Wages rise on California farms. Americans still don’t want the job

Immigrants are the people who do farm labor in the US, mostly Mexican and mostly illegal.

Even at $16 an hour American citizens don't want the jobs, it's hard work in the open sun often in remote areas.

>latimes.com/projects/la-fi-farms-immigration/

Other urls found in this thread:

border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/462-
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

16 an hour for California is pretty low

Make a job a shitty joke-job for a decade, then don't be surprised if people don't see the job as a serious option when things change. If things stay changed, people will come around.

I'd show her hard work in a remote area

$1 below minimum wage. Not enough for anyone except vegan eco nutjobs to want to do

**above, fug

sorry

$16 a hour might work for your shit flyover meth state but not in California. Six figures is considered poor down there.

Wtf i love immigrants now

Fuck borders and laws and shiet

I'd love to do farm labor. It's good for the mind and soul to humble yourself.

We have H-2A visas for that reason, farmers just don't like to comply with the regulations. Fuck them then let their crops rot, we're overproducing food anyway.

Not in the central valley where the agricultural jobs are. You can buy a house in a semi-decent area in Fresno/Bakersfield for those wages.

The only issue is living in Fresno/Bakersfield.

PLEASE LINK ME TO ONE OF THESE SO I CAN APPLY OR A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL

I WILL DROP EVERYTHING IN MY LIFE TO START ANEW SOMEWHERE

PLEASE LINK OR GIVE ME # TO SOMEONE WHO IS OFFERING $16 AN HOUR FOR UNSKILLED LABOR

GIVE ME A LINK
GIVE ME A LINK

GIVE ME A PHONE NUMBER
GIVE ME A PHONE NUMBER

For a job that lasts 3 days...
No thanks I would rather be gainfully employed.

>The only issue is living in Fresno/Bakersfield.
Yup. Worst fucking air pollution in the US since the mountain winds don't do shit for the armpit valley.

If I lived in Commiefornia I'd do the job.

Probably look for an ad on Craiglist in California.

We have a similar situation here, we bring is quasi slave labour to prop up failing farms by essentially subsidising their businesses. I want to leave the city and start farming, but I can't because the gov keeps putting their fingers on the scale and changing the market conditions.

You guys have it worse, being the home of Monsatan. Agriculture needs to be done better.

If you are a white person, you will legitimately get stabbed if you try and work that job. Serious. The mexicans consider certain jobs 'theirs' and they will fucking kill you if you try and take it.

Be real fellas. I live in California and 16/hr is more than most people make.

Assuming OP is correct and not just being a massive faggot, the labor markets just need time to adjust. may also have a point here.

Minimum wage is 10.50 in California you fucking idiot. Stop being so detached.

Your fucking state shouldnt even have farming STOP STEALING OUR WATER YOU SMUG FAGGOTS

YOU MUST ALSO SIMULTANEOUSLY REVOKE WELFARE BENEFITS TO ENCOURAGE GAINFUL EMPLOYMENT.

Then I fucking guess 16 is too low. Raise it up until Americans will do it. High wages is not a good argument for slave labor.

Silverado Farms, if you read the article you fucking inbred.

>Illegal immigrants leave jobs
>Legal immigrants take them

This is not a problem.

I believe some of the problem was also the expectation that white people commute to those remote areas, while mexicans get packed into a truck and put up in a shitty trailer for overnight which le happy agricorp prepares for their mexican serfs.

$16/hr is way to little. How are the health benefits? If they provide really good health benefits and good leave I would fucking do it but I highly fucking doubt it and I'd fucking wager that they treat you like garbage

Who We Are.
Silverado Farming Company provides a complete range of vineyard development and management services. Our staff works according to our long-established vineyard management principles. We’ve trained our team carefully to assure that all its members are dedicated to superior client service and we’ve established a set of best practices that we bring to every one of our vineyard projects.

Tell us about you!
Send us an email or give us a call.
Our email: [email protected]
Our phone number: 7072519081
Post results.
Fucking spam blocker

>16/hr is more than most people make.
Doubt it. I lived in/near LA, OC, SD for about 2yrs rent is insane everything is more expensive.

my post is satire because i see these threads all the fucking time and no one ever answers me. i don't care what the farm actually is you potato nigger. thank you though, now i don't have to read it.

California is one of the most expensive places to live. All last week every msm had a story about How Google employees couldn't afford to live near work and were commuting two hours.
I'm sure Google pays better than berry picking. It's not always the wage, it's also the cost of living. I live near a large peach industry, and they paid minimum until this year. Now it's 10. I can get mcjobs for 15, that aren't seasonal.

No...

Mate it's fucking disgusting here, alcoholic failed farmers being given basically free labour which encourages them to continue failing at farming.

I was talking to some German working holiday visa holders, one of them nearly lost an eye because the drunk farmer was getting her to put up fences when she'd never done it before. Basically idiot farmer keep tightening the wire until it snapped, then it whipped over her face and luckily she had glasses on.

That farmer needs to go broke, lose his farm and someone more competent needs to take his place. ARGHH Keynesian/Uni lecturer economics is fun to debate, but.. so mad :/

Most Europeans get a second year long working visa if they work in primary industry/farming for 3 months, at least that was the rules a few years ago. You guys should all drop out of university and come here on that visa instead.

When they stopped allowing us to keep niggers in chains for picking cotton, people also said that the industry would collapse. Then someone went and invented this.

Arguing about wages is a distraction over a nonissue. The farms will take a bit of a hit for a few months. And when the people call their bluff, they will invest in the widely available picking machines that have been around forever. Then life goes on.

>Stop stereotyping people racist!
>Only illegals work these jobs!

IT IS A JOB THAT LITERALLY LASTS 3 WEEKS A YEAR

Bullshit. I worked as a dishwasher with Mexicans for years. They're more surprised white people will take those shitty jobs than frightened or angry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By dishwasher you meant giving old blokes a soapy wank yes?

Also do Mexican massage parlours even exist?

This is dishonest establishment propaganda. Farms that were about to go out of business were saved and enjoy a backlog of legal labor because they raised wages.

NOPEEEEE. Dishwasher beaners are the city beaner types. That is like a different species from the 100% farm spic.

That's only $33,280 before taxes, no idea what taxes are like in the states but I assume since it's California I'll guess you lose 15% of that to income taxes so that's $4992 lost to tax so effectively you're making around $28,288 a year for back breaking labour, if you worked full time which farm work isn't, so essentially they aren't paying people enough to raise a family in a good situation and they're far enough away from population centres so they don't have a lot of people they can employ. In short supply and demand makes it so they'll have to pay people more in order for it be worth people's time.

>Five years ago, Klein had a crew of 100 workers pruning, tying and suckering his grapevines. Wineries paid $700 for a ton of grapes, and Klein could make a solid profit paying $8 an hour, the minimum wage.

>Last year he could barely get together 45 laborers, and his grapes sold for only $350 per ton. Klein knew his vines were done for when California passed laws raising the minimum wage to $15 by 2023 and requiring overtime for field laborers.

So the article is meant to attack Trump, but goes on to state that if Bernie or Hillary had won (and actually done what they said they would do), the farms would have failed anyway due to ridiculous minimum wage increases.

good luck user

some Interstellar type shit. vital work absolutely no one wants to do, and hey, i'm no better, i had a whole vineyard i sold off for lots of monies because fuck work.

>give people free money
>pay them less for hard work
>wonder why people would rather just get free money
i hate his gay earth. also food prices are artificially low to the point where if you're not a corporate farm it's almost impossible to farm for your main source of income. i would rather pay more for food and less in taxes.

>You guys should all drop out of university and come here on that visa instead.

A long time ago when I was a broke ass, I tried that. Your gov. makes it nearly impossible.

Believe it. Its a struggle for most people.
Cal-ag is basically imploding due to the idiot state government and mismanaged water policies. At this rate it wont be too long before all the farms are gone unless a major policy change occurs.

They can use H-2A to import some white farmers from Ukraine or some shit but not a bunch of fucking beaners that abuse gibs and vote for dems.

Then let us run out of avocados and steawberies and rocket salad. We don't deserve to eat well if we're not willing to work.

>can't afford to live within 2 hours of any where in the bay area
that's fucking retarded. i live within 1 hour of SF and own my own house. maybe they can't afford to live where they want or to get the house they want. but either can i. fuck these pieces of shit thinking they are owed something extra. im sure there are plenty of places in oakland or richmond they could afford to live but choose not too.

15 is generous. It's 15 federal, plus Cali state tax, depending. If you're an independent contractor, then you are responsible to pay your own taxes. It's commonly done to offset high wages and benefits, and employers aren't required to carry insurance on you. It's not year round, it's like 4 or 5 months at most.

what? i would love to go farm in NZ. hows the pay n shit? i just want to live on a farm and die.

Yeah it's weird, my gov goes full Trump for some visas, spousal, normal immigration requests etc. But then if you want a H1 style visa (we call them 457's) you can get almost auto sponsorship.

Anyway, come out ya cunt: border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/462-

You'll get by working in NZ, loads and loads of Europeans on working visas so it's a good chance to fill up that cock passport. Do it! Should be really easy to get the work visa, cos you're a seppo and all

nevermind

guys i am legitimately interested in doing this.

i go on jewgle maps and the lowest rent i can find is $1550 a month

wtf..........

Most cities in cali minimum wage is $15 an hour.

>Burger flippers are gonna mass migrate from the urban shitholes for a dollar more an hour to do manual labor for 3 months out of the year.

> i live in vallejo or oakland, why doesn't everyone move to nigville.

people here are idiots if they think 16 is really anything. you'll be taking home probably less than 1,000 a month, with 2/3rds of that going to rent. you can't save, you can't raise a family, you can't do anything.

wages in california are fucked because they will pay jack shit and there will be some idiots that go after it. the only places making money are city and state employees.

im a manager of a facility and i barely make $54,000, before taxes. and i've been there for 6 years. there is a woman here, making $15 an hour after TEN years. wjy? because she's an idiot that settled for that amount.

No dude like literally washing dishes

What the fuck is going on in Australia

Just admit that you're too fucking lazy to look at a fucking article regarding a farm job you fucking neet.

Why do you have to be such a fag Bruce.

So what, legal guests worker programs, why are you making some fallacious argument that this legitimizes illegal immigration or an open border in ANY WAY

If the wage is insufficient to attract legal help then the employer should increase the wage and then raise cost to cover the difference.

I fail to see a problem

Raise wages until americans apply. If the farm cant pay its an un profitable business that should go bankrupt

This would result in competitors of a similar situation having an advantage by increasing their prices to a mark only a little bit lower. Then competition would just continue as it always has but at a higher price ceiling. So yes, you're right. This is a nonproblem.

Bullshit.

I live in an area SURROUNDED by farms in ca and never seen them once advertise for jobs. They clearly don't need labor desperately

Clearly 16$/h is not enough.
All they have to do is raise it higher.

Problem solved.

Since food is always in demand, at least a fair amount of businesses will always be there to grow food, even if a lot go out of business. The existing ones will pay a salary legal labor will want to work for with bennefits.

are you implying people in CA actually want to work?

>implying that area is remote

This.
I was talking to a coworker the other day and he complained he can barely afford to rent a house in one of the most expensive areas of my city.

I suggested he move to the outskirts (which here in Italy most of the time means 3-5 miles out, not 6 gorillion miles like in the US) and he had some bullshit excuse for not moving to every single one of the areas I suggested.

Well then I guess you'll keep renting and "barely making ends meet" while I own my apartment despite being 8 years younger.

Are you surprised a place full of trust funded liberals who don't want to work aren't doing manual labor jobs?

wowie

>15% tax is considered high

I make 25K/year gross and after all taxes and social security I get less than 18K

Next step: require people to move to where the jobs are and take the jobs before being eligible for welfare.

Also, they might have to raise wages more.

I'll do it, I dont see anyone hiring around me.

I don't give two shits what a Cali farmer wants.

Ur mum works at a massage parlor ;)

As a non migrant try working on a farm that employs migrants. It's a strong possibility you will be chased off at knife point on the first day.

You are a threat to them and not welcome.

lmao then nobody will pick the fruit or vegetables that end up on ur table dumb fuck

>Clearly 16$/h is not enough.
>All they have to do is raise it higher.

Literally this, the market will find a new equilibrium.

This is what all the burger "muh magical hand" posters have been talking about for years, but now they want to kvetch about it.

Instead of housing assistance, there should instead have busses to migrant work farms. They can stay at the same quarters the migrants do. And en masse displacement of H2B and illegals with Ghetto blacks will ensue.

the AUTOMATE

pretty simple. once you develop or pay someone to design your machine. Others will also buy into it.

ohhh snap

You'd get skin cancer after a year. Make the brown people do it. Or build robots to do it.

the two hours is probably on the company bus

>Californians are Americans
Yeah right.

i was the only white cook at a chinese restaurant in san antonio and no one gave a shit. you are either from the midwest or the south because you've clearly never been around mexicans.

Can canadians do it?

>Even at $16 an hour American citizens don't want the jobs
Really? Even in leafbucks I would take that job in a heartbeat. Snowbeaner invasion when?

We need slave labor for our cash crops

They still havent got over losing war on Slavery have they? Poor Democrats

what does this mean??

Then it needs to keep going up until Americans do want the job. We can even subsidize the farming if necessary with the money saved not providing a haven to illegal immigrants in our emergency rooms and public services. But that probably won't be necessary

Then it is worth more than $16/hour. That's all there is to it.

Like this wants to work in California? I don't think so.

it's funny how these lefty retards complain about capitalism yet if the usa was actually capitalist all these businesses that can't afford to pay for employees would go out of business. instead what happens is these businesses exploit the exchange rate between the dollar and the peso and undercut american workers. this stifles innovation. before a business would need to find creative ways to stay afloat and make a profit, but no more of that shit. you can just hire mexicans

also don't refer to mexicans as slaves. they are not slaves. they work for 10 years in the usa, take the money back to mexico and live a middle class life in mexico. they aren't slaves. they are exploiting us and fuck us. the only mexicans who stay in our country are the criminals

As someone who has actually WORKED in the fields in Merced. I can attest to this, working in the fields is hard fucking work with long hours. When i was a teenager, My dad threw me out there to work for 6 dollars an hour and then kept almost all the fucking mlney just to show me how life would be if I didn't go to college and wound up working a shitty job for a shitty wage.
is not wrong because it is a shit job. but that's a better wage than what Foster Farms is offering. Me personay, if I had no other choice I'd do it. That's plenty to live off of in the Valley. So, idk why more people don't jump on board.

Yes, I'm sure the Mexican worker sweating his ass off in a farm field feels like he's getting a sweet deal.

He's sure sticking it to those dudes in Silicon Valley and Wall Street!

And the sad fact is, a lot of Americans want to work in the magic land of paper-pushing and air-conditioning.