CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY, RANDOM GENERALS THROUGHOUT THE WEEK

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask questions, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. If you feel something is missing, please ask for it to be included while providing a link. As usual, we will be assisting with answering questions.

We are currently in our period called Lent. Lent is a period of fasting, prayer, and refinement that lasts the forty days before Easter. To understand the rules of Lent, here is a link for you:
catholicnewsagency.com/column/rules-for-lent-1114/

Today is the Wednesday of the second week of Lent.
Here is your daily readings: usccb.org/bible/readings/031517.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!

>Catholic Encyclopaedia
newadvent.org/
>Vatican Documents
vatican.va/archive/index.htm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>The Collection of Old Catholic Pastebins
pastebin.com/u/wolfshiem
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Recommended Youtubers
pastebin.com/BW3T7qFS
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/cache/epub/130/pg130-images.html
youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
youtube.com/watch?v=xcwCK8pFZ0M
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A
youtube.com/watch?v=JbhIHF3SHm0
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
youtube.com/watch?v=UuhYZrn4flo
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0
youtube.com/watch?v=dymL1-ckMwg
youtube.com/watch?v=orZo6JesM_E
youtube.com/watch?v=FbGwaO0ZVzM
youtube.com/watch?v=vJCl6ylgwCU
youtube.com/watch?v=WFor50sjEaw
youtube.com/watch?v=DlIG5gNa-Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=e-jOgH0PP2I
youtube.com/watch?v=MROPDOKkKd0
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
youtube.com/watch?v=kK5AohCMX0U
youtube.com/watch?v=bb9ro4IQqi8
youtube.com/watch?v=hhkRQUtD_Jo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKeiTTN7Wc
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JiMqzN_YSXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

wrong board faggot

Thanks for the bump, wouldn't be the same thread without you.

>page 5

gutenberg.org/cache/epub/130/pg130-images.html
Well anyway this is Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" my new favorite book Anglo Catholicism is the best Catholicism

Are you wearing your fedora, edgelord?

Christian music list. The first list is modern music, the second is hymnals and more traditional music. Feel free to recommend additions on Catholic and Christian Generals.

>Marvin Gaye's "God is Love"
youtube.com/watch?v=nA7C815I104
>Woven Hand's "My Russia"
youtube.com/watch?v=vbUXbMn2zfc
>Woven Hand's "Consecration"
youtube.com/watch?v=xcwCK8pFZ0M
>Om's Pilgrimage Album
youtube.com/watch?v=IK6wJUNirbs
>Sufjan Steven's "No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross"
youtube.com/watch?v=qx1s_3CF07k
>mewithoutyou - Sun and Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=9Mor7syiTSE
>Young Oceans - ONLY YOU
youtube.com/watch?v=imEvd1ck4fs
>Bobby McFerrin's Joshua
youtube.com/watch?v=7DRketdk07o
>Psalter's Lord's Prayer
youtube.com/watch?v=L3rT8YVJERk
>Janelle Monae's Victory
youtube.com/watch?v=mJ6wkOO_MEA
>Johnny Cash's God's Gonna Cut You Down
youtube.com/watch?v=ht7mxF9XZiA
>Nick Drake - Pink Moon
youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
>Mary Lou Williams - Anima Christi
youtube.com/watch?v=4fv14RFfRLA
>Dr. C.J. Johnson's "You Better Run"
youtube.com/watch?v=bchmhIdZgys
>Judee Sill's Heart Food
youtube.com/watch?v=KI7sOZQaSkI
>Dave Bixby's "Free Indeed"
youtube.com/watch?v=JhHBGRr2XDE
>The Revolutionary Army of the Infant Jesus' "Beauty After the Fall"
youtube.com/watch?v=mcbJFvje29A
>Podnieś Mnie Jezu
youtube.com/watch?v=JbhIHF3SHm0
>Baba Yetu
youtube.com/watch?v=IJiHDmyhE1A
>Audrey Assad's "Restless"
youtube.com/watch?v=UuhYZrn4flo

part 1/2

>worshipping a kike

Traditional Music

>Veni Veni Emmanuel
youtube.com/watch?v=xRi1GDoaQu4
>Agni Parthene
youtube.com/watch?v=Mw8XE3j_c0U
>Je Nai Nan
youtube.com/watch?v=vL1lxH7s3Cw
>Come Now Font of Every Blessing
youtube.com/watch?v=b1bSlS6OWTs
>A nice collection of South Pacific Island hymns from the movie The Thin Red Line
youtube.com/watch?v=7A1Z5CEXDM4
>Hail Mary in Latin, done in song.
youtube.com/watch?v=ihNVhFA_X3I
>Hallelujah Chorus done suddenly in the public
youtube.com/watch?v=wp_RHnQ-jgU
>Heyr himna smiður
youtube.com/watch?v=e4dT8FJ2GE0
>Jezu Chryste Panie Miły
youtube.com/watch?v=dymL1-ckMwg
>Ludu mój ludu
youtube.com/watch?v=orZo6JesM_E
>Cидить Mикoлaй y кoнeць cтoлa
youtube.com/watch?v=FbGwaO0ZVzM
>Fiez-vous en lui
youtube.com/watch?v=vJCl6ylgwCU
>Mass in D major, Op.123 "Missa solemnis"
youtube.com/watch?v=WFor50sjEaw
>Krzyżu Święty
youtube.com/watch?v=DlIG5gNa-Oo
>Taize Alleluia
youtube.com/watch?v=e-jOgH0PP2I
>O Dniu Radosny
youtube.com/watch?v=MROPDOKkKd0
>Dies Irae
youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0
>Deum Verum
youtube.com/watch?v=kK5AohCMX0U
>NON NOBIS DOMINE, SED NOMINI TUO DA GLORIAM
youtube.com/watch?v=bb9ro4IQqi8

>le dead kike on a stick meme

digits.

was lent invented by jews?

Wat? No

Bump

How are you doing today, wolfie?

I'm just asking cause the old testament is jews and stuff. didn't know for real.

Pray that Francis changes his ways. Pray for Cardinal Burke and the other brave cardinals.

This is Christ in the Desert by Ivan Kramskoi, I like this picture as it shows that all of us, even the son of God, Jesus Christ, can be tempted. Whenever life gets hard or your faith falters look and see the many others have struggled similarly.

How do we reconcile the fact that Catholicism (and Orthodoxy and Coptic) is intrinsically opposed to nationalism?

I do mean to answer you sincerely though:

Religion involves many topics.
>humanities
/his/
>politics
Sup Forums
>supernatural
/x/
>science
/sci/

Without even going into relevant boards when you get into Christian/Catholic THEMED things.
So we good.

Lent is a practice that is reference to Jesus' preparation before His ministry and is a prelude to Easter.

Oh, sorry. No, it's a tradition where people give up something for 40 days because Jesus was in the desert for 40 days

Reminder that God does not exist and you're all larping faggots

>inb4 Fedoralord go away

If he doesn't exist, why do you care?

I am Protestant. I never learned the differwnce between Catholicism and Protestantism. Care to explain?

I don't have a good reason desu

Who here fasting for lent? It's getting hard lads

How do we deal with the problem of slutty little boys seducing priests?

Please post pictures of slutty little boys.

I always fast to keep my trap form.

Excellent, but still visibly struggling from my austerity at Lent so not happy about that. I'm working on it!

How're you, man?

This reads as a loaded question to me. How would you say it is opposed?
Christianity has a 1000+ history being protected by Christendom. Christendom is nationalist in essence and not immediately opposed to some other forms of nationalism as well.

Catholics believe you need to atone for your sins to get into heaven. Protestants believe that their belief alone is good enough regardless of their actions.

You didn't go to school either?
>Catholic Church has a practice allowing donations to the church to constitute 'goos works' for the forgiveness of sins
>Some Monk in bumbfuck, Germany decides this shit is fucked and promotes his own church
>A bunch of other people copy him
>Then Europe fights a massive fucking war for 30 years, and no side wins

Is that it?

DEUS VULT!!!!!!

The apocrypha, transubstantiation, praying to saints, the primacy of the pope, salvation. There's a lot more.

That didn't really answer my question.

Pretty much. Theres other shit too but thats probably the biggest difference.

Protestants have no quality control, commit Sola scriptura, and have no hierarchy to answer to so people can interpret anything however they want, which is why you get crazy creationists and young earthers.

Catholics do not commit Sola scriptura and put tradition above scripture as we know it is not literal, and have a very strict hierarchy and catholic law, meaning catholics all believe in the same thing and are unable to stray or differentiate under the catholic title

Thank all of you for answering me. I will do some research and soul searching.

>fapped to THAT again literally hours after confession

>False profit
>digits are for kek

youtube.com/watch?v=hhkRQUtD_Jo

Christendom is not inherently European. There's nothing in the Bible to suggest that the treatment of Christians differently, according to their nationality, is moral.

>we know scripture is not real
I've never heard of this
>inb4 random articles
Show me bishops saying this

Well despite your shitpost I'm glad you bumped the thread.
We're always here when you want serious discussion.

>Authority:Protestantism is defined partially by its support of the Bible as the sole and final authority on the faith. All focus, then, is on the texts. On the opposite end, Catholics uphold authority in apostolic succession. They believe that the teaching authority Christ gave the apostles was passed down and begat things such as the Bible and oral teaching as well and such and still exists with their church now. Further, they uphold that prime apostle's office - Peter - and call the one in that seat the pope. Because of this Catholicism leans partially on a more established history of scholars and spiritual masters to establish their culture (not doctrine) rather than solely the scripture.

>Justification: They disagree on what makes one justified in preparation for salvation. Protestants believe that belief of God and trust in His teaching is what makes one just. It manifesting in your life is just a reaction to that. Catholics believe that belief of God and it manifesting in your life is what makes one just.
This is just the tip of the iceberg but its a start for you. They are worlds apart. My family somewhat treats it as altogether different religions in comparison to, say, Protestants like Southern Baptists.

Nah lad I saged

>he doesn't use the catalog

God have mercy on your soul.

There are an innumerable amount of differences because anyone can make a Protestant church. The main point being that it doesn't acknowledge the authority of Rome or its bishops.

Pray sincerely user. Also if your left eye causes you to sin, pluck it out...maybe think about getting rid of your internet

Question, when making the sign of the cross is it necessary to have your fingers in the cross position with the other 3 fingers upright or not? Pic related

Threadly reminder that Roman Catholicism is the CHURCH OF SATAN. You are all being deceived. Consumed by the great serpent.

Speaking about authority and hierarchy, other than the pope, are all bishops equal?

>Christendom is not inherently European.

That's tremendously vague and you have to explain what you mean by this.

>There's nothing in the Bible to suggest that the treatment of Christians differently, according to their nationality, is moral.

There is an overarching morality that exists between all people but how to apply it very much depends on the kinds of people you are with. In that sense then treating depending on their nationality is entirely practical in nature rather than mentally constructed.

Interesting, I may convert if that is right for me.

I said literal, not "real". It's called Sola scriptura and it's not allowed in catholicism.

>Comfy thread with beautiful art
Wouldnt consider myself Catholic, but thanks a mil lads. Sights for sore eyes

Wouldn't the apostles be more correct than someone alive today?

Another question: I am a gay trap, is there a chance I could go to heaven?

Bump
>based Fr Coughlin
m.youtube.com/watch?v=gXKeiTTN7Wc

You're a mess and you need to stop. That would help a lot. When I say help, I mean help you. It doesn't really effect us at all.

seconded, not Catholic tho

get on your knees boi.

He probably already is

kek

I shouldn't have posted this. I'm sorry

>worshiping your enemys god

Please tell me you fags dont do this.

Yes, which is why catholics turn to apolistic tradition we have maintained and the guidancd of genius learned theologians like Thomas Aquinas rather than allow every individual person to interpret the bible differently and incorrectly for their own. Creationists and young earthers are the result of this heresy and they discredit the whole of Christianity

the most liberal pope and still:

>Pope says gay marriage is from satan
cnsnews.com/news/article/pope-francis-same-sex-marriage-move-father-lies-total-rejection-gods-law
>Pope Francis speaks against Gay adoption
wdtprs.com/blog/2013/12/pope-francis-shocked-by-gay-adoption-urges-bishop-to-speak-against-it-boldly/
>Compares trans rights to nuclear arms race
independent.co.uk/news/people/pope-francis-compares-arguments-for-transgender-rights-to-nuclear-arms-race-10061223.html
>Pope Francis says that there's no salvation outside the Church
catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblogs/2013/06/03/pope-francis-is-under-attack-for-saying-that-outside-the-church-there-is-no-salvation-its-a-poke-in-the-eye-says-one-presbyterian-why-hes-wrong/
>He excommunicates an Australian priest supporting gay marriage and women clergy
huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/24/pope-francis-excommunicates-priest-greg-reynolds_n_3983059.html
>Pope Francis is against gender theory and for traditional gender roles
ncronline.org/blogs/francis-chronicles/pope-francis-gender-theory-problem-not-solution
>Pope is against abortion
lifenews.com/2015/09/23/pope-francis-on-abortions-innocent-victims-its-wrong-to-look-the-other-way-or-remain-silent/
>He Encourages the use of force against ISIS
businessinsider.com/pope-francis-endorses-use-of-force-against-isis-in-iraq-2014-8
>Pope Francis is against lukewarm "faith"
catholicnewsagency.com/news/pope-off-the-cuff-to-priests-religious-indifference-makes-god-vomit-69700/
>The Pope is misquoted often
christianpost.com/buzzvine/7-times-pope-francis-was-misquoted-132679/
>The Pope Rebukes Communist Cross
telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/bolivia/11729834/Pope-rebukes-Bolivias-President-Evo-Morales-for-gift-of-crucifix-mounted-on-hammer-and-sickle.html

>protestcucks will deny this

We should all work to have control of our desires rather than be controlled by them. Keep yourself from things that tempt you as you work on your self-discipline. Self-control is something I'm struggling with a bit this Lent as well.
God be with you, user. And most definitely pray as recommends.

Sure you did m8.

All bishops are equal to each other and oversee an distinct. Archbishops are just bishops that oversee larger district and multiple districts but are equal otherwise.

There are also Cardinals, which are basically papal advisers and have a history of being almost exclusively archbishops.

Thomas Aquinas is a bit of a heretic Platonist tho

Not unless you truly repent and cease immediatly

Please elaborate

name one god who isint norse or greko/roman

You seem to be mistaking Christendom for a nation of people, it isn't. Its more of a shared political structure that enforces a set of shared values.The two (nationalism and Christianity) clearly contradict at a very basic philosophical level, such that only one can be more important than the other. This is what Ted Cruz meant when he said "I'm a Christian first and an American second." Its why Amish schools don't have American flags, and why the Kulturkampf happened. You can either be loyal to God or your people first, you HAVE to choose. Christianity, obviously, says God first. This is why I say the two compete in ourhearts and minds. So I ask again: how can a (devout) Christian be a nationalist?

Damn.

If you repent, obviously.

Any particular kind of art you want? I may be able to provide.
user, stop being stupid.

Are you claimng Thomas Aquinas was an evolutionist?

Evolution is hoax.

youtube.com/watch?v=JiMqzN_YSXU

Native American gods

For you.

How learned is learned enough? Shouldn't we look at the culture of the time to help us understand the Bible? I could guarantee that the Church fathers and theologians would absolutely refuse to be called infallible.

I can't sorry I just read that recently I haven't gotten to him yet I'm working on St Augustine. I was just being contrarian

good summary of the main difference between prot and catholic.

Thank you, Wolfie

>Practice Lent by donating to us :DDDDD
Nah that's bullshit famalam.

Geert didn´t won because he is agnostic, Western europe is lost, because the agnosticism ruined it.

Do you think that church will be finished any time soon?

Such a shame that it's half past midnight here, I would love to be here with you. Have a bump tho my brethren and have a nice day.

That's not what lent is

>Church
>Finished
Satan tier heresy

Only interesting thing about catholic church in the whole world.

I'm talking about the building in his pic, you dumb Pole

This is not politics you stupid fucking cuckolds.

Praise Jesus. Mary is absolutely based.

How nu r u?

OP have you ever attended latin mass?

Look at this women. On their knees praying to the father, the son, and the holy ghost

>Religion is not political

Thanks for the bump

No, I'm claiming he is a very good source of guidance and his interpretation is a good land mark to rally around.

>How learned is learned enough?
More than your average American protestant pleb running around interpreting things on what ever whim they feel resulting in openly gay clergy or all women clergy or ridiculous creationism.

If you are christian you agree with an objective morality, not a subjective one. If you believe in objective morality than it is not up for individual interpretation, it is either right or wrong. Catholicism has a rigid structured interpretation that is consistent throughout the institution while protestantism has zero structure or control and results in wildly chaotic beliefs and often obvious heresy. Catholcism has codefied interpretations of morality while a every individual protestant priest can tell you what ever he pleases with zero authority above him to monitor or correct him. Those are the simplest terms I'm able to see it in but I'm always willing to hear other arguments.

imagine being this guy