Retail apocalypse FUCKING GAMESTOP

valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/article_37d106ce-1303-11e7-b6f8-f321a2742df7.html

usatoday.com/story/money/2017/03/22/retailers-closing-stores-sears-kmart-jcpenney-macys-mcsports-gandermountian/99492180/

>FUCKING GAMESTOP closing at least 150 stores in the US
>Sears/Kmart near bankruptcy. Closing 108 Kmart and 42 Sears stores
>Payless Shoes files for bankruptcy, closing more than 500 stores
>JC Penney closing 138 stores
>Macy's closing 68 stores

There's something wrong with our economy with so many brick and mortar stores closing. Americans are so poor that they don't even have enough money to spend on vidya at Gamestop. We really are due for another major financial crash since Americans have so little money in their pockets that they cannot afford to buy clothes and vidya.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uK9qgEQdhQ0
kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/16637/last-blockbuster-twitter/
twitter.com/loneblockbuster
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Or maybe gaymers are just downloading their shit instead of buying physical copies, putting shit stores like Gamestop out of business.

Wut is online shopping

wolfenstein cost was around 6$ and was a revolutionary 1st person shooter.
Any game from EA games cost 60$ for the base and then charges you 50$ for additional map packs and extras you need just to have the full game. This is what happens to everything that manages to become popular, the Jews dig in like worms, and it dies.
This is the life cycle of everything and the sooner you accept it, the more adaptive and resilient you will become

It's called the Internet you fucking moron

Why go to a store when it's cheaper to buy from the comfort of your own home

jesus christ, how can you be so stupid?

Gamestop sells stuff online now. Why do they need bulky stores?

The only sad part is the malls will be even more vacant. Kids these days don't know the joys of meeting up with your buddies on Friday night and seeing how long it takes security to kick you out of the mall.

These could also be more victims of the internet. Why drive all the way out there and then have to deal with crowds and clueless employees only to find out they don't have what you need.

Best Buy and Amazon give 20% off new games, and you can consistently buy brand new copies of games from them, for cheaper than Fucking Gamestops scratched copies with no case/manual.

>sears
good fucking riddance

Gamestop does have an online presence, and so do all the above stores. We can't just keep blaming online sales for the decline of brick and mortar stores- since online sales only account for 10% of retail.

The term '"retail apocalypse" is becoming a part of the mainstream news these days. You know there is something obviously wrong with the economy when the mainstream news has given up on trying to hide this fact.

Low end niche stores are no longer relevant. Big box stores kill them from one side and the internet does it from the other. Only high margin stores with crazy levels of ass kissing can survive being a niche player. My gf buys her beauty products from a store that gives her a hand and arm massage when she buys soap. She can't get that from Target or Amazon even if a comparable soap is sold by them. She pays extra for all the ass kissing they give her.

I play on PC only and have been exclusively pirating for the past year.
I don't care if the industry collapses if they keep trying to shove leftist propaganda and additional content down my throat.
Release full fucking games again. Don't release new parts. Make the whole damn thing and sell it to me in one piece or fuck off.

Good. Fuck em. Local stores have older stuff and better prices on the same stuff anyways, without the shitty le maymay and niggery casual gamer culture

I buy everything on Amazon brick and mortar stores can go fuck themselves

Evolve or die

>seeing how long it takes security to kick you out of the mall.
Now it's a contest online to see which friend can trigger a Millennial Snowflake enough to be banned from that social media platform.

People are still buying games from brick and mortar, but they are buying them from Best Buy, Target and Walmart, where they get lower prices, and don't have to deal with creepy ass gamestop employees.

Retail isn't going away, it is being consolidated into megacorps.

>not shopping on the e-web form your comfiest chair

Why the hell would I go to a store when I have to download another 20 gigs when I get home.

Amazon is shit too.
Quit giving Bezos money. He spews propaganda by way of The Washington Post.

> Kmart
> Payless shoes
I didn't even realize these stores were still around. They went bankrupt in my city like 15 years ago.

> Generic mall clothing stores
They all sold really generic clothing that you could get anywhere or on the internet, its no surprise.

Amazon will destroy more American jobs than China ever could.

The economy has problems but retailers have been retarded in their expansion over the last decade. There is an order of magnitude more retail square footage per consumer in the US than there is in most other industrialized nations. We simply don't need several hundred "Linens 'n Things" stores. There is too many retailers with too many locations chasing after the same pool of consumer dollars.

eat a dick, sales tax

I live and die by Gamestop deals

Good goy don't support stores in your community. They only hire people and invest money into bettering the community.

Holy shit. ChrisChan's boycotting and protesting of GameStop because of Sonic's arms being blue really worked!

Gamestop is a fucking joke. I love how they are buying "vintage games" now. Take your copy of Mario 3 or Metroid in there, and see what they offer.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO BATTLETOADS

How do I into 20% off exactly?

youtube.com/watch?v=uK9qgEQdhQ0

Me thinks that you should look at online shopping, that's were all game stops and the other stores long nosed tribes money is going. Me also thinks that our economy is broken because of online shopping one company can't handle them all, we need variety do long nose tribe can't get more shekels but if it's one long nose tribe it's handling to much money.

>JC Penniless

Thanks Trump!
Thanks alot, ya stupid orange cheeto!!!

>me thinks

Redditor detected

>There's something wrong with our economy with so many brick and mortar stores closing. Americans are so poor that they don't even have enough money to spend on vidya at Gamestop. We really are due for another major financial crash since Americans have so little money in their pockets that they cannot afford to buy clothes and vidya.
Isn't it because online stores beat the prices of those physical stores simply because they dont need to pay rent and taxes for the location and can therefore drop their prices below what these stores ever could?

Same thing happened to blockbuster after Netflix showed up. Do you really miss blockbuster considering how much more convenient netflix is?

They used to sell vintage games ages ago, the fucking ripped me off with duds and their 2 for one deal even then though.

Nope just saw the cave man threads and one guy was doing it, so I said why not is start doing it

>Americans are so poor that they don't even have enough money to spend on vidya at Gamestop
Who, other than casual console gamers shop at a store for vidya?

The rest of those cheap shoes and clothes can be bought online directly from their Chinese makers, so good riddance.

It's current year, brick and mortar stores are a dying breed.

I like amazon, but I also enjoy leaving the house to buy shit I don't need at target. I like creeping on girls and their leggings.

I do miss Blockbuster. So many happy memories. I have to pirate now. GG.

Did Gamestop really think they could sustain having a FUCKING GAMESTOP two blocks away from other gamestops?

Battlefield 1 is also a lot more fun.

None of that is indicative of a strong or weak economy. Just consumers changing their habits ie. digital game distribution and online item purchases.

There used to be a gamestop across from a gamestop at my mall.

>I do miss Blockbuster. So many happy memories. I have to pirate now. GG.
Cheer up britbro, it is not so bad, at least you get to be a pirate like your ancestors!

Now repeat with me: YOHOHO BRITANNIA RULE THE WAVES!

Block buster is on life support with "blue boxes" and there's still one in my city

>>/Reddit/

YAR HAR FIDDLEDEDEE

>go to store
>get shot by a nigger

Online sales are rendering physical locations obsolete

>travelling 1 hr to the mall to browse a limited, outdated selection of goods at a marked up price

malls are very crowded and thriving here, but i only go to the mall when i feel the need to be around human beings once in a blue moon

for clothes theres asos, for games theres steam and piratebay, everything else i can just ebay

Actually the Block Busters still standing are privately owned. They're the only ones left.

I worked for game stop corporate it for years until ~7 years back when a VP was caught embezzling millions. It was at this time I say management for what they really are due to a federal investigation and management suggested I make emails disappear. Serves them right.

*blockades your path*

PRAISE KEK

Even at a young age, I knew brick and mortar game stores were fucking traps. Buy your games back for $10 and sell them for $39.99.

For the rest, I only go to any of those stores if I'm bored or interested in seeing something specific in person.

even those, theres only 1 store left, the rest all closed by 2014

kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/16637/last-blockbuster-twitter/

twitter.com/loneblockbuster

Game companies are so Jewish anymore that they only put in 1 fucking dvd which only contains about 5 gb of the game and NO MANUAL.
I remember when that would give you the WHOLE game even if it took 6 dvd's, a manual and a poster.

I'll miss murrican malls. best place to creep on horny highschool homos looking for quick action in the bathrooms.

the Bourgeoisie are going down desu

I tried to buy a Playstation Vita and some games. I wanted them new. Gamestop doesn't even carry new Vita's in stores, and they had exactly 1 not-used game for Vita.

So of fucking course I bought it online. I don't want to pay 1-3 dollars less for a scratched up incomplete game. Fuck them.

When Border's bookstore closed down, so did Tokyopop, since Border's was one of their biggest customers.

I do think niche game publishers like Atlus may not do as well and may cut back on publishing games in the US if they don't have Gamestop as one of their major purchasers.

>implying more dvd's=more value
Dvd's are worth nothing, the poster and manual are nice to have, the most valuable will be the game itself
>game nowadays are not even fucking finished version, companies just release fucking open beta to scam

WOW, IMAGINE THAT.
Its cheaper to own a big warehouse, a cardboard factory, and a website then 2500 stores?

They really are fucken creepy, harassing you to preorder something or sign up for shit. I know they are pressured to do it but damn it's annoying.

no one buys stuff online in their store if there is amazon around with ridiculously small delivery time.
Gamestops entire business proposition was its brick and mortar shops in areas with shit internet. They make most of their money by reselling physical disks.
I can't wait for them to die, they're a menace for customers and the industry alike.

>ready the cannons!

You're autistic mate
inb4 exact same response

Game stop had to order my Vita from another store, $20 more and I could have gotten a new one online.

Online sales.

/thread

>physical stores crash and close
> America can't sell anything amazon is the king and owns all markets
> they lower food prices just for easy shopping
> economy collapse because I can buy cheese gaymer laptops because amazon allows it
> within a year our economy collapses into the ground aswell with amazon because they are only worth 200 billion

See we need another collapse to turn toward the digital age only bad part is china makes everything, we are the largest food producer in this world but china makes our shit. If democrats didn't sling shit at china we would be better partnered Russia's another story cause of oil still the same issue, we could be in a global cyber punk empire if it wasent for the retarded psycho democrats.

Western AAA gaming industry needs to crash.

>not getting in on the ground floor of online
>caring about corporations failing in capitalist society

Their loss will bring new gains.

Gamestop was dead as soon as online retailing came online. Plus, people got sick of buying a $60 game, selling it back the next day for $10, and then buying another $60 game.

Great idea at first, but people get sick of that shit. Fuck Gamestop for being so greedy that they failed to diversify even when everyone could see it coming.

The point is not having to wait 6 hours to play the game.

That's because it's the fucking Vita. Nintendo dominates handhelds.

>Paying money for digital copies.

People actually do this?

Nice bait but the reason is all of those stores listed have much better replacements that are thriving.

Only suburban and rural retards shop at major chain stores. Hence why walmart is so popular.

>what is Steam

Its really just online retail.
Its fucking mindblowing that I can order something at 9am and have it at my door at 5pm.

I remember as a kid loading up the car. Everyone agrees to meet up in 2 hours. Mom hands me like a $50. And meet at the Burger King for dinner before we leave. Do people even go to malls anymore? I find myself going once a year, for those rare "I have this thing i need to go to for work, i need a new shirt"

You mean people like the police, no thanks.

i only pay for those when there are on $1 sale

steam basically fucks up physical copies

This.

They do it so you don't have to. Be thankful.

THIS

EVOLVE OR DIE

fuck your community stores....all these retail scumbags can all pack up and work like slaves in an Amazon distribution center. if you don't like it then you can always get an education and not live like a fucking monkey moving boxes

i hope boscov's is ok
i like boscov's :(

Sears could been Amazon but their corporate leadership was too dumb to realize it. In the late 80's-Early 90's still Sears had one of the largest mail order distribution networks in the world, and also Owned CompuServe, the first successful, and at the time, largest Dialup ISP. Nobody thought to put two and two together. RIP Sears.

> new (((progressive))) videogames
> not even once
And older ones can be downloaded for free, nobody cares.

I'm more concerned with Macy's.

The better local mall has Macy's, JC Penny, and Sears and anchors. Also Nordstrom, but I don't care for them. Then again, my parents had a number of issues with Sears over the years and stopped shopping there.

Good point.

Plus Gamestop is a glorified pawn shop. Both their online and bricked stores are. Online even has trade in the newly booming 'retro' market.

Gamestop isn't hurting. They just don't care to spend a little more to maintain physical stores if they can make much more money as an online pawn star.

They just want to maximize profit by forcing people to trade stuff in online rather than maintain physical stores.

The upper corporate echelon want to eliminate brick and mortar stores. Despite decent profits, they just want to create an online marketplace to trade in things.

The scarier thing is that this is actually still old fashioned compared to what some companies want. Many companies want to move onto digital only sales and even streaming services that completely eliminate personal property.

To me, if I were to put on a tinfoil hat, this is all a plot to eliminate people having personal property and have everyone reliant on online rental services provided by companies.

This is good.
Leases will get cheaper if there are less of these Gamestop/GNC/[Insert shitty clouths store here] types of businesses driving up demand. We could very well see a rise in unique small businesses that start locally taking these spots. I might even open up my ebay store if the price is right desu.

This. Absolute trash.

>uninspired unimaginative games
>corrupt game reviews
>developers treated poorly by employers
>games now released unfinished with bugs and poor optimisation on release
>propaganda forced into big releases
>dumbing down to appease noobs
>holding content hostage as paid DLC

Total cancer. And it won't get better because the main audience is teenagers who don't know any better. The new Mass Effect game is a shining example of everything wrong with the modern game industry. What a mess.

Online shopping has crushed retail margins to virtually nothing, as you can now compare prices at any retailer, anywhere. Those with the largest overhead are dying, and physical locations that are now longer economical are being closed. Consumer spending is actually still increasing.

there's a blockbuster about 10 minutes away from me. it's been in business for as long as i can remember and always has people in there renting dvds.

>o
No shit GameStop has an online presence. That doesn't mean GameStop won't cut their losses and start closing unprofitable wastes of space

Gaming will die in general with the way the industry is headed.
Source: the new mass effect

They invest in
local boy/girl scouts
sport teams for kids in elementary school
sport teams for older adults
local charities
local causes
community parties
schools
etc

Amazon Prime, + free 2 day shipping / release day for games

gamestop is kill because more people than ever have made the switch to pc gaming. consoles as a concept are obsolete, marketing is the only thing that sells them anymore