Modern architecture is inherently globalist

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bHw4MMEnmpc?t=1015
thisistrouble.com/2016/06/04/how-to-screen-for-girls-who-are-okay-with-you-dating-other-girls/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Is it dare I humbly suggest /our architecturwlbureau/ ?

I agree, to a certain extent. We should have a revitalization in architecture, and tweak building codes to accommodate.

I work in a datacenter that I call "the tombstone" because that's exactly what this monstrosity looks like.

modern architecture is inherently cheap to build

I follow that page too OP. Some great content from it.

yes finally peple are realising.

modern architecture errodes individual european culture and history

which city scape would fill you with prde and which one makes you want to slit your wrists?

Agreed, Dublin is bad enough without the cheap, China-tier skyscraper sprawl but our media is trying to encourage it. Im sick of the constant betrayal in my country, Im sick of atheist lefties trying to erase Ireland as a Catholic country.

youtu.be/bHw4MMEnmpc?t=1015

If the link doesn't work, start it at 17:00.

>Sullivan's doctrine [form follows function] has been used to justify the greatest crime against beauty that the world has yet seen. And that is the crime of modern architecture.

one of these things does not belong. If the entire city were organic dildos it would be ok, but its not. Fucking someone left their pleasure rocket out.

>It's globalist
>It belongs nowhere

You could probably get the soulless retards who like both globalism and modernist architecture to upvote and agree with this.

It's the cosmopolitan melting pot trap. "Look at all this diversity". The same "diversity" that's making every fucking capital look and feel the same. A bunch of brown foreigners with their local cultures refusing to assimilate.

Remember that these people unironically make the "but what about the food" argument.

Modern architecture is a perfect reflection of modernity. It rejects tradition, culture and beauty and in doing so severs people's connection to their cities and homelands. All modern architecture is absolute cancer, and modernist architects should never, ever be forgiven for what they have done to the great cities of the West.

How is a building "inherently globalist"? What the fuck does this even mean? A fucking steel and concrete structure somehow has an intrinsicate quality called "globalist".
Where does it start? Is the cement mix bag globalist? Are steel rebars globalist? Is gravel and sand globalist too? Are glass panels globalist too? Why don't we go back further? Are steel plants globalist? Are iron mines globalist? Are quarries where the gravel comes from globalist too?

Fuck off.

>alien geometric form intersects with classical architecture

Yep. Just like how foreign cultures rule western lands

Nice Faberge Egg building

I could kinda tolerate all the other ones up until this. This is inexcusable

>mexican intellectual
Architecture is not the building itself

Giant table dance.

>tfw mexican architects only build different versions of pic
No matter the school, mexican architects are shit.

I think they were built that way in the 60's to survive nuclear blasts.

that first one looks brutalist as fuck

Building materials do not equal architecture. If you look at the Alhambra, Wat Rong Khun and the Hungarian Parliament, each are beautiful in their own right but in entirely different ways. They each convey the culture of the people who built them.

If, on the other hand, you were to look at a single modernist building in isolation, you could not possibly guess whether it was from Shanghai, Dubai, London or Frankfurt.

That is what 'inherently globalist' means you god damn fucking Mexican.

I couldn't agree more.

fuckin travesty. european cities look like theyre made out of lego these days

My God that is just horrific. Whoever was responsible for that should be hanged

It's the architecture you fucking Mexican intellectual. The style is completely anti-traditional, it is found all over the world yet reflects none of the customs, traditions, and aesthetics of any country, just like globalism and Judaism.

Incorrect. It is often more expensive to construct, and over time it is significantly more expensive as it is not built to last, and thus requires constant renovation, or demolition and replacement.

move over faggots, powerful Art Deco coming through

now you're talking TCO, but as you say yourself, it's not meant to last. furthermore, i specifically said "to build"

I see the Birmingham library is on there. Here's another bit of modernism blighting our city. Looks an awful lot like a giant eye watching you, right?

epitome for Americana

George Lucas called, He wants his sandcrawler back

Its also cheaper.

did they take the design for that building straight out of duke nukem, released back in 1996?

even the texture mapping appears dodgy.

thisistrouble.com/2016/06/04/how-to-screen-for-girls-who-are-okay-with-you-dating-other-girls/

this is true
nothing uglier than modern buildings, fucking tear them all down

No it isn't you cheap nigger

yes, because classical buildings looking similar in London, New York, Buenos Aires, Warsaw and Moscow are totally not globalist
same goes for Gothic and Gothic revival churches

Casa da música, Porto, dutch architect Rem Koolhaas.

please educate me how somehow individually sculpting gargoyles, statues, and various ornaments, placed on large rocks cut into uniform sizes and transported often 1,000+ miles is in any way CHEAPER than slapping together a bunch of metal and glass, then please do be my guest.

until then you're just going to have to accept you're flat out wrong.

Thats disneys castle mane.

Architecturally ambitious modernist buildings are ripe for cost overruns and expensive renovation early in the lifecycle.

Traditional design is ambitious not with fundamental load bearing and weathering structure but with the decoration of the facade.

Traditional design is not exclusive with modular and mass produced elements. Most iconic traditional architecture is iconic because it has been copy pasted over and over again.

i like it a lot. the worst thing is, some parts of london are realy nice. little hidden passageways that give you an idea of what london could have been. some of these older buildings are quite awe insiring and give the impression of being really big and tall. with its mix of victorian and pre victorian arechitecture it could have been a really pretty looking city.

obligatory

That's the problem. In some cities where all of the Skyline is post-modern, like Dubai, it's not too bad. But in traditional European cities with history and identity, post-modern architecture butchers it.

"durr hurr fuck architects"

its not that simple.

The hand of architects are tied to money, and the money is with investors, funds and companies.

The base issue is that capital always want to maximize returns and get as much usable space as possible. Hence, blocks.

The second problem is the lack of good tradesmen. I'm sure in Western Europe and elsewhere you have the same problem we do (or if you dont its because you drained away our people), that theres a griping shortage of good, well trained, experienced workers who can do more than just haul and pack stuff. Just think of stone-cutters and how many were 100 years ago. And theres even a shortage of the total simpleton manual workers now.

This kind of architecture just won't return en mass because greediness and lack of proper workforce.

Although with 3D printing we might again see an increase in exterior ornaments.

exactly

There is also a political purpose behind some of it, you can't deny that there is a will to break from the past and especially inherited culture
Some buildings are ugly on purpose

"Glass" buildings are extremely costly to build and even more costly to operate, energy use wise. Energy use problem can be somewhat fixed with modern super materials but this skyrockets building costs even more.

Excluding New York, what are examples of traditional looking skyscrapers? Skyscrapers are kinda needed with the size of business and the sheer volume of white-collar workers in this era. So how do we preserve traditional architecture in fucking yuge buildings?

this

American Radiator Building.
Hi res shots are fantastic, I'd upload one, but on mobile.

International style buildings have insane energy expenses. There was an energy audit in NYC and the Seagrams Building, the sine qua non of internationalist architecture, was the most energy inefficient building in the entire city.

Thankfully someone here understands how finance plays a role. Modern real estate is a commodity. (((Financiers))) want buildings that are, more or less, fungible so the loans and real estate can be sold on the secondary market or placed in a REIT. Cookie cutter styles are great for them because it simplifies the entire system and makes everything spreadsheet friendly.

In the United States, until a few years ago, it was impossible to get funding to build mixed use developments because bankers didn't know what to do with them. The solution was figuring out a standardized design form that could be sold on the secondary market. That's why American cities are getting taken over by boxy mixed use developments, pic related, that all look the same.

Thats just schizo fantasies, your random real estate investor isn't concerned about cultural impact.

The rise of modern and then postmodern architecture is inherently tied to modernity as a whole, art, thought, literature, philosophy, and of course society.

Its lengthy material to discuss but its really worth reading about currents in the 10s, 20s and 30s to understand it, but for now it suffises to say the rise of functional modernism was a reaction to the earlier, much more expressive styles, which are nonetheless still modern, such as art nouveau and art deco.

Hungarian architecture journals in the interwar for example repeatedly expressed desires to literally demolish entire ecclectic neighobrhoods in Budapest to build new, modern districts, spacious and functional.

2spooky

It really need to be stressed how perception of modernist buildings changed over time.

I already mentionned plans to rebuild Budapest during interwar, heres one example that almost came to fruition.

This district in this 1900 photo was known as the bohemian place, full of old houses, taverns, pubs, curvy streets, stairs everywhere, right beyond the Royal Palace.

It belongs in a garbage can yet it's all over the place instead shitting up the natural beauty obtained with tradition and local identity.

Just like globalism.

In the 30s, the entire locale was demolished to give place to a modern residential neighborhood.

While the war stopped the constructions, we do know what did they want to build here, and yes it was planned to be built in with blocklike houses, totally modern for the time, sanctioned by the regent himself, in ultraconservative 30s Hungary.

hadnt actually thought about this

We have one in Belgium too, Antwerp port house

This is not fantasies, some people openly admitted it most notably in the early post war era and of course in the soviet union.

More examples. Plans to rebuild the City hall and its neighborhood, 1939.

These are sketches of the proposed projects.The winner is the top 2 same plan actually), but all the rest got awards.

We are talking about today, not the USSR.

And no not even in the USSR were these buildings designed to be ugly.

need to include sq ft of usable space.

You're a fucking conspiracy nutcase

Muhamed relax

You're a fucking conspiracy nutcase apologist

>When, in march 1959, the council of buildings of France approved the design for the future Tour Montparnasse, their report concluded: "Paris cannot afford to lose herself in the past. In the years to come, Paris must undergo imposing metamorphoses"
>This break in the past was deliberate. The European style so much admired in other spheres of life was nowhere in evidence. Indeed it was consciously and carefully eschewed
Postwar, a history of Europe since 1945 by tony judt

Go take a look at Derrida, Foucault and Bourdieu also. Architecture is only one piece of a greater plan

Modernist architecture is disgusting.
Corrbu, Mies Wright are degenerate.
Burn it.

Le Corbusier was the most influential proponent of modern architecture. He saw the modern city, or the radiant city, as a "machine for living" and wanted to see the urban form radically change to reflect a new era in human society.

Arguably, you could say that this new style of urban design was meant to change society because it puts primacy on the automobile as how people navigate the world. Government also had an incentive to promote this type of development because it boosted certain types of economic activity. Because every adult needed a car that meant more manufacturing jobs for workers. Similarly, suburbanization decentralized the population and caused a massive building boom. In theory, decentralization would protect a country from bombing raids in war and also it created a lot of construction jobs.

Buildings are human creations, you fucking teenager.
Do you think they just appear out of nowhere without anybody going through any reflections or decisions based on anything?
Fuck, even if they just appeared out of thin air, they would still have styles with a host of properties.

Also, this fucking fallacy:
>if something has a property, at least one of its constituents must have that property
>if sharks can swim, at least one of the shark's parts must be able to swim

Snackbar yourself faggot

And you're a brainless herd animal

Architectural Engineer here. Texas isn't having too bad of problems anymore, minimal nigger tier buikdings from the 90s are being replaced by more interesting ornaments on new buildings. Still imperfect, but theres hope.

Are there actually those awesome curves on female bodies or is it a some kind of Jewish trick?

Live in a box, shop in a box, die in a box. Robots, that’s what they want. Not people. Robots that consume. Straight lines – sharp angles – square boxes. No wonder the city’s gone mad.

At least our cities were bombed to ruble by the Anglo. What's your excuse?

the last decent form of architecture

A modern building by it self I can deal with but this makes me REEEE