How does Sup Forums feel about depression?

How does Sup Forums feel about depression?

Looks like every leftists ever suffers from it and wears it as a badge of honor, while the right demonizes at weakness. How do we find the right way to look and handle it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FcZCZkekxxg
youtube.com/watch?v=X1EL-1e5YnM
youtube.com/watch?v=wDacOjZbbVw
lareviewofbooks.org/article/american-psychosis-trumpism-and-the-nightmare-of-history
youtube.com/watch?v=NmmaU5pL81g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's shameful, I don't tell anyone but I think about killing myself daily.

>How do we find the right way to look and handle it?
no idea m8

It's a fake fucking disorder. I hate life sometimes, think about killing myself and I get really angry

But guess what? That's life, that's emotion. I get over it I don't give myself some gay label with some fake fucking disorder associated with it. It isn't real you just need to forget about the problems you were stressing over

Except scientists have looked at depressed people's brains and found that they operate differently.

You're part of the problem.

Nah you're just a pussy

It's fine to be "depressed" depending on what is causing your mental state. For some, thinking happy thoughts can be almost impossible. But everyone can choose not to go around flaunting their own depression. The words "I'm depressed" makes me want to kill you for you.

Ya'll just need some vitamin D supplements and regular exercise. Fixes 90% of depression.

I take solace in the fact that faggots like you will burn in hell.

I take solace in the fact that you're a fucking pathetic loser that can't handle his gentle emotions. Faggot

I haven't had any emotions for years now, though.

Kek what? Ok

I was recently diagnosed with it. It's generally not well understood, even among people who say they have it.

Broadly there's three types of depression:
1) fake depression. This is where your dog died and you're really sad. You say you're depressed because depression = muh sadness, but you don't 'have depression'.

Real clinical depression is different to sadness, includes symptoms like insomnia, fatigue, thinking/concentration problems, etc, for at least two weeks.

2) neurotic/reactive depression. This is like having anger management issues except with sadness. Your dog died, you're so sad that you quit your job and stay home drinking, lose sleep. etc. You need to toughen up and get over it, you should go to a therapist to learn how. Medication is about as effective as placebo. About 90% of clinical depression is this type.

3) biological/endogenous depression. This is more a biological problem like diabetes, but with cognitive symptoms. Nothing happened but you're sad, you quit your job and stay home drinking, losing sleep, etc. anyway. Medication is effective, therapy usually isn't. About 10% of clinical depression is this type.

>>How do we find the right way to look and handle it?

Know there are different types that need different treatments.

Type 2 here, been there for bout 10 years. Medication didn't help at all, therapy not much either. Just filled out a questionnaire for the job center, probably I'll get it acknowledged as a disability and they leave me rip.

>How does Sup Forums feel about depression?
As a psych. I'm biased. It's a serious mental illness that requires time, therapy and sometimes psychotropics to overcome.

However in recent years it has become one of the most overblown mental illnesses ever. Every kid with a computer and some angst thinks they have depression. It's very annoying when they try to come into my office to tell me what they have when I know that they don't after the first hour.
>How do we find the right way to look and handle it?
If someone has a diagnosis and takes legitimate medication for their illness you should treat it like you would any other illness. Don't feel sorry for them but at least acknowledge it for what it is. Show them support in their endeavor they might be going through a lot. That's not to say you should patronize them and make it out to be a big deal. They'll get over it but being demonized for it isn't going to help. That's the exact reason they're depressed in the first place and you're only contributing to it.

People who aren't on medication and don't have a formal diagnosis should be slapped by every person they tell it to. It's disgraceful and belittles people who have serious problems. People who are required to be removed from society and live alone on $800/month.

Leftists are as of lately counterproductive to the very field of psychology they claim to support by belittling the plights of the mentally ill and marginalizing people with serious mental illness.

Little bitch

I thought it was a meme until I couldn't even watch TV and slept 14h/day. Waking up felt like entering a nightmare. Had to go to the hospital and take medications. Weightlifting helped a lot. Now I'm fine but feel damaged.
It's something that's hard to understand if you never had it.

Is dysthymia difficult to treat? Has any of your patients managed to deal with it?

I have it, ask away

It's got to the point where I'm surprised there aren't any conspiracy theories about it. As has been mentioned, there are people who just casually talk about having it like a common cold who in reality, probably don't have it. Then there's people who try to keep it to themselves and I'm pretty surprised to hear they have it when it eventually comes out. Maybe there's something in the water. Maybe it's a generational thing. Either way, it's definitely an illness and if you have never had it, good for you, really.

>dysthymia
>using ultra technical terms
You could've just said Persistent Depressive Disorder you mong. Made me open my DSM.
>difficult to treat
It's only difficult if the patient makes it difficult. Many depressive types are self deprecating with low self esteem. It's a long road to getting through it.
>managed to deal with it
All the time once they accept treatment. Once they take it seriously like an illness they may have the rest of their life the more progress they make.
I can say that at least 89% of my clients with PDD find life a lot easier after coming into my office. The rest are people who don't want help just validation.

Depression is a symptom, not a disease. We will look back at our current methods of dosing people up with all sorts of psychoactive medication like we do bloodletting and lobotomies.

why are you depressed

Gimme source on that.

never looked at it that way man

I don't know where depression comes from, but it ruined my life.

Got diagnosed clinically with GAD and major depression a few years back.

>used to be straight A student
>creative and happy and motivated
>junior year HS hits
>start mentally changing for no reason
>lose motivation to do anything
>lose interest in everything i used to love
>lose interest in women
>start doing drugs to numb the pain
>makes it worse
>drop out of school twice
>22 still live with parents

Tried antidepressants, never helped me too much but i'm so desperate i'm considering trying them again. I find exercise and diet is the most important thing.

The worst thing about depression is that it kills all your hope, so you don't even really want to find help because you assume you'll just never get better.

Im scared brehs. I don't want to live my whole life this way. I miss when I could play vidya and pay attention for longer than 5 minutes and have fun.

Have you ever tried mushrooms? That helped me a lot where pills never did and just killed my sex drive.

Mentaldisorderfag here.

Been diagnosed with panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and mild depression. Been to psychiatrists and psychologists many times and they prescribed me SSRI which I took for 1.5 years before I dropped it.

Ironically, what cured me was Sup Forums (changing from left-wing political views to right-wing political views) and getting redpilled on jews and kikes. Now I have something other than myself to focus about, and it's been a very liberating feeling to learn the final truths about human nature.

Lefties actually do not like depression either, it's just that when you are a leftie, you are deluded and blinded, but at the same time they feel trapped by the peer pressures of society which expect left wing views. Being afraid of losing their virtue-signalling capabilities and social acceptance, they have chosen to remain deluded for the sake of social acceptance. Depression is inherent in everybody blinded to the real world, real truths, factual information about human nature (such as that men and women are not equal, races are not equal etc.)

Not saying I don't feel sad, overwhelmed, angry or anxious from time to time, I just don't revolve my identity around these feelings anymore, but call those emotions just temporary setbacks.

youtube.com/watch?v=FcZCZkekxxg

no, but i tried acid. felt pretty cool the first couple times but I had a really bad trip once and I haven't done it since. I paid attention to set and setting and all that but i think i'm just too anxious to fuck with psychs. That experience made me feel messed up for a week and i dont ever want to feel that again.

I guess in hindsight there was a chance it was some shitty research chemical.

Try a radical change in your life. Move away, even if it means thousands of miles away. Try to get a job where you build things, where you can see a concrete result of your hard work, something that will stay.

That will improve yourself. After you will be able to get your life back on useful tracks and deal with important stuff (better job/education, house, family and so on).

If you change nothing, you will keep on drowning.

Anyone who claims it's anything other than a short term feeling of intense sadness is full of shit. The cure for it is to man the fuck up

Like I need to do already.

Depression is seen as a weakness when it's the only thing you have to be proud about. Why be proud of a mental illness?

Extreme emotions are not depression.

what's the difference between depression and personality disorders

thank you user. i screencapped your post and i will contemplate your advice.

No real precipitated event. I just lost interest in life over time.

No motivation to do basic things like maintain personal hygiene or cook healthy food or do anything besides passively take in entertainment.

Went to therapy but it was fruitless; what did help was getting on SSRIs. They restored a sense of feeling to my life. They don't make you feel happy. they make it so that you get joy/meaning out of things you do in your life.

When I was in the full swing of depression, I would carry around a 3 week beard with a 4 month old mop on my head and use a hair trimmer to occasionally cut it off, unevenly. Now I love shaving and got into wet shaving with a safety razor and get regular haircuts.

I used to just hit up popeyes and buy a family meal twice a week and keep it in the fridge and now I'm cooking with rouxs and mirepoix. I'll invite my family over for dinner and make them something nice. I have a set of vitamins I take every morning with my omelette over rye.

I'll hit the gym a couple times per week to get in better shape.

I started dressing a lot better - no more hoodies and sweat pants. I wear slacks and a button-down collared shirt with leather shoes, sometimes with a blazer (smart style). I threw out all my old underwear with holes and shit & cum stains all over them.

Then I got off them (of my own volition) and reverted about halfway back to peak depression before getting back on them.

There's just something wrong with my brain where it doesn't produce enough joy-inducing sensations for me to live a fruitful life normally.

>22
Nigger you still have time. I was a neet from 18-22 living with my parents. At 22 I got a job flipping burgers and went to community college and eventually got a EE degree and make a 6 digit salary (I'm 32 now.)
Depression is hard but there's still time if you manage to beat it.

All psychological disorders are, in the end, neurological and/or neurochemical. Period. There is a specific cause for it, but our understanding of neurology is too lacking to be able to correctly diagnose the exact cause of symptoms from one person to another. We just make chemicals of various shapes and compositions, throw them at the dart board and see what sticks. If it seems to lessen symptoms for a statistically significant enough group of people, even if it's acting on completely separate parts of the brain, then they just push it onto as many people as possible to recoup their costs and make a profit on it.

Doctors, especially psychiatrists, are little more than drug pushers. They are paid by pharmaceutical companies to prescribe their medications. If that doesn't sound like a conflict of interest to you, then maybe you should have your head looked at. :^)

what meds are you on user?

do different ssri brands really make a difference or are they all the same and jews are just trying to swindle me for a fancy name on the box?

Depression is a woman's disorder

Men are 3 times more likely to kill themselves in the US than women.

I'm on Cipralex, which is a newer one & more expensive (In Canada it's $1.50/pill, probably more in the US).

Its no joke, you just feel better.

thank you user i will ask my doctor about this
This post gave me hope. thank you.

Cry a lot
Get forced by life to become stronger
Realise i want to live more than die
Win
Cry every now and then but still winning

And dont ever tell anyone or they will think you are a joke

"You have depression? Just stop being sad, works for me."

I suffer with pretty bad anxiety. I'm on antidepressants which seem to help a little bit. I just hate how people just use this stuff for attention. I rarely talk about it unless I'm having a particularly stressful day. It's frustrating, because I want to feel carefree just doing simple things but my brain instantly goes into panic mode and it puts me off.

This, wow. Most based leaf I've ever seen here.

Edgy

Non-exercising vitamin D non-swallower detected

You can't describe or understand a feeling you've never felt.

Holy shit, you too?! Awesome! Good to hear it bro, redpill will keep getting better and better.

8th time someone said that in the last 24 hours. I must be doing something right, I guess.

Women and faggots then, christ.

Hitler should've won the war tb q h

>Only Lesbians
>I'd rather have two mothers than grow up in a foster home
You are fucking deluded then m8, two wrongs (female single mother x 2 ) does not make a right

>I can't do [thing] right now. Migraine.
>Migraine? Pfffft. It's just a headache!

Just buy super male vitality and brainforce

Really relate to this. Went to a bluepilled psychiatrist to cope with a bad breakup. Realized that all he could do was quite socially acceptable platitudes at me. Now I know why things are the way they are. Some of those truths are sad, but they give you a strategy for finding happiness.

Interesting that a psych wouldnt immediately know what dysthymia is

I'm doing alot better in the last few years. At the lowest points it really effected me at night, trying to go to sleep. All I wanted was a hammer to come crashing down into my skull. That's exactly how it feels, this numb wanting inside your brain.

Took meds, which did seem to help but the feelings would come back later regardless, so I stopped taking them all together. I think I was more angry that I was giving money to the medical jew.

Shit days still come and go, like not wanting to go to work but that's just me being lazy. I go to work and the day gets better.

Attempted suicide several times, would think about it everyday. Still do sometimes when it's rough but to quote Jill on Resident Evil III;

>I'm still alive.

>american psychologists
>american psychiatry

who (((owns))) your psych med companies
who (((regulates))) the way psychiatry works
which kind of (((theories))) prevail in their profession? I assume more Sigmund (((Freud))) followers amon psychology graduates than C.G. Jung - which oughta reflect in psychiatry too

>It's only difficult if the patient makes it difficult.

All that psych degree just to go "Jus b Urself"; I've spoken to some people IRL with diagnosed depression finding the overly "bureaucratic" ways of the psych wards unsettling in itself (ie focusing on medication and $ only while belittling other things the patient brings up in conversation)

People who talk about it openly and wear it as some badge are not depressed. they are just hungry for attention.

t. depressed dude who has been depressed since about 16 years of age and is now 29. never been to a doctor or talked to someone about it.

you are ignorant.

>You can't describe or understand a feeling you've never felt.
Depression is not a "feeling", which is why we treat it as a disease/disorder to be overcome in the first place

oy gevalt, the goyim NEEDS dem supplements to function normally (

youtube.com/watch?v=X1EL-1e5YnM

youtube.com/watch?v=wDacOjZbbVw

context to above videos, see thinkers such as --> lareviewofbooks.org/article/american-psychosis-trumpism-and-the-nightmare-of-history

>Dr. Allen Frances, the author of the DSM-IV criteria for this disorder recently remarked: ... whether it is anti-Semitism, Negrophobia, or Islamophobia...
>this disorder recently remarked: ... whether it is anti-Semitism, Negrophobia, or
>disorder.... anti-Semitism, Negrophobia

(but only for HuWhite Peoples in the world)

Sure thing brah, good luck to you too!

That's the thing, I really don't know why but most of the stuff psychologists really do is to get you to think about yourself even more, to become more self-conscious with these "...and how does it make you feel?" questions, while for most people, to get out of depression you just need to learn that shit sometimes happens, it's not your fault, that some women are just natural-born whores and some men are greedy douchebags, and to navigate in such a world, you just need to raise above the pettiness and pursue your own goals and Make Yourself Great Again, so to speak. To achieve that, you don't need to introspect more, like those psychologists love to say, but you need to start doing more and think less.

This also helped me. I've spent more time overseas as an adult then in Australia. I loved the States.

from the article above

>These utterances are classic instances of what Freud called “disavowal,” the transparent denial of what is obvious to the analyst. The most notorious version of this is the denial that one is a racist, whether it is anti-Semitism, Negrophobia, or Islamophobia. As Jean-Paul Sartre noted long ago in Anti-Semite and Jew, one always hears the same formulation: “I have nothing against the Jews, but there is just something about them.” This is often followed by “Some of my best friends are Jews, but just the same …” Trump’s great gift as a demagogue is the ability to

DING DING DING, jewish psychologist (((Freud))) again

C.G. Jung explicitly remarked on the risks of his own jewish upbringing affecting his psychological generalizing (about Parent-Child relationships, him overly focusing on trauma from the earliest stages of childhood, etc) in his theories (and got called an anti-semite for suggesting it)

I bet it feels pretty bad. Empathy is over rated at best coddling at worst. I don't have the answer but self discipline and not totally fucking over my already degraded mental state with an excess of drugs has been my answer.

>That's the thing, I really don't know why but most of the stuff psychologists really do is to get you to think about yourself even more, to become more self-conscious with these "...and how does it make you feel?" questions, while for most people, to get out of depression you just need to learn that shit sometimes happens, it's not your fault, that some

OY VEEEY, stop trying to deduce things on your own

>, you just need to raise above the pettiness and pursue your own goals and Make Yourself Great Again, so to speak
>Make Yourself Great Again

Shoah Alert; you're using a Trumpism which might be a symtom of Anti-Semitism and Negrophobia in the upcoming psychiatric DSM journals :^):^) youtube.com/watch?v=NmmaU5pL81g

It sucks. I'm constantly depressed, but I've learned to bury that fucking cancer deep down. It's the only way to get by. Shitposting on twitter helps, I've found.

Dad?

Will it go away if i give up my fucked up life? is believeing in God the only way out,I feel comfy when I gather support by thinking a supernarural dude is there with a remote up somewhere.

You don't understand. Most people don't get actual help from introspection questions besides short-term relief from "being heard out". People need to be told they need a change in their lives and pursue their dreams.

Psychologists are wonderfully uplifting hacks. Chattering about uplifting ideas and feels can only help so much. A psychiatrist is best equipped to diagnose and treat depression. But the field as whole still seems underdeveloped.

Agreed. Psychology and psychiatry in it's current form is still meme tier, and I have read tons of articles about mental disorders and psychology.

I have a personal theory that psychology is just a replacement for the same function that religion used to serve, but for atheists.

I think your theory is correct. It's the church confessional disguised as science.

Good thing you burgers still have religion, commies took ours and now people either go to psychiatrists/psychologists or witch doctors en masse.

>Psychologists are wonderfully uplifting hacks.
major lel when people assume that Psychology = Understanding Humanity (because we possess a brain amirite)

they never account for racial differences since the war ended in 1945 or dare to try more of Jung or edgelord fringe stuff rather than sticking to Freud, so the field will continue to stagnate

what happened, user? muh stacey fucked some other chad?

> be me
> straight A student (HS)
> 1st gf messes with my mind
> now B+ student (College)
> 2nd gf betafies me then leaves me for chad
> now B- student (Gradschool)
> 3rd gf turns out to have horrific abuse history (she tried to hide it so inb4 dramawhore)
> now C+ student, get expelled, spiral into depression, get dumped
> get job, get life together somewhat
> 4th gf (well, hookup) confesses to having taken 150 dicks due to muh dead father
> REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
> literally go on antidepressants for awhile
> do nothing but work and binge-read relationship advice and psychology textbooks
> for years
> self-help books are interesting but mostly shit
> psychiatrist textbooks are same as the above but way more wordy
> the PUAs seem like they're onto something
> TRP explains it all, muh reee except finally I understand
> Sup Forums explains why things are so POZzed today

What I'm saying, user, is that you need to take the hitlerpill.

after trying 2 different SSRIs and welbutrin Im going to try those ketamine IV infusioins

wish me luck lads I hope this goes well for me

>>junior year HS hits
>>start mentally changing for no reason

same here lad thats when I went downhill too junior year HS

same with my friend as well

i want to say its in teh water but maybe 17 is just the age problems start to show

your story is literally the same as mine minus the drugs.

>Looks like every leftists ever suffers from it and wears it as a badge of honor, while the right demonizes at weakness
lolno

sadness is normal when confronted with the awful truth of the world

its a waste of prescious time

>just stop being sad bro xD
Some high speed lead will fix you right up user

Only fat lesbians and pedos suffer from depression.

I was diagnosed last year with depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

I'm okay with anxiety and sometimes frustrated by the side effects of depression however the panic attacks are growing in severity I lay in bed at night focusing my breathing because it feels like my heart might seize up and stop. I went to the hospital the first time that happened, felt like a heart attack. Was only a panic attack and I felt so dumb for it.

I'm going to die alone having done nothing because some fight or flight function in my brain is permanently stuck to activated.

Nice one, your older brother think that one up for you?

>I feel my depression fading already!