Wants to preserve European culture

>wants to preserve European culture
>doesn't practice Historical European Martial Arts
Why are aren't you practicing HEMA yet, Sup Forums? Even in my mongrelized shithole country a lot of people study and practice Historical European Martial Arts.

Keep your culture alive, find your nearest HEMA center and learn some real swordsmanship.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e68nuAcSuWQ
youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg
hemaalliance.com/club-finders
youtube.com/watch?v=HlIepkY6jlY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>7710052▶
> >wants to preserve European culture
> >doesn't practice Historical European Martial Arts
> Why are aren't you practicing HEMA yet, Sup Forums? Even in my mongrelized shithole country a lot of people study and practice Historical European Martial Arts.
> Keep your culture alive, find your nearest HEMA center and learn some real swordsmanship.

Because it is not european culture.

European culture includes fine antique weapons, yes. It also includes the evolution of the sword to the small sword and the spanish, Iralian and French schools of Fence which evolved into modern fencing.

HEMA is the American disease. Reproduction shit and larping asshats.

youtube.com/watch?v=e68nuAcSuWQ

>HEMA is the American disease.
Literally like 90% of HEMA videos on youtube are yuro

>>HEMA is the American disease.
>Literally like 90% of HEMA videos on youtube are yuro

I'm sorry I actually like European military history and the history of arms and practices as a topic and hema is repugnant.

What's next?

Flintlock dueling with sponge bullets?

....that's not a bad idea, come to think of it

>....that's not a bad idea, come to think of it

Sigh.

>I'm sorry I actually like European military history and the history of arms and practices as a topic and hema is repugnant.
Okay? What does that have to do with my post? HEMA is far from an American thing, the only reason I even know what it is is because of a random YT video of swedish dudes smacking each other with edgeless swords.

In America we use guns.

I never got fencing. Shit's gay as fuck.

One solid swing from a well-made broadsword or even a long sword to the base of the rapier blade and that shitty little frog sticker is in pieces.

or better yet just wear a breastplate and a good, thick glove and rip the thing out of their hand.

>Historical European Martial Arts
Fencing is a real sport and have tradition. that didn't exist in the 90's, how the fuck is that a tradition

Or just shoot them.

>....that's not a bad idea, come to think of it

the first kill of a german on the western front in WW1 by the British and Irish force was Hornby of the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards , using his sword.

Why don't you act out the battle of the Somme with rubber barbed wire while you are at it.

The entire concept of HEMA is a joke. It is not how sword or bayonet was studied, drilled or learned

Literally a LARP thread

That too.

Bet as far as melee combat goes the rapier is such a stupid weapon. Are you trying to kill the fucker or give him a boo-boo?

Firearms made martial arts obsolete. But they are great for fitness and in a event you don't have a firearm. INB4 "Guns are for pussies"

>the first kill of a german on the western front in WW1 by the British and Irish force was Hornby of the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards , using his sword.
Thanks for that pointless fact, I'm glad that you really felt the need to let everyone know that you know that. Everyone on this board now thinks you're a real cultured worldly genius now.

But, HEMA still has nothing to do with the US

>I never got fencing. Shit's gay as fuck.
>One solid swing from a well-made broadsword or even a long sword to the base of the rapier blade and that shitty little frog sticker is in pieces.
>or better yet just wear a breastplate and a good, thick glove and rip the thing out of their hand.

You would not last 10 seconds against someone trained in fence with a small sword, dispute your narcissistic delusions they were quite frequently used to do bloody murder for 100 years. Do remember the propensity for the human body to freeze when run through with a metal rod.

>But they are great for fitness and in a event you don't have a firearm
In the event that you don't have a firearm but do have a sword?

Just learn boxing or some shit.

Fencing is all about the lunge. If you lunge from outside a broadswords range and leave your blade through a vital spot on your way back then the opponent just gets to die with grievances. Of course the olympics took this to the extreme and put bungee ropes on them.

Fencing was historically done with larger and heavier weapons than the foil you see today. Even a rapier was a solid weapon that could stand up to a bit of abuse if required. It's the whole 'form not function' bullshit that turned it into the stick waving of modern fencing.

Boxing is a martial art. I never said carry a sword

>doesn't practice Historical European Martial Arts
It's not like I carry a longsword with me at all times, better to learn how to fight hand-to-hand or getting a concealed carry permit

Fight smart, stay alive

>Fencing is all about the lunge. If you lunge from outside a broadswords range and leave your blade through a vital spot on your way back then the opponent just gets to die with grievances. Of course the olympics took this to the extreme and put bungee ropes on them.
>Fencing was historically done with larger and heavier weapons than the foil you see today. Even a rapier was a solid weapon that could stand up to a bit of abuse if required. It's the whole 'form not function' bullshit that turned it into the stick waving of modern fencing.

Don't start pimping eastons ancient art started in 2001 at me. I appreciate the man has to make a living and I feel for his lack of dignity and painfully erroneous youtube sperging.

>It's not like I carry a longsword with me at all times, better to learn how to fight hand-to-hand or getting a concealed carry permit
>Fight smart, stay alive

Are you a deadly ninja?

I'm impressed. You must have killed many with your bare hands.

>You would not last 10 seconds against someone trained in fence with a small sword
Well no shit I'm not trained, what kinda retarded fucking point is that?

I'm pretty sure someone who is trained with a better weapon would dominate a trained fencer. And how are you going to run a man through who has plate armor?

Armored Knights >>>>>>>> gay frenchmen and pastaniggers thrusting with wimpy little remolded ice picks

If someone is walking around in full plate armour there is literally no reason to engage him unless he is also riding a horse.

>I'm pretty sure someone who is trained with a better weapon would dominate a trained fencer.

Yes. A gun. Otherwise probably not. Behind the bullet, the tip of a fencing blade is the second fastest-moving object in Olympic sports.

Doesn't even need to be full plate, just the torso.
If you cant move arms and les or your head out of the way in a combat situation you shouldn't have even gotten in the fight

>Armored Knights >>>>>>>> gay frenchmen and pastaniggers thrusting with wimpy little remolded ice picks

youtube.com/watch?v=YhwIrONyEzg

Brazil don't you have your own gaucho machete fighting style?

Stop sucking euro cocks and realize that any of these HEMAfags would shit their pants if they were in a life-threatening situation.

>Why are aren't you practicing HEMA yet, Sup Forums?

I dont want to be in a room with a bunch of cringy, pagan LARPers practicing for their next event

You're literally citing a movie? lmao

Who was the LARPer again?

Classical Greek naked wrestling. No chubbies allowed.

Well enjoy the rapier through the eye.

>You're literally citing a movie? lmao
>Who was the LARPer again?

Contemporary autopsy style account of injuries suffered in a small sword duel, both participants died.

"his Grace dead upon the bed in his cloathes, which he presently cut off, and upon searching the body carefully, observed that the [radial] artery of the right arm was cut in two, which he judged to be the immediate occasion of his death: He found likewise another wound on the left side of his breast, three inches above the nipple, two inches broad, running obliquely from the left to the right, and above eight inches deep; besides those a third wound in the right leg, about three inches broad, running from the outside of the shin bone obliquely under the calf.

The opponent.

" found three wounds, one on the right side, penetrating obliquely the whole body, and coming out on the left above his hip; another very large one in the right groin, cutting the great [femoral] artery, which he took to be the principal cause of his death; and … had in addition three fingers of his left hand almost cut off."

The fight was over in two minutes.

1712 Charles, Lord Mohun, and James, Duke of Hamilton,

All having drawn, immediately the two Principals made such violent and desperate Passes, or rather Stabs, that they soon fell down mortally wounded, and the Lord Mohun grappling with the Duke, and shortning [sic] his Sword, gave him that Wound on the fleshy Part of the Shoulder which reach’d his Breast, and was said to have been given him by Macartney after he fell.

So what? This entire thread you've done nothing but spew information no one asked for or cares about. The guy you quoted didn't say a damn thing about how stab wounds can't kill you. Surprise, cutting your femoral artery is a bad idea.

What I'm getting from your spergout is that you saw a thread tangentally related to something you care about and used it as an opportunity to try to impress some random strangers with your trivia knowledge.

gotta join a hardcore larp group or a renfair performers type thing. the only western martial arts easily available are boxing and wrestling. gonna try to find some fa/tg/uys at the local renfair, and see if i can get ringen lessons in exchange for being a faggot with them.

Wtf I love smallsword now.

>t. Sidesword fag

Honestly in close ranges a blade is often the better choice over trying to aim and fire a bullet. That's with a simple knife lunging within five yards, not even counting a full sword within one to three.

Also fencing is just a whole lot of fucking fun.
Seriously worth a try.
And for actual killing rather than scoring points with foils, yeah; get a proper saber instead of a prop toy made for competitions. Little slower on the point but the techniques are performed the same.

>Honestly in close ranges a blade is often the better choice over trying to aim and fire a bullet.
Thanks for chiming in mister combat expert, let me guess you have over 300 confirmed kills?

Psh, no. But I've taken classes with a guy whose done fencing for thirty years and I have the sword related in reality.
Only downside is it isn't really concealable and thusly not as practical as just using my CCW in most cases unless you're cutting through wilderness.

>So what? This entire thread you've done nothing but spew information no one asked for or cares about. The guy you quoted didn't say a damn thing about how stab wounds can't kill you. Surprise, cutting your femoral artery is a bad idea.

Yes I see you are stupid and ill informed but you don;t have to be a cunt about it, i you want to dress up in padding and play sword fights with blunted metal poles go ahead. Just don't pretend it is anything to so with swordsmanship.

The people marketing this crap are preying on the gullible and ignorant. No wonder you are into HEMA you are the marketing target.

I don't know shit about fighting so correct me if i'm wrong , but isn't Krav Maga the most useful/realistic "martial art"?

So you fencing sensei is the one with the 300 confirmed kills then?

I could give a fuck about HEMA, like I said earlier I'm an American, I'll use a gun.

I'm just calling out a sperg who can't keep it in his pants.

>I could give a fuck about HEMA, like I said earlier I'm an American, I'll use a gun.
>I'm just calling out a sperg who can't keep it in his pants.

Humm...

>Literally like 90% of HEMA videos on youtube are yuro

Arsehole.

I am busy practicing modern European martial arts. That includes shooting, military field tactics/sop, and CQB.

And? Me pointing out that most of that shit takes place in yurope somehow means I care about it?

Keen insight as usual Batman!

If someone pulls a sword on me it's 10mm TO THE FACE.

Are you the same Alaskan dude from /k/ years ago? if so jesus you have an unhealthy boner for that g20

>And? Me pointing out that most of that shit takes place in yurope somehow means I care about it?

The majority of hema clubs are in the US..

bullshit

>HEMA is the American disease
most hema schools i know of are in Germany and the largest hema event (Swordfish) is in Sweden

Dude, they literally use period manuals from the 15th-17th centuries and combine that with best practice from what they can figure out and what sport fencing says. They're about as historically accurate as you can be given that most of the knowledge for manuals of arms was never really written down that well basically for any ancient period (see: 2000 BC to ~1500/1600ish AD).

I don't even do HEMA. You just need to untwist your fucking knickers.

100% talking out your ass

Yes.
Krav maga is what the isf use

It teaches you to kill or seriouslydisfigure,so sparring is hard to do.

That's my Glock 29. It's easier to CC than my 20

No. It's a fucking meme.

Pretty much just boils down to cheap dirty tactics. Attack his eyes and shit. Stab a pen in his throat.

It's not a discipline in any way, shape or form.

I want to train in the Montante arts, portubros. Help me.

> (You)
>bullshit

You're an idiot though.

Have a look. Note most of them are in teh USA

hemaalliance.com/club-finders

Cringe.

"The HEMA Alliance (HEMAA) is a martial arts federation dedicated to the study of Historical European Martial Arts. It is organized as a United States nonprofit organization incorporated under the laws of the State of Utah. "

the problem with modern fencing is that, although a foil is much like a rapier, the rules of fencing are so far removed from a real fight, that most of what they lean is useless when rules are removed and the first tap doesn't finish the battle

>Dude, they literally use period manuals from the 15th-17th centuries and combine that with best practice from what they can figure out and what sport fencing says. They're about as historically accurate as you can be given that most of the knowledge for manuals of arms was never really written down that well basically for any ancient period (see: 2000 BC to ~1500/1600ish AD).
>I don't even do HEMA. You just need to untwist your fucking knickers.

It is not how sword use was taught period. We know this because like I say the first german killed in ww1 by British and Irish was killed with a cavalry sabre. We know exactly how sword drill was taught. Exactly. It was very carefully documented. In fact we even have black and white film of the drills. Same for bayonet.

And it is NOTHING like hema.

>We know this because like I say the first german killed in ww1 by British and Irish was killed with a cavalry sabre
LITERALLY who gives a fuck?

Got any more autistic facts that have nothing to do with the conversation?

>the first tap doesn't finish the battle

Human anatomy is peculiar. We freeze when run through with a blade. Long historically observed. Does not happen with a slash,

So yes. Over in seconds. The mistake is to withdraw.

not many people here in canada have guns, but i always have my longsword in my passenger seat

>We freeze when run through with a blade
Nice source

>Pretty much just boils down to cheap dirty tactics.

Yeah , i'm not surprised it was invented by Jews.

>Attack his eyes and shit. Stab a pen in his throat.

All's fair in love and war.

>It's not a discipline in any way, shape or form.

I don't really give a fuck , i just want to learn the most effective way to kill people.

>LITERALLY who gives a fuck?
>Got any more autistic facts that have nothing to do with the conversation?

Given that everything I am saying relates directly to hema and you are the one sperging out I can again only assume you have some emotional investment in this moronic US centric larping around pretending we wuz medieval.

It is all very nigger tier.

>>We freeze when run through with a blade
>Nice source

Well go and learn something then. Off you pop.

>Given that everything I am saying relates directly
How exactly does that relate at all?

>these HEMAfags would shit their pants if they were in a life-threatening situation
this is the opposite of true in most of the people i spar with, most are vets who have seen action

Fuck this Irish guy
Martial arts is for much more than just "pretending to be a tough guy"
No fun allowed.jpg
Hema is one of the most accessible ways to learn about sword fighting. It is a good way to make freinds and get some exercise,while learning about some history.

Go to bed lee

youtube.com/watch?v=HlIepkY6jlY

Yeah he really froze alright.

i tried fencing as was very disappointed

it's a sport basically

even katana training is more legitimate for sword fighting

>It is not how sword use was taught period. We know this because like I say the first german killed in ww1 by British and Irish was killed with a cavalry sabre. We know exactly how sword drill was taught. Exactly. It was very carefully documented. In fact we even have black and white film of the drills. Same for bayonet.
>And it is NOTHING like hema.

>>We know this because like I say the first german killed in ww1 by British and Irish was killed with a cavalry sabre
>LITERALLY who gives a fuck?
>Got any more autistic facts that have nothing to do with the conversation?

>>Given that everything I am saying relates directly
>How exactly does that relate at all?

Nigger.

>>these HEMAfags would shit their pants if they were in a life-threatening situation
>this is the opposite of true in most of the people i spar with, most are vets who have seen action

KEK

>learning about some history.

No.

>ma is one of the most accessible ways to learn about sword fighting

No

>It is a good way to make freinds

If Cosplay is your cup of tea and you are a bit autistic.

Some guy killed someone in WW1 = That's exactly what 500 year old sword fighting was like with completely different weapons.

Learn to read you dumb potatonigger

>knife to the neck same as being impaled by rapier
you gotta calm down buddy lol get better examples

You can't run someone through with a short bladed knife by slashing. Do keep up.

Doesn't count as 'run trough with a blade'? Sorry let me just pull some examples of rapier murder caught on camera.

The idea that a person will "freeze up" 100% of the time from any wound is laughable and goes against every scrap of wound ballistics research for literally decades.

>slash
and that's another thing fencing doesn't touch

No source yet? Figures

WITNESSED.

>Some guy killed someone in WW1 = That's exactly what 500 year old sword fighting was like with completely different weapons.
>Learn to read you dumb potatonigger

Have you ever held a 1912 cavalry sabre?

Sword fighting turned to shit when the French and Spanish got involved.

>Sword fighting >>>>> Fancy posh faggot pointy stick duels.

>444

>Figures

You mean digits.

How does a 1912 cavalry sabre relate to weapons from 500+ years earlier?

Guess what? People used to all stand in a line in an open field and trade musket fire in broad daylight, must be exactly how modern day combat is fought right? I mean they ARE both guns after all.

Different user.

Yep, i own a few originals, my favorite sword hands down.

Handles a bit differently than a falchion arming sword, or curved saber.

>No source yet? Figures

If you are too lazy to learn then don't insist on announcing ignorance.

>Sorry let me just pull some examples of rapier murder caught on camera.
ironically this is the problem for you

using swords is larping at this point because you can't take them anywhere or do anything with them. and ultimately guns still exist so if you were to pull out a sword on someone they'd shoot you dead

there's a reason sword traditions weren't maintained and recreating them from manuals is just about the worst way to do it i can't even think of

everyone should learn how to shoot and how to kickbox, that's literally it. none of this modern knight memery

Thanks for conceding

>>everyone should learn how to shoot and how to kickbox, that's literally it.
Which is exactly what I wrote in this thread. Like I said earlier I could give a flying fuck about any form of swordfighting.

>I could give a flying fuck about any form of swordfighting
then why are you in this thread at all?

>Different user.
>Yep, i own a few originals, my favorite sword hands down.
>Handles a bit differently than a falchion arming sword, or curved saber.

Mine too but more because of pathos. I own two originals. It is more a miniature lance. However it is the finest cavalry sword ever made. Just in time for belt fed machine guns.

>How does a 1912 cavalry sabre relate to weapons from 500+ years earlier?

In weight and length actually surprisingly well.

I do SCA heavy. Pretty fun but still too controlled I feel like. I hate having to not trip opponents in close range pole fighting for example. They also have an annoying gorget rule and wouldn't accept that my helm more than covered my neck. The kids I used to stick fight with in the woods behind my house growing up were tougher. Still the camping events are very fun and the battles are too just minor annoyances really.

Fencing is a bad mockery of small sword fencing which was a bad mockery of rapier.

Fencing is gay.