Algebra II has to go. REALLY?

slate.com/articles/life/education/2016/03/algebra_ii_has_to_go.html

OH GEE I WONDER (((WHO))) WROTE THIS

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/math/algebra2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love the complaining about logarithms.

Fuck, if you aren't good at math you are a retard

>click link
>first thing I see...
>By Dana Goldstein
everytime.jpg

>I don't get it, so it has to go

i stopped doing math after algebra II but i still think it's perfectly fucking fine to teach.

>Countries good at math are totalitarian

What like South Korea and Japan? Kys

>Complex concepts like POLYNOMIALS
[math] x^3 [/math] is complex. kys brainlet

But literature teaches empathy!

Kill me.

/pol why not into LaTeX

>The Hacker known as jew.

I hope they drop it

It would make americans more dumb and make it easier for the rest of us to enter your prestigious universities

I mean the americans do kind of deserve it

Seriously. Having to suffer under CPM sucks major ass.

>by Dana Goldstein

dude i learned polynomials in 8th grade
How in any way is that considered complex

x=-b/2a there ya go that's literally all you need to know

>His most recent book, Higher Education? was written in collaboration with Claudia Dreifus, his wife, a New York Times science writer and Columbia University professor
>Dreifus

idk like I think people should just be given a choice, like as a practicing psychologist I had to study 3 stat subjects with only one of them actually being useful (the introductory one) and the rest being absolutely useless to me as I am not a researcher. Additonally the maths I learned in school was literally all useless after primary school and have not used once to date. But also in saying that I learnt a tonne of useless stuff in English, like how to write as if I am a journalist, or write about shake spears and other old gay cunts stories are so deep and meaningful. Which I am guessing skill wise like 1% of people at my school have used in their professional careers.

>x^3
>Complex concept
wew lad, the bait is strong on this one.

If you aren't good at all subjects then you're a retard, friend. If you're only good at math then you're probably autistic.

>math I'd hard an I'm incapable
>give me a degree anyway I earned it
Fuck off

Fuck off algebra 2 isn't even hard. If our schools were working you'd pass that in fucking middle school.
Are schools are failing because they pass anybody up to 11th, 12th grade. So you get people in math class that never really passed the last math class and we're just moved on. They never learned how to study for math, and can't catch up. They spend 5 hours a day playing video games and facebooking, but they can't fucking study. Get fuckig bent.
This is why high school degrees are worthless these days, and college degrees are getting to that point with meme state schools that find a way to pass almost anybody.
Math isn't hard, any human can learn math through calculus. If you are a human, you have the Brian for it, it's been shown over and over. People only think it's hard because the system has failed them.
And it is fucking bulks hit you don't use it in everyday life. I havn't worked out a clac problem in 10 years but I use that way of thinking all the time.
Fuck off with this dumbing down shit, they have been doing that for fucking 40'years.
Back in the 60s there was a big math push with the space program then in the 70s it was all "back to basics" hippy whining.
I'm not joking, students trained right can learn clac in like 9th grade, there is no excuse to dumb this shit down

Even this stupid bitch's husband gets it, there is truly no saving some people

You haven't mastered calculus by 18

You are a subhuman ape who should shot in the back of the head.

You write like you're 12.

>I must feel good about myself all the time so anything that I don't like is bad.

>In his new book The Math Myth: And Other STEM Delusions, political scientist Andrew Hacker
>political scientist

>even the doctors, accountants, and coders of the future shouldn’t have to master abstract math that they’ll never need.
Confirmed for having no idea what programmers actually do. Fuck, even shitty web devs still have to know algebra.

HUMNNA HUMNNA

Also the author she refers to is Andrew Hacker, hmmm where have I heard that name before....
>The first published mention of the term WASP was provided by political scientist Andrew Hacker in 1957

>[Hacker] contends that whites' deep-rooted, pervasive racism against blacks has created "America's version of apartheid."

>Hacker, Andrew 1929–
>Politics: Republican. Religion: Jewish

>DIrectly linking to slate

But seriously, algebra isn't hard >inb4 linear algebrafags.

Algebra II was so easy when I was in school; what the fuck is the problem?

My friend said he was in the states and heard a commercial with a politician saying they will "get rid of that letters math".... I feel bad for you guys.

that nigger's like "algebruh?"

Algebra and calc is great, stop being a piss-baby faggot cause you're too stupid to understand it

Double chan used to allow LaTeX posts. They might still allow it. Can't imagine the autism we'd see if it were allowed here.

Terrible math human here.

Algebra II actually made sense to me.

With tutors available and the internet, any information is right there to help. I do not understand this article.

Somehow, it's like Sarkeesian, but uglier.

someone post that yuri bezmenov pasta about subversion and education

Math and science are the only subjects that matter since they're the ones where you have to actually apply your knowledge, rather than just memorize facts, like history

This is how they turn us into nigger cattle. Mark my words.

>tfw dropped out of high school because of algebra II

Wait but Algebra is fucking useless these days. We can just use calculators and computers in our POCKETS to calculate shit. Fuck math and fuck white people

But what about alternative paths? here is a gem from that article explaining why you're clearly expecting too much from students

>it’s probably a good idea to give students multiple math pathways toward high school and college graduation—some less challenging than others
>some less challenging than others
>more degrees = good, regardless of their rigor required to obtain them

>(((Goldstein)))

jews trying to make the goyim even dumber

I'm not familiar with american education terms
What does algebra II include?

Cool, just devalue (((degrees))) even further since you want retarded people to get them too

khanacademy.org/math/algebra2

Not trying to bait or boast here, but when do you guys are supposed to learn how to solve integral equations?
Just trying to get on what level US schools are operating atm.

The most basic formulas and equation.

It's not even Trigonometry or Calculus stuff.

It's just really simple stuff.

>coders don't need Algebra II

I fucking hate these people with a passion, so God Damned Much. I started programming when I was 12, and had to teach myself Calc I just to do a lot of shit I wanted to.

>Education - "Distract them from learning something which is constructive, pragmatic, efficient. Instead of mathematics, physics, foreign languages, chemistry...teach them history of urban warfare, natural foods, home economy, your sexuality...anything. As long as it takes you away..." (U.S. students rank near the bottom of developed nations in math and science testing, despite having spent more money per pupil than any other nation. See Charlotte Iserbyt's The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America)

That feel when you're a junior stuck in an algebra class full of freshman

(((Stein)))

Every
Fucking
Time

Carpenter foreman here.
I use algebra and geometry every single day that I am on the job, and it's the reason why I am the boss.

Filthy Jews are lying to you when they say you'll never use algebra. Everyone with a skill uses algebra because algebra is the ability to problem solve and plan with numbers.

>anything that causes people to give up needs to be dropped from education

Why stop pretending and just stop education all together? Then nobody would ever drop out. Just give everyone a diploma.

Mission accomplished.

>I showed the book to my husband, Andrei, a computer programmer who loved math in school. He scrunched up his face. “People don’t use Shakespeare in their jobs, but it’s still important for them to read it,” he said.

>“It’s not the same,” I told him. “Reading fiction builds empathy.”

>“Math helps us understand the world around us!” Andrei replied. “Like how derivatives demonstrate change over time.” He smiled, and I could tell that for him, it was all clear and beautiful.

>But I had no idea what he was talking about. In high school, I found math so indecipherable that I would sometimes cry over my homework. I don’t think I ever understood what a derivative signified 15 years ago, when I was struggling my way to a low B in calculus—a class I was convinced I had to take to pad my college applications.

Women.

College

How can I learn math user? I have adhd and get confused easily.

>implying memorizing isn't the top factor in intelligence

iktf i was already embarrassed enough for being a fat manlet virgin pussy, when this started happening it really cemented my inferiority in reality
i gave up on my life entirely, i'm just waiting for an excuse to go participate in some racially motivated violence and hopefully die

Do they want to mislead and make people dumber so it gets easier for them to rule over us? Or what? What the fuck is their problem?

you write like a woman

(all lowercase without a period, so you know i'm not upset lol)

not really

you can have a photographic memory and not be very smart

American here, in my public high school we briefly touched on them my senior year in Calculus. Bear in mind that this was considered an AP class in California and one that most students did not have to take. I always wondered why Euros called us dumb and then a few years later I learned about their curricula.

>everyone posting on Sup Forums on a Monday morning is an expert in advanced mathematics.

Ok

Jesus fuck you are dumb as fuck....kek.

women in education have to go

How do you self-teach Math, Sup Forums? start from the basics like Multiplication and Division again and then go advanced?

Khan Academy
Literally just watch the videos and do the exercises. They're easy and short to follow so you won't have dificulties. Also, get a perscription for Aderall or something.

Depends, really smart students in like 10-12th grade (16-18 y.o.) but some people towards the end of college (~22 y.o)

>tart from the basics like Multiplication and Division

oh god forgive me but

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Kek some retard with a iq of 100 bitching about how they cried doing math. The weak should neck themselves Jesus Chirst

Were you actually taught integral equations in school? Are you oldfag or had a good teacher? Because I sure wasn't. Didn't stop be from graduating with a computer science (inb4 CS is not STEM) degree, so I at least learned that much in the end

Is it strange that I really like algebra? I started with it 2 months ago just for the fun of it and because I thought it might be usefull for programming.

Granted, I haven't reached the hard stuff yet. So it might get more annoying later on. But, currently actually enjoying it and a lot of it actually seems usefull in real life.

this sjw shit is starting to look more and more like what the baddies in Atlas Shrugged did to education

I mean, I don't see how that's a laughing matter, I'd love to do it all over again. I don't want to old and forget everything

Most people here should have passed high school. Got their GED at least. What are you doing with your life if you didn't do that.

Some here should be in college at the moment.

A very few should have already passed college. Got a job already.

Very very very few might be wizards/drop outs.

And despite all that you would still be able to do Algebra 2 man.

Good luck dumbfucks. Don't forget to replace it with gender studies or some shit

Just buy a text book and read it.

Or steal one and read it.

Do all the exercises and don't cheat yourself.

I stopped understanding mathematics completely when they introduced letters to it.. Still I understand the importance of the mathematics. Without it, what can you really do to success or even support yourself?

It feels like my inability to understand math also affects to my overall condition.. like the spatial recognition while trying to build something, I can't really understand distances properly while driving a car, I keep bumbing to stuff etc and my thoughts are a complete mess

>tfw got 69 in algebra 2
>tfw have a calc 3 test in 3 hours

Complete the Khan Academy math course up to Integral Calculus -> Download or buy Serge Lange's Basic Mathematics -> Solve the book -> Complete the Khan Academy's course on ODE's -> Download Spivak's Calculus or Apostol's and solve them as well.
More advanced than that are the niche fields like Topology to which you should also get books, if you want to dig deeper.
If you feel ready to tackle the book "An Infinitely Large Napkin" do it, it will grant you a basic overview of advanced math

I finished algebra 2 in middle school

to be completely honest, I did rather poorly on calculus in high school, but I think that was for unrelated reasons, and not being stupid

I tried unsuccessfully to tutor a black woman 'why we need variables' but it never stuck

eeh but they got a point though 95% of us won't eve use advance maths.

but then again liberal arts are a waste of time as well. so there is that too, but will a Jew ever bring that up for discussion.

Shock therapy.

Thanks. maybe I can be less of a failure and do the GED. I just wanted to leave School, it just test after test after test. I didn't learn anything, I felt like I was getting dumber and I'm not saying I'm a hidden "genius" or anything, I just wanted to learn to understand it not learn to be a robot.

>actually seems usefull in real life.
Wait till you get to group theory

Get A GED.

I'm 24 years old, idk if it passes as an oldfag.
Yet again, I'm not trying to boast or anything like that. When i was in school we started learning integral calculation in 10th year (i was 14 i think).
Thank you.
Tbh it's not an easy thing to understand for kids. I remember crying because i couldn't solve some problem from homework.
I think advanced math should be optional in school. Just get into math class if you like it.
Saying that, Algebra II is a basic course that you can learn as an adult in a day or two. It's not anywhere near hard.

Just go to khanacademy. It explains thing really well and doesn't overcomplicate things + plenty of practice exercises.

Never give up bro!

its a d at least, get on youtube an look up some videos.

I understand you perfectly. But do you have a job and such? What do you do without completing High School?
Also, when following that path, use notebooks. Write your notes and a brief summary of each topic so you can review and understand the topics better.

i bet she used a computer to write that article.

a computer.

the sheer amount of math and science that has gone into the design and manufacture of the modern computer is staggering.

and she wants to take away math just because she "doesn't get it".

I am.

Yeah, I work, at least I have that for now. I really want to do all this, but it feels like I have a mental roadblock. Public school really did fuck me up.

Less algebra n stupid witey shtt more common core

It's done as a masters level module at the University of Helsinki

>24
So, 2 years older than me
I think its mainly your teacher's attitude. We were only taught how to pass EГЭ in highschool math classes, no limits or integrals in sight

Like wtf we learn that shit in the 11th grade,now if you are a gypsy shitskin and cant go past 4th grade that is a tottaly different story....

>polynomic equations are advanced mathematics
I might be a shitskin, but you're a true subhuman. Kill yourself.

I did, and was enrolled in trade school before my class even graduated. Got my HVAC certs, and it's been gravy ever since. Best thing ever was dropping out of high school