"Give us Barabbas!" What can we learn from this story?

We're all aware of the occurrence of the character of, "Barabbas," in the biblical gospel narrative. Just a quick refresher: Barabbas was a revolutionary, rabble-rouser who was jailed by Roman authorities for trying to start a revolution against Roman occupation of the Holy Land. When the Roman governor of Judea gave the local Jewish populace the chance to free Jesus Christ or Barabbas...the people chose Barabbas. Jesus was then crucified.

>What is the symbolism of this character?

>Can we use this story in discussing modern political discourse? If so, what are the connections?

Looking for any options, info, or correlations with politics you can garner from this story.

Isn't Barabbas apocrypha?

Nope, he's in the canonical gospels. Pontius Pilate held them both up as options to free. The pic title you see is not related to the post. I'm not aware of any apocryphal book called the "Gospel of Barabbas."

Read both The Hiram Key and The Hiram Key Revisited.

Barabbas was the type of Messiah the Jews wanted.

Jesus was the true messiah the world needed.

Modern judaism isn't based on the torah but soley as an opposition to christianity.

Interesting. Just looked it up. I'll look into purchasing it on Amazon.

Simple. The unenlightened "spiritual" godless masses would rather choose evil, unto their own destruction.

Wrong. The only book you need to understand the Bible better, is the Bible itself.
Get saved, and compare scripture to scripture. This is the biblical way.

Exactly. The Jews wanted political and cultural freedom. They chose a leader who couldn't end up helping them, and they killed their true hope. The OT prophecies are startlingly accurate on this story.

Yes. Totally agree.

And if you want to save time you really just need to read John's gospel to get the main tenets.

The entire episode is a misinterpretation of what Pilate was talking about. There was only one person involved in the offer he made to the crowd; Jesus.

Barabbas' first name was Jesus too, and "Bar Abbas" means Son of the Father. Barabbas wasn't another man, he was the other side of how the public perceived the Jesus we all know. There was Jesus Christ, the peaceful prophet of salvation, and Jesus Barabbas, who the Jews rallied around as a revolutionary figure.

Pilate asked if the mob if they wanted Jesus Christ or Jesus Barabbas. If they wanted Christ, he would have spared Jesus. But the mob wanted Barabbas the rebel, so he had no choice but to kill Jesus to prevent an uprising.

Wow! That's really an intriguing argument. I can say that I've never even heard of that interpretation. Can you link to an article or piece of information so I and others can look more into that? Also, if I may ask, what denomination do you belong to? Just curious.

I'm a lone heretic who arrived at that conclusion through independent research. I don't know if there's any established denomination that shares this interpretation but I am quite convinced of its correctness.

>Can we use this story in discussing modern political discourse?

The story of Barabbas is peculiarly emblematic of the political power of Jews in the present age.

It is the story of a small minority living within the omnipotent Roman Empire who used an artful political move to bend the Empire - in the form of Pontius Pilate - to their political will.

In the circumstances of the day, the Jews had no real political power -- but they were clever enough to manipulate the situation to achieve their ends, the disposal of Jesus, by threatening Pilate with an accusation of disloyalty to Rome should he fail to punish the one the Jews (and subsequently Pilate) denominated "The King of the Jews."

It was a truly amazing political power play, nicely dramatized in Gibson's Passion -- although I don't get the sense that Gibson places a lot of emphasis on the political angle of the moment.

Anywho, Jews have a genius for this kind of thing, then and now.

The Barabbas incident is an archetypal example of how a minority can manipulate a more powerful, larger group.

Sup Forums is Barabbas
Barabbas is Sup Forums

Ted Cruz is Barabbas in the Hillary timeline.

Christianity is bullshit.

What we can learn: Fags that don't do research will become, and continue to be Christian.

185:5.3 (1993.3) As the crowd surged up on the steps of the building, Pilate heard them calling out the name of one Barabbas. Barabbas was a noted political agitator and murderous robber, the son of a priest, who had recently been apprehended in the act of robbery and murder on the Jericho road. This man was under sentence to die as soon as the Passover festivities were over.

185:5.4 (1993.4) Pilate stood up and explained to the crowd that Jesus had been brought to him by the chief priests, who sought to have him put to death on certain charges, and that he did not think the man was worthy of death. Said Pilate: “Which, therefore, would you prefer that I release to you, this Barabbas, the murderer, or this Jesus of Galilee?” And when Pilate had thus spoken, the chief priests and the Sanhedrin councilors all shouted at the top of their voices, “Barabbas, Barabbas!” And when the people saw that the chief priests were minded to have Jesus put to death, they quickly joined in the clamor for his life while they loudly shouted for the release of Barabbas.

You're what's wrong with singapore.

Repent

that is a perfect example how (((democracy))) works, (((they))) need only change el opinion of majority. to select what (((they))) want.