SOLAR VS NUCLEAR (there is a clear winner)

Hey smelly bum retards. Did you know solar is the future of humanity?

Let's go over it. Solar is clean, and it comes from the fricken sun. That's FREE~ energy for life.

Let's look at nuclear
>smelly
>old technology
>unstable
>unsafe
>one small earthquake can cause a meltdown
>radiation from microwaves causes autism

If your politician isn't supporting GREEN energy, and shunning shit ideas like nuclear, you need to start writing letters. Ask them about where the nuclear waste goes. Trust me, there is no nuclear waste solution.

Remember, ALT RIGHT is not ALRIGHT.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=llKpCfqQWS4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_of_the_United_States
theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/china-builds-worlds-biggest-solar-farm-in-journey-to-become-green-superpower
westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Did you know solar is the future of humanity?
then why is everyone asking for government handouts for it

fun fact, coal plants release more radiation into the environment than nuclear plants

>smelly

All plants do is spew out steam

>old technology

Wrong

>unstable

Wrong

>unsafe

Wrong nowadays

>one small earthquake can cause a meltdown

No it can't

>radiation from microwaves causes autism

I guess you're proof.

Solar energy is extremely inefficient at producing energy, with our growing population the demand more more output of electricity becomes apparent.

what would be the ecological impact of collection of materials and construction of solar cells on a worldwide scale? Employing a combination of power generating methods is the best way to ensure that no one way becomes harmful.

Isn't solar technology absurdly inefficient?

Solar is nuclear

The sun is nuclear fusion not fission, my southern cousin.

there are better ways than solar, it's kind of a meme, I think it's outperformed by parabolic reflector + stirling engine, but probably not in cost so long as governments are subsidizing the shit out of solar cells

Best post.

The energy density is too low you fricking bogan. Also, We don't all live next to a giant desert. Hydroelectric is where it's at. Don't have water? Tough shit.

As I said here a combination is probably best. hydroelectric turbines for people in areas with waterfalls & ocean currents, solar panels to supplement power needs on rooftops or be gathered en mass in sun bleached and wind turbines in open areas

Electric fag here
Solar is very inefficient and is no where near up to the task of maintaining the voltage on the grid.
People always think of this in terms of b-but...i can power x amount of homes with green power x,y, or z....
It doesn't matter, its all about maintaining a high enough level on the national grid so that everyone gets the power they need.
Power plants basically all dump power into the grid and we all 'share' it.
To make solar even close to feasable on a grand scale we'd need huge collectors in space and we're nowhere near that.

Nuclear produces a lot of power but has obvious drawbacks.
If the Jew would just release the hidden technology we know they have all would be good, but they make too much money on continuing this silly power debate.

>nowhere for waste to go

We have an entire mountain built to house nuclear waste in Arizona until the end of time.

All nuclear waste. For centuries of use.

But it got shut down by the gov even though its basically built and finished.

New nuclear tech doesnt produce much waste either. It can be recycled.

Solar is nuclear. Except we cut out the middle man with nuclear.

Picture of Japans nuclear reactor exploding.

The French have been using a (nearly) closed loop nuclear fuel cycle quite effectively for decades now. Google "PUREX"

>FAKKA YOU DOLPHIN AND WHALE!

>nearly
and what to dot hey do with that excess? We use ours to make depleted uranium bullets to sell to the Americans.

They make nukes to drop on isolated pacific atolls for the sole purpose of rustling jimmies worldwide. Something like 80% of the electricity generated in France is from nuclear.

> Solar is clean
Not.

> it comes from the fricken sun
You mine rare earths for panels on the sun?

> FREE
All natural resources are free. The question is how much does it cost to gather them and to distribute them to customers. Processing and delivery.

Solar gathering equipment costs dearly and is very toxic to manufacture. Per kwh produced it`s worse, than chernobyl (not worse than GE`s fukushima tho).

Currently all rare earths are mined only in China, because China has no policy to treat Thorium as nuclear waste. So they just dump radioactivity into ocean.
Every 1m2 of solar is 17 liters of liquid radioactivity poured to nemo`s aquarium.

> energy for life
Only if you live around equator.

Plus, spent fuel rods can be recycled and reused until depleated and investing in nuclear will make us more likely to discover cheap fusion and fission.

No nuclear reactor in the world between now and the year 40,001 will ever "explode"

Why do you hate nucular energy user?

>radiation from microwaves
What?

SOLAR FRICKIN ROADWAYS

It`s waste, because you don't build reactors to burn it.

LFTR could burn it enough, so only fraction of 1% would be left and only for 3-4 hundreds of years, instead of millenias.

Most of "nuclear waste" outside of the mountain is thorium, which is again - perfect fuel for the reactor.

They show on discovery-channel some finn mountain "with warnings to future generations about invisible horrible radiation". But future generations would look on these retards and laugh their asses off. Because they are literally burrying the best and the safest fuel on earth and spending enormous amount of resources and energy to do it.

> fusion and fission
scam

No one has ever extracted communist burning plutonium from a solar panel so why bother with the hippie crap.

there a radioactive reactors that use waste products of other reactors and cant explode.
Solar isnt everything in the future its not even a major thing in the future outside of maybe space travel crap.

> solid fuel
> cant be burned more, than 2% in best case inefficient long-run scenarios
> effectively

youtube.com/watch?v=llKpCfqQWS4

listen to the most prominent nuclear scientist on the planet

Better than just about everyone else. Just sayin'

>the future of humanity
What if I told you that the future of humanity involves dismantling stars for raw materials? Guess what you use to turn star material into energy on demand.

If we were able to capture ALL of the sun's radiations for one hour, we'd have enough energy to power the whole world for 1 year (or some shit like that)

But hey, we're still highly inefficient in exploiting solar energy, so that will not work out in the next few years anyways

>dude weed: the post

> anything liquid [other than ITER scam, which is again technically plasma - not liquid]

Until Solar becomes feasible, Nuclear is the energy of now.

The solution to nuclear waste is dirty bombs over the middle east.

Then get to work building that dyson sphere France.

I don't understand. ITER is fusion. PUREX dissolves used solid fuel and uses liquid-liquid extraction to separate useable fissionable isotopes.

>NUCLEAR fusion
Wew lad

The output of the sun over one millionth of a second could supply the electrical needs of the entire world for multiple years. Orders of magnitude and such. The sun is rather large.

Are you suggesting that nuclei don't fuse in the sun?

The sun(Sol) is a nuclear reaction though
Saying Solar is better then Nuclear on any level is objectively wrong in the long term view of things

Or use breeder reactors to produce plutonium and use the plutonium in a thorium reactor

If done right (close circuit water supply) there's no pollution and Thorium reactors have no risk of critical melt downs

Why do people think melt down= nuclear detonation? The core just gets too hot and melts is housing, even the worst melt down in history didn't detonate, it just lit up the entire reactor

No I'm suggesting that nuclear fusion is still a form of nuclear energy

Solar energy IS nuclear energy, you retard.

Dr. semantics is in

Fusion power.

Solar is a cute meme at best.

>Oh no it's over cast today!
>Oh no it snowed!
>Oh no dirt/bird poop

Etc.

Nuclear leads to fusion.

ITER is scam. PUREX burns solid fuel.

>Let's go over it. Solar is clean, and it comes from the fricken sun. That's FREE~ energy for life.
>That's FREE
Show me that field where solar panels rains from the sky or is it some special plant?

Nuclear power btfo solar in every aspect you emucunt

But fusion isn't viable, even our most efficient designs take more energy than they produce

Plus liquid helium isn't that easy to come by

>If the Jew would just release the hidden technology we know they have all would be good...
(pic)

Nuclear is completely viable and has very few drawbacks. France was like 75% nuclear until they started shutting it down. Revolt has come a long way and we've solved ask of the grievances people have. The problem is that we are still using 50 year old designs because of regulations. The jew doesn't want nuclear because it would free us from oil and then they couldn't keep selling carbon credits.

Fast reactors can burn a much higher percentage of the fuel, greatly reducing waste. Not only was that mountain shut down, but they cemented shut the entrance.

>France was like 75% nuclear until they started shutting it down.

They havent. They still are 75% nuclear.

Yes, we just have to make wise decisions with it...
Like not building nuclear plants in coastal regions with major active fault lines.

You know damn well you explosive flying cunt.

This faggot doesn't know about nuclear fusion

When this technology becomes mainstream your ridiculously inefficient wind/solar will become redundant.

Fusion fuel is essentially water and rocks, which is of abundance

Every square acre of North America could be covered with solar panels and it would barely provide only half of the electricity needs of the US alone. And that is assuming all of North America is as sunny as Florida (which it isn't). The numbers are out there feel free to do the math yourself.

My nuclear physics professor is of the opinion:

"definitely solar, maybe nuclear, current nuclear technology definitely problematic"

It's weird to then go on lereddit and everyone is going, "muh nuklear reactoors". Some kind of propaganda probably.

I think the energy giants would vastly prefer nuclear energy because then it's still a natural monopoly that they control. With solar the grid become decentralised. You can in theory have self sustaining neighbourhoods or even self sustaining houses.

If you have a farm, you can already be self sustaining with solar and a diesel/natural gas backup. Lots of preppers on youtube have already done it.

>Every square acre of North America could be covered with solar panels and it would barely provide only half of the electricity needs of the US alone.

That is just plain false. Why do say stuff like that, lol?

Deuterium yeah, but not tritium or helium-3. Deuterium doesn't work alone, you need a heavier isotope with it to help. Also you're forgetting the electricity needed for the magnets and the liquid helium to cool them

Fun fact, it takes a fuck ton of electricity to condense helium

Yea, and you pay for the monstrous grid and electricity storage costs for your "decentralised" grid yourself. Deal?

Well seeing how it will never but sunny all across the US yeah I'd say there's some reasoning behind it

Plus mountains will block a good number of them for most of the day

And we don't have batteries strong enough to store the energy we do manage to produce

What ? We're still at 75% nuclear. The biggest issue is the age of plants

Yes. People already do it. Batteries aren't THAT expensive, even today.

>And we don't have batteries strong enough to store the energy we do manage to produce

A completely mundane 18650 based battery pack that will get you through overcast days and nights is already viable. Please already do it today. As complete amateurs.

Tesla is already selling professional better engineered packages.

If you want to go off grid today with solar, you can, and it's not even expensive.

The numbers are out there, you can do the math yourself, it isn't hard. I would do it for you but I'm on my phone. Someday I'm going to have to make a copy pasta that explains it all.

The batteries have nothing to do with it. Solar panels can't produce enough wattage to keep up with demand.

>all this obsession with lithium batteries instead of just plain old pumped water
thanks musk shills

You lie and make shit up. What is your deal, bud?

Do you just hope that people will just see your post and be like, "oh he agrees with me and he says "the numbers are out there", I'm not going to bother checking anything".

Going off the grid yeah solar is viable, but this is an argument of weather or not you could power the entire US off solar

Yes, a single family dwelling can viably go off grid in many parts of the country. It isn't as cheap as you claim. When I looked into it several years ago it would have cost me about $17,000 for all the equipment, with no telling when any of it would need replaced.

Do you have any idea how much more electricity cities and factories consume? Where is all of the real estate supposed to come from for these solar panels? I've done the math, clearly you haven't.

Seriously, there are plenty of ways of storing energy and turning it back into electricity

This one company uses electricity when there's a surplus on the grid to pump water into an elevated reservoir and runs it through a hydroelectric system when the grid needs more energy, a bunch of others are using near frictionless flywheels to store it as momentum and back into electricity

Why don't you like her, user?

You must be a South Australian on holidays, not sure how you're online otherwise.

Nuclear is clearly superior for base load requirements, alongside hydroelectric. Solar and wind are complementary but not sufficient enough to handle the entire grids load.

So you are unwilling to educate yourself. Gooder for you.

the law of conservation of energy makes this method inherently wasteful.
Besides, you'll never have a surplus because you'll be using it as fast as you bring it in.

Gooder?
What the hell?

Summer energy generation capacity (2014): 1068 Gigawatts

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_sector_of_the_United_States

Largest solar power plant in China:

850MW / 27 square kilometers

theguardian.com/environment/2017/jan/19/china-builds-worlds-biggest-solar-farm-in-journey-to-become-green-superpower

(10680000 mega watts/ 850 mega watts) * (27 square kilometres) = area needed assuming no other power generation capabilities = 339247 square kilometers = 83 million acres

Residential developed land in urban and rural united states:
139 million acres

westernwatersheds.org/watmess/watmess_2002/2002html_summer/article6.htm

The math checks out in my favour by a lot. You have to consider not even close to 100% of the energy generation would be from solar. If one replaces coal and natural gas that is only 60%.

You have to consider that American solar power technology is about 5 years ahead, from that of the Chinese and that continuous improvements are always being made. Just today a Japanese university announced a huge 10% increase in intensity.

>several years ago

Well that is your problem. Get with the time. It's way cheaper today than it was even in 2014.

no shit, but batteries are somewhat inefficient storage as well
you're meant to use it so that 500 megawatts can service a region that uses that much, ON AVERAGE, but uses smaller or larger amounts at predictable times

>you'll never have a surplus
What happens to the grid at night? Oh that's right power stations discharge the excess electricity because if they didn't it would overload

That's a pretty huge surplus of electricity that we're just throwing away

Currently used nuclear technology is obviously shit and the only reason pressurised water reactors using Uranium fuel rods was to gather plutonium for nuclear weapons. Apparently, the guy who did most to create this form of nuclear energy generation preferred Thorium nuclear energy generation but it was never adopted, mainly because it doesn't create plutonium as a bi-product.

But... Solar will not replace coal/gas/nuclear for the foreseeable future. Solar doesn't work very well at night or when there is heavy cloud cover, if you didn't realise? Battery technology is not good enough in the context of a national power grid. Batteries also depend on limited resources of rare Earth metals. So, unless or until room temperature super-conductivity is commonly available, sorry mate... Solar will never hack it. To be fair though, a lot more could be done to make solar affordable for use by more people for home use to reduce the demand for electricity off the power grid. Reduce does not equal replace.

I don't think there would ever be excess power from solar to store in the first place.
The grid (here in the us) isn't just your locality, if you're not using much power in one area, its getting used in another.
power plants maintain a certain level grid wide and adjust their output accordingly.
Solar/storage is good on a small/local scale but is woefully underpowered to supply an industrialized nation.

that's thousands if not millions of years away.

like half of the population are below 70 iq sub-humans, we have a long way to go. and in the future everyone will be asian called muhammad if nothing changes.

Its not that simple, besides, power plants adjust output
electricity is not like water, you can't think of it in quantities you can store or count.

Not sure where you are getting the US consumption numbers (which you need). In the Wikipedia article you posted is lists total consumption at roughly 4,150 TERRAWATTS annually (4.15 petawatts or 4,150,000 gigawatts).

I wasn't talking about solar, I was talking about conventional power plants that don't need to have enough peak output to supply the peak demand

xD

Even if they were twice as good (which they arn't) $8,500 still isn't what I would call cheap or easily affordable.

You would need to fill the entire sahara with solar panels just to power the aluminium industry. There isn't that much room for improvement either, since there's only a set amount of energy in sunlight. It's fine to put on roofs in cities and such but large fields of solar panels are retarded.

Solar is unreliable and old tech.
Plus, it's killing birds.

ok gotcha...but plants don't always operate at max output, and other plants make of the difference in power between regions and demand
Its not just your local plant that operates at a set amount all the time.

but that's wrong you retard