Buddha was bro-tier philosopher who started wealthy, tried poverty and abstinence...

Buddha was bro-tier philosopher who started wealthy, tried poverty and abstinence, and died a fat and happy man watching his concubines dance to music. GLOBALISM has spent 2,000 years trying to make him into a god that shuns material things.

Really recirculates the cognitive abacus beads

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai
google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=buddhas death&gws_rd=ssl
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclining_Buddha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha#Mahaparinirvana
accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html
accesstoinsight.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The Buddha Pill is a fun one
>If Gibralter don't have a Sup Forums flag why do you?

Buddha was never fat and always poor, you're thinking of the Chinese god of luck. The fat one is often misrepresented as such

Why should I live in history, huh? I don’t want to know anything anymore. This is a world where nothing is solved. Someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we’ve ever done, or will do, we’re gonna do over and over and over again.

Buddha wasn't fat you dumbass, that's a myth from Western culture.

Pretty sure Buddha started as a prince then left his dad's palace and realized that the way to end suffering is by getting rid of desire, and somewhere along the way he remembered all his past incarnations.

That's bizarre pro-Chinese revisionism.

The original Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, was born in either India or Nepal some 2500 years ago. The son of royalty, he renounced his wealth and position and lived as an ascetic. After six years, enlightenment (aka awakening) occurred, and the Buddha’s realization was that the right path was one that followed neither renunciation nor indulgence.

He traditionally died happy and fat, enjoying a last meal of fine truffles.

Confusing the historical thinker with various gods and birth-death reincarnation fantasies is rife, but the Buddha was actually just a based dude.

Does Gibralter have a motorcycle race?

Bump for buddah was a piece of shit.

Budha was not fat.

Budai was a chinese monk which is also known as the laughing budha or happy budha, he is recognised by some to be an incarnation of budha.

Phra Sangkajai was another monk which folk culture tells, he was so beautiful people told he rivalized budha himself, he considered this inappropriate so proceed to disfigure his body by becoming fat.

Both where bald, budha had curly hair.
Thats the easy way to recognise a budha statue.

I already pointed out that's bizarre Chinese cultural revisionism. It's like the Christians deciding that this mother goddess or that is really the Virgin Mary or that a pagan idol had been baptized. The state murders buddhists in China.

That's just bullshit to make the cultural assimilation easier.

>buddha was curly haired, always

What a silly little nonsense person you are. Asceticism is a slave mentality that Buddha himself rejected AFTER he found enlightenment. Fat Buddha statues that are not literally Chinese idols someone has mislabeled represent Buddha's "joyous involvement with the tragedy of life".

I dont always get my philosophy from fat men, but when I do I make sure they were a kings son and never had to work a day in their entire life.

Sure, just keep making shit up.

What is it with Brits and projection? You just spilled your spaghettis everywhere claiming every fat buddha statue is secretly a Chinese idol instead. Are you retarded? There are huge fat buddhas more than 1,000 years old that people have lived around for generations.

"The laughing Buddha" or Budai/Pu-Tai in the OP pic is a different character from Chinese folklore from the 10th century, it's often confused for the founder of Buddhism Siddhartha Gautama who was Indian and a thousand years older.

Go read a book.

Also not brit.

buddha isnt a person, its a title, referrring to people who have found enlightenment and nirvana. There are many buddhas, the one in your picture (笑佛) isnt even the original one.

Dumbass

He wasn't fat you idiot

>You just spilled your spaghettis everywhere claiming every fat buddha statue is secretly a Chinese idol instead.]

You're wrong

THIS.

The Dharmapada is the ultimate omega-level red pill.

>There are huge fat buddhas more than 1,000 years old that people have lived around for generations.

Yes there are, because the fat "laughing Buddha" was based of a tenth century Chinese monk.

He started off rich

Then he did some Hindu shit that involved starving yourself

Then he realized it wasn't working and decided to meditate under a tree to figure shit out

A servant girl gave him some rice, he ate it knowing he wasn't supposed to, and liked it

And that is how Buddhism was born

No, my OP pic is specifically a Thai statue of Siddhartha Gautama. You can also tell by the symbolic earlobes and eye detail, striking features Siddhartha Gautama is said to have.

Read

Go tell the Tibetans that their ancestral Buddha statues are actually a Chinese monk who was born a millennium later. You fucking idiot.

All this "misconception about a misconception" Snopes-tier garbage is cringe-inducing.

Ascetic Buddha is a meme, fat buddha is historical. That's the point of this thread.

It's also awful that Redditors are posting "sum ups" of Buddhism when Siddhartha Gautama never preached reincarnation, life after death or karma as a literal mystic force.

Thats not Buddha but sure whatever nigger.

It may be supposed to be him, but it's obviously been influenced by the Chinese Buddhist culture.

Siddhartha Gautama was never fat, and a large part of the story of his enlightenment centers on him fasting to near death. Classic renditions of him show him looking either normal or very emaciated.

There are many Buddhas.
The one in OP's pic is usually called the laughing Buddha and symbolizes the good life..

Are you fat?

>Bhudda was fat
No. Concubines maybe. He liked his small meals and would never gorge.

He was made fat because if they showed him skinny, he wouldnt be viewed as a role model to starving peasants xD

Sorry but Bhudda wasnt fat.

>Siddhartha Gautama was never fat, and a large part of the story of his enlightenment centers on him fasting to near death. Classic renditions of him show him looking either normal or very emaciated.

He stopped fasting after he achieved enlightenment. This is in his basic history. He then preached "living life with conscious joy".

Buddha not being fat is on the same level as Siddhartha Gautama having mystic buddha powers, teaching reincarnation until nirvana, the existence of the "upper circles" of spirits and all the other Chinese religious nonsense he was saddled with.

Hey search for tibetan budha statue and tell me how many fat ones you find

This one even has the curly hair, maybe that will assuage your autism

Lmao, you can literally see the bag.
Budai is almost always shown carrying a sack, which never empties, and is filled with many precious things, including rice plants (which show wealth), sweets for children, food, and the sadness of the world. His duty is protector of the weak, the poor and children.

Also, that's some nice jungle in tibet.

Oh, shit. A bag.

Damn, if every fat statue with a bag is a secret Chinese monk, you have a cast-iron argument there. It's like arguing with a schizophrenic.
>jungle
Those are perennial trees ffs you dumb fuck, when will you stop with the making shit up, since you said it it's been eerily prescient

Oh, and
>can't be gautama! it's a Chinese monk cause they are bald!
>okay this curly haired one
>Chinese monk!

>Damn, if every fat statue with a bag is a secret Chinese monk, you have a cast-iron argument there.

You understand that statues take quite a lot of effort to build, and that symbolic elements "such as that bag) are very obviously there for a cultural reason?

His fasting had nothing to do with enlightenment. He preffered to eat minimally waaay before he developed any sort of philosophy. He just had a low apetite.

Please explain the cultural reason for the elaborate folds in his robe, and for having his hands exposed instead of more easily-constructed folded away

>MUST BE SOMETHING HUH THEY BOTHERED TO PUT IT ON!!

Jesus christ

He has to have a robe and hands dumbass, he doesn't have to have a bag.

At least read fucking anything, dude. He was fasting continually until he reached enlightenment. Even the cultic karma wizard people document this.

His hands could be hidden in his sleeves, massively reducing labor ion the statue. If you couldn't even grasp that point I wonder how you function.

You seem upset

Rereading your posts, you sound like an angry ascetic-wannabe with almost no knowledge on the subject beyond pop culture.

Are you even aware a traveler's bag is symbolic of the Buddha's journey, or that a bag as a symbol is not always literally a reference to Chinese culture?

Why? Sorry if my curt posting offended your feelings, I attempt conciseness

yea your wrong on most of that.
but i get that when westerners try to emulate eastern culture it's cringey at best.
i have respect for his philosophy and Taoism
but i don't dress in orange and shave my head, that's not my culture.
also when people think of Buddhism, what they are actually looking at is a type of Tibetan Buddhism, which is a mixture of the teachings of Buddha and traditional Tibetan folklore, which comes form when a wealthy prince was trying to create a trade path through Tibet, came up against the tribal people, and introduced them to Buddhism.
he got the trade path after that btw.

OP, are you fucking retarded? I'm Asian and was raised Buddhist and Buddha did not die fat.

Buddha died while reclining. Look at reclining Buddha pictures and tell me where the fat is.

google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=buddhas death&gws_rd=ssl
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reclining_Buddha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana

Like this? Fuck off chun li

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parinirvana
That's the point of the thread. The historical Buddha didn't say anything about karma, reincarnation or spirits beyond the material. The dogmatic form shat endlessly everywhere has almost nothing to do with him.

The quasi-historical account is that he died after his last meal of fine truffles and/or pork.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gautama_Buddha#Mahaparinirvana

Please answer op

"Ten thousand things
all in this breath
grasping hold of emptiness,
there's really nothing to say."

"Ten thousand things all in this breath" - why are people in this world so busy? Just for this one breath. They say, "busy, busy, mine, mine." Busy a whole lifetime for "Me". When this breath is cut off, you let go of the whole universe. Why not let go from the start? "Grasping hold of emptiness", you want to talk about "real" show me one thing that is real, there is nothing real from the start. Every day morning to night, gathering things, big and small, valuables, money, name, recognition, gathering it all up into your lap. Like you're holding the golden key. Busy your whole life for nothing. Acting like a thief, why not put all this energy to liberation? Put this mind to the Path. Everyone in the world is controlled by this. Shed this control and you'll be free, content, liberated. The Lengyan Scripture says, "Though there are words to speak, none of these are real." Talk and talk, like flowers falling from heaven. It's all worthless. And so, "there is really nothing to say." If you think what you are grasping is real, there's no good in that. Because you can't take it with you.

No, I'm actually not, or a buddhist either.

>Every day morning to night, gathering things, big and small, valuables, money, name, recognition, gathering it all up into your lap. Like you're holding the golden key. Busy your whole life for nothing. Acting like a thief, why not put all this energy to liberation? Put this mind to the Path. Everyone in the world is controlled by this. Shed this control and you'll be free, content, liberated

Dumb cows in the field are likely pretty happy. Ignorance is bliss. Do you value your own, circular-tautology-based bliss more highly than humanity's ultimate destiny to spread among the stars?

>there is nothing real from the start.
Welcome to the quantum indeterminate mystery universe, friend. We can only experience it by refuting and intercomparing very limited subjective experiences, but we hope you enjoy your stay

>humanity's ultimate destiny to spread among the stars
its unethical to perpetuate life, especially to other planets. this sentience-virus must die on earth.

Ooo, neat!

Do you actually believe that?

How could terraforming barren and desolate, lifeless and mineral-poor planetoids into Edens of nature and beauty by unethical?

Your ethics are shit. Long live Man!

Jesus christ you're a cuck.

Also buddhism is just another very successful cult like christianity or islam

>yes good goy, give up on the world and devote yourself entirely to me instead, I alone know the way to salvation!
Fuck you and fuck your fairytales, cunt.
There's no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no liberation, no salvation, this is all we get.

What is dharma?

Emptiness :')

On a side note
Atma me hi paramatma hai

life isn't achieving anything - we just procreate because of our programming, end the tyranny of this one molecule and stop the wheel of suffering once and for all.

Moksha

>ITT retards debating over icons

never going to acheive anuttarasamyaksambodhi desu

>implying I don't constantly recite that mantra

Reincarnation does not exist.

Pic related.

''''Australian intellectual ''''

>reincarnation is real
[citation needed]

What does reincarnation mean smartass? You are posting the graph of human population and somehow it proves that reincarnation does not exist

In Buddhism one is condemned to a perpetual cycle of birth and rebirth moving up and down the hierarchy depending on the virtue of the life one has lived. Those who obtain enlightenment escape the cycle and do not need to be rebirthed.

The growing population means there are more people "reincarnating" than there are souls to reincarnate.

Therefore reincarnation under Buddhist theory cannot be true.

He was born a prince nigger

I am not sure about the Buddhism beliefs but in Hinduism you can be born as anything an animal or a plant

Here is a sutta for you: accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/waytoend.html

This site has translations of the Pali Cannon: accesstoinsight.org/

I encourage everyone in this thread to read some of the key teachings if you are curious about Buddhism. Many suttas are the Buddha responding to questions and critiques, so you are likely to find your questions have already been answered.

Buddhism believes this, too. Buddha remembered his past lives as birds and monkeys and shit.

Tldr be nice and don't think bullshit

I saw a Buddha on the road once. Now I'm in prison. Thanks Buddha.

Siddhartha Gautama didn't, those are fairytale propaganda memes of Hindu imperialism.

The actual dude said nothing about life after death or the karmic wheel.

Legit, follow-the-path aspiritual Buddists do exist. Away with the borrowed Pakistani mystic pseudo-dogmatic heavens and hells but still reincarnation

sauce on that? I know reincarnation isn't a literal thing in mahayana, but for shakyamuni?

Bills don't pay themselves nigga.

But you concede that he wasn't fat, right?