$19.3 billion for NASA, no Space Elevator, or even a Launch Loop?

We could fucking colonize Mars if we put up an Orbital Ring. We're paying $2000/kg to send shit into space, when we could be paying $1.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbital_ring

(don't be a faggot and tell me we need carbon nanotubes to build a space elevator. Read the damn article)

For just $2 billion, we could put up a Launch Loop, and cut our costs to $1-300/kg. That means 10x as many missions as before, on the same budget.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop

What the fuck, Congress? Build this shit already!

Other urls found in this thread:

yahoo.com/news/congress-just-passed-bill-tells-211600351.html
slides.launchloop.com//launchloop.pdf
orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf
nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2010/advanced-chemistryprize2010.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=vjEwsooNHoc
counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_assistance_to_Osama_bin_Laden
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-30/al-qaeda-backers-found-with-u-s-contracts-in-afghanistan
aljazeera.com/programmes/headtohead/2015/07/blame-isil-150728080342288.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0gc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's because the earth is flat m8

We should also build a machine that travels through space at hyper speeds. Wtf I hate congress now

Here's the gay ass, no space-elevator, doesn't even have a half-assed launch loop news story:

yahoo.com/news/congress-just-passed-bill-tells-211600351.html

Tell me how peer-reviewed science says can do that for a couple billion dollars, and I'll gladly browbeat my congressman until it happens.

slides.launchloop.com//launchloop.pdf

>earth
>flat

the earth is actually a "3d" projection of a 5d figurine of an anime girl, which in turn is the waifu of a 7.5d cosmic weeb

that shit will cost more than 2 billion

dont need it when we have flying saucers but not everyone can handle flying saucers.

Yes lets waste billions on science fantasy for an empty rock wasteland. Space exploration/colonization is the biggest meme

where would we build it

ur whole life is a meme

An orbital ring, yes. A few hundred billion.

A launch loop would be about $2 billion. It's in the links.

indeed, lets give all that money to africans and arabs to have 10 children each

NASA has become a bureaucratic holding zone. all the real science is done in private firms they contract out to. any science firm/org with >40% women is 100% guaranteed to be a joke

t. Physicist.

You do know that there are asteroids that have trillions of dollars worth of minerals on them, right? And if our launch costs were $1/kg we could recover hundreds of times the cost of the space elevator?

And that's before we even get to completely solving global warming with space-based solar, and cutting your power bill 99% or so.

do you even into how much space trash that orbits our rock? shit would get rekt

>nasa
can only orbit my dick's balls

But then those trillions of dollars of minerals wouldn't be rare any more and would then be worth fuck all.

t. jamal

the cost of those materials would (heh) crater if we started mining asteroids though. having cheap palladium would be fucking awesome though. its such a useful element

its just an (((estimation))), in reality it would cost way more

Not realistic unless you have Robots/AI's to build it.

Also I made a new KB, feel free to stop on by:

>peer reviewed science

Too bad engineers, not scientists, are the ones that actually know how this shit works. As an engineer I can tell you that both space elevators and launch loops are a fucking pipe dream.

New KB thread thread,*

unfortunately this, we only need so much platinum

A launch loop would need to be near the equator.

An orbital ring space elevator could be anywhere, but close to the equator is better.

orionsarm.com/fm_store/OrbitalRings-I.pdf

Yeah cause bringing back metal rich chunks of asteroids is useless amirite?

Go die kike.

You have to build the launch loop to get the materials for the orbital ring up in a decent amount of time.

Relative cost is not the issue. The launch loop reduces the cost of the orbital ring, bigly.

>An orbital ring space elevator could be anywhere
would inevitably cross the equator at two points

Did you even read the shit I posted? Or were the kind of faggot I warned about being in the OP?

We have lasers that can break up any threatening pieces of debris, and we can put armor on the whole structure for a few hundred million.

we have not got peace on earth yet. someone will bomb it, whether it be a troll or terrorist, to leave their mark

The main issue with the space elevator is having the cable snap under it's own weight right?

space is finaly in private sector. nasa knows the fastest growth is through multiple independent entities so there investing heavily to further multiple cuases not just their own slopy funded ones

>hypothetical estimates.
the real world costs would be about 20x those costs , and as of yet we have no use for space beyond launching the occaisional satellite. deal with it nerd . space is gay

Nigger, I like your optimism but you're estimates at pie in the fucking sky.

Because we would have so much material abundance and everyone would have a standard of living many times better than we already have.

Don't just think in terms of dollars. Think in terms of the physical economy.

That's one. The whole nanotube meme also turned out to be just hype. We have no material strong enough to act as a "rope" between earth and any station.

DESU building an orbital shipyard is much MUCH more feasible and fiscally sound from a strategic perspective.

we need a lot more platinum and palladium than we can currently mine. if we have unlimited supplies you would see a revolution in electrical engineering

also....just to put this into the mix....what are tectonic plates? a ring in synchronous orbit is fine until you try and connect it to a ground that moves

10x the cost, and the projects still return over 10% annually. It's comical how good of an idea non-rocket space-launch is.

I'm with you op, enough's enough. Time is running out and we need to move forward in a big way. $2 bill is fucking nothing to the US with the way we spend.

Space is fake. (((NASA))) should be shut down.

There are laws saying that you're not allowed to leave outer orbit, except with a remote-controlled observer. Even the International Space Station isn't in outer orbit.

If you manage to leave, expect to get vaporized.

Space isn't real and NASA is a taxpayer scam

What kinda stuff would we see friend? What bright future would be born?

>no use in going into space yet
>worth building a real world 300+billion money space elvator that will take two decades to get up and running
>will inevitably be attacked by some muslim

good choice mate

we have plenty of metal here, the only ones that are very valuable are the very scarce ones

if you bring shitloads of them theyre not scarce and valuable anymore

remember that economy is actually driven by energy

Yep, you're the faggot who didn't read the articles I posted. And you're trying to slide the forum like a shill faggot.

You dipshits at Eglin Air Force Base better watch out. Trump might decide to try every one of you faggots for treason.

Would we stop needing materials to make things, when we start mining asteroids?

>will inevitably be attacked by some muslim
Sadly this

huge improvements in catalysis reactions (chemistry) we currently do reall inefficient synths to avoid using palladium because of price.

lots of matertial chem would be improved using platinum surfaces but its way too expensive now.

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2010/advanced-chemistryprize2010.pdf

Here's just a tiny sampling of the incredible power of palladium

as a physicsts/chemist the thought of unlimited paladium makes me wet

This would reduce the cost of the whole project to maybe $20 billion. It would slow it down, but we would still be able to colonize other planets and completely solve our energy problems within 10 years.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the idea.

What happens when Achmed and Mohamed crash a fucking jumbo jet into it?

>ramps

Gay.

A space elevator requires materials we do not presently have. Essentially we'd have to make an extremely lightweight but also very strong cable.

Think about how such a thing would have to be constructed: a rocket connected to at least 100 miles of that cable, one end connected to a spool. 100 miles of steel cable weighs 264,000,000 pounds or 132,000 US tons. The current Space Launch System under development by NASA has a maximum payload of 145 US tons. So, using existing materials we would either need a rocket a thousand times larger than what we currently have available, or materials that are a thousand times lighter.

And that's just to get the actual "tether" part working, not the actual means of propulsion (such as magnets or other cords) for the climber.

I've managed to avoid the Bogdabots for now and am posting from a semi-secure location. They came into my house yesterday, I barely escaped with my life.
A few days ago another based user posted this vid on another Sup Forums board, probably to avoid detection. Chances are he's dead now. He posted the Golden Bogpill. I will post it again for you, because the world needs to see this.
BE WARNED HOWEVER. VIEWING THIS VIDEO WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE AND HOW YOU SEE THE WORLD. IT COULD POSSIBLY ALSO CAUSE THE BOGDABOTS TO SEEK YOU, LIKE THEY'RE SEEKING ME NOW. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Gentlemen........ the Golden Bogpill

youtube.com/watch?v=vjEwsooNHoc

This. As if having a surplus of rare minerals and jewels and such would be a bad thing.

>Space exploration/colonization is the biggest meme

You want a resource war instead?

Even IF there was one nation left, they would be forced to colonize space eventually.

>expect to get vaporized
by who?

>There are laws saying
who is going to enforce them? with what?

>hurr durr a fucking space elevator
When will this dumbess brainlet meme fucking die?

You mean the CIA/Mossad? They're the only terrorists.

counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegations_of_CIA_assistance_to_Osama_bin_Laden

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-07-30/al-qaeda-backers-found-with-u-s-contracts-in-afghanistan

aljazeera.com/programmes/headtohead/2015/07/blame-isil-150728080342288.html

>within 10 years.
lmao. if you honestly believe anything serious in life moves that fast. it'll take 15 years of planning, 25 years for construction, and another 10 before the bureaucracy is worked out sufficiently to make it usable

>he thinks it will only cost 2 billion

>when we could be paying $1.
If you ignore the massive costs of building an orbital ring, this is true.

no you amerilard retarded. all muslims are terrorists. deal with it

its pretty hilariously retarded to think itd only cost 2b. a good super computer costs like 1b. you think a fucking space cannon will only cost 2b lmao, more like 300b+ nerds

While space elevators are a dumb meme you wouldn't just attach a string to a rocket and shoot it up. You'd launch small payloads of material to make the cable into space and manufacture it from a point in geostationary orbit.

Read the OP you fucking faggot!

Is it international retard day?

B-but...my uncle went to space on the shuttle columbia. You can't tell me he was lying

Agreed, MAYBE for the raw materials, but that doesn't include labor, equipment, or transportation costs. Not to mention it would be incredibly fragile. The best approach Imo would be to build a large space station in orbit and use it as a way station.

>Launch thousands of tons a day into high orbit

Then it is huge overkill at present, the need to launch mass into orbit is WAY below that, a number of orders of magnitude. It would wind up like the Space Shuttle, not being used at anything approaching the rate needed for viability, and that drives the cost per kilogram up again.

Flawless logic. Let's not live in a fucking scifi novel, because detective dipshit here thinks space is fake.

best plan would be to build a fusion nuclear plant and a big god damn rail gun. then just accept that human beings will never leave earth and work on building cyber brains so we can launch our minds into space since we will never breach the speed of light

>A launch loop would be about $2 billion. It's in the links.

Which one, I haven't found it yet.

I doubt you could build this for 19 Trillion

youtube.com/watch?v=3bkjiGGy0gc

Take off like a plane, go to space and land like a plane. Reduce fuel consumption by 80%, thus heavier payload.

There isn't a single material that we can effectively mass produce that can act as a space elevator. We're still decades away at the minimum for one, at least here on Earth.

What about for biotech? I'm in the realm of implants and cybernetics.

HOW MANY FUCKING FAGGOTS HERE CANNOT READ A GODDAMN OP!

This is a low-earth orbit space elevator. The launch loop isn't even in space, it's on the ground.

Sweet Jesus, we have some dumb motherfuckers in here.

I think you use "science" where you meant to use "engineering."

good luck user, most Alt Right don't even believe space exists!

the elevator would collapse on it's own weight

Which is comically easy to do once you have an orbital ring up. And at least economically viable with a launch loop.

imagine a "planet" that actually looks like that
like, what if most of its mass was concentrated on the lower part causing gravity on the surface to point generally down

good point mountain jew

Can we GAS all flat earth and "space is fake" fags with the rest of the degenerates?

i dont know man im a chemist. but id say yes because itd make gold much cheaper which is great for implanted materials since gold is pretty chill in the body. same with platnium. dont really know anything about cybernetics beyond neuroprosthetics? (is that what you mean to say by cybernetics). in which case the improved electrical throuput of platnium would probably be very nice.

4 faggots that didn't read the text of the OP. Not even the links. You didn't read the fucking text.

It's a giant circlejerk of illiterate, wilfully retarded faggots in here.

Theres asteroids out there made out palladium, platinum, you name it. Some of these could double or triple our supply of these materials and open new and lucrative commercial applications. Meanwhile Mars and Venus can eventually be made to be habitable worlds

Space is full of potential, you're just a pussy

5 faggots that didn't read the OP. How high can we get?

(((Gravity)))

Good goyim. Don't question anything.

>The main issue with the space elevator is having the cable snap under it's own weight right?

Certainly it is the first major stumbling block -- can't even start until you solve that one. No immediate solution is available.

>The whole nanotube meme also turned out to be just hype.

Do you have a link to this? I presume you are referencing the issue with what seem to be unavoidable impurities/non-nanotube trash in the mix -- I recall reading the article announcing this last year, but can no longer find it.

Yes, climate change deniers too. They're no better than Jews.

engineering and science are very intertwined in switzerland. all our large labs are translational. but NASA does science, even historically, more than engineering. so i was correct in my description. but both their engineering and science depts are shit tier because diversity.

translational science is the future imo. fundamental research is cool but jesus its so boring compared to translational work. being able to see the fruits of your research as a scientist is a ton of fun

>a platform designed to launch spy satellites, ie something not launched very often
>a platform designed to launch anything that can take 8-10g for a few minutes

these two are not the same

they just spend all the money on transporting narcotics anyway

Trillions and trillions of dollars from a single mission. Right now, you can build deep-space vessels because it costs so much to send material into space.

With an orbital ring, this costs a few hundred million. With a launch loop, it's tens of billions, but you'll still make it all back.

>implying we can't already send shit into space for less than $1/kg with top secret zero point energy UFOs

maybe the wikileaks insurance file key will be released soon and finally leak this technology to the public.

>$2 bill is fucking nothing to the US with the way we spend.

MFW I read that as a reference to a two dollar bill...

Neurotrophics is exactly what I mean by cybernetics.