Gen X vs Millenials

Gen X is considered the generation after the boomers.
Millenials are usually roped around with people from the 80's-2000's.

I was born in the 90's but my parents are both boomers. My dad is 60 in 2 months and it got me thinking.

Am I a millenial or Gen X?
>and why

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v7fLZdfngAI
genhq.com/faq-info-about-generations/
dailymotion.com/video/x2obbgt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Millenial, because your parent's generation doesn't mean anything.

>90s

Millenial

I was raised by a different type of parent than the millenials though.
youtube.com/watch?v=v7fLZdfngAI

I don't relate with any of the whiny entitled millenials because my parents both worked and I had to learn to be self sufficient.

Doesn't matter, you're a different kind of millenial than most of them, but still a millenial.

Are you mentally retarded?

Then why rope all millenials in as the same?
I mean I constantly hear shit about the millenials but if it's all true then it must just be a certain demographic of them.

It's obviously not all of them.
What made my generation awful?

Because retards think that young tail end millennial sjws represent the whole generation not realizing most millennialis are in their 30's/late 20's

Basically young millennials and old gen z kids are much more similar than young millenials and the rest of the millennials

So it's the tail end of the millenials that's the problem?

OP is a millennial fuck wit needing an identity. I barely qualify for genX, I was born in '84 but my father was born before we entered WWII, that's pre-baby boom

I was born in 98, my dad was born in 46. Dude got pussy his whole life lmao I have a sister who's 50

gen z will usher in a thousands years of prosperity

Lay off the drugs kid

You are a millennial. Its everyone born from 1980 till 2000

>I was born in the 90's Am I a millenial or Gen X?
>I barely qualify for genX, I was born in '84

Millennials have a complex mental gymnastics routine they use to convince themselves that they're not Millennials.

Expect to see plenty of posts like these:
>I was born in 1990. I can't be a Millennial.
>Millennials are people born after 1995
>Millennials are people born before 1994
>My family didn't have internet service when I was 12. Definitely not a Millennial.
>I ate cereal for breakfast as a kid. Not a Millennial.
>I'm not a Millennial, I'm Gen Y.
>I thought Millennials were born between 2002 and 2007
>I like tacos. There's no way I could be a Millennial.

Half of them are completely retarded, and the other half just feel too gosh darned special to be part of their generation.

Read this.

Yeah this. My parents are of more advanced age but the very culture of growing up in the 90s/00s binds you to that collective.

Gen X had it the worse

What does it matter what generation you're part of? Majority of millennials are retarded, be the minority and support the next generation to be better.

Wow, a leaf beat me to it

>Born between ~1985-1995
Gen Y
>Born between ~1995-2005
Gen Z
>Born between ~1980-2015
"""Millenial"""

Millenial is a bullshit pigeonholing term invented by Boomers to describe basically everyone born after they hit their 30s and 40s.

Gen x are white trash.

Here are the generation years
genhq.com/faq-info-about-generations/

Notice how y spans 20 years but x only 10.

>Am I a millenial or Gen X?
Did you see Reality Bites when it came out? If not, then you are not Gen X.

Millennial and Gen Y are the same thing, you mong.

Gen Z was born from 2000 onwards, unless you're a Millennial trying to move the dates so you can disassociate from the younger members of your generation.

The most defining trait of every Millennial is that they feel too super special to be a Millennial.

They should have called it the fucking Snowflake Generation.

>tfw the generation that follows gen z will be named gen shariah

there's no set amount of years. they're typically split by large events in history

Can you give me the years roughly for the baby boomers, gen x, millenials and gen z then?

My grandpa is the same way. I have an aunt and an uncle who are younger than me. He is a hard working farmer so when my grandma died, the women of his little town came after him hard. My step grandma was a good catch for him. Twenty years younger than him, no children before they got married, intelligent and refined (well, for a small farming town). I'm sure he misses my grandma, they were good together but he made all the right life choices that lead to him being able to live on happily after she died.

You look like a doily.

Gertrude Stein reportedly coined the Lost Generation to describe people who were born between 1880 and 1900 and lived through World War I.

The first generation of the 20th century, born between 1901 and 1924, were dubbed the G.I. Generation. “The initials ‘G.I.’ can stand for two things—‘general issue’ and ‘government issue’—and this generation’s lifecycle has stood squarely for both,” said the book Generations.

In 1998 Tom Brokaw supplanted that moniker when he wrote The Greatest Generation, which profiled people who grew up during the Great Depression and fought in World War II.

Next came the Silent Generation, a group born from 1925-1945, children during World War II but mostly too young to fight. “By comparison with the Flaming Youth of their fathers & mothers, today’s generation is a still, small flame,” declared Time. “It does not issue manifestoes, make speeches or carry posters. It has been called the ‘Silent Generation.’

They were stuck between the war hero G.I.s and the Baby Boomer generation, a term that first appeared in the Washington Post in 1977 and pushed aside names like Rock and Roll Generation and Generation Jones. Their name came from the “boom” in the number of children born from 1945-1964 following World War II.

The next cohort - Gen X - was the latchkey generation, more cynical than their predecessors, named by a 1991 Douglas Coupland book called Generation X: Tales for an Accelerated Culture.

Gen Y was lazily used for those born between 1980 and 2000. In 1991 the term “Millennials” was used in ‘Generations’, and the name stuck—leading to half a dozen books written by millennials.

For the latest generation, Gen Z is the current moniker for the post-millennial group, others include iGen, Homelanders, Plurals, Posts, and ReGen. This is used for those 17 years and younger today.

Millenials are 76 to 95, X is 96 to 2016, y will be 16 to 36

1980 fag here. Just glad we're not using those stupid derivative "Generation Y/Z" terms anymore. That's more annoying than calling any scandal "-gate"

So the only way to win is to be a NEET, and then just kill yourself when your NEETbucks dry up? Works for me lel.

You weren't part of Pepsi's generation neXt? GTFO my Sup Forums cokefag.

Is there any consensus to this? I've seen the argument that Gen Z would be too young to have remembered 911 which would also include 1996-2000 people who would have been babies/toddlers, etc. Excluding 1995 and a bit younger because surely they would remember something easier at 5-6 years.

>Gen X from 96

Wait I was always told I was a millenial

That is completely off

I have read numerous places that millennials are '80 to 2000. I was born in 83. I'm a Millennial.

>Is there any consensus to this?

From Millennials? Hell no. They spend most of their time inventing bizarre reasons why they can't possibly be Millennials.

The general consensus for a long ass time is that a generation is 20 years, give or take. The G.I. (or Greatest) generation is considered a long generation at 25 years, while GenX is considered a short generation at only 15 years, but I don't remember all the reasons bandied about for those exceptions.

The dates for the Millennial generation may shift a bit in the future as they're examined in hindsight, but not nearly as much as Millennials want them to.

Example: the mong above saying
>Millenials are 76 to 95, X is 96 to 2016, y will be 16 to 36
is a typical Millennial inventing some serious bullshit to try to pretend he's not a Millennial.

The reason Millennials span the era the do is people believe what unites us is that we are the first generation where the internet was ubiquitous.

You were born in the 90s you're solidly millennial.

I was born in 84 and honestly Gen X is before my time.

That's when they said ok gen x are too feral let's make them faggots.

Early 80s millennials were gen x as teenagers, gen Y in our early 20s & now we are millennials.

One thing I noticed about boomers andGen X is how brainwashed they are by TV. They will belive anything the news or TV says while minneials don't even watch TV or watch Jew owned News. Leftist Millennials will have their own news groups same with right wingers. Why were the previous generations so brainwashed by TV?

Yeah, I agree that guy who said 95-2016 was Gen X made no sense at all. I can understand the G.I. Gen as well being that long. GenX is a little unusual because we always hear about baby boomers doing stuff (i.e. voting brexit), Millenials doing stuff and Gen Z being the most conservative gen ever. But you never hear about what GenX does. It's weird imo. I only know of one guy whose said many times he was GenX and I'm pretty sure he was born sometime in the 80s.

It's a shame there isn't a set date. As being born on 1997 I've always figured I was GenZ and used the "I'm too young to remember 911 as the benchmark". But I guess I'm a millenial? I'm going to need to do more research but thanks for this. Do you have any sources to back your claims? I'd really like to know more.

TV was the only main source of news around back then. Now that we have the internet its much much easier to see alternative stuff all left out by the media in general. Plus, you've seen how good older people can be with new technology. They prefer what they already have, i.e. the TV.

This, exactly. I'm an old millenial born in '86. I hardly recognize the younger part of my generation as my own because they're so different.

>GenX is a little unusual because we always hear about baby boomers doing stuff (i.e. voting brexit), Millenials doing stuff and Gen Z being the most conservative gen ever. But you never hear about what GenX does.

Gen X is a tiny group who are also the lowest reproducing generation in all of US history.

We were born in the middle of boomer bullshit—early Boomers were the shitty 60s/70s hippies, late Boomers became the fucking yuppies of the 80s.

We’re basically irrelevant, hence having almost no impact on politics.

Boomers stuck it hard to every generation who followed, for fuckssakes our current president is still a Boomer. And the next few will likely be as well.
Trump? Boomer.
Obama? Boomer.
George W. Bush? Boomer.
Bill Clinton? Boomer.
George HW Bush? Greatest Generation.
Ronald Reagan? Greatest Generation.
Jimmy Carter? Greatest Generation.
Gerald Ford? Greatest Generation.
Richard Nixon? Greatest Generation.
Lyndon Johnson? Greatest Generation.
John F. Kennedy? Greatest Generation.

The Greatest Generation birthed the Boomers who birthed the Millennials.

Gen X is stuck in the middle, and greatly outnumbered in both directions. Millennials have quickly become as bad as their parents with their cancerous SJW bullshit: purple hair, slutwalks, safe spaces, 37 genders, dog fucker rights, pedo rights, white people are ebil raciss, etc.

>90s
you're a millennial like the rest of us

>Which (((label))) am I :3

Fuck off degenerate.

Tfw I'm a gen Y fucking a gen Z qt3.14.

Fascinating. I was not aware that had occurred with GenX. Won't millenials be the lowest reproducing generation though in the long run? After all we have all this feminization of men and low fertility rates across the west + the demonizaiton of the nucelar family. GenZ is too early to say anything about so I won't comment on it further.

Plus, the foremother of the cancerous feminism herself is not a millenial and if it wasn't for her a great deal of this would not have occured. There is bound to be some good people and bad in each generation. It's understandable that millenials would have more though.

This, I'm 28 and I can't relate with the younger millenials at all but my younger brother(22) has no problem at all, although he used to be at least a bit red piled until college.

I don't fucking get this generation bullshit! In my country it is not very widely used due to shit Communist past skewing and blurring generation lines but the general consensus is that gen z starts at 1995 yet on Sup Forums it is 2000-2004 and in some places I've seen it go from 2005-2015. Make your mind up on this already god fucking damn.

There is no consensus.

Statistics Canada says GenZ is from 1993-Present.

its D&C bullshit

I'm 43, born in 1973. I'm gen x through and through.

I grew up in a Reagan loving household, raised by a single mom because for the first time in our history well over 50% marriages ended up in divorce. I could never figure out wtf my mom was so nuts about Reagan.

I watched Dukes of Hazzard, Fall Guy and MASH. I had Saturday morning cartoons with Smurfs, Snorks, Super Friends and various come-and-go shows based on various toys.

I played with GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers. They were all first generation versions of the toys. I saw Star Wars: A New Hope in the theater. As well as ET and Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters.

I jerked off to Madonna and Cyndi Lauper. Beastie Boys License to Ill came out when I was in 8th grade. So did 2 Live Crew.

I skated in high school. Pic related was my first board. I watched Tony Hawk grow into the world's greatest skater, possibly second only to Rodney Mullen.

I listened to brand new cutting edge hot off the press tapes from Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth, as well as Black Flag, DRI, Descencents/All, and Fugazi. Nine Inch Nails debuted my Junior year of high school. So did Soundgarden.

All the cool kids in my high school listened to hair bands like Bon Jovi, Poison, and Skid Row plus come-and-go hair bands like Cinderella. Milli Vanilli came and went. My friends laughed at all that shit.

Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique hit my sophomore or junior year and I caned the fuck out of that tape. It was green, which was weird.

Grunge blew up pretty much the year after I graduated. I saw Nirvana supporting their Bleach album at a $5 all ages show in Boise, Idaho. Kurt Cobain was so fucked up he fell down 3 times.

My first concert was Lollapalooza #1 in Seattle, with Violent Femmes, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Fishbone, Ice-T, Henry Rollins and headlined by Jane's Addiction.

I saw Primus and met Les Claypool backstage because security was so loose.

I worked on the Y2K project.

I'm Gen X as fuck.

I was a teenager around late 90's and earliest 2000's but I don't see I have too much in common with the gen that were kids during the beginning of of 2000's. I am from 82.

Why and how are you here?

Shouldn't you be gleaming the cube of adult shit

Gen X are fucking rad though.

First generation since The Greatest Generation to win wars. We monetized the Internet. We turned weed from bricky to sticky and I remember laughing at all the boomers saying they couldn't smoke my weed because it was "too intense". We also planted vineyards everywhere and stood up to shitty mass produced beer by making craft brewing an actual fucking thing.

Gen X has props on all that shit.

They called us slackers and yea I guess I am even to this day but I'm also a data scientist clocking six figures with nothing but a lousy Associates of Arts in Music behind me so what the fuck is up.

We made skateboarding rad. Flip tricks and noses with kicks? Yep we did that. We invented snowboarding too.

People have no idea how fucking rad Gen X is. We got props on the entire fucking internet.

>statistics canada

Im jealous as fuck over the concerts you attended m8

I've been here since like 2006. I can't leave. I'm a democrat and normie as fuck and you people irritate the shit out of me but I can't quit you so I get into the same god damn argument night after night and get accused of being a shill .. first JIDF and now CTR .. night after night.

I don't know man.

I go to reddit too though.

I didn't think this would spark such great debate.
This is what I would consider Gen X.
The culture of the era is all there.
>grunge
>skating
>Mullen name drop (I was living in vegas when Muska was still skating there)
>Bands of the era

I can say I fell somewhere on the back end of grunge culture, but I feel like a lot of other people of my birth year feel the same way. We grew up with punk and the glory days of pop-punk. Unfortunately emo popped up with the turn of the century and ruined everything.

I'll bet your parents were fundamentalists.

Dude you have no idea. My very first concert was a $5 all ages show in Portland Oregon with Beat Happening, Nation of Ulysses and Fugazi. The next day was Lollapalooza 1.

I've seen Primus, Tool, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, the Meatmen, Smashing Pumpkins, Heiroglyphics, and Nirvana in small to mid sized venues.

I was in 2 punk/grunge bands. One in Boise Idaho. That band suuucked but we got hella bookings. We opened up for a ton of cool Sub Pop bands and got played on the Boise State college radio.

The other band was much more talented but less popular in Eugene Oregon. We opened for Floater though. Twice.

I was the drummer. Plus I was a skater. So basically I was swimming in pussy. Those were the days man.

> I bet your parents were fundamentalists

You have no idea. I was raised conservative Baptist. I've seen people "speaking in tongues" at revivals. I've been to revivals.

I memorized I don't know how much of the Bible and read the whole thing all the way through 3 times as part of some church challenge.

Church was stupid though. So I quit.

Lurk moar

Muh X-Wings, Tie-Fighters and Han Solo.

How does it feel that your age group destroyed Star Wars?

>You have no idea
My parents were mormon fundamentalists.
I never fit in with the church kids because my family was poor. I ended up in the boy scouts with them and it made it all horrible.

Inevitably left the church and quit the scouts. I learned a lot of skills though. I still to this day have a quad with my name on the cover. It's a mormon doctrine thing that has everything the bible has and 3 extra books.
That speaking in tongues sounds crazy though. All my church was rich pricks in suits dissing on my family because we were poor.

This is why I don't see eye to eye with millenials at all. I more identify with Gen X just without the experience of shows and lessened national security.

>My first concert was Lollapalooza #1

Gen X did luck out on the concert scene.
So far, I’ve seen live

Oingo Boingo (twice)
Billy Idol
Johnny Cash
Depeche Mode (twice)
Prince
Metallica (twice)
Guns n Roses
Front Line Assembly
Nirvana
Jane’s Addiction (twice)
Tom Waits (4 times)
Joe Jackson
Rammstein (twice)
Peter Murphy
They Might be Giants (3 times)
Erasure
New Order
Soundgarden
Gunther and the Sunshine Girls
Mannheim Steamroller
Radiohead
Love and Rockets
The B-52s
Garbage (twice)
GWAR
Marilyn Manson
The Cramps (twice)
Lords of Acid
Jesus and Mary Chain (twice)
KMFDM (4 times)
Nine Inch Nails (3 times)
David Bowie (twice)
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Jesus Jones
Samantha Fox
Pantera
Kenny Rogers
Poison
Motorhead
Primus (twice)
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band (3 times)
Concrete Blonde
Van Halen
Gin Blossoms
Ministry (3 times)
Rob Zombie
Peter Gabriel
Rollins Band
The Pixies
Sonic Youth
Willie Nelson
Mojo Nixon
Front 242
Lamb of God
Social Distortion (3 times)
The first 4 Lollapalooza’s

and at least a dozen others I’m forgetting right now.
This isn’t even counting local bands or “DJs”.

Some are quite memorable.
dailymotion.com/video/x2obbgt

To be honest man I actually really like the new-new Star Wars. But I like them the way I like John Wick. I like them the way I like the Marvel films and Marvel shows on Netflix.

What sucks .. what truly sucks .. is that I can't let my five year old kid watch that shit.

I was 5 when A New Hope came out and it was fine for a 5 year old to watch.

No fucking way am I letting my 5 year old watch Kylo Ren bind and torture girls or kill his daddy then punch himself in the face. Or Anakin murder a bunch of toddlers.

So. Yea. That sucks.

Dude id kill to see any of those bands live haha heard smashing pumpkins were nuts live buddys dad went to a shit ton of their concerts. i just started learning guitar a few months ago wish i started sooner but jamming with my buddys at college is fucking great. Mustve been crazy hearing yourself on the radio 2 m8

So, I was born in the 90s, my parents were born in the 50s, and they're turboliberals. My dad coached kids sports, picked the shittiest kids from the kid draft on purpose, and gave a different shitty kid an MVP trophy for nothing each week. We're both millenials, and so are Amish people our age, it's just a term for a generation. If you're going to split people by the age of their parents you may as well split them on ideological lines first

>don't remember 9/11
>do remember my whole family complaining the Bush election in 2000

Have fun with your new Star Wars and the Finn and Poe sex scene rumored to be in Episode 8.

My son from my first marriage lived primarily with his mom. He came over a couple days after 9/11. Footage was on the tv. He said "oh my mom was watching that tv show at her house too they won't watch anything else"

I think he was 4