Graffiti Artists Will Get Day in Court

archive.is/l0FCV

It was a crushing blow to nearly two dozen established graffiti artists when in 2013 the owner of the Queens building complex known as 5Pointz ordered a surprise nighttime whitewashing of their colorful murals, leaving them with little chance to document or save the spray-painted artwork that had attracted worldwide attention.

But now they will have their chance at payback in a place that many graffiti artists try to avoid: a courtroom.

This is no vandalism case in a criminal courthouse, but rather a federal lawsuit filed in 2013 by the 23 artists who painted regularly at 5Pointz, against its owner, Jerry Wolkoff, who ordered the artwork destroyed.

The artists scored an incremental legal victory on March 31 when Judge Frederic Block of Federal District Court in Brooklyn ruled that their case could have a jury trial.

The judge’s ruling offers the artists a chance to confront Mr. Wolkoff in court and to seek redress for painting over their work, said Jonathan Cohen, an artist who had curated the murals and helped organize the artists at 5Pointz since 2002.

Mr. Cohen said he was hopeful that the suit might become a landmark case to establish street art as legitimate contributions worthy of protection.
Mr. Cohen, known by his artist name Meres1, said he had hoped to photograph the art on the building’s walls and to remove much of it, because many of the murals were painted on siding panels or otherwise removable and “could have filled a museum somewhere.”

fuck the artists. if they wanted it preserved, they should have done on their own property

What if they have none ?

Streetart can be cool, but it should never be done on someone else's property without their permission. Those artists are assholes and the owner should press charges against them.

They they can do their work on a large canvas or sheet of cardboard like any other artist. Defacing another person's property is a violation of the NAP.

Then they shouldn't do it at all. That's like saying "I don't have a girlfriend so I'm going to rape your girlfriend"

Nice strawman
Try that argument again the day walls have grown vaginas and neurons that allow emotion and memory-storage

>some shitdick draws falic imagery on my wall
>wash it off
>get sued

The legitimazation of graffiti in the past 10 yrs is so fucking pozzed... EGGS stop niggering up literally everything.

>Mr. Cohen said he was hopeful that the suit might become a landmark case to establish street art as legitimate contributions worthy of protection.
>Mr. Cohen
>Cohen
Oy vey

Wait, so they painted on someone else's walls without permission and now they are suing the owner of the place? What the fuck?

yea wouldn't it be so annoying so have look at someone elses stupid shit over and over?

especially if it is so very fucking stupid and annoying

>(((cohen)))

>(((Wolkoff)))

>Street (((art)))

If you want to do art, get a canvas or some shit like based Bob Ross.

True, but if you look in the archive post, the "clean-up" attempt looks even worse than the graffiti. FAR worse.

>someone paints a giant angry nigger with money in his pockets on the side of your building
>you paint over it
>get sued by a jewish guy
>america

>graffiti
>(((art)))
Fuck off niggerjews.

This isnt art you degenerate spic.

And the owner of a property can paint it whatever color he wishes.

This is just drug addled niggers and spics with a kike lawyer trying to get gib me dats.

Just because your medium requires walls, doesn't mean you can use any wall you like.

Whats to stop them from buying wooden boards, spraying their own property or finding a spot where graffiti is allowed?

>he had hoped to photograph the art

Yeah, nobody carries cameras these days.......

>like based Bob Ross.

This.

R.I.P. God.