The emo/alternative scene of the mid to late 00s was the last unabashedly white cultural phenomena

The emo/alternative scene of the mid to late 00s was the last unabashedly white cultural phenomena.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AZka3E37k6w
youtube.com/watch?v=OGsdIA9Wd2g
youtube.com/watch?v=_YNpGTF-Cr4
youtube.com/watch?v=iUrRdzC6EAk
youtube.com/watch?v=OiNAact_1vM
youtube.com/watch?v=cLA86Bjmnmg
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw25-R2i-kU
youtube.com/watch?v=qgtkPKZ2OPk
youtube.com/watch?v=tNV16tz1NK0
youtube.com/watch?v=_d-TWBj46tA
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreKiller
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

where we all dressed in womens jeans and the girls slit their wrists.
heaps good

Say what you will, it was free of the banal and pretentious irony of the hipster culture that followed.

This. OP explain more please.

Also give me the best bands and albums from this movement please. I used to listen to Saves the Day, and that album, but I never got into much music.

Such an emo thing to say

The most obvious part would be that black people had no noticeable contribution to the production of emo/alternative music. Lyrics dealt with things only white people would comprehend or care about. Though it could be left-leaning, the fact is it was made by white people for white people. The music was typically melodic in nature, which shows a lack of negroidic influence.

Moreover, emo youth rejected mainstream music, which meant a rejection of negroidic music. You remember all those youtube channels or myspace profiles where some emo kid made sure to mention how much he hated rap?

OMG, the emos didn't become the hipsters...they became the stormfags?

...which in turn was a recycled, faggier version of the 'pales' from the 80s (think The Cure, The Bolshoi, The Mission UK, The Curch), except the emos have devolved into the emasculated entities they call "men" nowadays.

I'd say the last mainly white culrural phenomena was the explosion of Grunge from late-80s to mid 90s.

I do remember that, and I agree on the melodic point.

Hit the nail on the head

It wasn't intentional, but it did contribute. The whiteness of emo is also why it became a subject of mockery; Don't listen to this white music which tries to make a serious statement, listen to this black music that sings about facile hedonism.

It's a natural evolution in the same way grunge was an evolution of 70s punk.

GOAT album coming through

Jimmy Eat World's Clarity, lots of /comfy/ songs on there

Fall Out Boy are total sellouts.

mein niggar

Give Creature Feature a listen op, specifically The Greatest Show Unearthed.

One of the owners of TRS was in a goth band.

Agreed. Everything after 2008 has been disgusting from a teenage me perspective

Yeah and it was filled with misplaced groundless angst and sentimentality that accomplished nothing.

Go listen to a My Chemical Romance record and cry for the 1000th time.

90's were better

Holy shit good fucking times

That movement really brought people together. Even a lot of normies got on board with that shit. I played in a touring band in the final days of metalcore commercialization, good fucking times.

People were stoked on that shit. I was getting women out of my league, 100+ people were coming to shows, kids were moshing, people acted like I was hot shit

Now white person music has generally lost it's sex appeal. Hip hop has taken over, which obviously sucks for many different reasons

>phenomena
Is plural

What are some good artists and bands please?

You'll have to give me some time to catch up. It's been almost ten years since my interest peaked. I'm sure other anons in this thread can help.

I became buds with a band member of Coheed and Cambria, cool guy and has some pretty good stories about tour.

well the way I remember it, It went mod, punk, grunge, emo, then scene. Scene has supposedly ended so I don't know what you call the white subculture now... I was going to call them mod but that was already from the 60's so...

In that genre I liked earlier AFI

>the world is so fucked people are nostalgic for a cultural phenomena about being depressed and self harming

Good lord I remember being a 22 year old barfly and scamming t h i c c qts at shows. It's true though. That was a golden time.

Another part of this would have to be the environment in which emo kids grew up. Parents went out of their way to not raise their children. They sent them to daycare as infants and toddlers, fed them shitty food which took no effort to cook and was heavily processed, and watched TV instead of talking to their kids. If you've ever seen Stefan Molyneux's "Rise of the Daycare Generation", you know what I'm talking about. If you recognize that something ain't right about the world you're in, naturally you're gonna be drawn to music that says the same thing. If you have the right mindset to see that the world around you is fucked, you have the potential to become a stormfag.

faggot ass pussy mother fucker

I think thats a sheep tho

unironically Black Parade by MCR

youtube.com/watch?v=AZka3E37k6w

the only album that matters boys

Do you guys ever think something white and non-niggerfied will be the hip cultural zeitgeist again?

Panic at the Disco is a stealth good band, Death of a Batchelor is a great album

Idk, Mumford rock and all that banjo "Americana" from a few years back was arguably more white than the white people with literal white makeup.

Obviously that music was terrible, but 10 years from now if you don't think people will be nostalgic for Of Monsters and Men or whatever in the same way people are nostalgic for My Chemical Romance, you're crazy.

Mission UK are the only good band mentioned so far.

It's not impossible, but if it happened now it would be met with immediate opposition.

yeah
when rock eventually makes a resurgence
during the 2000s emo/alt-rock phase there was dirty south rap going on
currently there's just no rock scene, it'll come back eventually

Can confirm. Listened to emo/punk music growing up. Hated rap then. Hate it now.

However a lot of the people from my circle when we were younger succumbed to the mindlessness of the ghetto booty noise.

+1

devil > deja

you cant cry to gerard way's voice.

patrick stump on the other hand...

Making out with emo qt's while listening to The Faint was a jolly time indeed.

I was also a very early adopter of MySpace and since the profiles on there were sorted by ID, I showed up on many people's profiles right after Tom and had like 10K emo scenester girlfriends on there.

Of course, I am not proud of the way I looked and dressed back then.

it was good fucking times. All I did in highschool was heroin and fuck emo chicks. best time of my life

holy shit.

Please listen to the first two albums by Senses Fail, thank me later. Disregard the fact that the lead singer is blatantly TERRIBLE live.

>from the 90s
get outta here

nice denim jacket faggot

Don't rag on it. It's important to understanda genre's roots. On that note, try AFI's All Hallows EP.

idk if it's really emo but I really dig metric's early albums

youtube.com/watch?v=OGsdIA9Wd2g

New Found Glory was cool, not as emo, more like Sum 41
youtube.com/watch?v=_YNpGTF-Cr4

A Day To Remember was badass, more screemo but the guitar riffs and breakdowns were a lot harder
youtube.com/watch?v=iUrRdzC6EAk

August Burns Red was aryan as fuck, unabashed christian group that would sometimes pray with the crowd during shows.
youtube.com/watch?v=OiNAact_1vM

TDWP was also a huge band during the big emo hype. Their Zombie EP goes hard as fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=cLA86Bjmnmg

Wait what the fuck, where are my dudes who go to Emo Nite in LA at the echoplex. I've been 3 times and it's fun as fuck screaming this shit drunk off Sapporo.

Sorry to bother your afi/my chemical romance circlejerk

>American Football
>emo's roots
emo started in the 80s m8

>was the last unabashedly white cultural phenomena

And the hipsters?

Some genuinely fantastic music came out of that scene.

What a Catch

what a song

>making fun of numales
>nostalgic for this shit

you only have yourselves to blame

>metric
my nigger, saw them live last year
youtube.com/watch?v=Iw25-R2i-kU

Brand new oh god!!!

Wait, are they emo? I listened Jesus Christ and it's do good. I didn't know this band is emo.

Given how they eat "ethnic food" all the time and listen to shit like Kendrick Lamar, I'd say no.

saw them live and weezer in august it was a great show and i felt no shame in drinking with a bunch of 16 year old girls in a field were the concert was

The hipsters are/were millenials with an identity crisis who did not know how to cope with growing up.

Similar genre, try Circus Contraption.
I'm still grieving their deaths....

>Screamo trash

Their older albums were definitely there.

youtube.com/watch?v=qgtkPKZ2OPk

>emo
Since when did Sup Forums become a gay board?

Yep. It was genre killing good.

TWO

BEERS

IN

why dont you go cry on your livejournal about it faggot

>when

do you see how much attention gay threads get?

Meh, it was a phase. I was an edgy teenager. I've since moved on. I listen to a lot of outlaw country music now, it speaks to me more now in my 20s
youtube.com/watch?v=tNV16tz1NK0

Hey, sounds like a great time.

Matchbook Romance were strange.
youtube.com/watch?v=_d-TWBj46tA
Pure emo in terms of sound, band name and lyrics.
Completely rejected the style/fashion.

what you mean by that?

21 years old and still no emo gf.

Emo gf has been my one desire ever since I first got into women at age 11. Now it's been 10 cold, lonely miserable years, and I still don't have one. And now I'm well out of the age range of emo girls and it's 2017 so they died out a long time ago anyways.

Why live just kill me already ;_; please tell me I'm not the only one dealing with these feels

Never cared much for the screaming music that people stereotype emo with, but I loved the more melodic and dancy/electronic bands.

>The Faint, Postal Service, Interpol, Bright Eyes, Franz Ferdinand, Death Cab for Cutie, Ladytron, Femme Fatality, Bravery, and various lesser known bands.

Rip its too late friend

my friend had an emo gf even if she didn't admit it. she's kind of a manipulative cunt
they're still dating, she's no longer in her emo phase

hey actual good music. That doesn't seem to be allowed in this cringe circle jerk of a fucking thread.

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenreKiller
>A work so good that nothing else can live up to it. This is rare, since these usually just attract imitators, but there's only so many derivative works the audience may take before switching to something else.
>A Magnum Opus that might not be necessarily good but is guaranteed to become classic due to utterly exhausting the genre and beating every single trope in it to death, making it nearly impossible to create further works within the genre's constraints without being accused of Plagiarism or Creative Sterility.

The Black Parade was such a big album, propelling MCR and emo to such mainstream saturation that it effectively killed off the scene. Everything *seemed* like a shallow imitation and derivative afterwards. I mean, can you even remember what the band's follow up album was? I don't and I probably own it.

American Football

Danger Days
I'm a big MCR fan

Danger days?

Still in my rotation to this day senpai

>pro-fag
>pro-drugs
>pro-suicide
>degenerate shit like tattoos and piercings and gay ass makeup and shit
>crying about women and shit

it may have been white but it wasn't redpilled

It was too! And it's not an emo album at all.

I was stupid attractive in my highschool years and played in a couple bands , so I've naturally dated a couple of emo girls. Believe me when I tell you that shit ain't worth it. It's constant mental strain because they all have serious mental issues 24/7. I'd be lucky to have one day a week where they weren't having a complete breakdown. My advice is to find a relatively normal girl into alternative music and slowly indulgence her to look and dress in that way if all you're really looking for is the aesthetic.

AFI, MyChemical Romance, Anberlin, Escape the Fate (i work at the school Ronnie Radke graduated from), Fallout Boy, Flyleaf, Deathcab for Cutie, Taking Back Sunday, Forever the Sickest Kids, Framing Hanley, Hawthorne MOTHERFUCKING Heights, Jack's Mannequin, Jimmy Eat World, LostProphets (before lead singer went all pedo), Madina Lake,Mayday Parade, Panic at the Disco, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Thirty Seconds to Mars (first few records) Underoath, The Used

There's more, but these are my big ones.

It's not good either.

Hipsters. Any minorities that attempt it look as out of place as the ones that attempted to be emo or goth.

*influence