The Melting Pot Theory

Today a college professor talked about the melting pot theory in an American Culture class.

"The melting pot is a metaphor for a heterogeneous society becoming more homogeneous, the different elements "melting together" into a harmonious whole with a common culture or vice versa, for a homogeneous society becoming more heterogeneous through the influx of foreign elements with different cultural background with a potential creation of disharmony with the previous culture."

He argued that it doesn't matter if foreigners enter another country and stay there because, in the long run, the 3rth or 4rth generation will completely assimilate and forget their ancestry/original country.

Is he correct?
Repill me on the Melting Pot.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC4AUyju7k
foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/28/the-hispanic-challenge/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Philadelphia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

>melting pot Redpill
If you are interested in this I highly suggest you check out "the dispossessed majority" by Wilmont Robertson very informative

As for your professor I can tell you right now that he is wrong when saying in only 3-4 generations anyone can be assimilated, just look at our black population in the US.
They have been here for 400 some odd years, and have they (generally speaking) assimilated into American culture? No, they've made their own sub culture, understandably so because it's just impossible for races that differ SO much like blacks and whites to truly assimilate with one another

The "Melting Pot" is a complete scam. A disaster.
It turns America into a third world nation, and somehow people are supposed to take pride in that.
It was also promoted by a Jew named Israel Zangwill.

Bumping this because these types of threads belong on Sup Forums and newfags need to see it, good job OP

Theoretically if you have a reasonable level of immigration and people HAVE to assimilate
But now we have 3rd generation immigrants raised in New England and their first language is Spanish because they aren't assimilating
They're just forming their own communities

>(((Israel Zangwill)))

>"They're just forming their own communities"

Yeah, the professor talked about that.
He said that happens, but that through time the communities disappear because people disperse and assimilate.
He gave the example of some portuguese community in the USA that went through that.

Thanks, user.

>Is he correct?
He is, but only if the government really takes some steps to assimilate the foreigners. Just look at America, it used to be 60% german and now no one speaks german there actually.

Bill the Butcher did nothing wrong

Assuming that they don't ghettoize and self-marginalize though maladaptative behavior.

Look at any Chinatown - generations old, yet still without fail always halfway scummy and slummy, filled with local-born Chinese who struggle to speak the local language. Ultimately, they prefer to be Chinese, and so that is what they are.

Immigrants must have the desire to acclimate and embrace their host country, even if they in other ways hold onto their original culture.
Case in point: Vietnamese-Americans. Look at any Little Saigon in the US and you will see them fly both the South Vietnamese flag alongside the American, they'll speak fluent English yet still have the entire place bi-lingual with Vietnamese, and they by and large adopted American cultural and social norms - they're politically active, and embrace American values. They also hate commies more than the average American.

Fucking obviously not. Theres a reason every major city has a Spanish part of town, a Chinese part, a black part. You assimilate to whats around you and even 4th generation children will adopt the attitudes of the elders when theyre secluded in this area.

I almost agree with you 100% my only hang up is that the "know nothings" were founded by a Jew Charles Levin
Other than that I love bill
t. Practicing Catholic American of Irish descent

Melting pot works ok if everyone is close enough genetically.
Sort of like how Koreans and Mongolians do ok in Japan but Somalians or Pakistanis would not.

Portuguese are the worst immigrants here, they don't assimilate doesn't matter how long they have been here

America is responsible for memeing the mellting pot thing into canadian culture

Portugese isnt a sizable community here. Where I live the billboards are in Spanish. What the fuck kind of bullshit is that?

>whaa it's Americas fault!
Typical leaf

I'm a burger.

It helps that we have a culture of immigrants. 99.99% of people who live in america immigrated there (or their great great great grandparents did)

In America we were taught the difference between multi-culturalism; where certain countrys are more segregated and the immigrant population doesn't join; sometimes its not even a request from the government. I don't imagine many immigrants go to England to assimilate and learn about british culture and heritage. They just go for gibs.

The american dream and constitution is heavily respected worldwide.

A second generation burger will be assimilated 95% of the time.

Depends where you live, but you probably live in an area that used to be part of the Spanish Monarchy. So I see nothing wrong with that. If we are talking about the East coast, that's already concerning.

>Melting pot works in Japan
Lol no
m.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC4AUyju7k
Earlier they were shouting Gooks go home too

This is probably in part, of course, because Vietnamese couldn't go home to Vietnam. They had more drive and incentive to make it work in their new country - there was no fall back option, save for forced re-education camps back home, hence why they had to adapt or die. Today, they're proud of their heritage, and equally proud of their new home.

Chinese immigrants, I feel, have always taken more of a "fuck it, we can always go back home" attitude, which is why they're among the least English-literate immigrants, even two or three generations in, and why their communities are less involved in society at large. Walk through Chinatown and you'll see little American pride, but walk through Little Saigon and you'll see flags side by side lining the streets, and memorials to the war sprinkled throughout. Viets are probably among the most based immigrants in America.

I actually didn't know that. Fug

bump

racist alt-righters need to see this thread

>"The melting pot is a metaphor for a heterogeneous society becoming more homogeneous, the different elements "melting together" into a harmonious whole with a common culture or vice versa, for a homogeneous society becoming more heterogeneous through the influx of foreign elements with different cultural background with a potential creation of disharmony with the previous culture."

Haha it's both!

Yea mayne, bill got jewed into playing a shabbos Goy

Metallurgist here, even a small amount of the wrong substance can completely fuck up an entire batch, at best necessitating a very costly and time consuming purification and, at worst ruining both the crucible and the batch permanently.

>I'm a burger

No you aren't, You're a Vietnamese nigger-tier Asian.

I'm not the one teaching the class, you know.
I just want to be prepared to redpill the whole class with my oral presentation on this.

He also used the italian community and european families as examples.

That's actually a nice analogy.

>Is he correct?
no see turks in germany

>Koreans
>Mongolians
>white
Did you even read my post you nigger?

>He argued that it doesn't matter if foreigners enter another country and stay there because, in the long run, the 3rth or 4rth generation will completely assimilate and forget their ancestry/original country.
You mean like the European settlers gave up guns and took up tomahawks and started scalping people?

It depends on the culture and the number of immigrants.

Considering how niggers and spics act I think he's wrong.

The melting pot theory was created BY A JEW

No he's a fucking Leftie idiot, see Muslims in the UK, especially places like Rotherham and Birmingham for reference.

I did, I said in my post that the Protesters were yelling "Gooks Go Home!" Before they found the two white tourists, they have a huge thing against anyone who isn't Japanese

In my experience whites and americanized east Asians seem to be pretty compatible (My experience is mostly with Koreans). Indians a little less so, although not nearly as bad as feral negroes or Arabs.

What does Sup Forums think about that?

>has never been around based-tier Gook immigrants
To be fair, we only got the capitalism and freedom loving ones. All the communist filth stayed home in Hanoi.

If any LA riot-tier events ever happen around any Little Saigon, I fully expect Roof Koreans 2: Electric Boogaloo

Go full on Sup Forums. Say it's a ploy by the international Jewish empire to destabilize countries and justify importation of poor foreigners to exploit and create an underclass that's always fighting each other instead of fighting the Jewish empire and just being good little goyim and buying shit and paying taxes.

I have no problem with orientals, that book I mentioned in my book even notes that oriental Japs and Chinks are the "ideal immigrant"

It depends on the size of the immigrant community. The Mexican enclaves in southern California have no reason to assimilate -- there are millions of them, and it is not necessary for them to speak English or adopt native customs.

foreignpolicy.com/2009/10/28/the-hispanic-challenge/

>Fucked a potato nigger.

No because it disenfranchises the homogeneous society already thriving. -given his premise.

>3rth or 4rth generation will completely assimilate and forget their ancestry/original country.
Well duh.
We're not the 3rd or 4th generation though, dumbass. We're the ones having to witness this bs.

Israel Zangwill is a fucking kike from britbongistan who didn't understand jack fucking shit about america. His ideas of what america was were no better than a caricature of reality, and he only pushed his multiethnic bullshit because he's a goddamn kike and kikes hate homogeneous societies. Makes it easier to "hide" when they're multiethnic

Yes he is correct

The process is not always smooth, but if it happens gradually and naturally it works

A teaser from the link:

> Contemporary Mexican and, more broadly, Latin American immigration is without precedent in U.S. history. The experience and lessons of past immigration have little relevance to understanding its dynamics and consequences. Mexican immigration differs from past immigration and most other contemporary immigration due to a combination of six factors: contiguity, scale, illegality, regional concentration, persistence, and historical presence.

Did he really?

>People never travel or live outside of their country.
Burger education. You probably don't even have blue eyes...

all you need to know is that a jew came up with it

Times have changed, Mexicans or other third world immigrants will never assimilate no matter how long they've been here. That's why most non-whites in America vote democrat, for more gibs.

If it's true why does chinatown exist in every major city in america?

Yeah, Cameron Diaz's character.

It only works when the immigrants resemble the host country in some way racially,culturally, or both. Case in point: European immigrants assimilate and mix in the population and Koreans in Japan have fullly assimilated. Only in the Japanese example, Koreans are still not considered Japanese though they don't even speak Korean.

Only in New York, Pennsylvania have always hated Chink scum.

Oh in the movie sure, I'm talking about real life

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Philadelphia

>americanized east Asians

Chinese here. Most Chinese I know vote Democrat and are pretty liberal, including the American born ones. Even Filipinos, who are the most Americanized of all Asians, vote left to get their gimmiedats, though religiously Catholic, just like Mexicans. Case in point: Hawaii.

deep down, we all know it's true

Probably not.

There is literally nothing wrong with skilled east Asians who speak English.

>He argued that it doesn't matter if foreigners enter another country and stay there because, in the long run, the 3rth or 4rth generation will completely assimilate and forget their ancestry/original country.

(1) He is literally being proven wrong by Muslims as we speak.

(2) There is little to no past empirical support for this being true on the scale in which this is being undertaken today.

(3) There is empirical support for the idea that some group NEVER fully assimilate. (Are black Americans "assimilated" into the white American group?)

(4) The idea of the melting pot and of one group assimilating into another one are potentially contradictory. If member of group A lose their identity by assimilating into group B, then surely the proper image is not that of a melting pot but is rather a wholesale destruction of group A's culture. A melting pot would imply the reciprocal destruction of BOTH culture in their original state. Hence it would not consist of "assimilation" into the a host group but rather of a merger of the two group to form a new culture, a new group C.

(5) "In the long run", we're all dead. Supposing that it does indeed take 2 to 3 generation in order to produce "assimilation", it also implies that 2 to 3 generation at the least will thus have to live, potentially, with disharmony and conflict, apparently for no other purpose than to please foreigners.

I hate your teacher already.

It was a melting pot of WHITE European immigrants.

As some people have already said, melting pot is different than multi-culti. A "melting pot" culture can work, and did work in the US, but only when the immigrant population comes in small enough numbers to prevent cultural enclaves from forming. The government also needs to play a role in promoting/forcing adaptation of host values. This can happen with most outside populations but it's obviously easier when the immigrants come from a culture and background similar to the host nation's

>Flithidephia

Kek, That shithole is not Pennsylvanian in the slightest. It's basically little Detroit at the most.

Assimilation only happens if
a) Immigration of some population to an area is kept at a reasonable level and
b) Immigrants are actively pressured to assimilate

The problem in Europe and the United States is that these conditions are no longer met. The rate of immigration from non-compatible (non-Western) countries which will naturally take longer to assimilate is too high, and we've actively stripped away most of the social incentives that encouraged immigrants and their family's to assimilate.

The influx of European immigrants in the 19th century, and the influx of Asian immigrants in the early 20th century led to the same kinds of ethnically homogeneous neighborhoods with the Irish, Italians, Germans, Chinese, Koreans, etc that you see forming today with Hispanics, Arabs, Africans, and Indians.

The difference is that the influx of immigrants from Europe and Asia eventually leveled out, and the immigrants that has already formed those homogeneous neighborhoods were actively pressured to spread out and assimilate.

Immigration rates from Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East aren't leveling off, they're being artificially driven up, and social pressures enticing immigrants to assimilate have been all-but abolished in the name of 'tolerance' and 'cultural sensitivity'. So instead of these ethnically homogeneous communities being forced to assimilate into the surrounding area they clash with the local population.

>turns America into a third world nation
You misspelled "richest and most powerful country in human history."

>Diversity is great! Let's stir everyone together into a homogeneous sludge so there's more diversity!

Well said

Yea William Poole was more principled.

(Btw, I think he might be related to MOOT, same surname and I think they look similar, see pic related)

We have denial, next'll be anger.

>>Diversity is great! Let's stir everyone together into a homogeneous sludge so there's no more diversity!

/this

No they don't forget about their origin.

How do I know?

I have to live with them.

I can tell you this much: Banks are into 2nd and 3d generation shit when it comes to giving out loans. Racial profiling is perfectly normal. The maths don't lie. So how come nobody ever sees it as racist when banks do it?

Because that would be anti Semitic to attack the bankers you filthy goyim

That's what it was supposed to be, I guess. But even the melting pot is now considered racist. Leftists now shill the "patchwork quilt," which proposes that America should have no culture whatsoever (even going so far as to pretend that someone who doesn't speak English is American). Instead, we should just pretend that being an international corporate charity keepd us Young and Vibrant (tm).

It turned out to be a good metaphor. Soon we'll be just like a hideous multicolored, rag quilt.

Behaviours are highly heritable.

You can take a black guy and raise him in Buckingham Palace, and he'll still be caught in a rape scandal.

3 or 4 generations of an envrionment will not change what is burned into a people's genome.

It's insanity to suggest otherwise.

>3rth or 4rth generation will completely assimilate and forget their ancestry/original country

not if we keep bringing them in, which we are

Lol, yeah all that international power was worth turning this place into a shithole.

The problem is their kids go to brainwashing centers and begin to think of themselves as Pee Oh Seas rather than Americans

This has been historically true in the US, but not in many other countries. Many studies have been done on it and the broad consensus is that birthright citizenship and a strong cultural emphasis on assimilation and non-ethnic based identity have made the melting pot effect happen.

In other/dissimilar countries, immigrants have a tendency to remain culturally and economically isolated, to form ethnic-only business and community organizations, and to identify as something other than their nationality.

Interestingly, the melting pot effect has largely not occurred in Puerto Rico or among African-Americans. The reason for the latter is obvious, for Puerto Ricans it appears to be a combination of geographical isolation, continuing bitter feelings over the annexation, and a lack of representation in Congress that have inhibited assimilation. Not all Puerto Ricans identify as non-American, of course.

It depends on their religion. That's why i don't understand what you have against all the mexicans since they are at least christian. The next generation will be as american as you are.
But muslims see themselves as muslims first and belonging to a country second. If the country isn't muslim itself they stay outsiders.
They only integrate if they study and earn lots of money but else they don't identify with the country even after several generations.
I know poles, russians, greeks, also asian people etc here in the second generation... They are all as german as me and see themselves as german.
But not the turks and arabs. They will speak with a stupid accent even if they are born here and overall seperate themselves from germans or even hate them. Everyone else get's assimilated pretty much.

>melting pot
Kek non whites weren't even allowed to become citizens until 1965

Tell him that the me.ting pot meme was made up by a British Jew playwrite.

Ask him if the theory is true then why do Jews still exist.

Your professor is about 50 years behind the curve. Most Western Nations (perhaps not the U.S. because of it's constitution) have abandoned the "melting pot" theory (which WAS popular up until the 90's) for "multi-culturalism". Many cultures sharing a geographic space and certain legal standards (in theory we all share the same legal standards, but Islamic migrants are very much putting that to the test).

Your professor might want to brush up on his reading or retire.

maybe I'll post a thread on this, but we're going to see another White Flight soon.

The coming urbanization (mega-regions being turned into megalopolises) is going to push whites out and into the more rural areas like Montana, Idaho, and Colorado.

With the advancements in technology this will see two parallel scifi subgenres sprout up in this nation.
>cyberpunk
>solarpunk

the heavily urban areas will attract all manner of minorities, while still including white populations as heterogeneous communities. This will be remarkably 'cyberpunk'.

the rural areas will be settled almost exclusively by whites, which with the advancements in technology, the white ingenuity in play, and white civilization being produced we'll see a "solarpunk" civilization grow there into a land of beauty, similar to the iconic suburbs but not so shitty. This will lead to a massive growth of white people in the population as it puts them together and creates good economic living conditions for them.

The suburbs, as they are now, will either be demolished and turned into parts of these 'megacities', or become slums.

Urban areas=cyberpunk
Suburban areas=slums
rural areas=cities & suburbs as we know them know, but with advanced technology creating a very nice, and expensive, place to live.

I'm open to disagreements with this, but to say that white people will be bred out is false (at least in America, Europe does not fit the above mentioned situation)

When I was in school they taught me that the melting pot theory was outdated and the new term was 'cultural mosiac', that everyone retains their original culture and together we make a beautiful new culture.
I knew that was total bullshit but I kept my mouth shut and aced the class

Ironically, I think he's over 50 years old.

Thanks for posting. I wish more people would pay attention to your response. I'm sure your countrymen aren't voting Democrat for the gibs, but a lot of Sup Forums folk forget that East Asians are leftist. Even based Dueterte is a lefty.

I just want to say thanks OP for bringing legitimate political discourse here, this is a goddamn unicorn and it's breathtaking

it's just a metaphor for miscegenation user

Muslims don't melt.

There he goes again

Jewish scam that killed great Germanic merchant republic

He's wrong. People only assimilate when coerced