CATHOLIC GENERAL: KING BALDWIN/ PRAY FOR OUR EGYPTIAN BROTHERS/ PALM SUNDAY EDITION

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>DEDICATED CATHOLIC GENERALS EVERY SUNDAY

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life. Did your priest cover the crucifix & statues in violet, anons?

Today is PALM SUNDAY OF THE LORD'S PASSION
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/040917.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.K)
lms.org.uk/mass-listings
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.S/Can)
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n3bToessBG8
youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE
christiantruth.com/Beckwith-Response-to-Return-to-Rome.html
youtube.com/watch?v=g7BbncHyw9E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

May St. Anthony console our Egyptian brothers, and be an inspriation to them as they undoubtedly endure temptation of despair

Tfw you will never be 16 year old Baldwin with leprosy defeating Saladin at Montgisard

Bumpity Bump

No OP is /ourguy

reminder
youtube.com/watch?v=n3bToessBG8

His title was prince you idiot

The recognition of the inspiration of the books that make up the NT and their acceptance on a par with the OT developed gradually. The Catholic church needed to sift through more than 50 Gospels, 22 Acts and many other writings during the gradual process of determining which Christian writings should be included in the NT. This process was completed by a decree of Pope St. Damasus I in 383, and confirmed at the councils of Hippo in 393 and Carthage in 397 and 419. Subsequently, the councils of Second Nicea in 787, Florence in 1441, and Trent in 1546 approved the identical canon of the bible that Catholics still recognize today as divinely inspired. The Church made this determination by drawing on sacred tradition.

In the 16th century, Luther rejected the seven books that comprise the deuterocanonicals together with parts of Daniel and Esther. He did so because they contained passages that disagreed with his theology. Luther claimed that all matters of faith and practice were based on the bible alone, but the bible never gave Luther the authority to determine the books that belong in the bible. Luther also questioned "Whether James was in fact scripture" along with Hebrews, Jude, and Revelation. He referred to Jude as a "superfluous document" and claimed that Revelation "lacks everything that I hold as apostolic or prophetic."

Since protestants teach that the bible alone is their ultimate authority, each book of the bible has a cloud of suspicion hanging over it because the bible does not have an infallible table of contents that lists the books that are divinely inspired and, therefore, should be included in it. If, as Luther taught and protestants believe, the Catholic church was wrong about the deuterocanonicals, isn't it reasonable to suspect from that perspective that the Catholic church made other errors? Perhaps other books should be rejected from the bible?

Easter soon, fellow brothers.

I really would love to see a protestant respond to this. I don't understand how they can accept a bible that was founded on sacred tradition.

It is our duty as Catholics, to continue to wage the crusade against modernity and degeneracy. We must hold true to tradition, and not fall astray from the One True, Holy and Apostolic Faith. Be strong my brothers and sisters. The evil one is always searching for a way to make us fall. Seek Christ in those days, and pray the rosary. Please pray for my soul aswell, for the things I have done and the things I have failed to do.

Glory to God.
Honor to Mary.

One of the most Catholic countries in Europe coming through

>TFW eagerly awaiting the end of lent

I really want to go back to shitposting, I gave it up.

Pray for our brothers who gave up Sup Forums, we'll see them again Thursay.

Protestantism is dying out. Their lack of structure has allowed the degeneracy that exists within everybody to run rampant and corrupt their faith. Now they re not having children. Unity in the Catholic church is the first step to overcoming the troubling times we are facing. Once we stomp the cowards way out of christianity which is protestantism we can face forward and get rid of the current Pope. Protestants need to learn not to run away and create a new religion every time you disagree but to fight and let the better side dictate the church as God and Nature both will.

I love this painting, but please do post the entire thing, uncropped.

Despite how intellectually bankrupt it is, protestantism will never die out simply because of how seductively easy it is. They promise salvation without having to be bothered following the rules, in other words it enables people feel good without having to put the work in.

If I was the devil and I wanted to seduce the world into rebellion I would take the form of a protestant minister. The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.

Oh wow, thanks! I never knew that it had a bottom half, I will save it.

What's the best bible for a first time reader? Would it be one of the study bibles like the NABRE or something more poetic like the KJV or Douay Rheims? Also, what does one gain from reading the theology study bibles, other than a more literal translation, I suppose?

I'm still new to this, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for any help, and God Bless!

Is this image too crude? Should we stick to more tasteful art in these generals?

I have a Douay Rheims bible for reading and a Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament for more insight into the text.

Yes, please. But that doesn't make the picture any less true

Wishing everyone a good Holy Week. Doubt I can get to mass today, but I will on Easter. God bless all of you.

How to stop masturbation ?

I like his neutral expression as if getting bothered by demons is an everyday occurrence in his life.

God smite ISIS on this holy day!

I quit the Church recently because I cannot be a member of a religion that lets their members be killed and prosecuted and does nothing about it.

Even more the Pope goes washing the fucking feet of the ones that will gladly see us dead.

Fuck this shit religion. Call me back when we have a Pope with COJONES.

>Would it be one of the study bibles like the NABRE or something more poetic like the KJV or Douay Rheims? Also, what does one gain from reading the theology study bibles, other than a more literal translation, I suppose?
I would say the NIV, but also try and find a version in the original greek/Hebrew, or a website that has it, as it's often helpful to reference that, since quite a bit is lost in translation.

May God guide you on your journey to Him

Yeah me too

Ramadan in June 25th.

It'd be a real shame if someone dylan roof'd a mosque on their holy day...

Find a more productive passtime. Take up writing or drawing, or carpentry, or a sport, try doing 10 push-ups every time you want to, that helped me. Stop doing it, and channel the desire into the practice of something else.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKpexxzR4Ak

>It'd be a real shame if someone dylan roof'd a mosque on their holy day
While I'm all in favor of action against Islam, we must always keep Christ's word in our hearts and minds.
As it is now, many muslims are kept ignorant, brainwashed to believe their religion. The warlords of the middle east oppress them, killing all who dare speak God's Truth.
Thus, it is only just to act against the brutal tyrants and their devout followers, in something like a crusade, while showing only love and compassion to those they have opressed, ministering to them with our every word and action, so that they may all come to know God, and the middle east and North Africa may once again be Christian.

Attack the actual problem, not just any muslim. Random acts of violence against random muslims makes us no better than the terrorist, and with that they shall never come to know God

youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE

DEUS VULT

Exercise
Fasting
Get a crucifix or any holy image next to your computer to dissuade you

Do you believe in God? When I find myself tempted to sin I remind myself of what sin is. It's the willful rejection of God. I say outwordly "God, I know you don't want me to do this but I'm going to do it anyway" or something along those lines and it really puts things into perspective, for me at least it tends to stop any desire I had to sin.

>tfw a lot of young couples and young single people have been coming to church for the first time recently
Has anybody else noticed this?
Maybe it's just my church, but there's definitely been a massive spike in the number of young people attending mass here. And rather devout too, women wearing cloth over their head like before vatican II, everyone dressed up real nice and everything.

It's a great blessing, I just wonder what's caused it.

>cloth over their head
It's called a mantilla, my yank friend.

I've noticed the same trend. This generation is the first to really taste the fruits of liberalism that has pervaded the West, & they've found those fruits to be bitter. As in all generations, the Church is the institution that stands out as apart from the moral degradation

>king baldwin
the crusaders were murderers who murdered people in direct contravention of christs teachings

the early christians refused to perform military service and were martyred as a result. better to die than to take up arms against your fellow men

honouring crusaders is nonsensical, you might as well honour jack the ripper or some other bloodthirsty murderer because it would make just as much sense from a christian perspective as honouring the crusaders

>inb4 just war meme
if christ had meant there to be exceptions to the rule he would have said so

Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

When Jesus saw that the people came running together, he rebuked the foul spirit, saying unto him, Thou dumb and deaf spirit, I charge thee, come out of him, and enter no more into him.

And the spirit cried, and rent him sore, and came out of him

Fear not

>It's called a mantilla, my yank friend.
I knew it had an actual name.
>This generation is the first to really taste the fruits of liberalism that has pervaded the West, & they've found those fruits to be bitter. As in all generations, the Church is the institution that stands out as apart from the moral degradation
That's a good explanation. Hopefully the Church can expand on this, and try and draw even more people in as the west faces this tide of degeneracy from within and barbaric invasion from without.

And given devout Catholic birthrates, especially when compared to atheists, means the west might once again be Christian in a couple of generations.

As a side bonus, a lot of the new female converts are qts, which is a blessing from God if I do say so. A blessing meant for only one man, to be enjoyed after the sacrament of holy matrimony for the purpose of love and procreation of course, but a blessing nonetheless.

What does Francis' actions have to do with catholic doctrine? With Christ's own church? If you lost your faith because of him, I have to doubt your sincerity with it from the beginning, meaning no insult of course.

Any italy bros go to the palm sunday mass?

Better pic

>the crusaders were murderers who murdered people in direct contravention of christs teachings
Wrong. They were defending the church and the faith. It would be sinful to stand by and let islam destroy Christianity
>the early christians refused to perform military service and were martyred as a result. better to die than to take up arms against your fellow men
While that is true in some cases, that is far from an absolute.
>honouring crusaders is nonsensical, you might as well honour jack the ripper or some other bloodthirsty murderer because it would make just as much sense from a christian perspective as honouring the crusaders
Jack the ripper was a blood thirty murderer who killed the innocent. While I would be lying if I said the crusader were always saints (they weren't, there are definitely things they failed at)
>>inb4 just war meme
>if christ had meant there to be exceptions to the rule he would have said so
Oh, I guess all those times God said to the jews "go and fight wars with these people" don't count then? Or is Jesus not the God of the Old Testament? Moreover, the "Jesus said to never kill" is a meme. Christ was a peaceful man, but He never advocated complete pacifisim. The few pieces of scripture that support that view fail to actually support it when viewed in the original text and historical context.

Tell me why I should be a Christian, Christbros.

I am a a non Catholic Christian. I am not a Protestant because my tradition was never a part of Rome in order to protest it. I was going to write a lengthy response, but decided against it. Here is a link to an article that sums up my thinking on your claim.

christiantruth.com/Beckwith-Response-to-Return-to-Rome.html

I am hesitant to fight with Catholics since we both name Christ and I at least confess Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. Neither Christ, nor Paul, nor any of the Apostles demand what Catholics demand of me for my soul's salvation. I have read all the early church fathers (pre-Nicaea) and find no evidence of a political, universal organization like the Catholic Church being adopted by these men.

God bless you

Then we don't do it like terrorists and actually conduct a formal Crusade, God knows we need at least one these days

That depends a whole lot upon the individual.

Two big questions: why aren't you one now, what is it that keeps you from it? Why are you considering becoming one, or at the very leat showing some interest?

There is no God but Allah and Muhammed (pbuh) is his prophet

Checked

I don't think that the events told in the Bible are true (not enough evidence) and I don't know if I'd be willing to devote so much to something that may or may not be false.
I'm considering it because, nonetheless, I think that religion plays an important role in society and leads to an above-average fulfilling life.

Parables user
Parables
The events in the OT are moral stories, imagine them to be akin to aesops fables

For eternal life, to feel the presence of God, to battle degeneracy and heresy. For peace with this earth, and its fallen nature. For posterity. For God, creator of all things.

To live a way of life, that is objectively good. To live a life that is difficult, but which will give eternal fruits. To know you are loved and forgiven of your sins.

Being part of a moral, spiritual and intellectual tradition. A tradition that is anti-modern, anti-degenerate. A tradition that you can be proud to be a part of.

It will help you reform your own life, you will see where you are failing yourself, in the inner recesses of your heart. It will inspire and motivate you to change your self, into someone who is better, more deserving of Gods love, more prepared to receive it and to know it.

I will pray for you user. Sup Forums is what converted me. Mostly through the work of Dr. E Michael Jones. Check out his youtube if you havent. He talks about the revolutionary Jew throughout history, and its anti-logos anti-christ mission.

God Bless.

I understand that they serve an important purpose, but accepting the morals does not make you a Christian. Are you implying that one should call himself a Christian if he does not believe in Jesus?

Oh most definitely.
As a little side project right now, I'm actually trying to write up an essay/encyclical that both defends the concept of crusades, shows the need for a new one, outlines the nessecary protocols to wage one while keeping in line with Christ (codes on conduct, ministery and service to the innocent and oppressed one encounters, abstaining from over responding such as not killing an already bested foe, etc.) and calls upon the Church and all Catholics and Christians to engage in one for the good of the Faith, the West and the oppressed people of the middle east, shackled to a false religion by the chains of ignorance.
It's in the early stages now, but when I finish it (which may be years from now, calling for war in the name of God should never be taken lightly, and I must ensure that it is 100% perfect, so thst none can dispute it) I'll try and post it here for people to read, critique and spread

Thank you very much sirs.

Are these generals a regular occurrence on Sundays? Because that would be a huge comfort. I'm on a work trip to Taiwan for 3 months, and I don't know of any churches nearby. It'd be good to have this kind of contact with a Christian community while I'm in the midst of a foreign land.

pic related is Mont-Saint-Michel in France. Let's throw in some cool architecture as well.

HERESY

GNOSTIC SHILL

Earliest condemners of Gnosticism were Polykarp and Iranaeus and John the Apostle all recorded by the Church to have called them "enemy of the truth" and "the first born of Satan"

Well-put, canon, thanks. Same to you.
I know Christianity serves a good purpose, but can you tell me why I should take it literally (other than Pascal's wager)?

Yep, every Sunday there is this general. And also throughout the week whenever Wolfshiem or some other user makes them.

Nice pic. Saved!

it is sinful to resist evil with violence. i refer you to: everything christ ever said, especially the sermon on the mount. it is the complete antithesis of christs teachings to go abroad and slaughter countless people in the socalled holy land, no amount of philosophical wriggling can escape this and it is irrlevant what the opinion of the church was at the time. churches have no authority. christs teachings have authority because they sre the truth, and they are true not because of who christ was but because all men know that the following of christs teachings in their true form would establish the kingdom of god on earth

just because it is traditional to pervert christs teachings and pretend that murder is not a sin does not make it right

Kid
Relax
I didn't say ALL stories are parables
Some go 100x farther being shown as a moral, constructive story rather than something you should take verbatim. Believe in them as actual happenings if you want, but the purpose is the same regardless

>I don't think that the events told in the Bible are true (not enough evidence) and I don't know if I'd be willing to devote so much to something that may or may not be false.
Depending upon the part of the bible, the Church agrees that many of it is not historically accurate, such as genesis. The New Testament is 100% true (though revelation is a metaphor), and luckily it's also the part that has the most evidence to back it up historically.
>I'm considering it because, nonetheless, I think that religion plays an important role in society and leads to an above-average fulfilling life.
That's all very true, and you are blessed to realize it. On top of that, to add to the case for Christanity, the faith also provides a basis for large families, happy marriages and lives, world peace and in God an explanation for both the "why" of the universe, as science gives us only the "how".

May I suggest going to a mass and talking with a preist, so that they can talk with you.
Also, you might want to pick up and read some Augustine, Aquinas and/or C. S. Lewis. For people who want a basis in logic, reality and aren't persuaded by feelings alone, they are very good for getting guidance towards God.
May God bless you and keep you, and guide you towards Himself.

incidentally your old testament example is ludicrous, christ specifically refers to levitican law and then says "but i say to ye resist not evil" to contrast his teaching with the old teaching

you have been fed a pack of lies by a church that ignores the truth

EVery Sunday, temporary taiwanon. Wolfshiem is a yank and makes the best ones. But there's always a Euro who makes one while yanks are sleeping.

pic = Le Mans Cathedral

I'll follow up on what you've suggested, friend. Thank you.

123:5.10.Throughout his course of study Jesus learned much and derived great inspiration from the regular Sabbath sermons in the synagogue. It was customary to ask distinguished visitors, stopping over the Sabbath in Nazareth, to address the synagogue. As Jesus grew up, he heard many great thinkers of the entire Jewish world expound their views, and many also who were hardly orthodox Jews since the synagogue of Nazareth was an advanced and liberal center of Hebrew thought and culture.
123:5.11.When entering school at seven years (at this time the Jews had just inaugurated a compulsory education law), it was customary for the pupils to choose their "birthday text," a sort of golden rule to guide them throughout their studies, one upon which they often expatiated at their graduation when thirteen years old. The text which Jesus chose was from the Prophet Isaiah: "The spirit of the Lord God is upon me, for the Lord has anointed me; he has sent me to bring good news to the meek, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and to set the spiritual prisoners free."

Any italy bros here?

I have the Douay Rheims, and I value it's historicity, but god damn is it uncomfortable to read.

NAB is a bit of a mess, although with the RE it's not a complete dumpster fire.

I think the Original Jerusalem Bible was pretty poetic, but honestly the RSV-CE is pretty solid.

>incidentally your old testament example is ludicrous, christ specifically refers to levitican law and then says "but i say to ye resist not evil" to contrast his teaching with the old teaching
Matthew 5:17-20
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."
That entire part of the sermon on the mount is in noway undoing the OT, but clarifying it for the jews. For instance, verse 38-42 are dealing with the fact that the jews had used the OT to justify basically suing someone for everything they have (not much has changed with them, has it) for even the smalles of slights.

That's why the historical context is so important, because in that sermon Jesus os adressing issues that were going on in His times, perversions of the Old Testament by the jews.

>I know Christianity serves a good purpose, but can you tell me why I should take it literally (other than Pascal's wager)?
Hi user, I know this wasnt directed at me, but I would like to try to answer it.

Why you should take it literally.

This was a very difficult thing for me at the beginning. I was converted by the moral, intellectual and philosophical tradition of the Church first, and then when I had Faith in the teachings and those who successfully interpreted what Jesus commanded in the Bible, then I went back and read the Bible with Faith, and was able to believe.

Faith, as taught by the Church, is a supernatural quality. It is something that is subjective, internal, organic. It grows, and diminishes, depending on your actions. I would suggest prayer. Just something simple, short, whatever you are feeling right now, a problem you have. Maybe simply ask God, "God, why should I take you literally?" or "God, help me believe in you." He will answer you, in a way that you will recognize and understand.

Try to learn about the outcroppings of the faith. The good works and fruits that it has produced in the world. Things like - orphanages, hospitals, science, charity work, etc. These are the things commanded by God in the Bible, and good men have followed these orders, and good fruit has been made from them.

The logical process of God, the following of His equation, in a way.

Anyway, I hope this helps, friend.

God Bless.

And listen to this!

youtube.com/watch?v=g7BbncHyw9E

>NOT ALL

OF course Every Gnostic will readily admit that not every story is allegory. Unless it is VERY explicit like it is with Jesus parable of the fig tree or something then no it's not allegory.
Nothing is a figure of speech or allegory unless Scripture makes it plain

This is how all written works are interpreted not just Scripture

Brothers, every time I pray, I find I'm only asking things of the Lord, and I can't help but feel guilty because of that. How do I give back? What could I possibly have to offer in return?

Also, are there any femanons lurking? Out of curiosity about the demographics.

Pic related Las Lajas Sanctuary in Colombia

>I'm on a work trip to Taiwan for 3 months, and I don't know of any churches nearby. It'd be good to have this kind of contact with a Christian community while I'm in the midst of a foreign land.
What part of taiwan are you in? I'd be happy to try and find a church somewhere close by. 3 months is a long time to go without mass.

After the defeat of the Byzantines at Manziker, Constantinople was ripe for the conquest for the Saracens. If the Crusades had not been launched, Constantinople would have fell & the Saracens would have controlled the Bosphorus, & been able to launch raiding parties at will.

It was an act of brave charity for their fellow Europeans that saw the Crusades make for the Holy Land and have the fighting take place their.

tl:dr Crusaders were heroes

>take place their

This post here answers that in detail

Sorrry I meant
This is it

Fuck your god. Seriously. I was a good catholic. So was my wife.
We prayed and tithed and all the rest of it. Know how God payed us back for our unwavering devotion?
My wife got cervical cancer and we lost the ability to have children and a family. The chemo and radiation cured her cancer but gave her severe epilepsy. She slot wastes away before my eyes every day.
Fuck your god. He's a piece of shit

KING JAMES VERSION

It's by far the most popular translation on pol

Thanks for your input, user. It's really activating my almonds, but I think I'm getting somewhere lately.

I give you life, the universe, every experience you have ever had or will ever have and eternal life in a paradise with me should you so choose to enter it.
>fuck you this one unpleasant thing happened to me once!
You're like the teenager who hates his parents because they won't let him go to the party.

You can give back, by giving thanks. When you wake in the morning, give thanks to the Lord for this day. Before you eat, give thanks to the Lord for his bounty. Even when you suffer, give thanks to the Lord, for he suffered more for you and for eternal life.

You feeling guilty is a good thing I think. It means you know you should be doing more, that you arent jaded. You are growing in faith, I think.

Also, you can say the Morning Offering

O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer Thee all my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Thy Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for all my sins, for the intentions of all our associates, and in particular for the special intentions of our Holy Father for this month. Amen.

This is out of my Douay Rheims Bible. In my Catholic Catechism it says that we should say this every morning. I think that will help alleviate your guilty feelings :).

Dominus Vobiscum.

>I paid my shekels and I want X to happen but it didn't even though I did Y
Gee sounds an awful lot like Job
>I offered lambs, I was good to people but X didn't happen I got Z.

You know what is required is FAITH right?

Normie

Other than homosexual child rape, what does the church offer?

For you

cenzo

ave maria deus vult