I'm sorry, what were you saying Mr. Peterson?

I'm sorry, what were you saying Mr. Peterson?

"So anyways, long before we were practising science, we were doing perfectly well - in a sense without any real knowledge of the objective world at all. Or at least not any scientific knowledge of the objective world. And so another thing that you might observe about that is that you can survive perfectly well without knowing any science at all in an articulated and developed manner, and of course animals are in that category. So that also I think in some sense undermines the claim of science to anything approaching a universal truth because obviously life can get along perfectly well without it."

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TddAel3Jrzw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumentalism#Definition
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Is he saying physics isn't true because of the bible? Really?

yeah dipshit, thats exactly what hes saying

consider suicide

He is a science denalist Christian Conservative Cuck isn't he?

Is this the shitposting thread?

You auscucks are supposed to let us syrupniggers know about these, eh?

This is true. We don't need science to explain the world around us because we are alive whether we know every little thing or not. Most scientific knowledge is useless outside of a book or a classroom. It's mostly just to give faggots a sense of purpose so they can make money and have titles and accreditation.

His argument is that because we don't need thorough study of natural sciences to "get along" it doesn't tell us empirical truths?

Clearly wrong, but I understand if he's blinded by some sort of Christian idealism. I still respect this man's rationality.

Ausfags need to kill yourselves.

He's merely saying that the social construct as enough to keep humans alive without having to know about the objective world.

You don't need a phd in science to eat and fuck and fight.

Peterson isn't anti science.

No, that's not what he is saying.

He said science may not approach a universal truth... That's kinda one of the main points of science.
If you think it doesn't you're basically anti science.

He is saying that science doesnt teach us "how to live" because through basic observation of the world, every other thing that isnt human is "living" perfectly fine without it.

The cornerstore of the scientific method is thinking you know nothing

Spoke to my friends about Peterson and they were very intrigued. What's the best bang for your buck introductory video?

You're fucking terrible at reading comprehension.

He's saying that people have been able to understand how to live and survive well and have a good life before our obsession with the objective world provided us with the incredible benefits we now have.

He's saying that philosophy doesn't need physics. He's not saying anything about physics being bad.

Remember to sage

It could teach us how to live better though.

>S

I believe his idea is that you don't have to know the reason for something to make use of it. Holding a spear from its center of gravity gives you the most consistent and accurate throw.

Knowing the physics of WHY that is the case does not help you. You might just as well believe, wrongly, that other parts of the spear are cursed or poisoned or something, and your result of accurate throws would be the same.

A scientific understanding can help us connect ideas, but it's not strictly necessary.

>because obviously life can get along perfectly well without it
Yeah good luck when gravity suddenly stops working because you don't need scientific reality, and you float off into the fucking sky, along with that dumb black chick in South Africa who wants newtonian physics abolished because it's obviously racist.

>Remember to sage
I'll sage you ya cunt.

Good!

Maybe in a materialistic sense. But living as a better person (or people) cannot be done through science.

Nothing in science can tell us if abortion, the death penalty, etc is good or not. Morale question can never be answered by science because morality is subjective and science doesnt deal with anything subjective.

This is why we laugh at all the psychologist that think they are a "science" because nothing about the psyche is objective.

has it?

This is why niggers like you are doomed. Science isn't about the answers, its about the questions. There is alot of shit we will never be able to know, and alot of stuff we wont know for a long ass time. Thinking its some divine truth is just turning it into a religion like the fucking idiots on the left have done.

Worshiping science as a divine answer will lead to nothing but destruction. Think about time for instance, its something we use to base all of our understanding and reality off of. Yet its a perception, time is not real, its something humans have learned to measure. So our science would be complete trash to beings that don't measure time in the same way we do. We are limited by our perceptions, there is no way we could know everything.

>This is why we laugh at all the psychologist that think they are a "science" because nothing about the psyche is objective.
This is true, but even the most idiotic psychologist is no where near as insane as the average sociologist/anthropologist. Psychologist are at least trained to pretend they are dealing with the scientific method, the other social "scientists are not, yet they have convinced them selves that they deal objective knowledge.

Oh sweet. A Frauderson thread!

HE'S A CTR PLANT

HE'S A MARXIST

HE'S A SPOILED DADDIES BOY

HE'S A CRACK HEAD

HE'S CONNECTED TO GEORGE FUCKING SOROS

>pic related. Soros shills, shilling. Including a set up thread I made to prove it

Certain parts of morality can be derived from science if you discover what living well for a human is through it. i.e. there are certain things that are good for humans by virtue of us being human
Therefore rules can be made on how we should act based on these objective facts. That probably comes down more to a matter of semantics on how you want to define morality, though.

Plenty about human psychology is objective + empirical. The issue is people's brains who work functionally differently to others, which can make finding general rules for curing say a mental illness difficult. in that sense the exception is proving the rule

Actually sociologist are closer to science than psychologiost because the things they care about are observable (people and group interactions, group dynamics, etc). What makes sociology not a science is that nothing about it is reproducible to a great degree, which is one of the stalwart tenets of proving theories. But yes, they too are not a science, to which degree is pretty much relevant on the whole.

>Actually sociologist are closer to science than psychologiost
dropped

>I can get an ought from an is
youtube.com/watch?v=TddAel3Jrzw

>Certain parts of morality can be derived from science if you discover what living well for a human is through it. i.e. there are certain things that are good for humans by virtue of us being human
examples please

and i bet any examples you do give has roots in morale activities of humans from 1000s of years ago (aka before science)

>didnt even read the whole post
to which degree something is not a science doesnt matter in the greater sense when we are interested in things that are science and things that arent science

also filtered

Man this guy was easy to rekt
The shills did it for him though LOOOOL

ITT: fucking morons with no reading comprehension

Clean your room, boys.

i.e. humans by nature want to be alive so murdering a human without reason is wrong -for- humans

oughts from is objection is solved if you place "for humans" at the end of a moral judgement.

Stay cucked, baby boi.

What is with this insane leaf and his all consuming hatred of peterson, he spams and makes threadss like this all the time
I really think that its someone who teaches with him or goes to the same school.
How jealous can one person be
Im beginning

Wish I had looked into this fraud when his grey cracksmoker face showed up on pol.
Too bad he gained a little traction here.

In this thread, a real counterpoint to any of peterson's philosophy hasn't really been offered. So yeah.

Scientific Materialism is inadequate to explaining the totality of 'truth', because you do not even perceive the world in purely materialist terms, much less begin to explain the nature of reality based on material things you can perceive. There is a level of reality beyond that dimension. This has been the problem of problems in philosophy, and it is starting to become a realistic problem precisely because, with traditional religion falling out of favor, we have shaped our society around scientific materialism.

We need to seek a solution because so far we see people trying to fill that void left by religion with shit like leftist utopian ideology and the like. There is wisdom in the traditions that has brought our society up from the ashes and into structure and civilization. We need to reconnect with that, and understand that some truths are beyond scientific scrutiny.

>i.e. humans by nature want to be alive so murdering a human without reason is wrong -for- humans
Guys we got a real fucking Einstein over here.

>tfw failed Peterson's class and dedicate your free time to butthurt shitposting
Dis nigga stuck in the underworld

Make your own nonsense talk Frauderson quotes.

Holy fuck, leaf range ban when?

What's wrong with you?

THE SUPPOSER!!!!!!!!

He's leaned hard on this, apparently Nietzschean, definition of truth as being 'that which is useful'. Which sort of /includes/ the usual 'how to make electricity' stuff. But he pushes it too hard and looks like a kook imo. He does it I think because he wants his abstract version of mythology and Christianity to be more accepted as 'Truth' in this sense, because they could very well (admittedly) be more useful to ultimate human survival than 'how to make an atomic bomb' or finding a cure for cancer.

Only underage mentally ill transgenders use the word fuccboi

you seem a little tired

I keep hearing his Joe Rogan interview touted. There was another, shorter list but I lost track of it :(

Guess who was a STUDENT of his??
Anita Saarkesian!!! (just a supposition. They're both canadian and from Toronto though)

The biggest problem with scientific materialism is that we simply aren't wired for it. We use the same brain circuits for considering both what is, and what should be. We get so caught up in thinking about one we almost completely lose track of the other. While it doesn't happen to everyone, it gets damn close, right up to some of the smartest people in the world. And nobody even realizes it's happening.

Materialism makes us go crazy.

What do you object to.
i'm explaining why saying you can't get ought from is may be flawed under a certain intepretation of morality

"No"

He use to be a Gas Pump Jockey before PhD
WOOOOOOWW
Does he give lectures on Premium Vs Unleaded??

You are mentally ill.

Get off the internet, get some help, and get medicated.

To the rest of Sup Forums, I apologize for this escaped mental patient.

>That's kinda one of the main points of science.
Wrong

He use to wash dishes at a restaurant before his PhD
WWWWOOOOOWWWWWW

>Sorting the dishes out, makes work go faster
>Did you s-s-s-s-sort the dishes out so I can run them through the dish washer??

Wow what a shit fucking thread
Peterson was BASED in that comment. It reflects the understandings of eastern philosophy, science-worshipping cucks BTFO

He was such a HARD WORKER they promoted him to French Fry Cook!!
WWWOOOWWWWW!!!!!

"For humans" doesn't solve it because there's no guarantee that you as a human even want to keep existing. This is also a very deep problem in the philosophy of morality itself.

We have to live on some faith at certain points. We have to let go of our insistence on being sure about every single thing.

He was also a Garbage Man for a summer (just a supposition. Not on his official website like the other jobs he listed)

I think you misunderstand me.
What I meant is that science assumes that there is a reality, and therefore an actual objective truth to be found. if it didn't there'd be no point in it

a 2:21 in that video, are those touhou figures something you can get somewhere? Thanks.

LOL

idiot

FUCK OFF SHILL, wtf is this your first time here? we are watching you answer yourself FAGGOT

>assumes that there is a reality
I don't think it even does that. It assumes that through certain inputs to a system, we can, with a chance of deviation, usually get certain outputs, and that there are rules of varying complexity that determine that.

That's called instrumentalism. There was a school of thought opposite that, that DID claim the existence of an underlying reality, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called.

Which is weird because it was first pure philosophical argument I ever read that really gripped me as more than a bunch of self proclaimed intellectuals jacking each other off.

you are so dumb. i bet you failed his class

There are lot of people who might want to try and damage his reputation. My imagination jumps between considering SJWs who want to try and turn Sup Forums against him (good luck with that) to monied interests who realize that, despite his mild manners, he might actually be a huge threat to the status quo, to just plain bitter trolls who couldn't understand Jung's archetypes.

Holy fuck, this cracksmoking knob "professor" and his shills have me DAYS of belly laughs.

I guess I should thank him..................
NOPE

YOU SUCK FRAUD!!

LOOOOOOOOOOL

So if its someone's nature that they dont want to exist anymore they can go around killing anyone and everyone they wanted since we are now saying "nature" is something that is objective and thus can derive ridiculous conclusions from it?

But time is real user, it is influenced by gravity. Time moves slower near high grav objects, people even have to compensate for the difference in satellites orbitting the earth, google it fag

>It assumes that through certain inputs to a system, we can, with a chance of deviation
But surely another core principle is that if you put the exact same inputs into the exact same system you should always get the exact same output. science is figuring out what inputs produce what outputs, and if an input produces a different output then what about the system has changed
i guess by reality i mean something like "a common environment in which we can practice the same experiments"

he's awesome and there for the people. you can tell he genuinely cares.

I'm talking about humanity as a whole.
trying to form morality on an individual basis is what im saying the mistake Hume makes is

your reddit is sore and showing

Why does /lit/ hate him so much?

they do? and who the fuck goes on /lit/?

Dude, no matter how much you post here he'll still be successful and you won't. All you'll do is dig yourself into a hole emotionally, and annoy the rest of us. Why don't you write about why you feel the way you do about Peterson, go over how he apparently harmed you and what you can do about it. If he was in the right, suck it up; if it was a mixed bad, muse on it until you're at equilibrium. But seriously, you're just digging your emotional hole deeper by committing so much emotional energy that achieves nothing. You're going to come out weaker at the end of it.

>you should always get the exact same output
Quantum physiscs is as direct a counter-argument you can get to that specific claim, but you can still infer the existence of an underlying reality even if it's just based on probability.

Read this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instrumentalism#Definition

You probably have a lot in common with Popper, where I am more in line with Dewey.

/lit/ is the most elitist board on Sup Forums

Which is kind of funny because most of the people I've read from there are anything but "elite"

>I'm talking about humanity as a whole.
But how do you know that? Maybe they want to live because the fear the pain that is involved with dying not because they want to live?

>mental illness
>paid shill

Pick one, or both