Does Christianity impede the progress of a civilization?

Other urls found in this thread:

kidspast.com/world-history/index.php
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicut_Judaeis
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yes all religion does, however -- most people can't handle the vacuum created by atheism. They want to believe something.

Compared to other religions that are more backwards christianity ain't as bad

Would you say that if religion made the general populous more happy they would contribute to society more?

/thread

Christianity is still an issue however. I lived in an area of the rural us where the local mega church had a great influence on city hall and practically ran things.

They secretly arsoned a strip club outside their jurisdiction multiple times and amazingly never could figure out who did it.

It was a terrifying existence to live among the Alabama and Mississippi Protestant Taliban. They absolutely do exist.

That sounds like a theocracy of sorts haha.

Chrsitianity brought about just enough stability to allow the emergence of European nations and all that followed. Before that, it was tribes raiding one another.

Christianity helped our civilization to thrive but it eventually cucked out to become what it is today. Most of our current problems are caused by the lack of anything to fill the void it left.

Interesting theory!

But you see it wasn't based on the Bible. They hated alcohol and members of that mega church would make it a point to say that the barbecue joint down the road was a sinful place just to eat at and urged take out because "they served....beer(!)"

They also fought hard against legalization or expansion of alcohol sales and would have gladly kept prohibition.

Where I'm the actual fuck does the Bible say alcohol is "evil" and "sinful" like what the fuck?

Guess jesus didnt turn water into wine he turned it into evil :o

Although I'm only one person, I'm gonna lean towards a big hell yes. Main reason? Religious Extremists. Sure you can believe in what you want, but using it as an excuse to hurt/kill your own species? Fucking sad m8. Animals fight and/or kill their own species for that sweet bush, not for what they believe.

That being said, if there was any sort of following that focuses on sustaining the human race from a practical and non-genocidal pov, I'm game. Slightly genocidal? Even better! The BEST idea was presented in "Black Mirror, Men Against Fire".

Remember, Hitler had the right idea, just the wrong demographic.

homogeneous but not necessarily happy

Yes. Without Christianity, Europeans would have genocided Africans instead of trying to convert and civilize them. So the global demographics today would be much higher IQ on average and we would have colonized the solar system by now. Instead we throw infinite money down the nigger black hole because rabbi Jesus said everyone is equal.

True, I am just not convinced that being a christian impedes your progress to society or Christianity as a whole, yes there are bad eggs but I just dont see it as generally bad, I dunno I am ready to be wrong.

1 problem at a time my friend hahaha.

Take your filthy jew religion back to the desert, thank you very much.

Yeah let's just pretend that Rome never existed. Jews created civilization after all, it's what my Judeo-Christian pastor told me in Sunday school right before his wife's son busted out the guitar and led us in a prayer jam.

The whole atheism is bad nonsense was created by Christianity

Poo

Quality bantz, anything else?

Modern atheism is actually just an extreme form of christianity. The sort of atheism you see today naturally emerges from christian dialectic.

"There once was a time when all people believed in God
and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages."
– Richard Lederer, "Anguished English"

it made the kikes smart

Religion and belief in God are two completely different things but some reason Christians are obsessed with combining both

I just think atheism these days is a bit weird I mean when you take it to the form people like Ricky gerveas does its a bit up themselves and just does nothing but be a negative cunt.

At this rate, certainly. But probably only to a near irrelevant extent. Someone sold on a young earth, creationism, and the flat earth due to Christianity are people who are only going to be a hassle.

Separate church from state, though thats what you need.

Thats what I am saying the current atheists denounce religion when their is no need to do so religion and belief in God are two different things Christianity fuck shit up by mixing the two

Quite the opposite

> comet approches
> departs earth

You stupid fucking plebs. Enjoy your idolatry.

SAVE ME TOM

It doesn't. Jesus turned water to wine. Some men, however, are looking to make a profit by acting holier than Jesus. They run businesses called megachurches, which sell a counterfeit Christ.

To the OP's question, the actual Good News is a requirement for civilization to pass beyond barbarism. Rome was responsible for a great many innovations, but when you look at it, they used the tools available to them in about the most barbaric manner they could. The pace of innovation was quite slow, and that may have been due to the amount of time Romans spent oppressing each other and being oppressed.

Once you get to about 450 AD, the Gospel has reached a critical mass and you start to see the earliest traces of nation-states in the Gothic kingdoms that supplant Rome in Italy. The unity of purpose provided by the simple knowledge that one who believes is saved was the catalyst for a thousand years of technological advancement in the medieval period.

Yes, the typical story is backwards. The Roman Republic made some important advancements but by and large the Romans were just the most administratively capable horde of degenerate barbarians in Europe. They had iron for a thousand years and never conceived of a better use for it than chopping heads and chaining slaves. It wasn't until after the Roman period that someone in Europe figured out how to make a heavy iron plow.

>t. ahmed

Pls atheist are killing themselves and dont have children

Only wilfully ignorant fools doubt His existence

Teach me more fedora-sensei

They think their lack of belief makes them more intelligent.

Yes goyim, Jews invented civilization. Without the Torah, you would be nothing.

I fucking hate christcucks so much. Reminder that we are going to kill all of you on the day of the rope.

Wow! It's another American education thread by Snake worshippers!

I think you mean frog.

Rome was religious too, you stupid atheist fuck. Christianity, like almost every example of religion, is a stabilizing foundation for civilization to grow from. Atheism is the civilization killer.

>Religion and belief in God are two completely different things

Big talk from someone with 33 gods.

>Rome was religious too, you stupid atheist fuck. Christianity, like almost every example of religion, is a stabilizing foundation for civilization to grow from.

Rome collapsed when Christianity took over.

>Atheism is the civilization killer.

The most primitive tribes on earth have religion. Today the most successful nations are the ones with the lowest church attendance. (Communist states made people HIDE their religion, but weren't very successful in eliminating it.)

Religion is a way of life and western definition of God dosent particularly fit Indian gods

>Rome collapsed when Christianity took over

Rome was collapsing when Christianity emerged to replace it.

ftfy

>Rome collapsed when Christianity took over.
Christ, why is it American flags that are always spewing the most historically illiterate shit? Rome was dead by the time Christianity conquered her.

>The most primitive tribes on earth have religion. Today the most successful nations are the ones with the lowest church attendance. (Communist states made people HIDE their religion, but weren't very successful in eliminating it.)
No, the most successful nations were nations built on religion. They are all now in various states of decline as atheism rears its ugly head. Taken to the logical conclusion of full atheism, precipitates mass murder and the ultimate fall of the nation.

You have problems with a lot of Western definitions. Toilet, dignity, hyiene, just to name a few.

Paco you live in a failed country a country run drug cartels acting edgy on the internet won't change the fact that the only relevance your country has is because of your citizens jumping borders

Religion is a pillar of civilization, christianism was the pillar of western civilization during the last 1500 years or so, it's a part of it.
The redpill to swallow is that even if you don't believe in its mythos, you still need its values and the two can't be separated or they will both sink.

Rome was very religious.
Also the new Testament has been written by greek and heavily influenced by its paganism both in its teachings and concept (see the Trinity for example).

Biggest problem with christianity today in our current demographic situation is not that it has jewish root, the problem is that it's an universalistic religion.

Given how monks preserved ancient texts and how much they contributed to scientific progress, I'd say no.

Also, remember that progress eventually leads to collapse, so impeding it is sometimes not a bad thing.

I personally wish we could go back to a time where we were less technologically developed.

>religion is a way of life
Just because Hinduism is full of meme gods that fit in better with the likes of Zeus, Odin and Ra than with contemporary religion so there's no actual faith, spirituality or worship in your "religion" doesn't mean it's universal for any actual religion out there.

I mean, let's be honest. Do we need to start posting all the ancient indian temples filled with your peoples' shit? You don't know religion because India has no religion. You have the vague practices left in the wake of your dead mythology.

Christianity forced a common language to be taught between all the monks that proselytized. This teaching of Latin and Greek allowed these monks to look up old Roman and Greek texts and translate them into their language. This preserved much of the knowledge that would have otherwise been lost. Christianity allowed much of Roman and Greek culture to be preserved because it created a need for people to learn the languages.

Christian culture has become so ubiquitous atheists don't even realize they practice Christian culture while stating God doesn't exist.

>no faith spirituality or worship
Kek, keep telling yourself that probably reaffirms you faith in your Jewish religion

The Dark ages is a british meme invented to describe the situation of the islands until the conquest of Guillaume in 1066.
Dark ages never existed in Gauls, Germany, Greece and pretty much all eastern and nordic Europe (which made the vast majority of the population of the continent), in fact it was a time of tremendous developpement for Europe (see the Carolingian Renaissance) and there was more technological progress accomplished during the Middle Age than during Antiquity.

The meme of "le ebil church keeping europeans in darkness" is completely ridicule, read about the monasteries, the Pax et treuga Dei, the crusades and overall the entire period, I've been raised in anti-clericalism and so with strong prejucide against the Church but studying history as an hobby totally changed my mind about the question.
If anything the church was a pacifying and structural force for Europe, it was not perfect sure but it sure did a better job than the secular power of the kings, in fact the most devoted and pro-church kings (like Charlemagne or Saint Louis) were the one who brought the more peace and prosperity to their subjects.

You don't see Christians squatting and shitting on the shrines of their religion.

Holy shit. Open a fucking history book, or go read history for kids or something, you dumbass.
kidspast.com/world-history/index.php

Given that Byzantium was the most advanced nation of its time, probably not.

this x100

Oh yeah you only see them demonizing other religions and subverting other cultures, Christianity is the biggest cash for favor scam in history

Quite the opposite; within Christianity, only Protestantism impedes the progress of a civilization

>Rome collapsed when Christianity took over.
We must have then just imagined the next 1000 years of Eastern Roman Empire.

/thread

At least Christians can poo in the loo.

Do you really have to ask?

Yes they molest little kids too

It's actually Catholics who are the scientific mudslims of the world. Inquisition, witch trials, killing of Bruno and house arresting Galileo ring a bell? Yeah, you're such a scientific progressive.

I wouldn't call this progress. Obese and barely mobile people staring at a fucking computer screen typing shit into Sup Forums. This isn't progress.

>Inquisition and witch trials
Actually a movement against abortionists after the plague when babies were sorely needed, which took a bad turn when ignorant villagers used it to settle disputes between them
>killing of Bruno
He was killed because thinking the human soul could be transferred to beasts. His scientific research was inspider by his religious education, actually confirming my point thankyouverymuch.
>house arresting Galileo
Similar history to Giordano Bruno regarding the source of his inspiration

Also do take a look at the Cistercian Order.

So does this mean it does?

>Comparing continents to countries

>Does Christianity impede the progress of a civilization?
no.
pic related

>a-another shoah!
>nervious handwringing
c > &

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicut_Judaeis
They had laws about Christians being banned from the banking industry around that time too.

>"[The Jews] ought to suffer no prejudice. We, out of the meekness of Christian piety, and in keeping in the footprints or Our predecessors of happy memory, the Roman Pontiffs Calixtus, Eugene, Alexander, Clement, admit their petition, and We grant them the buckler of Our protection.

>For We make the law that no Christian compel them, unwilling or refusing, by violence to come to baptism. But, if any one of them should spontaneously, and for the sake of the faith, fly to the Christians, once his choice has become evident, let him be made a Christian without any calumny. Indeed, he is not considered to possess the true faith of Christianity who is not recognized to have come to Christian baptism, not spontaneously, but unwillingly.

>Too, no Christian ought to presume...to injure their persons, or with violence to take their property, or to change the good customs which they have had until now in whatever region they inhabit.

>Besides, in the celebration of their own festivities, no one ought disturb them in any way, with clubs or stones, nor ought any one try to require from them or to extort from them services they do not owe, except for those they have been accustomed from times past to perform.

>...We decree... that no one ought to dare mutilate or diminish a Jewish cemetery, nor, in order to get money, to exhume bodies once they have been buried.
>If anyone, however, shall attempt, the tenor of this decree once known, to go against it...let him be punished by the vengeance of excommunication, unless he correct his presumption by making equivalent satisfaction."

Unironically yes, Christianity does. The Roman empire peaked prior to Christianity and Christianity slowed things down and arguably contributed to the slow collapse of the empire.. Christians like to pretend their Christian values built up western civilization, but it was Christians appropriating Roman values and spreading it around Europe under the mask of Christian values.
I'm still a Christian though.

>The bull was reaffirmed by many popes including Alexander III, Celestine III (1191-1198), Innocent III (1199), Honorius III (1216), Gregory IX (1235), Innocent IV (1246), Alexander IV (1255), Urban IV (1262), Gregory X (1272 & 1274), Nicholas III, Martin IV (1281), Honorius IV (1285-1287), Nicholas IV (1288-92), Clement VI (1348), Urban V (1365), Boniface IX (1389), Martin V (1422), and Nicholas V (1447).