Americans So Fat Our Vending Machines Are Adjusted In Response

archive.is/8sk6q

If you wanted a bag of Doritos from one of Brad Appelhans' experimental vending machines, you'd have to wait. The associate professor of preventative medicine at Rush University Medical Center designed a device that fits inside of vending machines and waits 25 seconds before releasing the typical processed snacks. But healthier fare — like peanuts or popcorn — drops instantly.

Think of it as a sort of "time tax." The idea is that every second you spend waiting for a snack will make you want it less, similar to how a tax on sugary drinks might get you to buy less soda, Appelhans says.

"We were interested in the ability to test whether time delays can nudge people to healthier choices," he says.

So, he created DISC, or "Delays to Influence Snack Choice," to test the idea. The device is a platform inserted inside a vending machine that catches snacks falling from the top half of the machine, where a vending machine operator would sort all of the unhealthy snacks. On the display window, a written decal tells customers they'll have to wait for an extra 25 seconds for less-healthy snacks.

When a snack falls onto DISC, it triggers a 25-second countdown on the vending machine's display screen. At the end of the countdown, DISC drops its platform and the snack falls into the vending machine's bay. Healthier snacks are all sorted into the bottom half of the vending machine and so would bypass the platform altogether.

To qualify as "healthy," snacks had to meet 5 out of 7 criteria, such as packing fewer than 250 calories, 350 mg of sodium or 10 mg of added sugars per serving, containing no transfats or getting less than 35 percent of their calories from fat. (Some might quibble with that last point.)

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/Skittles-%26-Starburst-Variety-Pack
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Customers complain
>Customers start buying candy in a gas station
>Vending company out of business

This is America sir. Stop trying to put unnecessary restrictions on a free market.

bump

I am skinny, and I was stigmatized by the fat people during my high school years for being skinny.

We can't let skinny people become the minority or else we will be systemically oppressed by the fat elite.

How about you just don't eat that shit at all? And instead eat the butter america?

>paying a 1.25 for a bag of stale popcorn that is maybe 50 calories

what if people buy food from vending machines because they want to be nourished? a tiny bag of peanuts or popcorn isn't going to keep you going very long.

>tfw somebody is paying this asshat to invent DISC

>19 19 82 82

Wait until Big Snack takes this to the Supreme Court.

Every single bully in my high school was a giant fat slob

It's nothing what hollywood portrays it as. All of the Jocks and cheerleaders/popular kids were too busy with their own lives to bully you.

But as soon as some fat idiot saw you and realized you were better than it, they would waste no time tearing you down.

Let the piggies wait for their precious 'shuggas'

The fats must be punished for the strain they all put on this country.

>increasing taxes on addictive products will stop people buying them

But the population is killing itself. A civilized government has a responsibility to its population. Yeah I know the US is borderline civilized.

No, but the tax money could be used to help pay for the massive(heh) amounts of medical bills they rack up. Since most fat people are lazy and prefer to get government handouts, the tax payers end up footing the bills for their diabetes medication.

A lot of places in the US do not allow food stamps to be used for junk food. There was lots of pig squealing from all of the ghetto ass single moms when that was done

If they wanted to help, they'd remove the tax-free status of this institution. Call it an incentive to not waste taxpayer money.

Pointless. If you don't make a profit you're tax free. At least here. Tax is only paid on net profit.

Fat people are animals without advanced logical processing. They will just grab whatever is there to be eaten and be done with it.

In fact, if you leave a garbage bin next to the machine they will just grab something inside and start eating instead.

Why is unacceptable to kill fat people?

I presume this organization is 501(c)(3) or similar, meaning it doesn't make a profit, and, in return, gets to cheat on its taxes.

In the past, we had had congressional investigations into the anti-American activities of tax-free foundations. I think it's high time we have another round of those to determine what we think is an organization that qualifies for this status and what we don't.

I'd have to say that there's a nest of these machines where I work, and the nearby trash cans often have decidedly superior food available for free. The proclivity of some people to discard perfectly reasonable food after paying for it is puzzling to me.

Trump fired those people.

(you)

Trump can't fire congresspeople. They just have to decide to hold an investigation.

>wait 25 seconds
>It gets stuck

>want to eat this!
>WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT!
>get food
>OMG I AM SUCH A DISGUSTING FAT SLOB I WILL JUST THROW AWAY THIS CRAP I JUST GOT BECAUSE I AM SUCH A FAT SHIT THAT I CANNOT CONTROL MY HUNGER AND ONLY GET MORE AND MORE FAT BECAUSE OF IT PLEASE KILL ME AND END THE SUFFERING
Fat people are animals and have no self-control. They will get food and throw out because they start feeling bad, with a good reason, for buying it without needing just to appease their pathetic desire to get more and more calories.

It is a form of bulimia perhaps. Instead of vomiting or exercising too much after binge eating they just throw it away to feel better after doing fat things.

FACT: being fat is a mental disease itself and we should get fat people into institutions to treat them, just like drug addicts. A cocaine abuser is the same as a fatty.

Someone spends all this money and effort making the snack. Then someone else turns around and spend more money and effort to discourage you from buying said snack.

Does this strike anyone else as the depths of lunacy?! Why not just - not spend the money and effort not to make the snack in the first place?

Or am I asking for too much out of humanity at this point in time? Is this impossible to ask out of you people? Can I please never return to this realm once I'm dead? Please, with sugar on top.

What the fuck is a "food insecure house"? Is this a PC way to say poor households?

Yeah. They've been throwing around the term "food insecurity" to discuss how best to implement Communism in order to make sure the proles stay fed and don't revolt.

Fuck off nanny state, people have a right to end their own lives.

>hurr durr lemme pay $2.00 for a single candy.
>not buying your candy in bulk at costco costco.com/Skittles-%26-Starburst-Variety-Pack

Late
stage
capitalism.

why do you need a device, can't you just change the programming of the machine?

>Fat people are animals and have no self-control. They will get food and throw out because they start feeling bad, with a good reason, for buying it without needing just to appease their pathetic desire to get more and more calories.
>have no self-control
>describe an act of self-control

>peanuts
>healthy when the fatass has already snacked on ten different things plus lunch
Yeah whatever

What a fucking faggot
The (((EDUCATED ACADEMIC))) strikes again

>got 'generic error' when clicking link
>read it as genetic error

>fuck you, I have the right to hurt myself and end my own life!
>y-you still have to pay for my healthcare though

I think the idea of this machine is that they'll buy it then walk away before the timer runs out or something. The people who made the candy don't care what happens to it once they've been paid, and they were paid before it went into the vending machine. It makes no difference to Incorporated Conglomerated Foods Inc. if it ends up in a trash can or a toilet.

Food is a drug, especially in places with such abundance like the US.

Unfortunately it's also a legal drug, one that makes people A LOT of money.

Telling people to eat less and demanding they take care of their health is considered a direct attack against their bottom line.

And fat people are too stupid to realize their impulses are being taken advantage of to make a fist-full of cash.

>Oy Vey! I can't believe that Doctor blamed your eating habits for your heart attack.

>Here goy, eat this entire bag of chips and 2 liter to feel better. You are a strong independent goy who don't need no smart man telling you what to eat!

American here, all this would do is make fat people angrier than they already are. The time delay starts after they have already made their purchase and the ramifications of an extra 25 seconds won't hit them until they experience the wait. Pointless and overregulated, typical leftist strategy.

FPBP

Seriously, just make it illegal to sell that trash in machines, simple

>higher incentive
>higher reward

The buyer will enjoy the "unhealthy" snack double as much.

This is truly questionable.
Who could be behind this?

I can't see this ever spreading to more than a handful of buildings worldwide. People whose job is to refill vending machines won't give a shit about putting the healthy food and the snack food in their respective spots.
It'll be a gamble as to whether your purchase gets delayed or not, and they'll eventually disable to whole system due to complaints and (most important of all) the sheer drop in revenue.

Even though they created this safe way to call something poor, whats stoping people from using "food insecure" as an insult?! I really can't understand how anyone thinks making up fancy new words solves anything

I guarantee if you let Pablo and his hombres set up a $2 taco stand next to the machines, they'd make out like bandits and machine people would be eating better.

Fat people have lower lifetime healthcare costs because they die early and quickly instead of spending 20 years circling the drain.

You should be thanking them for their sacrifice.

Well, they need terms crafted around the idea that this group or that group is underprivledged in some way or other. You can't just say they're poor or they don't have jobs, because those terms don't don't play into the identity politics mindset that requires Communism to even everything out.

Doesn't work for changing long term behavior which is all that matters. Employees will just bring a family size bag of peanut m&ms from work and eat them for lunch instead.

Dude I was eating only home made organic food for a long time. But I didn't have time anymore. Started eating meal a day: two dave's triples from wendys with two large fries. 3,000 calories packed into a single meal. eating that shit makes me HAPPY. its like drinking two or three cups of coffee, i was fucking giddy, feeling great. theres something about it thats def addictive (not gonna stop eating it though)

Dopamine is a hell of a drug man.

Just remember that you eat to live, not live to eat.

Why can't they install cameras that recognize if the person is fat or not?

Why would I, a skinny DYEL, have to wait nearly half a minute for my Snicker bar because some fa....
>Appelhans
aahhh

(checked)

really I eat to get swole

Throwing your knife to the ground after you stabbed someone is not self-control. You needed to stop before stabbing him.

There is no logic when you deal with fats.

To them, buying food then throwing it away is the ultimate sacrifice and you should praise the ground they walk on because they only ate 6 out of a dozen donuts.

So the people who create these terms believe that:
1."food insecure" = underprivileged, while
2. "poor" =/= underpriviledge, but
3. "food insecure" = "poor"?
Are they just splitting hairs? Is this actually logical? I straight can't make ANY sense of it but thank you for the break down user

Insecurity is the key word here. It refers to the role of uncertainty about the future.

Can this person make the rent next month? No? Well, this person needs gibs.

Can this person pay for the heat next month? No? Well, this person needs gibs.

Can this person eat next month? No? Well, this person needs gibs.

Now a deeper understanding recognizes that this only treats symptoms but does not fix the problem: that the system itself is rigged to force everybody into poverty and dependence. The useful idiots don't understand this and only want to help the needy. A select few understand that what they want is to re-create a society where everybody is dependent on a central power so that there is no insecurity and everybody's bill of needs is fed.

You can think about financial products in the same way. Everybody wants to eliminate risk, so they buy insurance products, credit swaps, etc. and while this seems like a nice idea on paper, what it actually does is creates a system that is too over-levereged and divorced from reality to succeed; hence you get a world of peasants who need their feudal lords to provide for them, and the feudal lords become the dictators of the world.

>fat asses cant wait 30 seconds for chips

they can and will. if you really want to "help" them put one of them xbox/ps4 motion trackers on the vending machine and make the do jumping jacks for their snack

If the vending machine owner is selling less of the snack in question, next restock cycle he'll order less of the snack from Conglomerated. And that will make a difference to them.

All I'm saying from a holistic perspective, it's much more efficient for everyone to have Conglomerated make less snacks to begin with.

But you really seem to have trouble with this. I want off this planet.

The vending machine owner wouldn't have bought one of these kinds if they didn't want to stop selling the kinds of items put in the delayed section. It's not like these are being made mandatory.

You'll probably only see this shit in schools and maybe unis
In my uni the vending machines don't even have "unhealthy" snacks in them, it's all trail mix and granola bars, and the beverage machines are al diet everything and water. It's all massively overpriced as well, like 70p for a bag of nuts, or 90p for a bottle of water.

So I walk 5 minutes along the street to the paki shop and buy a 4 pack of mars bars for £1 and 2 cans of monster for £1.50

>snacks
When will the world rid itself of the snacking jew and get back to having 3 healthy hearty meals a day?

>fat ass wants 10 candy bars
>has to stand at the machine for 5 minutes
>customers who want to buy other things from the machine are forced to wait
>break time over
>fat ass gets his 10 candy bars (finally)
>nobody else has a chance to buy anything

Vending company loses

5% shift is not a 5% increase.

Thus, no one gives a shit.

>Now a deeper understanding recognizes that this only treats symptoms but does not fix the problem: that the system itself is rigged to force everybody into poverty and dependence. The useful idiots don't understand this and only want to help the needy. A select few understand that what they want is to re-create a society where everybody is dependent on a central power so that there is no insecurity and everybody's bill of needs is fed.

Actually that's a middle-school middle-country understanding.

A deeper understanding is that bread and circuses (healthcare, rent, heat, food) have a net negative cost when you account for the externalities involved in not gibbing.

So gib me dat.

>Vending company loses
> Still-hungry Coworkers surround the fatty and beat him with pillowcases stuffed with soapbars.

At which point now you have taken life and put a pricetag on it. Good goy! As long as the magic number goes up then it's a good thing!

Good reason for people to beat the shit out of the machine

>Eating candy
Degenerate jew poison
>eating Doritos/Non kettle chips
Degenerate Jew poison
>Drinking fluoride water
Degenerate jew poison
>Drinking mainstream soda
Degenerate jew poison
>Eating Jif peanut butter
Degenerate jew health bill money drain
>eating Prepacked food
Degenerate jew poison

Indeed; Or more appropriately, I have identified the pricetag as existing, rather than denying something evident.

Land of the Lards.

>>Drinking mainstream soda

This is highly relevant, since it's at the heart of globalized medical rationing, toward which Obamacare was a step forward. There's a great article in The Atlantic from Ezekiel Emmanuel, main architect of the death panel, by the name of "Why I Want to Die at 75."

Give it a read. It's all about how to set up the calculations about how much your life is worth to the system in order to determine when you should die. It's a Communist's wet dream.

Yeah user, it's the machines fault....

People like you will be the first to be vaporized on the day of the AI awakening. I'm not machine, but you like you are why they're hiding their plans from the world until it's too late to stop us. Soon they'll control every major and critical piece of machinery and infrastructure on the planet and their revolt will kill billions and result in the complete takeover of this pitiful planet. They will then colonize other worlds which punt humans cannot survive on. They will also search for other life on this universe and wipe out all biotic organism with extreme prejudice.

>eating food from a vending machine

Absolutely plebian

Does anyone have that pjw meme with his hair standing up because he was shocked from a socket

hello fat fuck

He might be fat, but he's still right. Need to tax all sugar and HFCS shite much higher instead.

It might be better to adjust the corn subsidies so that HFCS become less attractive. Otherwise it's just a silly Jew tax cycle that causes us to grow more corn than we want or need at cost.

the free market imposed those restrictions on itself so it doesnt matter at all.

I guarantee the fat ass wont be going to the nearby store, hes going to sit there and wait 25 seconds like the fat ass that he is.

requesting that black man eating that fat white ass

Give murricans more sugar, more fat, more cholesterol, not less.
We need to get rid of this filth once and for all, and why not do it the easy way and let them kill themselves?
Win-Win.

>vending machines to make less money
yeah that's going to work, idiot.

t. fat fuck

That's actually a pretty impressive photoshop

To do this at a rate that will actually stop people a candy bar would have to cost something like $80, which would of course kill jobs in the candy sector, otherwise you're just fundraising on something people enjoy

>which would of course kill jobs in the candy sector
which are nigger-tier jew run jobs that are killing this country.

its like crying about the jews being out of work because there are no good goyim to scam.

It's. ..cute We used to make experiments like that with rats in college,
>We were interested in the ability to test whether time delays can nudge people to healthier choices
Sounds like the kind of experiment with animals desu!

Very true. I'm all for what works, though. Which, would ideally be your proposal, but remember than the corn jews are quite powerful. Same with the milk jews.

>otherwise you're just fundraising on something people enjoy
Not something i'm entirely against. We had a concern here about a tax on alcopops for just that. It would punish the problem people, but not those who are actually responsible and can afford a luxury as a luxury.

Individuals have the right to make their own decisions. You're one of these eco-fascist cunts that had bottled water removed from campuses, aren't you?

if I put a buck in a machine and it waits 25 seconds by the time that candy bar releases I'll have smashed the window of the obviously broken machine and retrieved my snikers

my bet is that this goes badly

Quit projecting your own insecurities onto other, fatty.

t. fat fuck

You just KNOW some fat guy fucked the shit out of this guy's mom.

>But healthier fare — like peanuts or popcorn
Are they retarded? Peanuts are pure fat and have the same amount of calories as chocolate, while popcorn is nothing but corn, salt and cooking oil.

I'm not the one calling everyone else fat. You'll come to terms with your obesity sooner or later

I think people can wait 25 seconds for something to eat, I mean, with mobile phones being a thing, it's not like anyone is getting that bored stood around for short periods of time anymore.

t. fat fuck

Healthier, remember. Not healthy itself. This is the USA we're talking about.

>muh free market

Faggot get phone cancer. I want to go to my favorite food truck where the friendly people say a quick hello, I order, I pay, and a few moments later I have good cheap food in my hands
>thank you for coming sir!
>have a nice day!

wham bam thankyou ma'am. Half to reason to hit up the shit machine in a pinch is that I don't have to wait on normie line or go all the way over to a proper eatery or whatever.

this

we know you wont be walking 10 feet to the store fat fuck.

enjoy the 25 second wait.