Save net neutrality

Save net neutrality.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network
openconnect.netflix.com/en/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I love how conservatives act like a particular sequence of 1s and 0s is no big deal but a particular arrangement of cells is a human being who has rights

this desu

fuck neocucks

>there is no difference between digital information and a human being
now thats retarded

Why? Are you against the free market or something?

Fuck off you nigger

not an argument

Impacting the physical world is all that matters. Your screen changes because of digits, just as a body changes because of pregnancy. You might as well debate the weather versus astronomy. They're all the results of physics. Personal interpretation of their outcomes doesn't affect what they are at the core.

What? The idea of net neutrality is the government impeding on the free market. If left alone theoretically you could get faster speeds at lower rates. Perhaps not with the pseudo monopoly in place right now.

headbutt a butter knife you neanderthal lemming.

Wtf I hate the free market now. Le Reddit told me we need more net neutrality regulations.

You know your on a website that will probably not exist if this happens.

limited bandwidth drives innovation. allowing an unbalanced distribution would cause innovation to cease and an internet traffic jams. talk to me about free market when you're syllabus wont load because everyone is watching netflix.

Net-neutrality is trading shitty ISP monopolies for shitty government.
Pro-tip they're the same thing

This anti-net neutrality=pro-status quo meme needs to fucking die.

Only retards who know jack shit about technology support muh Internet pipe equality.

I will bet you fifty thousand dollars this website will outlast the end of net neutrality.

How did both of you use the wrong 'your' lmfao

How do I know it's you're first day here?

Can people attend those congress meetings?

>thinking companies like Jewgle and Like noon aren't selling your informantion
It must be nice to be as ignorant as you faggot

dipshit
what are you, inbred?

guys, think for your fucking selves. the bandwidth is distributed evenly now. net neutrality goes away, bandwidth gets distributed based on the whim of the ISP. JUST. FUCKING. THINK.

thats not what net neutrality is about you ignorant monkey. this is why everything sucks.

Confirmed stupid fuck with no knowledge of networking. Verizon and others can hold Netflix to ransom because they control how big their backhaul pipes are. The standoff happened when the pipe between Verizon and Netflix's network provider was congested. Verizon said 'Pay us or weren't not upgrading this pipe'.

ISPs have full control today, and there are multiple 'lanes' already.

You've just outed yourself as a fucking moron. Bandwidth must be distributed evenly. Netflix gets the same bandwidth as everything else. "Lanes" are nothing compared to real throttling. And if you believe that ISP's already are in full control, why would you want to give them even more? Especially when that control risks the balance of the internet?
Fuck out of American affairs you inbred criminal.

>Impacting the physical world is all that matters
*tips Trilby*

>same bandwidth
No. No they fucking don't.

Verizon has different agreements with each peering provider and they all get different sized pipes. It's not the same agreement for each provider. Are you retarded? How can you not know this?

Level 3 and Hurricane Electric for example have two completely different agreements and pipe bandwidth amounts with Verizon. If for some reason the Level 3 pipe bursts to over 100% utilization then it starts slowing down for all sites that are connected to Level 3s transit network.

The problem was that Netflix's peering provider was over 100% utilization.

>Netflix gets the same bandwidth as everything else.

Why would I want that, though? I don't subscribe to them, but 40% of my ISP's capacity is spent servicing them. I'm better off when Netflix is forced to build a bypass and pass the costs along to its own customers rather than my ISP passing it off on me.

please post some sauce

>same bandwidth
meant same relative bandwidth.
you know what... fuck it! lets just fucking give all of the bandwidth to netflix and facebook! lets choke out everything that isn't profitable on the internet! i'm sick of being able to find real information and infinity-chan is pure aids. yeah.. dont forget that without net neutrality ISP's would also be able to just throttle the shit out of any differing political opinion.
please, user, just tell me. why are you against net neutrality?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

Maybe next time don't talk shit about stuff you don't understand.

thats the point. net neutrality is what forces netflix to do shit like that. without it, all of the bandwidth would just go to netflix and shit.
i've read that before. i was asking about the problem you mentioned.

You're so retarded you fall for liberal talking points with ease. The scenario you envision would never ever occur. Websites do not usually negotiate with Tier 1 network peering providers. They can't be forced out by ISPs because ISPs make agreements with Tier 1 providers for access to the Internet. There are several Tier 1 providers all competing heavily. They will always accept new customers because it is in their interest to do so.

Net neutrality means government interference in the Internet peering market, which is working fine as a free market right now. Bandwidth is cheaper than its ever been.

Your argument is that ISPs are the gatekeepers for website. That's a bullshit argument based on Democrat talking points. Tier 1 peering providers are the gatekeepers, and there is huge competition between them. Further, Tier 1 providers are not engaged in censorship.

I work for a small ISP, All bandwidth costs are handled by the fiber provider to major data centers which hold all of the larger servers and interconnections between them.

Most of them charge you on the particular level of bandwidth usage over a 24 hour period.

The Fiber backbone provider has to maintain a fast enough connection to the datacenter that the information is coming from and charges you a penalty for maxing out the connection constantly. This also causes an issue when other data coming from the same region is on that same link causing an overall slowdown.

The Fiber provider was hitting verizon and it was costing them so they limited the traffic coming from Netflix and the quality suffered making thier VOD service more attractive. When people complained they threw Netflix under the bus and demanded more money.

Anyone who can't understand this needs to off themselves

No

Oh look, the one good thing Trump has done since being elected!

>b-but muh tiered lanes!
>>>/reddit/

Netflix was throttled by their own business partner Cogent. It was a conspiracy to prevent Netflix from paying their fair share by making a false flag and pushing net neutrality legislation. Cogent testified in front of Congress that they throttled Netflix, not Comcast.

You're so paranoid that you take corporate lies like pills. The government isn't interfering in the peering market, which is working as a free market right now. If websites don't negotiate with tier 1, then that would totally allow for ISP censorship. As it stands, the FCC doesn't censor anything on the internet. All they do is ensure that ISP's don't throttle anything. This really doesn't have anything to do with tier 1. that was never my argument. my argument is that net neutrality is important because giving ISP's the power to freely distribute bandwidth at will will result in the death of the internet.

You're ignoring the fact that Netflix was asked to foot the bill for the extra bandwidth and they refused, which started the net neutrality shilling on reddit.

Yeah sure, you might have some users foot the extra money for the VOD service, but it ultimately hurts Netflix profits because the incentive to keep a Netflix subscription drops significantly.

Ultimately, the lack of "net neutrality" is simply a cost that Netflix will incur, not the user, unless Netflix ups the subscription price to reflect the real market environment.

yes

This guy gets it

that guy is a tard and so are you

If you don't think the VOD competition had cable companies prioritizing traffic you are deluded.

I'm talking Congressional testimony proving that Netflix lied so that they could save money, at the same time handing Obama a win for big government.

openconnect.netflix.com/en/

They are avoiding to pay by sending these out to ISPs That way the content is hosted directly and the overflow goes through the backbone. We are apprently too small to get one (yet), but, it would cut our bandwidth costs drastically,.

Back on point the net neutrality argument is moot at this point, it's just cash grab for advertisers and data mining.

big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness big government, big buisness

Business cannot compel, government can. It is NOT equivalent.

>Business cannot compel
it can if it owns the internet retard

>those votes
>literally one party vs the other

pick a side or die

The Internet is not water. It is not an essential of life. It is not nationalized now and it shouldn't be. The innovation was possible in the first place because of freedom, not because of regulations. You are a fucking thief, you want to steal my tax dollars to subsidize your internet usage! And guess what: net neutrality is going to die, again, very soon, and everything is going to be fine.

no, fuck you. the entire financial system of the world runs off the internet. it is now essential.

I didn't have the internet when I was a kid and the world still functioned just fine. Your argument is invalid.

Install https everywhere extension, ISP cannot snoop on your shit. They cannot break AES encryption

this is about preserving bandwidth
as a college student, I need the internet. thus, I am compelled.

You aren't a very well-educated student if you can't understand the difference between essentials and wants. People went to college before the internet existed you ignorant fool.

Almost no one had cars in 1900, but you better believe the world depended on them by 1930.

yeah, only now, literally all of the classes require internet access. dumb fucking namefag.