Science this Week

All 6 of these things Sup Forums has a problem with, or will call Fake News.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O2thSsQrZUM
futurism.com/3-for-the-first-time-wind-powered-over-50-of-electric-demand-in-the-us/
spp.org/
marketplace.spp.org/web/guest/generation-mix
nature.com/ncb/journal/v18/n6/full/ncb3347.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't believe the Environment one, there is no fucking way we have enough wind turbines to do that yet.
Most of eastern Canada gets its electricity from Hydroelectric, natural gas fired, or nuclear power, with wind turbines bringing up the 4th spot in capacity.

Western Canada is hydroelectric, coal fired, and natural gas fired.

For example, Alberta alone needs 28,000 wind turbines operating (not sitting still) to provide its electrical needs.. I think we are nearing 1,000-1,500 turbines.

So yeah, I call falsehood on the "Environment" part.. the rest though, fucking awesome.

>wind energy at 50%
Oh shit, America's grid is about to go unstable if this trend continues. As a German, I already know the pain.

>3d printed house
Literally useless. It's just a facade without any of the necessary internals.

>OS saved on DNA
Why would an OS matter? I'll be impressed when they save an uncompressed video and play it back without error correction.

>regenerate bone and blood vessels
Will be in use in about thirty years.

>self-developing embryo
This headline can mean basically anything.

>NASA send humans to Mars
Good luck. Once Trump is out of office, a green dickhead will cancel it because of POLLUTION!!!.

>that wind energy bit
Yeah, at 430 AM, in a particular part of America
It's fake news

That's actually not true. With some exceptions, Sup Forums has always been pro-science (real science, not reddit-tier sensational popsci that gets "geekz" with no science knowledge that watch Bing Bong theery panties wet)

Elon Musk has always been Sup Forums's senpai. Remember the space elevator threads? The comfy ISS launches threads? Of course not, you newfag baiting sliding piece of shit

Fuck outta here

Not sure if bait or just retarded, 3D printing is the future, and storing information means the ability of storing anything you dumb fuck

>Mars

excellent. if anything, it will light a fire under Elon Musk's ass now that he has competition

>Embryo

synthetic embryo? they built it from atoms or what?

>3D Printed house

seems like more of an industrial marvel than a scientific one

>DNA

DNA is the storage medium of the future. Don't corrupt it by inseminating your computer

>Regenerate bone and blood vessels

now thats useful. good on them

>wind power

calling bullshit. there are wind turbines in many places but half the grid? don't think so

None of Sup Forums has any problem with any of this.
Sage

>3D printing is the future
99% of 3D printing news is retarded hyperbole. As is this one.

Here, have real news. From last year:
youtube.com/watch?v=O2thSsQrZUM

Not some retarded concrete printer that doesn't help anyone.

>storing information means the ability of storing anything you dumb fuck
Exactly. How the fuck is "they saved an OS" in any way meaningful?
A video without error correction would actually be meaningful. Meanwhile, I'd wager that there's error correction in an OS. It's also questionable how large their OS is, as it could be literally of any type.

>they built it from atoms or what?
Everything's made from atoms you Dingus.

atoms aren't made of atoms!

i mean, did they graft cells together, or make it in a chemistry set? i want more details

Have fun 3D printing a foundation including basement, after 3D digging the earth.

Love the second floor on these as well. It will boom in japan thats for sure, they have so much space there. Just like every other country that is russia.

the synthetic embryo thing is a little creepy but the rest seems good

No, they are made from subatomic particles, too many to list iirc there's about 16 in 4 sets of 4 or something.
And what I think they mean is an embryo that was made without parent DNA, just given DNA and left to develop.

>turning a human into a living computer
we cyberpunk now

The wind power one is fake news though.
60% of our power still comes from coal and natural gas. Only 5.5% comes from wind.

And it was a republican congress that passed that NASA budget you stupid fucking leaf.

Musk has always been better at getting subsidies than engineering.

>Getting humans to Mars with NASA
I see nothing wrong with colonisation, but I think the next POTUS will defund it into nonexistance
>Full OS on DNA
Not sure what the purpose is, but this is what happens when biologists have spare DNA sequencers to fuck around with I guess?
>First synthetic embryo
Not sure what the purpose is either, we've got so many embryos that the government is actively paying to get rid of them. Would seem kind of silly to make them artificially now.
>Regenerate blood vessels and bone
Not sure what the problem is.
>3D printing a house at bottom prices
Finally killing the housing jew.
>North America produces half its energy from wind power
I think they mean "green power", and not regular power that includes coals and nuclear reactors, wind energy is not that far along yet.

>humans on mars 2033
wishful thinking based purely on feels
>operating system on dna
ok, sorta neat, probably costs so much that it's worthless in practical terms
>synthetic self developing embryo
i am genuinely not cool with this, this is how dystopian sci-fi stories start
>regenerate bone and blood vessels
ok, potentially useful, but if it costs a bajilion dollars then it's fucking useless
>3d printed house
at 38 square meters calling it a house is a bit generous
>50% of grid powered by wind
still not even remotely as cost effective as nuclear, we could have solved all of our energy problems decades ago but it would cost too many companies too much profit so instead we build windmills to make ourselves feel better

>mars by 2033

iirc kennedy's challenge and the moonlanding happened in the same timespan

mars is 1000x further away than the moon for starters, and it's far enough from earth's magnetic field that the radiation would kill any astronauts before they were even halfway there

we also have a head start techwise than we did on the original moon mission. computers are exponential amounts of orders of magnitude more powerful, we know a shit ton more about space, engines, etc

the problem's not getting the ship there it's keeping the humans on it alive
to do that you have to make a life support system that lasts 1000x as long as the best one humanity has currently
and you have to bring 1000x as much of everything so costs are much higher, therefore the chances of a government actually approving the funding necessary for a mission with so little chance of any return on investment are astronomically small

Plus, we already were a shitload of times on Mars and had people on the Moon as well as having an active space station that has been in use for more than a decade.

Exactly.

Moon was piss easy with basic technology (just expensive as balls since our efficiencies were really low).

Mars will still be an expensive endeavor (in our terms, not the US governments) but with our much better technology it isn't a difficult situation.

Go NASA go!

Go SpaceX go!

Go Chinese Space Agency go!

(the others, try to keep up)

>50% wind
we're reaching bullshit levels that shouldn't be possible

>1961: first man in space
>1969: first man on the moon
>2017: but how do we counteract deadly radiation in space
pretty lame desu

What?

A submarine life support system keeps ±40 submariners alive for 6 months at a time.

Same system, but for 6 people instead (bring H2O).

Germany gets more than 100% at times.
That's NOT a good thing.

the 3D building printers seem cool. I wonder if in the future we'll seed these weird cube like objects that slowly scale the side of a skyscraper that it builds.

Germany is tiny and built a metric shit tonne of wind turbines.

North America is huge, and hasn't built anywhere near as many per-capita.

That's why we're calling falsehood.

And then one day we will be able to live on the 1AU ship.

The challenge is more in regards to radiation right now. The humans will face some serious radiation on their trip, that currently would amount to a whole lifespan of radiation.

>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who believe the Moon landing happened

Holy shit, shills or just really, really dumb teenagers?

>A team of scientists grow the world's first synthetic self-developing embryo
So an embryo can develop itself by its own and don't need the mother for that. Looks like it's not her body after all.

That's because it probably fucking is fake news.

>1AU ship
No material could handle the stress, and you'd probably have to dismantle a dozen planets to build that.
Something like Elysium is pretty doable tho

>(((Reports))) show the north american grid now produces half its energy from wind power

Found the sources on the wind

futurism.com/3-for-the-first-time-wind-powered-over-50-of-electric-demand-in-the-us/

The grid in question
spp.org/

The breakdown of power generation
marketplace.spp.org/web/guest/generation-mix

Its looks like a single (if large) grid in the mid-west/great plain area was able to temporarily generate 50% of its energy from wind. Note that this is
1. A single power grid, not all of North America
2. A low density, low population area
3. A temporary event
4. Fake news
This seems like a legitimately good and interesting development but is seriously overblown to the point of being a flat out lie for this article.

There is no space

He meant embryo made by atoms/inanimate materials put together artificially.
Aaand there's no such thing like this.

In fact they used stem cells in grown. Nothing inanimate.

Nope the study the pic is referring to isn't about that.

You can read another study showing what you said:
nature.com/ncb/journal/v18/n6/full/ncb3347.html

You're right, looks like it's not her body.

Go post your lame shit in /sci/.
We demand more informative meme.

This is great. Now watch this paper fall into oblivion because nobody will report on it.

Thanks spaghetto.

>I may live to see the day where I can genetically engineer TempleOS into my children's DNA

The wind power thing is clickbait, those reports showed that a grid operator responsible for powering 14 states managed to pull off 52% wind power on 4:30 a.m., Feb. 12.

Correct headline would be "North American grid supplier manages to get majority of electricity from wind power for brief moment"

>reports show that north america's grid now produces half its energy from wind power
fake news
t. engineer

>children's DNA

4channers dont reproduce

Actually wind power a shit, it's not reliable at all and prone to fluctuation, nuclear is legitimately better.

>"North American grid supplier manages to get majority of electricity from wind power for brief moment when wind was high and power consumption was low because everyone was sleeping."

>plebbit
>religion of the singularity
It's sad.

But let's see:

>mars
Putting people on Mars is a pointless political stunt and nothing more.

>dna storage
Why the fuck should we be storing information in DNA when it only has a half-life of 500 or so years and will just be full of other junk in a few thousand if shit hits the fan and we actually need it in the future, not to mention you'd have to forcefully give this shit to millions of pre-fertilized human eggs in order to have any sort of gene pool distribution.

>synthetic egg
I'm betting it's not as "synthetic" as they're saying.

>new technique
Won't be practical.

>cheap printed house
I can fucking guarantee that cost was just the materials to make the house, and not the cost of the materials time and labor to make and maintain the machine that made the house.

>wind power
Bullshit.

>Moon was piss easy with basic technology

Only a leaf could be this ignorant. Do you have any idea the temperatures in the engine bells or the pressure in the turbopumps? Easy? Get the fuck out of here.

The first one may have been faked, but Americans have been to the moon friend. If you get a good enough telescope and clear night, you can see the lander base of most of them.

If you really believe that the earth is flat. Fucking KYS! Seriously that shit is so retarded it hurts.

>oh cool a science thread
>shitposting
>EARTH IS FLAT!
>MOON LANDING WAS HOAX
>LMAO LETS STOP DOING SCIENCE CAUSE I PERSONALLY CANNOT THINK OF ANY USE FOR ANYTHING AND CANNOT COMPREHEND THE IDEA OF PROGRESSION OR IMPROVEMENT
if I had a button that killed every last person in this thread, I would press it with wrath and fury
even if it took my own life as well

Why would I have a problem with the DNA one? Wow people figured out how to pit nucleotides together in a custom sequence to store information. You could do the same thing with colored beads and string.

>a leaf

Eath is oblate spheroid.

Moon landings happened.

Science rewards people who show results for their work. So scientists, having bills to pay and needs to sate, do whatever they must to "show results"

And sensationalist science articles written by people with a narrative that science fiction is holy prophecy, gush all over it.

C'mon man. Rule one in science is question everything. Dogma will get us nowhere.

Don't you guys see. It's all there. Just put it in order next time.

CONGRESS PASSES AN ACT REQUIRING A FULL OPERATING SYSTEM TO BE STORED ON A 38-SQUARE-METER SYNTHETIC SELF-DEVELOPING EMBRYO THAT PRODUCES HALF ITS ENERGY FROM A NEW WIND-POWER TECHNIQUE THAT CAN REGENERATE BONE AND BLOOD VESSELS!

>not just generating a strong electromagnetic field around your ship like a planet

Earthlings, get your shit together.