Creator of Rainbow Flag for LGBT Rights Dies at 66a

SAN FRANCISCO -- Gilbert Baker, the man who created the rainbow flag, has died.

Activist Cleve Jones posted the news on his Facebook page Friday afternoon.

"I am heartbroken. My dearest friend in the world is gone. Gilbert gave the world the Rainbow Flag; he gave me forty years of love and friendship. I can't stop crying. I love you forever Gilbert Baker," he wrote.

Baker was approached by San Francisco Supervisor Harvey Milk to create something that would symbolize the community and take the place of the pink triangle used decades ago by the Nazis to identify homosexuals.

Baker knew it had to be a flag.

"Flags are about power," he said. "Flags say something. You put a rainbow flag on your windshield and you're saying something."

Milk paid $1,000 for Baker's work, which started in 1978.

Jones says a memorial will be held Friday night at Market and Castro streets for his dear friend.

GLBT Historical Society said Baker, a native of Kansas, lived in San Francisco from 1970 to 1994 before permanently moving to New York City.

The GLBT Historical Society asked that rainbow flags worldwide be lowered to half staff in honor of Baker.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qcWKZTI9OC4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Cool, maybe we can take the rainbow back from the faggots.

bump

At least before he died, one president had the balls to hold it proudly in the air!
F

AIDS is a ruthless disease.
F

did he die of AIDS?

This

The rainbow used to be so innocent. Now whenever a libfart sees a rainbow design, they have to shout out "DUDE, SO PROGRESSIVE, LGBTQLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890+ REPRESENTATION"

How are we going to take this shit back from the fucking faggots?

AIDS?

The rainbow is a symbol of God's covenant with Man, and its association with the abomination of homosexuality is a deliberate and direct insult to God and Christianity.

You know what they say.

why did he die so young?

F
ag

Contrary to liberal revisionist beliefs, HIV is a death sentence on your life expectancy

S

>saying something
Yeah.
>I hate religious people and want to take the name of marriage because it has more social acceptance and so I can force them to participate in services they will not agree with as a result or force them out of a line of work they may have been in generations
>when people call me out on it, I can say that it's OK because I'm gay and have had people say mean things about myself before

>1000 for a basic rainbow design

wow such art

It's true. The gay tolerance question would have been dead decades ago if not for these sorts of autistic shitheads. Many gays lean libertarian and actually approve of religious freedom. These are the ones President Trump was appealing to during the election.

This is true. This has gone relatively under the radar but it's a milestone nonetheless.

>Made a beautiful meteorological phenomenon the symbol of fags and degenerates
Will literally not be missed

Good riddance!

Nice

Nice

define religious freedom. freedom to intervene on women's behalf for their fetuses? freedom to discriminate against someone because of their sexuality or religion?

>freedom to discriminate against someone because of their sexuality or religion?

Yes. What's the problem with that?

So lets say I refuse to sell you a house because you are Christian? Sup Forums would flip a shit

Sup Forums is not one voice. I would personally be fine with it.

Well according to American (federal) law it is ok to not sell someone a house or fire them from a job because they are gay but not because they are Christian.

That sounds like a lie or at least a distortion of the truth. Assuming it's not, maybe the law should be changed in theory but in practice it's a total non-issue.

There are subtle ways to screen against demographics you don't want to do business with. People who walk into the trap of "no deal because you're _" are somewhat asking for it for being so open.

>Death from AIDS
Why am I not surprised?
F

my friend is a Indian dude (Native American to clarify) and tells me the LGBT rainbow is bullshit, because originally, in his culture, the rainbow was something cool, not gay.

Dio - Rainbow In The Dark
youtube.com/watch?v=qcWKZTI9OC4

listen to the lyrics you faggots

Can't wait for the upcoming Google Doodle!

Civil Rights Act of 1964 covers religious discrimination not sexual orientation discrimination.

Trump suggested it be amended to cover sexual orientation in a 2000 interview.

The rainbow is God's symbol. Fucking faggots stole it. Just like they stole the word "Gay." Gay means happy. Rainbow means God won't flood the whole earth again.

Fucking sodomites are diseased and hellbound.

Amen.

Wait until 50%+ die from aids in the next ten years, and pass out pink triangles to the survivors.

>60s
I'm not surprised. Horrible decade where policy was crafted by horrible people.

Anyway if you hate this entire bill altogether, you're preaching to the choir. If you think it should be extended to every socially constructed indicator of human behavior out there, I'm still not convinced.

Trump used to be more liberal decades ago. I guess age and seeing the worst excesses of the progressive left under Obama moderated his views a bit. Of course, people of all political stripes who think he's the second coming of Hitler are wildly wrong.

I don't think his personal views moderated. I think for an interview with Advocate Magazine he was going to present pro-gay talking points and to win a Republican election he would present anti-gay ones. Granted he mostly stayed out of it, but he has done (minor) anti-gay stuff since getting elected.

I hate the whole gay and rainbow association

>Gilbert Baker (June 2, 1951 – March 31, 2017) was an openly gay American
>Baker died of AIDS

I never seen that coming. What next? A terrorist attack in Europe and it's a Muslim?

> and to win a Republican election he would present anti-gay ones. Granted he mostly stayed out of it
Except he did neither. There's one rally in the campaign I distinctly recall where he explicitly called out to LGBT people and thanked them for the support. I believe he said something like "as a Republican, it means a lot to me". He's truly a unifying force.

>Granted he mostly stayed out of it, but he has done (minor) anti-gay stuff since getting elected.
Like what?

A few executive orders have loosened anti-LGBT discrimination.

Trump confirmed for best world leader I've seen in my lifetime then.

Rip dude

F

>Gilbert Baker,
Baker died of AIDS on March 31, 2017, at the age of 65, in New York City.[3]