How "great" was really Alexander?

How "great" was really Alexander?

I mean sure, he won many great battles, often outnumbered but he didnt do it alone. He inherited a great and experienced army from his father, with experienced commanders.

How much of the victiores was due to 20-30 yo Alexander, or thanks to the tactics and knowledge of his commanders?

>How much of the victories was due to 20-30 yo Alexander
Like all of them

An army can have the best soldiers but without a good leader it's just shit and will be defeated.
I mean, for example, Nero had the same potential to do the same as Alexander or Caesar but He couldn't because his ineptitude as a commander.

Greatness level: Aristotle/10

He's nothing compared to Cyrus

homosexual pedo manlet who was literally a DINDU with an army, going around and chimping out

He was the illest nigga around at the time

Don't read into it too much sven

>"great"
>not knowing "magnus"

LVLZ

>going around and chimping out
>conquering and expanding your empire for the benefit of your people and for glory
Pick one and only one, faggot.

Wonder how long humanity will wait before it is ok to sell Hitler candy.

Think about it like this: Alexander was never proclaimed a god after death. His father, Phillip II, was. Alexander was able to wield his father's army to great effect, but it was Phillip who took a rural fiefdom and turned it into an efficient military machine with the most advanced army in the world and an officer core made up of veterans from his decades of constant warfare and young men with the best education the ancient world had.

If Alexander were a timid man then Persia would never have been conquered, but his father had already planned out his conquests.

If you study his battles you see that he triumphed over the odds many times, not to mention he fought at the front many times, and was wounded in most battles.
Obviously his commanders helped, Alexander treated them all as equals and its absurd to assume he didnt talk with them, but in the end he was the mastermind of his campaign, and had his men not pussied out near the Indus, god knows how far he would've gone.

Give me one good reason as to why Alexander wouldn't consider himself a modern day Macedonian.

Pro-tip: You can't

No, he was proclaimed a god in life.

>your empire
>for the benefit of your people
sure thing tyrone.

its the same argument as trump inheriting his fathers legacy

would trump have been great without capital?

Proclaimed a god by the Persians, who did that sort of thing a lot. Sorry, i should have been clear that it was the Macedonians who declared Phillip a god, something unusual for them.

>Implying the expansion of your control while eliminating your enemy isn't a good thing
Am I missing something here?

>correcting 'great' to the latin 'magnus' instead of the greek 'megas'
wew lad

Well the Macedonians considered themselves Greeks, and spoke a dialect of Greek.
The Greeks however, did not consider the Macedonians Greek, they thought them to be below them, and they were uncultured swine.
Doesnt really matter though since the Balkans and Greece have been pretty TURKED,I doubt they would recognize eachother.

>literally taught logic by the man who invented logic, Aristotle

Great, now retarded neets are questioning the greatness of Alexander

>The Greeks however, did not consider the Macedonians Greek
Only some butthurt athenian writers did
And their reasoning was because their kings didnt shave their beards which they deemed barbaric

>Well the Macedonians considered themselves Greeks

why would the common soldier consider themselves to be a defeated enemy?

You can also thank him for all the mongrelization of Aryan blood and the bastard offspring it created throughout the Mediterranean, and MENA.

Well it was the fact that they were ruled by hereditary kings in the first place, which atleast the Athenians and a couple of other city-states thought was pretty shit-tier.
Well I'm sure they didnt give a shit after they conquered all of it, but Greek culture was a big deal, and the whole Greek golden age had been going on for around 200 years before that, considering yourself Greek was something pretty good, so yea they would do that.

Nah not buying it, people don't think like that they would have hated the Greeks and thought of them as pansy faggots bum fucking each other.
You read any evidence on the matter that wasn't in pro Greek?

>I'm a strong independent Macedonian who don't need no philosophy

Do you really believe that you are decendants of Macedonians i read this about FYROM but i thought you guys were doing it for tourism or to show off some culture but i never thought you really believed it.

Thracian here

Alexander came to our lands, beat the shit out of us for starting being violent drunkards and employed us. More than half of his cavalry and all of his light troops were Thracian. We marched and fought with them, treated and payed evenly. Great guy from the Balkans.

Well they spoke Greek and were really close to Greece itself, remember the Greeks were spread out pretty wide, all the way from Italy to parts of Turkey. Its not weird that some people had other customs which the bigger citystates like Athens would look upon like hillbillies or something. Just because a part of them looked down on you, doesnt mean that you would just discard the identity, sometimes it would make you stick to it harder just to prove them wrong.

>one holocandy with "dead jew" flavor please

>not buying "adolfs favorite" icecream

>you will never know the awesome taste of "hitler on a stick" with the great chocolate mustache

> the "aryan fizzy" feels like 1000 jews dying in your mouth

was literally a uni student, tutored by aristotle. during that time is op as fuck

Fyrom is a state that created in 1991. They don't even speak Greek . I don't think they can recognise Alexander.

Oh I'm not talking about the modern Macedonians, I was talking about the ancient ones back in the day. I doubt modern day Macedonians are related very closely at all to the old ones.

One of the GOAT conquerors but he was more obsessed with conquering than ruling a solid kingdom. When he died or ''died'' all they found was some plans to attack Arabia and a plan for a giant statue.

He also became somewhat delusional from victory, as most conquerors do.

He did die at 32, which is early even back then, so we can only speculate if he would have ever slowed down to consolidate his power or not.
As for the delusions of grandeur, I guess when you never lose a battle, and live in a time when being a living God isnt looked upon as being crazy, letting it all go to your head must be pretty easy.

Perhaps he won because of the tall trees of Europe lending themselves to pikes, and the fertile grasslands lending thmselves to cavalry.

Did certain Thracian tribes claim they were Greek also then? I just don't get the argument people don't like each other its an simple as that does a Welshman try to be English? no he fucking hates the english most people hate there neighbors despite being very close. The average miner or farmer in Macedonia probably hated the Greeks despite being very influenced by Greek culture they probably tried harder to be anti Greek and more Macedonian. Even the names of the average solider who fought with Alexander were vastly different from common Greek names.

Childhood is idolizing Plato
Adulthood is realizing Aristotle makes more sense

Well he was fucking douchebag in civ5.
Nuked the shit out of him.

Alexander was a complete badass.

Go read about his companion cavalry. They would feast and drink together like brothers in arms and then he would personally lead their charges in battle.

Alexander slept in so late that he almost missed a battle against the Persians one time, got out of bed, and led his army to a huge upset victory.

The Odrysian kingdom didnt claim to be greeks but they were philhellens and the ruling class was hellenised
>The average miner or farmer in Macedonia probably hated the Greeks despite being very influenced by Greek culture
Wew lad,you realise they were ethnic greeks right?

An Awkward Moment has arrived where I have to break it to the Fine conservative cucks of Sup Forums that Alexander was a confirmed bisexual and that your praise is wasted on a queer. Today he would be a great LGBT leader.

Look man, being Greek at the time was being a part of a pretty big group, the Spartans and Athenians were both Greeks, and they were almost complete opposites and werent really good friends at all. It's not a stretch at all that the Macedonians would consider themselves part of the Greek people, since they were near a bunch of other Greeks and had been for a long time, comparing that to the Welsh and English makes no sense, at all. As for the Thracian's, they migrated into what is now Thrace and had developed a different culture, and spoke a whole other language, why would they consider themselves Greek when they had no ties to them?

Are toothpastes intellectual niggers of Europe?

>invented logic

Siege of Multan Citadel, part of the Mallian Campaign:

>Alexander quickly became impatient at the pace of the siege, so he grabbed a ladder and went up it himself.[30] He was followed by only two soldiers. The rest of the soldiers, nervous about the safety of their king, crowded the ladders to get up so that they could protect him

>The Mallians realised who Alexander was, and focused their energies on him. Many of Alexander's men held out their arms and called for him to jump down to them.[31] The King, however, would not.[citation needed]

>Alexander leaped into the inner area of the citadel.[32] There, he killed the Mallians' leader.[33] But an arrow penetrated Alexander's lung, and he was severely wounded.[34] The Macedonians believed Alexander dead. After gaining entrance to the city, they planned to kill everyone in revenge

Say what you may, but Alexander was a warrior first and foremost. A man of his stature to do things like described above, completely disregarding his own safety for the thrill of the battle.

He may have been mad, but he was warmongering tactical genius

You'd be surprised what peopled didnt question before the Greeks came up with Aristotelian Logic.
Many Greeks who visited Egypt asked the Egyptians why the Nile flooded each year, the Egyptians didnt give a shit, they just said Isis did it and left it at the, the Greeks however, pondered it a lot and came up with all kinds of crazy reason for it, they asked Why when a lot of other cultures didnt, and it was unique in the ancient world.

When at battle with the Persian King of the time (forget the name Darius the nth probably), he won the battle by charging his cavalry at the kings guard. Twice. The king ran away after seeing his men cut down. Twice.

Truly a great Macedonian leader

battle of gaugamala and at the battle of issus , and the king was either darius II or III cant remember