Seriously its fucking 2017, why isnt everyone in north america getting at least $15/hr?

Seriously its fucking 2017, why isnt everyone in north america getting at least $15/hr?
hell, that'd even be almost 20$/h in maplebucks

seriously we're all human beings, give me three good reasons we don't deserve to at least get this much

>be me
>27
>graduated master's in sociology, specialization in man/pet relations for PTSD
>work 2 jobs
>can't afford rent in montreal so i have to live with my wife, her ex and another friend and share one fucking bathroom, curry night is pain
>university won't hire me to give classes

Its bullshit.

because that's not how the market works you dipshit

you're basically saying that work is never worth less than $15 an hour

you also raise prices to keep up with the cost of paying people their wages

fucking prove it. the aussies get paid like 17$/h to shitpost in whatever abject currency they use there

seattle did it

pretty sure some cucked country in europe did it too

literally possible using our current market, so why dont we

if you seriously think a 15 an hour minimum wage is a good idea you need to take an economics class.

you realize that a $15 an hour doesnt help? right? it would make companies lay off workers and it would increase pricing on everything as the cost of labor is up.

I would suggest that you move to the glorius nation of the United States of America but we have too many idiot liberals like you.

Raising the minimum wage is great in cities where there are high concentrations of high earners driving up prices for people at the bottom.

but an across the board increase will just leave the middle states and small towns devastated. It's best to settle these things on a case by case basis.

Living in seattle as a non-minimum wage worker has been pretty great seeing some friends able to afford apartments, while nothing much has changed for me. So Seattle definitely did the right thing for its case IMO.

>what is rising cost per unit (wage)
>what is needing to compensate with more profits
>what is charging more to get more profits

>Liberal
>Psych major
>Living with his wife's ex
>Leaf

>why isnt everyone in north america getting at least $15/hr?
because it's a chink junk yard

Why not $75.00/hour then wed eleminate poverty!
You idiot

>live in seattle
>make 30 an hour
>now that everyone makes 15, the cost of living is just going to go even higher than it already is

wew lad

Inflation.

By raising wages you're not increasing production, but you'll cause people to consume more. Thus, everything in the market will become more expensive, and their prices will increase.

bait your hook you stupid leaf.

> why isnt everyone in north america getting at least $15/hr?

because not everyone is capable of producing $15 of value in one hour

Living in Seattle, that is not what I've seen. Prices haven't been higher than normal, and all the minimum wage workers I know at my Local Nerd Store and coffee shop seem pretty happy.

Small business would go down, big business would move in. Libshits should be trying to stop this, not support it. But like shills if they can line their own pockets they will sell themselves up the fucking river.

Why does the government have the right to tell me what wage I can accept? What if I'm willing to work 10$? Why shouldn't my employer accept my lower offer?

Commies need to think about what they're doing.

Why wouldn't prices go up following this minimum wage hike? Where i work prices go up every year because of minimum wage increasing. you are not meant to live on minimum wage. also why would you major in sociology?

>27
>just graduated college
>sociology
>wants to teach
>major in some meme "let me get you a pet dog, soldier" field
I hate to say it Pierre, you're always gonna be worth less than minimum wage

What is inflation, what is real income, increasing minimum wage does nothing.

let me guess
you also want to import a bunch of immigrants too right?

If you want higher wages then get rid of minimum wage. flipping burgers isn't worth 15 an hour.

>Minimum wage working
>Happy

That's not normal. You're supposed to want to strive for more.

THE LEAF STRIKES AGAIN

If you're not just shitposting for fun see , except remove the world "basically"

There should be no minimum wage period, as all minimum wage accomplishes is removing all jobs under that amount from the market, not raising wages.

big words from the land down under

ever got that emu problem solved?

bet you guys pay someone 17$/h to hunt them dont you

doesnt this drive their cost and their worth up? maybe eventually you can sell them and be a real country

They're not even communists, they're nothing more than petite bourgeois mixed in with the various unemployable parasite class of the poor.

The problem with Seattle is that they're flying in thousands of overpaid workers for Amazon as it was, so inflation was already destroying our minimum wage workers ability to afford housing inside the city, even if they had multiple roommates.

The increase to $15 is not going to increase inflation beyond what the supplanted 200K+ crowd already was.

Seattle made the right call.

Give it like 6 months tops and all those happy minimum wage workers will be living on the streets because that economy is going to collapse and none of them will have jobs

so where does your wifes son stay then?

>>Hur I think the effects of minimum wage would be noticed and felt within a year of implementation
>>Hey guys look at how great venezuela is doing haha fascists btfo
>>oh woops now it's collapsing we'll just forget that we were wrong
>>Hey guys let's allow the government to control more of the means of production
>>I don't need to take an economics class, I'm a sociologist lol

fucking disgusting leftist cucks. do you just not care about the truth? do you enjoy being told what the truth is so you don't have to think about it? for fucks sake

>masters degree
>chooses to work a high school teenager's job

I guess college doesn't make everyone smart...

>"Masters in Sociology"
>No sympathy from me

go back to school or learn a trade that's worth more money. problem solved.

When is the Left going to learn that you cannot legislate people out of poverty?

> liberals use their time and daddy money to go to college
> get a degree in gender studies
> leaves college, ends up working at McDonalds
> cries that he/she doesnt make 15 an hour.

If these lazy fucks want 15 an hour. WORK FOR IT. Gain an actual skill, and you will receive more money. stupid niggers wanting even more of a handout.

you live with your wifes ex and majored in sociology

cuck
u
c
k

HAHAHA, okay supply-side jesus. Let me know how that's worked out for literally everyone in the past.

Gods and Claudes applies. There will never be enough upward mobility available for everyone to strive for something better. There will always be people who simply have to resign themselves to being a burger flipper or a delivery boy.

You might as well find happiness in poverty.

get a good job you fucktard. stop being poor.

>we're human beings
>we deserve
You are worth nothing and deserve nothing if your skills are limited to flipping burgers.

> Minimum wage rises
> Companies raise the cost of their goods to keep the same profit margin

Germans;
More efficient, work less and have better Standard of living and far less debt.
>US BTFO.

>NFL Playoffs
>Only 12 of 32 teams qualify
>lol not everyone can qualify so why even try

Wew

>libshits don't realize jobs are a market like everything else, and are subject to the effects of supply and demand
if there were a higher demand for your labor, they'd pay you more. when there's less, you get paid less. my god, it's high school level economics.

This. Those workers are going to be forced to remain unemployed because they are not able to compete. Also, there is a reason why big companies support minimum wage legislation, and it's because those companies can afford the hike, but small entrepreneurs can't. It's a means to stifle competition from smaller firms.

As for Seattle, where i live, this city is expensive AS FUCK to live in. Sure, unemployment is relatively low in the city limits where rent can be as high as $2.50/sqft, but unemployment has gone up in the surrounding areas where rent is somewhat more affordable.

Bring manufacturing back and there will be.
Those jobs that pay minimum wage are not worth more than minimum wage. Unless you want to pay more for fast food and have fewer hours.
You'll still end up with the same weekly amount and there will be fewer jobs to go around.

>tfw i make $15/hour through hard work and hit 20 hours of overtime every week.

then what do you guys think about basic income? or is this also going to burn the economy and crash this whole country with no survivor?

i'm no economist, i agree. but I think its time we stop listening to the economists, look at the regular fucking messes and economic crises they drive us in.

maybe its time for empathy and caring to drive this country. i know how it sounds but let off the typical Sup Forumsnazism for a while and think about it. wouldn't you rather have a govt that cares?

>three good reasons
Because the least employable people will get no work whatsoever. Why should I hire an oppressed minority (nigger) for $15 when I can hire a pleasant white kid with a worthless liberal arts degree for the same money?

A $15 an hour wage will cost an employer around $25 after pay for Obamacare, social security, unemployment insurance, and other such nonsense. Thus, the $15 employee costs the company $50k per year. So, employers will be looking for every possible way to not hire new employees, doubling up the workload on existing employees, and replacing people with machines that don't need a break, get sick, get pregnant, file EO lawsuits.

A great number or employees are simply not worth $15 per hour.

I like the idea of a negative income tax, under 1 condition: Being a replacement for, not an addition to, the entire welfare system.

>>I don't need to take an economics class, I'm a sociologist lol

Those are some weird assumptions. I'm an Electronics technician and I got a two year degree debt free. and I took enough economics to know that one economics class isn't enough to predict the effects of a wage increase in a localized area where inflation was already ravaging the minimum wage workers as a result of the average income being raised from external high earning workers being flown in instead of being hired from below.

It's really a lot more complex than anyone on Sup Forums is going to be able to explain, and even if your ARE right about the result, it's unlikely you'd be right for the reasons you're peddling here.

Sounds like something that will create an aimless and depressed society even worse than what we already have.
People need direction and something to strive for or we lose all sense of humanity.
I know from experience.

Maybe you should quit whining about "fairness" and start your own damn business. What the fuck is wrong with you, you selfish bastard? What do you have against the working man? Why are you not hiring employees and paying them a living wage?

I too wish to price poor people out of employment.

Say you own a fast food restaurant where employees make $10 per hour. Say each of these employees generate about $11-$12 of value per hour (since that's why you hire people in the first place). Let's say this yields a 2-3% profit margin (which is pretty common in the food industry). Now say the government comes in and tells you to pay those lazy fucks $15. Well just because you give them more money doesn't mean that they'll become worth $16-$17 in value to you. They're still worth $11-$12. So now you have two options. You can fire half of these fucks and force the remaining employees to work harder or you can raise your food prices and pass that increased cost off onto your consumers. So you go with option B. Now everyone who eats your shit is pissed that your prices went up and you start to lose business. The people who do decide to continue eating there pay more and bite the bullet. Pretty soon, since everyone is making more money in the area, rent prices start to increase now that people can afford to pay more. All businesses are charging more because their labor costs were forcibly inflated. Now suddenly the increasing buying power that these minimum wage workers had is gone because everything they'd buy is now more expensive. In the end, this fast food restaurant would fucking fire all of these assholes and replace them with iPads anyway.

In summary, you can give people more money, and thus more buying power but by doing so, you guarantee that every business will have to either lay off a ton of people or charge more money and if every business charges more, then the raise these minimum wage workers got doesn't mean shit. Also you're fucking literally everyone else over who was making over $15/hour and now has to pay more for everything also.

That is a legitimate thing though... Why risk your players bodies if you're already not even eligible for a wild card.

Also, the job market is has a whole lot more in common with the regular season than the playoffs. Making it to the playoffs implies you actually have a shot. Not to mention FAILURES ARE FUCKING ELIMINATED IN THE PLAYOFFS YOU DUMBSHIT.

They were probably making like $14.50 an hour prior to the raise. A high cost of living keeps the poors out. They still probably live like peasants and are going to rationalize accomplishing nothing in their 20's by all the 'sweet experiences' they had.

>specialization in man/pet relations

Maybe if you'd specialized in something better than dog-fucking you'd be making more, OP

Literally just quit my $15/hr job in Seattle this week, have like 4 months of savings to fall back on.

Have 2 degrees, 1 STEM from UW, 1 Business from a CC.

Planning to spend a few months getting better at programming. I have a strong handle on Java, CSS, HTML, R; but not good enough to pass a technical interview unless it's fuck easy.

Any suggestions on what to do lads? Like, projects, language to focus on, specific skills/libraries?

Tired of being poor and not living up to my potential.

Your university thinks you are worthless, because you purchased a worthless degree.

Life is going to be tough for you I guess. It's understandable you want others to pay more money for you.

The only thing I wish these assholes claiming they deserve 15 and hour is a quick fucking death. Robots can't come fast enough.

Because then my pay should go from 78k/yr to 148k/yr..... But it won't. So it devalues money, people, work, skills etc etc etc.

2 good points there. The second point is the most complicated, but it's true. The minimum wage discriminates horribly against people who have little to no experience or skills. Upper class white kids have a huge advantage over blacks who probably grew up in shit neighborhoods with shit schooling. And yes, $15/hr does not mean $15/hr. The real cost is much higher for the reasons you mentioned and the massively increased risk of hiring inexperienced employees. The flip side of the example is that employers hire more employees, but severely limit hours so that a $15/hr wage effectively becomes a $7.50/hr wage by keeping the employee hours limited to 20 hours/week.

No dumbass. Do you have any idea how many jobs this would cost? These cunts can't afford that, flipping burgers shouldn't be your fucking career. Jesus Christ.

You're shitting all over the economy, fucking stop.

Construction?

not sure if you noticed but pizza companies are going full robot, that way they don't have to pay retards 15$ an hour.

Eventually low earning jobs will not be "a direction" you can go towards. Automation will eventually fill those jobs, and if capitalism is successful, eventually they'll start replacing higher and higher earners with robots.

What do you do when unemployment is the norm and finding a job is no longer an option because the only jobs left require so much education that no one who didn't already have money could possibly afford it?

Because povfags like you with less redeemable skills than a dumb dog aren't worth $8/hr.

>middle of nowhere
>houses cost fraction of price in dense population centers like seattle, nyc, la
>sorry sonny, but I can't afford to pay you 15usd/hour. i'm gonna have to let you go.
also what's with the commie fist?

I can agree with a $15 minimum wage, but only if you agree to severely restrict immigration of unskilled/illiterate people and don't autistically screech about deportations. After all, we won't need millions of poor brown people to do shit tier low paying jobs if they are no longer low paying and that's one way you libfags justify it.

Yes, but it's not a good point. It is a fact of economics. In other words, this is not some "idea" but a well founded principle taught in any Econ 101 course.

A job itself is direction.
Do you not fucking work?
Automation will be the death of mankind.
The psyche cannot handle that because it will create endless laziness.

When you come up with an idea you need to take human nature into account. You don't ever really shape humans into what you want them to be. Our world has to be shaped around us.

>accomplishing nothing in their 20's

That's a matter of perspective. If sweet experiences are what matter to you, then more power to you. Not everyone needs to define themselves by their job or their contribution to the economy.

Financial gain isn't all there is to life. The sooner Americans realize that the closer we get to star trek.

I hear a gallon of milk costs 5 bucks in Seattle now.

Minimum wage $8 here. Gallon of milk $2.

fuck raising minimum wage.

thats how you cause inflation and devaluation of money.

ignorant child

leaf/10 shit-posting std

nope, was something like 9.50.

Still, not as big of a jump as some of the states making ~$6/h believe it to be. So on some level I agree with you. It wasn't that big of a deal.

Learn iOS development. Take the iOS courses on Lynda.com. That's what I did. Dropped out of college 1 year in because I realized what a scam it was. I got an internship for iOS development first. Paid about $15/hour and I got to learn and make mistakes on their dime. After 6 months I applied at a startup and was immediately hired (since iOS developers are scarce) for $70k. Still working at that startup today (2 years later) and making $102k. I get offers for interviews literally every week and recruiters seriously beg me to speak with them. Mobile development is easier than most platforms IMO and you can charge more. It's seriously borderline sickening to me that I was told by everyone in my life that I needed to go to college to do this. I'm fucking pissed that I even have $10k in student loans for that 1 year where i learned literally nothing useful.

Seriously, learn iOS development. You won't regret it and it's not that hard once you understand MVC.

Why do you deserve 15$ an hour for getting my order wrong? I asked for cheese only, and you can't even get that right.

I do work, I'm an electronics technician. And I'm not saying I don't agree with you. I'm saying that's the eventual reality we're going to be living with and we should be planning for a major restructuring of society in the near future.

Leave Seattle. What, do you think Microsoft is going to hire you? They are hiring mostly H1B who are willing to work twice as hard, twice as long, for half as much.

I get what you are saying in that it shold be obvious to anyone who has taken a basic econ course, but economics is the thing most people have the most opinion on yet know the least about. The obvious isn't always obvious, and some things that seems to be obviously true are un-obviously false, like causing inflation for example.

t. Econ grad

It's cost 5 dollars for a lot longer than 15/h has been in effect.

Like I said, lots of high earners are being brought in and causing inflation regardless of what the min wage was. (it was 9.50ish I think)

So yeah, it was 5 dollars back when the min wage was 9.50.

Seattle made the right call.

Except illegal immigrants will or get paid fifteen bucks an hour.

>business has 10 employees at minimum wage
>minimum wage goes up $5 and hour
>business fires 7 employees and has 3 doing the work of 10
>employees are stressed and feel underpaid for the extra workload they now must handle and look for other work
>nobody's hiring because businesses cannot afford to hire them
>those other 7 are now on welfare and for those who are earning 15/h, taxes go up and eat up the wage increase

I agree that we shouldn't just take economists' word as gospel as they're often academics in ivory towers who have been complicit with the corruption in today's society

But listening to the "regular fucking masses" on shit like basic income and minimum wage is even more dumb because guess what, the semi-literate mob will /ALWAYS/ vote itself more money

No. They won't.

I'm no economist but I do have common sense..If people make more they will spend more. The extra min wage will be going right back into companies..it won't break the economy

Honestly yeah lol, or Amazon, or one of the many start-ups and smaller size tech companies. Programming isn't hard and I have two degrees + some experience writing software, it just wasn't commercial stuff.

Also have friends at MS and AMZ who have said they'd give me internal referrals.

I just don't think I'm at the level of knowledge I need to be for a rigorous interview.

>masters in (((sociology)))
>thinks he is worth $15 an hour

Am I being memed right now? If this is bait it's pretty damn subtle.

It can't work.
It will be implemented and society will collapse.

Wtf you live with your wife's ex? That would make me insanely depressed. This is a troll right?

feel free to raise it to 15 an hour and watch as the jews print more money to make it fucking meaningless as inflation rapes it to shit.

>maybe its time for empathy and caring to drive this country
I'd rather have reality drive this country. You can't "feel" money and wealth into existence.

Op your too stupid to understand Economics.

Its not actually a good thing to raise minimum wage. Because that means you get closer to Poverty.

The better option is to add Value to our money. But because your ignorant you dont know what that means. And because you dont know what it means you wont understand why its better to not raise the wage.

Not to mention the prices of everything those people buy go up. Now their wage increase is completely eaten up by increased taxes and higher prices. In the end, they have the same buying power if not less and they've managed to fuck over everyone making more than them who now has to pay higher prices, higher taxes and without any increase in their wages. It fucks the entire economy. Anyone supporting this is an enemy in my mind.

Why not the other 6 billion people too? "They're human beings" as well.

There's not enough money in the economy for either.

>I'm at risk to lose my job to someone who is uneducated, homeless, and doesn't speak English

Sorry. This problem doesn't magically go away.

Get ready for it then, cause that's what's happening.

seattle is inching its way up to $15, its not there yet hmong

right wingers have been shilled into defending their marketeering overlords

This

Robots will be stripped of parts at some point.
Everyone will start acting like niggers.
It'll revert.
Just gotta wait it out.

Of course you can raise the minimum wage to $15, $20, $25/hr, or what ever. The real minimum wage will always be $0.00/hr.