Cost of Living

Okay Sup Forums

I'm trying to fully understand why a 30 year old man making $40,000 a year can't support a family of 4(Him, wife, 2 kids) on his salary alone.

In 1950 the average wage for white men was $18,000. Converted to today's dollar that would be $181,944 due to inflation.

What the hell happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/search?q=1950 the average wage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
web.stanford.edu/class/polisci120a/immigration/Median Household Income.pdf
google.com/search?q=gini index
youtube.com/watch?v=3E_mnSN-9TM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bamp

Can't bump your own threaf
But the answer is you still can just dont waste money on stupid shit

plenty of people bump their own threads.

Expand on "stupid shit"

Trickle down economics coupled with leftist, "we gotta gib dem dere gib meZZZ!"-ideology- have raped and pillage the middle class, left the bottom rungs on the "ladder" to nepotism, and completely destroyed the ideas that made our country great. If this shit continues, we're going to be a caste system coupled with Wally-ish subhuman dindus.

Wages haven't kept pace.

When the government spends money in deficit that is essentially printing money.

>due to inflation.
Answered your own question mane.

>$18,000
I don't even make this per year, I make California minimum wage and don't work full time though.

>What the hell happened?
- Inflation
- Women entering the workforce, doubling the labor pool and cutting wages
- Legal and illegal Immigrants further entering the labor pool. Slashing wages even further
- Corruption
- Outsourcing.
- Trickle down economics
- Capital control and regulations.
- The US is no longer the big fish in a small pond. Other countries have taken the slot as better manufacturers.

>Trickle down economics
doesnt exist

greed and i got mine so fuck all the rest
people fucking hate each other when it comes to money

I can barely afford to feed my cat and myself with 89k a year. Live and own property in Toronto though.

Anything is easy if you live in the boonies, but then what mickey-mouse job are you even doing? Working at the local walmart?

>trickle down economics
fucking kek

>better manufacturers

Better or cheaper?

>What the hell happened?
Globalism.

More and more american companies started migrating their factories to asia, were they pay retarded low wages and save a shitload of money by not paying those high salaries to you and your fellow americans.

This is great for business and terrible for the economy and overall population.

Also notice how expensive everything is now a days, the price for top of the line computers for example has greatly increased over the last decade, even though companies spend roughly the same amount of raw materials to make modern computers as they did older ones, sometimes less!

The reason is that companies have gotten greedier, thus increasing prices, lowering wages and moving their factors to other countries were workforce costs are lower.

Basically, blame the jews.

>tfw living alone and renting in Toronto on $41k, but no cat

infinite growth in a finite world problems?

This is exactly what happened dot by dot.

what happened at Disney is the perfect example of Greed and I got mine fuck the rest.
white people will back stab other white people if it means they can keep their job
the only time someone will complain is AFTER they get laid off even if they know what they are doing is morally wrong while employed

Computers have gotten cheaper... in 1992, it was $4000 for a home computer. Now, a basically capable system is less than $500. I agree with your basic premise, but the specific example is out of step with your argument.

Both

China makes cheaper products than the US at decent quality. Its a myth and China-bashing that "China makes all junk hurrr." They make OK products, not masterwork, but OK.

And the Japanese make better cars than we do in the US. The US does have good quality products, but we can't just keep bashing other countries' products and saying they are junk- other countries make some pretty good stuff at a lower cost. We couldn't keep the post WW2 production to ourselves forever.

No they don't you idiot, "you can't bump your own thread" is a feature of the website, not just an unwritten rule

trickle down economics is a myth.

I've been doing it for years and this is the first I've heard of this.

also checked

yeah, but, its not the jews who moved all of these corporations overseas.

Jesus Christ, you children keep talking in circles about your own fantasy land that will never exist again in your lifetime.

You think if you were the sole bread winner of a family of 6, you would EVER have time for your video games? Let alone getting to spend time with your kids in general.

Why men had Ultimate final say in a family home back then was because they brought all the money, and sacrificed their time alive on this earth to keep kids they can barely keep contact with alive.

You faggots Don't actually want what you want. The fantasy white man family can't co-exist with your lifestyle as it is now.

yea, i mean it's doable. I also drive and put money away each pay, but it's tight.

the truth is all of you would take a job in a heartbeat even if that means putting 10+ other white people out of work, who have the same qualifications, and making the same amount as you. dont fucking lie, you know you would.

he, um, just did

>implying I wouldn't work my hands to the bones to support a wife and 6 kids

If I was able to have 6 kids without my wife working I would jump at the opportunity. It would need to be a really shitty job for me to not want to do that.

>Better or cheaper?
BOTH mate!

China does it cheaper, Germany does it better.

Those are currently the top manufacturers in the world.

>Reminder that German engineering has always been superior.

>infinite growth in a finite world problems?
That too, but it is more due to the fact they can now expand their companies across the world and move jobs to other countries, that is the main reason your economy is breaking down alongside massive inflation due to your country militaristic existance that consumes far too much resources on wars and defense budget, causing your debt to grow ever larger, thus creating more inflation.

>This is exactly what happened dot by dot.
Some other stuff like the ever growing mechanization and evolution of information exchange networks also played a considerable influence on the current scenario that simply did not exist in 1950.

>Computers have gotten cheaper... in 1992, it was $4000 for a home computer. Now, a basically capable system is less than $500. I agree with your basic premise, but the specific example is out of step with your argument.
>Now, a basically capable system is less than $500.
>basically capable
I said top of the line. Go ahead and google how much a top of the line machine is currently costing.

>yeah, but, its not the jews who moved all of these corporations overseas.
NOOOO, they just OWN the companies shares and the banks the companies own money to...

>1950

>The average U.S. family’s income of
$4,237 had increased by 178.0 percent
since 1934–36.

>As for income distribution,
53.4 percent of U.S. families had
incomes less than $5,000, with 25.0 percent
earning less than $3,000.

>The median
family income was $3,216.

>Average family expenditures during
the same timeframe had increased 151.9
percent, to $3,808.

Because he and his kids buy too much shit to keep up with the Joneses. A new car when a used one would work. A bigger house when bunk beds would suffice. A 4K TV, because commercials just don't look good enough in 1080p. Every new gadget that comes out for the kids. A diamond necklace every few months so the wife doesn't whore around and leave. Basically, Americans suck at life, and that's why they're so poor. Their parents and grandparents did so well because their houses were tiny, their cars were shit and broke down all the time - guess what? They fixed them, because they couldn't afford a new one every five years (and they didn't lease.) If you just live cheaply, and make stuff work/last, you can be middle-class-rich with little trouble on even like $30k/year.

google.com/search?q=1950 the average wage&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Quote:

The average annual salary in the United States in 1950 was $3,210. The average cost of a gallon of gas in 1950 was 18 cents, while the cost of a new car was $1,510 and a house would cost roughly $8,450.

OP is a clueless dullard.

The general idea of deregulation, tax cuts, tax incentives for sector specific /income specific demographics under the guise that it will somehow help everyone.

>Trickle down economics is a term used to describe the belief that if high income earners gain an increase in salary, then everyone in the economy will benefit as their increased income and wealth filter through to all sections in society

Read it and weep

Faggots - if you self 'bump' your thread doesn't bump at all, it stays at the bottom of the queue.
Damn newfags, lemme tell ya.

What the hell happened? Standard of living went up astronomically, labor force shocks, inflation, scarcity of land, expansion of the money supply over QTM ratio, expensive foreign policy, are all correct answers.

The real answer is the world changes and what is worth millions today can be worth nothing tomorrow. This is not something decided by politics. A taxi driver may have been a good gig 30 years ago but now we have uber and you wont be making shit and competing with college drop outs much younger than you.

>This is not something decided by politics.
Oh bullshit. Boomers sucked the country dry and left the bill

>standard of living went up astronomically
This. Houses used to be tiny, cars used to be shit, and TVs used to be tiny and shit. The cost of living goes up at the same rate as the amount of shiny that we want. Live like your grandparents and you can get by on their kind of money.

My parents' divorce cost my dad $1.5M

I think 40,000 would be difficult to raise that many children on, but not impossible. Diet would have to be healthy like rice, beans, eggs, frozen veggies.
The cost of manufactured goods has dropped significantly, a 60" 4k tv can go on sale for like 600. A shitty 23" tv back in the day probably cost like $1500(their money).

lol that's a shitty caymans bank if it couldn't even shield that little money. What's that? He trusted US banks? His loss.

politics has an effect on price as does the how hot the summer gets but thats not what i mean

i mean price is not determined by politics

its determined by the market and what someone will be willing to pay for it.

A refrigerator would cost the same as a whole month's paycheck

where are you getting your shit facts OP?

average person in the 1950s made 5K a year which is about 30 k now

web.stanford.edu/class/polisci120a/immigration/Median Household Income.pdf

yes yes goy, its your own fault for buying an HDTV.

This "its your fault for having a cell phone, flatscreen, and car" is such a fallacy. Those things aren't even that expensive, and they were certainly more expensive back in the 60's. Shitty TVs were more expensive back then, cars were more expensive, radios were expensive. Things have gotten cheaper today because of competition, innovation, and outsourcing.

Many millenials can't even afford to rent an apartment. Much less buy a small under 1500 square foot house. HDTVs and Android phones are not expensive, and they aren't the reason why millenials are so poor.

Everyone insists on living in the city where rent is outrageous. I'm 32 and bought a condo in a suburb. One of my coworkers is 22 and has a roomate and still pays 500 more than me for a smaller apartment. Just a bit further out you can find houses for 100k or so and with internet and work from home jobs this should be a no-brainer.

The rising cost of living in the U.S coupled with stagnant wages.

>with internet and work from home jobs this should be a no-brainer.
your boomer brain parents taught you well
do you actually believe those spam bots about their aunt making 4000 a month from home with this one simple trick?

then why do people complain about it? just laughing at the perpetrators would be enuf

>suburb
Congrats user, your now a slave to the petrol-dollar because there's no way your getting around.

Especially with high car insurgence not to meantion the only way to get a car is directly form the Merchant since car companies can't sell their shit credulity because dealerships are protected by lobbyists.

Correct line of thought but you didnt follow to the logical conclusion.

Millennials are trash and belong in there.

>credulity
Fucking auto correct, I meant directly.

All of the "you can't bump your own thread, faggot" posts are us laughing at you

lol wut? wfh is being offered at a lot of companies like call centers and order fulfillment

A bit over 1 cent for 4 gallons of gasoline, huh? And all the rest.

Learn2units

>you are now a slave to the petrol-dollar
>slave to the petrol-dollar
>slave to the dollar
You still want to live in America right?

>What the hell happened?
google.com/search?q=gini index

sending applications online is alright (you should still actively apply for hands-on apprenticeships or physical interviews), "working from home" is not plausible

that's reaching a little far don't you think

Anyway it doesn't matter, in a few years Tesla is going to be making cheap electric self driving cars.

this is a level one question. read the creature from jekyll island. then post.

Literally everything wrong with modern America can be traced back to when we went off the gold standard.

I was able to do it op, 40k baught a house 170k and we have 3 cars and 3kids. Sounds like your a snowflake trying to skip the hussle. Be smart save money grind don't go out to eat lunch every day eat ppnj every day quit bitching no one owes you anything. Stop paying 700$ for a phone and 90$ for a bottle of cologne be penny wise and wondering why you are broke eat store brand shit save money make it happen. No one's going to do it for you, time to put on your big boy pants. I started at 40k hussle and now I'm sitting at 77k. Get out there and get it fucker!

>Anyway it doesn't matter, in a few years Tesla is going to be making cheap electric self driving cars.

>year 1959
>Everyone will have flying cars any day now just you wait!

we literally have electric cars being tested and driven right now.

I personally know many people that do work from home. Its very plausible. Living in the city and bitching about unavoidable housing is what I find perplexing. No shit high demand and low supply cause rate hikes.

jews and liberals

youtube.com/watch?v=3E_mnSN-9TM

and with auto driving capability!

we already a caste system when it comes to money but that about it. I met a big name country rock star in person and he smelled like shit. Money cant even buy stuff like basic hygiene.

You seem to think (((Sup Forums))) is some board that actually cares about the wellbeing of the citizenry.

This board is full of shills and dumb cuck faggots who think they're *in* with the shills who are saying "fuck you" to the American citizenry and screwing them over, orchestrating social decadence, and robbing them while filling their pockets

In fact, "fuck you" is basically what their (the shills) exact response has been in every incarnation of this thread.

As if the actual American citizenry would actually have a "fuck you" attitude towards themselves on this topic.

Sup Forumsfaggots. Its strangly tame this time, though. Not much "fuck you" or "lazy fuck" or "commie scum" or other bogus replies....

((()))
>coupled with leftist, "we gotta gib dem dere gib meZZZ!"-
Bullshit. This has nothing to do with why.

The average income was close to 3k, sand monkey. That comes to 31k a year now with inflation. The prices of houses went way up though

>Trickle down economics

It was actually import the worst people from every third world country economics that let us down f a m, and we have every prez after Nixon to blame for that, plus LBJ

>Stupid shit

$600 phones
$3000 laptops
$30000 cars
$X on a shitty diet
List goes on

Fiscal responsibility is not that hard.

Meant for:

We literally had airplanes and rockets being flown back then.

You still forget the cancerous gov redtape over having self driving vehicles on the road, and the hemmeroids that is getting a charging station for the electric cars.

Im sure we drink enough of musk's cum it will happen!

Fuck you to anyone that wants to tax someone that worked for their money is what I say.
There are blogs about people that have lived on 7k a year and saved for a better life. Its doable without the welfare and the government overhead horse shit.

Don't try to be a hero goy, remember what happened to Nixon!

There is very little difference then to now in America on your chart, what issue do you take with this income inequality?

You're just determined not to be happy with any situation.

So where does the phrase "shameless self bump" come from. That was a Sup Forums staple for more than a decade.

>hurr durr just $7,000
You're full of shit and a faggot shill.

Game theory I know how this story ends

Republicans that is all ya need to know.