Will medical marijuana take hold as an opioid alternative in conservative states?

sfchronicle.com/news/medical/article/Medical-pot-bill-in-S-Carolina-bolstered-by-11028621.php

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — South Carolina Rep. Eric Bedingfield once shunned all marijuana use, but when his eldest son's six-year struggle with opioid addiction ended with his overdose a year ago, the conservative Republican co-sponsored medical cannabis legislation.

"My mindset has changed from somebody who looked down on it as a negative substance to saying, 'This has benefits,'" Bedingfield said recently.

The 50-year-old teetotaler believes marijuana may effectively wean addicts from an opioid dependence. Ultimately, the Marine veteran hopes medical marijuana can be an alternative to people being prescribed OxyContin or other opioid painkillers to begin with, helping curb an epidemic he's seen destroy families of all economic levels.

Two decades after California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana, efforts to let patients legally access pot are slowly taking root in the South.

While 28 states allow comprehensive medical marijuana programs, only two of those are in the South. Arkansas and Florida voters approved theirs through the ballot last November. Neither is in place yet. A law signed in Louisiana last year, also not yet in effect, doesn't allow the smoking or vaping of marijuana.

Other urls found in this thread:

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6339a1.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSB
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Marijuana will never be an opiate alternative, stop pushing this meme

>1 post by this ID

Support is growing amongst conservatives.

Why would you not want a profitable, less harmful alternative to heroin and fentanyl?

>Cuckservatives/Aut-Right/RINOs: "dude the opiate crisis is killing all our young whites lmao!"
>Also Cuckservatives/Aut-Right/RINOs: "dude cannabis has literally zero potential for pain management lmao!"

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

well it was good knowing ya, white race. "Death By Fentanyl" is a bizarre "Cause of Genocide", though.

>ignoring the meat of the argument

Well, what did I expect. You can have all the political support in the world, but it doesn't mean marijuana is a viable alternative for opiates.

Good luck with your slide thread

Maybe not for the most extreme cases of physical pain, but why not for wisdom teeth surgeries? Do you think that if Opioids were perscribed less, there would be less opioids for drug dealors to sell?

BEAR IN MIND: When talking about cannabis for pain management, I'm not talking about "dude just smoke a weed and your knee pain will go away"

There are actual balms and creams (think Bengay) that are made with cannabis ingredients that you just rub topically on the affected area, to relieve pain symptoms. Great for stuff like arthritis, joint pain, sore/pulled muscles, etc.

Or maybe there's just a bunch of degenerate whites who can't admit that they like the way opiates make them feel?

Correct, Whites have the highest overdose rate:

Annual number of deaths and death rates* from overdoses of heroin or prescription opioid pain relievers (OPRs), by selected characteristics — 28 states, 2008–2012

(per 100k people)

cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6339a1.htm

Why is it not? You don't consider it an effective painkiller? You feel it is as dangerous as opiates?

>Do you think that if Opioids were perscribed less, there would be less opioids for drug dealors to sell?
Yes.

Dealers literally sell prescription pills, just marked-up a couple $ for the "buyer". It's not uncommon to see a large stash of pharmaceuticals (oxy/roxy, vicodin/lortab/hydrocodone, fentanyl, xanax/benzos) when you see photos of "drug raids" that the police put up online or in newspapers.

>tl;dr: do ducks quack?

I'd argue the cases weed is an adequate substitute for opiates are cases that opiates weren't necessary. There are far fewer situations where pain patients can be adequately managed with marijuana than your crowd leads people to believe. If you disagree I invite you to spend time on an ortho floor around real pain patients.

see
In cases of pain where something can be applied topically, the patient doesn't always need to resort to popping a pill.

I think this entire issue is just forcing some americans (i.e. (You)) to ask themselves the question "am I just addicted to the way opiates make me feel"?

I'm not going to argue with you if you intend to talk around what im saying and fit it into your argument. Your reply has 0 bearing on that premise, frankly I don't understand your point. What's your degree in?

>What's your degree in?
Appeal to authority, nice.

wtf I love white opiate overdose deaths now :^)

When you defund the CIA

Its not an appeal to authority when I'm the authority, that fallacy refers to appealing to a third party. Besides, it's unlikely a care provider would balk at that question.

>More "Appeal to Authority" fallacies
This is classic.

It's like that jewish university professor who asks "oy vey so where'd you get your law degree goy?!" when someone dares to assert that they're aware/mindful of their enumerated legal rights.

It establishes this fallacious narrative that you can't even dare to have an opinion or possess information about a subject without being (((properly credentialed))) first.

Reminds me of the whole "no vagina no vote!!" fallacy.

>I'm not going to argue with you if you intend to talk around what im saying and fit it into your argument.
Also amusing because you're doing the exact same thing. I (justifiably) bring up the usage of topical cannabis treatments for some pain patients, and you "talk around what I'm saying" so you can focus on the poster instead of the post (e.g.: "oy vey who tha fuck ahh you do you even have a degree in my particular field of study goy")

wtf I love (((college degrees))) now

Can we actually discuss the issue of Cannabis medicalization in conservative/southern states rather than sperging out over meta stuff?

Wow, you're really spun on me, huh? but your sidebar about muh ointments and creams falls under the umbrella of my argument and I'm not sure why you lack the intelligence to make a greater point about whatever it is you're arguing for.

White people in flyover country are a bunch of junkie niggers. Duterte has the right idea.

Cannabis isn't a pain management drug, the solution is smarter opiate drug design (see: Kappa Opiates).

Cannabis has minute medical potential and i don't see it being used as frontline treatment for *anything* but I also don't see a reason why it wouldn't have positive supplemental effects in many cases.

>more projection
see
>Can we actually discuss the issue of Cannabis medicalization in conservative/southern states rather than sperging out over meta stuff?

Can you actually address my original point (why topical cannabis treatments are/are not feasible) without trying to resort to jewish logical fallacies?

Your virtue signaling has painted you as an anti-white pro-opiate good little goyim so far, but I'm sure that's just your millennial ego occluding you from seeing the forest through the trees (i.e.: this opiate thing is an actual problem and waving away the discussion with "you dont have the same degree I do goyim, shut up" isn't helping lower the white OD deathrates).

>tl;dr: why do you have such a problem with non-credentialed whites brainstorming about MMJ w/r/t the opiate epidemic?

It's not going to happen for a while. Conservative states lag about 10-20 years behind the rest of the country, and it's just getting there in the progressive states.

Most OPs abandon threads before they come off like needy spastics

For mild to moderate pain and as an adjunct it sure is. Also seizure disorder use, spasms, and PTSD.

I'm not sure of how well THC/CBD penetrate the skin and whether they exert any local effects or if transdermal effects would all just be systemic.

>Most OPs abandon threads before they come off like needy spastics
Post a source for that, you don't have the same degree in Online Memetic Analysis that I do so I'm wondering where you came up with this from

Is "not doing fucking drugs" too hard for white people?

You'd never treat spasms or seizures with just marijuana, I've seen those cute little infotainment videos too, but there's more bearing to this than any other point in the thread. PTSD is a completely different wheelhouse. Already agreed you could supplement pain Meds with weed but disputed replacing them with weed full stop.

Seriously, K-Opiod receptors are the new frontier.

You're not supposed to smoke anything after getting wisdom teeth pulled due to the risk of getting dry socket (I did anyway because I'm a degenerate) but that being said, edibles are always an option.

exactly, if this faggot thinks that wacky tobacky can even TOUCH opiates, he's an idiot who's never done either

That opens up the door to another stupid discussion about puritan/calvinist/mormon morality in the USA.

You can say "oh wul I don't do drugs", but then you get all these hair-splitters asking "ok so you don't drink coffee or take aspirin". The issue is that some (a lot) of opiate addicts in the USA start out because they get prescribed pain pills for a surgery or an injury by a (((doctor))), then the patient just pops them without any regard to moderation. Thanks to laws that the DEA passed a while back, patients usually can't have an "open prescription" for pain pills; they have to consult the doctor each time they want a refill, and at that point, the (((doctor))) can just say "lol no, drug seeking behavior" and show them the door. At this point, the patient ends up either kicking opiates on their own or chasing the dragon and going to the street (Tyrone) for a source on opiates.

I don't think cannabis can outright replace opiates, but (((doctors))) are over-prescribing opiates nowadays. Especially to whites.

Cannabis (or other drugs) can be used in lieu of opiates, in SOME of those cases.

I'm not going to give away too much, but cannabis derived compounds are definitely therapeutically useful and an area active research. Also transdermal delivery of cannabinoids is extremely inefficient and cost ineffective.

Most of those big hauls of pills come from Mexico to be honest. I used to buy 400 2mg xanax for $200 from a norteno since he had family members bringing it across the border. The FDA doesn't have any control over Mexican made pharmaceuticals.

Depending on what cannabis can be used for.

I say medically legalizing it in the southern states can really take a toll on the prison population, but it'll be good in the long run, since eventually recreational weed could get legalized.

In terms of effectiveness in reducing pain, from my experience THC is more akin to taking an NSAID and standing up really fast
It's not even on the same level as opiates. If someone blew one of my limbs off, or I got shot stabbed or beat to a pulp, I would be pissed if the doctor just gave me some LMAO WEED instead of knocking me the fuck out with valium and morphine and shit

medical marijuana is just a gateway being used for full legalization

Why isn't medical marijuana being handled by pharmacies? Instead, the dispensaries are being managed by the same potheads that just want to toke all day. I have a "medical" dispensary right down the street that shares space with a fucking grow shop

Sure, and CB receptors do interesting things in the lungs, but I refuse to believe marijuana is a viable alternative to opiates in a situation where opiates are actually necessary.

You're not wrong, but this is shifting the goalposts a little bit.

People are still going to be popping xanax once we build the wall and beef up border control if (((doctors))) still have carte blanche to prescribe benzos and opiates to patients (esp. white patients).

Not to mention that most fentanyl comes from china if it doesn't come from (((pharmaceutical sources))) in the USA, and dealers are cutting heroin coming from the middle east and yurop with the fentanyl.

>In terms of effectiveness in reducing pain, from my experience THC is more akin to taking an NSAID and standing up really fast
Now are you talking about "dude I twisted my ankle and smoked a weed and it didnt help lmao" or did you actually try transdermal/topical cannabis (i.e.: rubbing that shit on the affected area)?

>in a situation where opiates are actually necessary.
Now enumerate those situations, Doctor Poppyberg.

Probably a state-level vs nation-wide issue in terms of who's overseeing the pharm industry. Medical Marijuana is an unnecessary argument as far as I'm concerned, and allows the posts to gradually move towards legalization rather than us going there immediately.

Well but as an adjunct THC could likely reduce the doses required for opiate therapy and serve as a replacement for the many cases where opiates are given for mild to moderate pain, especially idiopathic pain women present with like fibromyalgia.

Cannabis makes me uncomfortable and stuck in my head. Opiates make me feel good and makes my pain go away. They are not the same for most people and will never be an alternative. Try smoking some pot before your next surgery and forego the morphine and let me know how it goes

It has more potential for long term management than breakthrough/short term management. But there isn't anything else for "brief" pain management ATM that cuts mustard like Opis do.

I've tried both. My sister lives out in CO and I've taken some salve back with me to use on my fucked up knee
I have chronic pain and inflammation from 2 surgeries I have gotten from wrestling back in high school. It helps just as much as popping a few ibuprofens. I've never tried it on a more serious injury or something a bit fresher.
I definitely wouldn't want it in place of opiates still if I had a serious injury. Maybe to supplement, but not as a main source of pain relief

Your shooting knee? I've noticed mine has been getting a little crickety as well as I get older.

Pharmacies manage some of the most controlling substances known to man, so why aren't they also handling something as "harmless" as marijuana? What could possibly be the issue?

1. Stabbed in the abdomen
2. Mauled by a dog
3. Broken leg

I could go on

>Marijuana will never be an opiate alternative, stop pushing this meme

I have chronic, irreversible pain and cannabis is the only way I can get some sleep. Sleeping meds either backfire badly or don't work. A bowl or two before bed does. It lets me use LESS opiod pain reliever but does not completely replace it.

I use oxymorphone during the day to function, then smoke weed at night for some sleep. Remember opiods do not generally help with sleep and sleep deprivation is completely disruptive. If you doubt this, try staying awake for 36 hours on a regular basis.

Yeah, I've busted it up a couple times really bad during my last few years.
Led to me getting rid of some unnecessary cartilage and stuff surgically. Doc says I'm developing arthritis too and it's impossible for me to sit with my but to my ankles because of how inflexible my leg is at the joint.
If you're still in sports, make sure to take good care of your joints. I'd give anything to have that flexibility back :(

>complains someone ignores their argument
>ignoring the OP argument that it would help ween addicts off of opiates

>Pharmacies manage some of the most controlling substances known to man, so why aren't they also handling something as "harmless" as marijuana? What could possibly be the issue?
Why should I have to go to the Friendly Nigerian Immigrant (pharmacist) just to buy something I can grow in my windowbox?

$5 sez his (((degree))) would mean that he'd tell you "the best way to ween addicts off opiates is...more opioids! (e.g.: suboxone, methadone)"

Typical jewish ivory tower syndrome, IMO

Glad it gets you to sleep and I don't want to come off like I'm anti-weed, just tired of the memes.

Not for immediate post-surgical recovery but for long-term management of mild to moderate pain. You have to remember plenty of people use opiates for pretty mild injuries or simply malinger symptoms to acquire them when they find out how good they feel. Also cannabis is an alternative to alcohol for those who cannot control their alcohol consumption.

Because pharmacists hand out metered-dose products.

Well this too. A lot of people are simply opiate addicts without actually having real severe pain issues, they like the way it feels and their FosB genes become over-expressed in the process. Cannabis provides a high without (much of)the toxicity and lethality of opiates and alcohol. I take it in a liquid form (tincture) to replace other drugs essentially and to calm my thoughts.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOSB

Maybe not full marijuana use, but in Georgia we recently allowed cannabis oil to be used as a medical alternative for things like seizures, pain, and autism.

Big Pharma is the Jew. God created cannabis but idiots think everyone who consumes cannabis is some sort of hippie. That's as illogical as considering everyone who enjoys a nice stout an alcoholic.

The Jew runs the for-profit prison system. The Jew feeds that system with laws regulating what we may do with our own bodies.

Is your body your own or is the Jew your master? Choose one.

I think the best alternative to opiate addiction is kratom desu

>ITT: we cure all addiction by making everyone dry drunks

>Because pharmacists hand out metered-dose products.
By that logic, no medication or alcohol should be available OTC.

Slippery slope is not a fallacy.

>Marijuana will never be an opiate alternative, stop pushing this meme

Who cares. All drugs should be legal

>but I want to legislate your freedoms!
No statist.

Read the thread retard

>legalize all drugs
No
>decriminalize all drugs
Yes

Yeah I get that, but for me cannabis will never be anything but an uncomfortable anxiety ride. The idea that I would take cannabis as an alternative to opiates is just silly, to me and many others they couldn't be more different.

>Doc says I'm developing arthritis
This shit terrifies me. How old are you?

Yeah kratom is much easier on ya, but develop a habit and try to get off and it will throw you for a little loop too. Not in the league of opiates, but no cakewalk either man.

Why? So Tyrone can sell my daughter some bad ecstacy that puts her in the hospital, or knocks her out so he can rape her? Why not go for a system where you can regulate the contents and keep things from establishing bloody markets?

nature is even more of a jew than science is

weed is insidious, it is much more addictive than you think
its addictive in a different way, although just as powerful as many other drug addictions

25 :)
No joke though I'm only 25 and my knees are on an express line to replacement town
kill me

Certainly it isn't for everyone but I have pretty terrible anxiety and I can handle Cannabis especially with the liquid I take I can control the dosing pretty precisely.

Because decriminalization sounds like the moderate/less inflammatory choice between the three options. People take that stance not to alienate people, meanwhile their concept of decriminalization is much closer to what legalization would look like

>mfw reading your recent posts in the archive
please stop projecting your pothead-past-shortcomings onto the weedajuana plant

I guess I don't know what definition of 'decriminalization' your talking about. When I hear decriminalization, I think of no 'criminal' charge for possession, like Colorado in the 1990s where you would get a ticket but no jail time. Does this new definition of 'decriminalization' include govornment oversight to ensure that a product is what it is advertised?

What are people gonna do once they've used up their government mandated limit on how much cocaine they can buy this week?
There will still be a black/grey market. I think there should still be harsh penalties on those who intend to distribute, and minor penalties on those who intend to use themselves.
Keeps the normies from freely becoming addicts through punishment aversion or whatever that would be called

im ok with it, as long as they pass medical ovens and gas chambers to fix these fucking cock sucking pinko commie jew rat faced kike vermin degenerate faggots

>Keep people from freely doing what they please when tobacco and alcohol is legal

How about you go fuck yourself faggot?

By your (((logic))), we should just gas a good 1/5 of the 20-30y.o. white population, because they're addicted to opiates

:^)

You're gonna grind that axe down to the handle if you keep it up

Well you can vape CBD wax or ingest CBD only edibles and you wont get "high" but you get a lot the medical benefits like reduced pain/anxiety etc

>wanting to kill degenerate hippies who smoke the herbal jew makes me a kike
kys bernout faggot

Details like limits can be hashed out later, but if there were a legal way to obtain then I would couple that with a huge crackdown on black markets. Hang em high desu

As someone who's tried both marijuana and painkillers for chronic pain, I can tell you that marijuana doesn't do shit.

decriminalization means niggers can be in charge of drug business and they dont go to jail

Marijuana will KILL the opioid market - I smoke daily for my spine pain and yet it works, cheap and creates no dependency

I used to smoke 7 grams a day (40$) now I smoke 2.8 in 3-4 days only and WAY cheaper than any pills

No wonder why it is still illegal for most

Tobacco and alcohol have cultural relevance to nice white societies. Cannabis doesn't and I think that is for a reason. Ideally our nice white citizens would feel a duty to not be a degenerate, but things are so out of wack anyway that I can't help but agree with you.

Mfw the drug war is just so we don't have to address nigger crime out loud

Marijuana effects are subjective. For me it makes me wonder if I am the only sentient human or whether my GF has been replaced with an Android or changeling while I was last out of the house. For others it treats their pain. Opiates are more consistent

Poland bringing the truth

Just agree to disagree then.
I think it's better for there to be penalties. Keeps the honest people honest. If we just up and legalize everything society would get a bit hairy for a while.
I'm all for people doing what they want, but a lot of drugs will oust control away from your life before you even realize it.
More education plus harsh penalties for distribution + small penalties for abuse seems like a great way to keep people from seriously harming themselves because they thought they could handle something they can't.
Alcohol and tobacco have been culturally relevant for hundreds, if not thousands of years before any other mind altering substance in this culture. Sure there are fringe groups using psychedelics and stuff for religious purposes but it has never been as prominent or widespread as tobacco and alcohol. We've already come to a point where removing them would do more harm than good, so they ought to stay where they are.

Then simply do not use it if it disagrees with you.

Your body belongs to you, not I. My body belongs to me. Neither of our bodies belong to statists.

>weed is insidious, it is much more addictive than you think

My cannabis experience extends to the mid-1970s, with a long interruption in a government career. Zero addictive effects IME and in millions of other.

Just because a few babies can't chew steak doesn't mean it should be forbidden to men.

How dare you bring science into a moralist discussion? Take those icky facts away.

>we gotta send these pot smokers and lsd users to jail for putting themselves in danger
>were just keeping you from harming yourself
>Just smoke a marlboro and have a bud instead man it's legal and culturally relevant

How about you legally suck some cock you commie faggot.

Then don't push this retarded narrative that it will be an alternative to opiates because it isn't.

I disagree by the way. The state is the natural expression of man's tribal nature. 'rights' do not exist outside the context of the state that holds back the savages and wilderness. That being said, in today's world wherein states exist to prop up the other at the expense of whites, it's natural for whites to wish to limit the states capacity to do so.

Because it isn't an opiate, its a depressant you idiot.

Some cannabinoids do act as positive allosteric modulators of endogenous endorphins and enkephalins but we would really need to do more research to grow and create strains specific for pain killing effects before we could replace things as strong as opioids for even just moderate pain.

More like
>We gotta send this guy selling 2lbs of crack cocaine a week to the locals to prison
>We need to send this guy nodding out on the streets and harassing locals to therapy because he obviously needs some help he can't give himself
>Here are all the risks and cons to smoking, alcohol, and drugs kids, make sure you are ready to take on the risks if you want to partake, which we strongly encourage you not to.

Alcohol and tobacco cannot be removed. Law has limits. People like punitive law far too much and tend to be incapable of addressing anything without legalism.

The body count for booze and nicotine dwarfs crime, war and accidental death. The totals aren't even close. Social damage management argues for cannabis legalization even if you hate weed and want to kill everyone who isn't a teetotaler, because LAW WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO IMPOSE THE REALITY YOU PREFER.

>(((doctors))) are over-prescribing opiates nowadays. Especially to whites.
definitely not true, I've been on a waiting list for 3 months

legalize all drugs, tax, and use the money as principal paydowns on the national debt. problem solved.

if trump did this, he'd win half the democrat vote in 2020 and would win in a reagan style landslide. but of course he won't do it because jeff "good people don't smoke marijuana" sessions is in his ear.

Shut up common kike you ape fucking degenerate.