CATHOLIC GENERAL

CATHOLIC GENERAL
>IT'S HOLY WEEK SO LET'S SEE HOW CATHOLIC GENERALS DO ON NON-SUNDAYS

Everyone is welcome.
Discuss news, ask question, give answers, be kind to one another, and above all assist one another in living the virtuous life.

Today is Wednesday of Holy Week
Here are your daily readings
usccb.org/bible/readings/041217.cfm

Community links, such as recommended media, are now below in pastebin links. Remember to recommend things to add to the lists!
>Catholic Encyclopedia
newadvent.org/
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.K)
lms.org.uk/mass-listings
>Directory for Finding a Latin Mass (U.S/Can)
ecclesiadei.org/masses.cfm
>Laudate App
play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aycka.apps.MassReadings&hl=en
>Recommended Movies
pastebin.com/xAL9w4fk
>Recommended Books
pastebin.com/K8DUUPdC
>Recommended Music
pastebin.com/dgqjiSgs
>Beauty of Creation
pastebin.com/VKGZEvXK
>Tales of Love and Virtue
pastebin.com/Qt3RUsXA

Other urls found in this thread:

catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/why-is-it-a-mortal-sin-to-miss-mass
rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/04/sspx-prelature-closer-than-ever-even.html#sthash.yZB8A4nX.dpuf
lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-burke-highly-questionable-to-say-islam-worships-christian-god-and
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_politics_in_the_United_States#Party_affiliation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_in_the_United_States#Catholicism_by_state
catholic.com/video/are-jesus-and-michael-the-archangel-the-same-being
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_doctrine
youtube.com/watch?v=dTnxFgmQLKc
en.radiovaticana.va/news/2017/03/21/pope_the_confessional_is_not__the_dry_cleaners/1300117
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Shouldn't you be out kissing some Muslim's feet?

Nah, man, we're trying to save Europe.

Bump! nice work you are doing over here! Take care lad

Slow day

So is it true that it is a mortal sin to miss mass on Sunday
Because I know a lot of Other Catholics who go to mass on Saturdays instead

DEUS VULT

first thoughts:
>wow that's cool looking
>i can read some of that, wonder what it says
then i noticed how small the people were, pic related

is Jesus michael the archangel?

Yes. But the church does say that dire situations can justify missing it.
catholic.com/magazine/print-edition/why-is-it-a-mortal-sin-to-miss-mass

I can do an art dump if you'd like. Remember that I cannot bump my own thread though.
That good with you?

Two different individuals.

What are your thoughts on Jordan B. Peterson?

So if you go Saturday evening but not Sunday, are you sinning?

how do you know? is he Jesus' partner or something? in the book of daniel he sounds exactly like Jesus

bump

bump

Mass on Saturday evening is considered the vigil Mass for the holy day Sunday. If you went to Mass Saturday morning, it's a different liturgy and doesnt count. It's like going to Christmas Eve mass and satisfying the holy day.

I do not know much of him. I do thing well of him as he promotes self-improvement but besides that all I've seen just makes him out to be a by-the-book perennialist and people get woo'd by that because they're never heard of it until they saw him. Oh, and his consistent lack of clarity through use of metaphors and rambling.

I'm willing to change as I'm more aware of him though.

Just personal thoughts.

By not upholding the Lord's Day, yes, unless you are in a situation in which you cannot attend. The link I gave you explains more.
Nah, m8.

cuckpope has ruined the religion. He single handedly turned Catholicism from the One True Religion into a shitlib piece of garbage and he made born again evangelical christianity the only viable alternative. Sad!

>Catholic Traditionalism on the rise
>pope ruined everything

nope

Francis blows...no doubt about it. But he didn't do shit to the religion. It's up to you if you want to be a cuck and not do what you have to do. Don't get me wrong, it sucks to feel like you're out there swinging in the wind when the pope of all people should have your back. However that's the hand our generation was dealt - gotta sack up and rebuild

explain to me then who is michael

“At that time there shall arise Michael,
the great prince,
guardian of your people;
It shall be a time unsurpassed in distress
since the nation began until that time.
At that time your people shall escape,
everyone who is found written in the book.[a]
2 Many of those who sleep[b]
in the dust of the earth shall awake;
Some to everlasting life,
others to reproach and everlasting disgrace.
3 But those with insight shall shine brightly
like the splendor of the firmament,
And those who lead the many to justice
shall be like the stars[c] forever.
4 “As for you, Daniel, keep secret the message and seal the book until the end time; many shall wander aimlessly and evil shall increase.”

this is scripture

>born again evangelical Christianity

No such thing.

michael is the leader of the heavenly army of angels in revelation

I'm a traditional, conservative Lutheran who thinks it's important for all Christians to put aside our differences in times of crisis. I appreciate your Catholic General threads.

I disagree with the British user who's obsessed with Irenaeus and the early church fathers, though.

ok...he just sounds like Jesus too

The early church fathers are critical to our understanding of scripture and tradition and provide the foundation for modern theology

Nope...Jesus is the lamb in revelation

How do I become Christian?
I went to church as a kid but couldn't take it seriously (being distracted and all) and for majority of my life I haven't been able to believe in God. I just don't know where to start or how or anything. Help?

Ahem. Most of Georgia, except maybe me and some stray Chaldeans, is Orthodox (which I dig, too, despite our disagreements, but still). You need a different flag, man.

got it...jehova's witnesses say michael is another name for jesus

Michael is the leader of the Heavenly Host, him acting in accordance with Christ's will would be expected.

Flag related. WTF is wrong with you?

Go to your local parish church and say just that to the priest. If you've received the sacraments already then they'll give you some guidance. If you haven't, then they'll help you start the process of working toward them

Yeah...jehovas witness was founded in the late 1800s in Pittsburgh...I wouldn't get too hung up on their interpretation of anything

>Catholic Traditionalism on the rise

Those traditional catholics like John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi and every other catholic democrat who will fight with their last breath to keep abortion legal?

I'll concede that catholicism is on the rise in the U.S.....but it's due to the influx of hispanics, who (((coincidentally))) all register dem and vote dem lockstep, which propagates further expansion of abortion rights, gay rights, tranny rights.

So what's the benefit of a rise in catholicism if it simply leads to more liberal/"progressive" policies being enacted?

i know lol but michael is a mystery

Are you JW?
Anyway, the line doesn't say much that is exclusive to Jesus. Jesus is king, not a "great prince" in any regard. Further, it doesn't say that Michael has a role in judgement, just that he arises at the same time.

>mfw I was private schooled and this emblem was on my uniform every day.

eh, i wouldn't say that..lots of catholics are right wing..at least where i am from

>he turned catholicism from the one true religion into a shitlib piece of garbage

The previous Pope covered up child sex crimes you fucking retard. Your religion was shit to begin with.

>christianity is not submissive
The teaching of the Cross is that bearing inequities and abandoning the desire for worldly power is rewarded with new life and faith. Jesus's wrath against the money changers was God's wrath, and when Peter attempts to wield that in Gethsemene Jesus uses a miracle to reverse that effect. Why do you think that turn the other cheek is a saying at all?

Luke 4:5-8 And he led Him up and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. 6 And the devil said to Him, “I will give You all this domain and its glory; for it has been handed over to me, and I give it to whomever I wish. 7 “Therefore if You worship before me, it shall all be Yours.” 8 Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY.’”

Christianity should not bend to the tastes of a collection of hateful nationalists nor to violent fundamentalists, but only to the tastes of Christ, no matter what sacrifices that entails.

no, i am catholic

Jesus calls himself the prince of peace though

and i see now. i just want more explanation cuz michael has always been a mystery

and i'll add that i am from a 98% hispanic city

I would never argue that they're not. I just don't like the British guy who roams Sup Forums for every christian thread.

There are some right wing/conservative/republican catholics (scalia/alito/thomas/etc), but they're more of an exception than the rule.

The main reason being is that when people think of Republicans, they think "fuck the poor" so if somebody says they're a Catholic Republican, people tend to think that they're a "fake" catholic essentially.

So it's almost entirely economic that people associate "good catholics" with the democrats, because of muh social programs and muh I love the poor.

You bring up the "good" catholic democrats killing babies and there's a complete disconnect, as if you can be a "good" catholic while signing off on bills that expand abortion/etc.

idk man, i went to catholic school for 11 years ..nearly all students & their parents are right wing. and i'm from 98% hispanic city. i think liberal catholics are the minority

>current year
>still being cuckolic
>mandatory to love sucking muslim dicks
>mandatory to love homos
>mandatory to watch as your wife is being raped and beheaded by Ahmeds
>mandatory to enjoy Muslim prayers at St.Peter's square

Anyone who is still catholic should kill himself and Vatican should be nuked.

Jesus said the exact opposite.
>Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
>"But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

That's why the Church is called "The Church militant". Because a Christian shouldn't tolerate evil, a Christian should kill evil everywhere he sees it. Kill it literally, with a weapon.

That's why the based Orthodox Church still blesses weapons

He means to just incite people constantly rather than actually move discussion forward. It's terrible.
Either way, I do thank you and we'd appreciate your comments and criticisms as well. Through discourse we can find truth better.

Well Catholic parishes (churches) have a conversion class they do called RCIA (rite of catholic initiation for adults). It is basically Intro to Catholicism class where you can ask as much as you like as well. It ends at Easter so you have bad timing here but in regards to basic doctrines we can definitely assist you if you give us some understanding of what you know of Christianity (please do, I'd be happy to help) and you'd have to consult church leadership to see if you can get some intro into the church life separate from RCIA. Or ask us random questions.

>what is figurative language

he is the prince of peace

>Those traditional catholics like John Kerry and Nancy Pelosi...

m8...

The messiah is called the Prince of Peace in Isaiah. Jesus only calls himself the messiah.

You're all good though, man, I don't mean to accuse you at all. JWs just think that Jesus and Michael are the same so I'm curious if you were one. Feel free to question more as you want.

That quote is not about Jesus. It's from Isaiah, who was a kike prophet and he spoke about the kike messiah. Jesus isn't the messiah the kikes expect, simply because they are supposed to openly rule over the goyim when their messiah comes.

Good news on the SSPX front, Catholads

>For the Bergoglian website Faro di Roma, in an article dated Apr. 10, 2017, the announcement of the establishment of the possible personal prelature of the SSPX/FSSPX "could take place in Fatima, next May 13th." -
rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/04/sspx-prelature-closer-than-ever-even.html#sthash.yZB8A4nX.dpuf

Im Catholic but the church history is very troublesome for me.

They teach "as the church has always taught " but they clearly have 180'd on stuff and then call it development of doctrine.

First Christian leaders got brutally martyred and generally denied earthly kingdoms. First popes live incredibly lavish lives and execute nonbelievers with the same fervor the original Christians were killed.

I don't mean to cause scandal and I believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings but Idk about the church.

Also
>people of the book
>we believe in the same god
>Jesus is god
>muslims deny this
>but still the same god?

So the new pope being an SJW commie and a traitor of all Christians is not troublesome for you? But some ancient popes living a lavish lifestyle is?

Nice.

>Why do you think that turn the other cheek is a saying at all?

Pic related.

>Christianity should not bend to the tastes of a collection of hateful nationalists nor to violent fundamentalists, but only to the tastes of Christ, no matter what sacrifices that entails.

And this is true but I find you miss where the teachings of Christ and the actions of nationalists coincide (I'm Catholic so speaking of fundamentalism won't sit well with me anyway). To fight sin in the community naturally forms and defends a Christian nation.

user, remember a lot of those '180s' are merely opinions of people in the Church, not the Church itself.

To answer your green text, even Cardinals voice this concern, but as he says, many of these things aren't written in 'a dogmatic document' lifesitenews.com/news/cardinal-burke-highly-questionable-to-say-islam-worships-christian-god-and

>Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
So they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That is enough,” He answered.

Those around Jesus saw what was about to happen and said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.

But Jesus answered, “NO MORE OF THIS!” And He touched the man’s ear and healed him.

Don't pervert the Bible for the sake of warmongering and don't deny the prophecy of the Messiah because Jesus was not the earthly warrior the Israielites expected, a theme clearly expounded in the New Testament. Your hatred of this world has lead you to hate God's children, not just the Jews or the Muslims or the Catholics but nearly all of mankind. Remember Christ hated the world too, but he came to save it not by the sword but by the cross.

>Anyone who is still catholic should kill himself and Vatican should be nuked.

The comment Francis had with homosexuals is far more nuanced than many outsiders even note but it should be no surprise that Sup Forums is not happy with the current pope. But I do realize the WORST thing people could do is move away from Catholicism because they don't like the current person in leadership.
It's like your current politics matters more to you than truth.

To all the white Aryan Catholics;
your Pope is a communist who kisses Islamic feet and tells you to build bridges for them and tear down your protective walls. He even wants you to have less children to mainatin a "sustainable" world. Pure left wing Kike non sense.

Come home to Mormonism white man
>our prophets are white
>our apostles are white
>our Jesus is white
>we have lots of white babies
>we don't tolerate degeneracy.

yeah i meant isaiah called him that...

and yea i know JW's believe that but i thought maybe they were onto something...

oh shut up. isaiah was one of the greatest prophets.

Mormonism is nonsense.

Im not a huge fan either.

Im just saying theres a track record of this.
>usury
>slavery
>church vs state power
>confession practices

I love the beauty of the church but I can't help but overlook some glaring inconsistencies.

Im stuck because I don't by sola fide or sola scriptura, I believe in tradition, but Idk man

This image never won't make me smile.

Then it makes me feel down since too big a chunk of this board are a part of the "shut up" crowd.

>i think liberal catholics are the minority

Definitely not a minority in terms of politics/voters and elected politicians.

>"According to Dr. John Green of University of Akron, "There isn't a Catholic vote anymore; there are several Catholic votes." A survey conducted by the Gallup organization in 2009 revealed that, despite the opposition of the Church to abortion and embryonic stem-cell research, there is no significant difference between the opinions of Catholics and non-Catholics on these questions."

If liberal catholics were a minority, then it would be like 70-30 or even 60-40 instead of consistently ~50/50 on issues like abortion, which is essentially a coin toss.

Clinton and Kaine ran on a platform to repeal the Hyde Amendment, which would basically have forced all catholics, not just the liberal ones, to have their tax dollars used to fund abortion. And yet they still got 47% of the total Catholic vote.

That is way too high a percentage for supposedly conservative-majority catholics, which again comes down to hispanics voting almost exclusively democrat because they're afraid the evil republicans will deport their illegal immigrant relatives.

So even if you give hispanic catholics the benefit of the doubt and say they're only voting democrat because they're afraid of deportations, the end result is the same: shitlib policies become enacted. Similarly, John Kerry's line in the 2004 debate was basically "while I find abortion wrong morally, I can't impose my personal religious views on the rest of the country."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_politics_in_the_United_States#Party_affiliation

Additionally, the states with the most catholics are also the most liberal/democrat (Massachusetts/Rhode Island), while the states with the least catholics are the most conservative/republican (Alabama/West Virginia).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_in_the_United_States#Catholicism_by_state

Naw that's reserved for our cuck of a pope

ok but they are politicians. every catholic i know is more traditional and right wing.

i'd say 23% of the catholics who voted hillary aren't REALLY catholics but identify as that

like i said, vast VAST majority of my catholic school classmates are right wing

and we are hispanics..i am hispanic dude.

Oh okay

and yet we are having 5+ children and we keep growing and growing. Demographics are key. Catholics just aren't haven't babies like they used to.

>Islam
>Mormonism
pick one white man

You could say the same thing about a lot of encyclicals but the wording is so legalistic and confusing that its hard to tell which teachings are actually central to tue faith.

Ibfallibilty has only been invoked twice in the past 200 years as far as i know via ex cathedra and eccumenical councils. The whole blending of extraordinary and ordinary magisterium becomes very confusing when it comes to determining what core tenets are.

Liberal Catholics want a no rules, radtrads want middle ages. I think there is probably a via media

>But Jesus answered, “NO MORE OF THIS!” And He touched the man’s ear and healed him.

Only because the servant literally dindu nuffin. Jesus himself took the whip and whipped the kikes in the Temple.

>and don't deny the prophecy of the Messiah because Jesus was not the earthly warrior the Israielites expected,
Jesus is the messiah, but not THE messiah of the old testament. The messiah of the old testament is the antichrist - the king of kings loved by all, sitting at the throne on the mount Zion, to rule all earth, so every Jew owns 2700 gentile slaves and doesn't have to work ever again.

>but he came to save it not by the sword but by the cross.
He actually beat people up and told the apostles to buy swords.

Because the meek will not inherit the earth. If you don't kill the evil, it wins. As you're seeing now the evil is now within the very Church, that is filled with pedos, homos, communists and all sorts of abominations bringing only death and decay and packaging them into words like "peace" and "love".

>
oh shut up. isaiah was one of the greatest prophets.
He was a kike, m8. And he's not canon, because Jesus made the Old Testament invalid. Basically everything the kikes said is moot.

>development of doctrine
There is no such thing and anyone proclaiming such are rightfully done away with as being modernist.

>First Christian leaders got brutally martyred and generally denied earthly kingdoms. First popes live incredibly lavish lives and execute nonbelievers with the same fervor the original Christians were killed.

The first Christians martyr themselves for what is right and the later popes execute others who mean to work against what is right. There is no inconsistency in this aspect of what you said, though individual cases of execution have lots of particulars to account for. In terms of lavishness, this is a fault of those popes. It is not inherently bad to not be in poverty but to turn that into self-indulgence is evil.

>we believe the same god

People spout this a lot. Technically, they do claim to understand the same figure historically - "the god of Abraham" - but its understood pretty differently so it becomes a question of how to discern identity.

COOL.

this much delusion. gtfo

The point I'm trying to get across is that while you and your class may be catholic and conservative and hispanic.....there's probably 5 other public schools filled to the brim with liberal catholic hispanics who, while they identify as catholic, don't give 2 shits about the religion, its values, etc. and will grow up to register and vote lockstep dem every election.

It's essentially like the jew demographics for the last election, while Orthodox Jews overwhelmingly voted Trump....the total majority of jews voted overwhelmingly for Clinton.

To put it another way, if you have 100 catholics and 100 jews......~50 of the catholics give a shit about their religion and ~50 don't.......~25 jews give a shit about their relgion and ~75 don't.

You can dissect that and narrow it down as "well, the REAL catholics who give a shit about their religion vote conservative/republican" but then you're basically just restating the data in a different way....50% of catholics are REAL catholics and 50% aren't.

>Demographics are key.

>1.2 billion Roman Catholics
>15.8 million Mormons

Well, stay cucked, m8. Don't say I didn't warn you when you're beheaded, because the Islamists are holding open prayers in Vatican now and the cardinals are applauding them.

Sola scriptura is tradition. It doesn't mean what Catholics say it means or what some backwater hillbilly fundamentalists say it means. If you're really interested in sola scriptura, ask a traditional lutheran.

Admittedly, a lot of this has become corrupted over time. Same with the word, evangelical, btw.

But this is mainly a Catholic thread and I'm not going to hijack it.

>guys lets completely lose our traditions and history because this one group is totally white
>don't you want that

No.

It's good man.
I'd recommend this.
catholic.com/video/are-jesus-and-michael-the-archangel-the-same-being

Sadly, but we are turning around.

What does sola scriptura mean?

If you mind me asking, what is Sola Scriptura to a Traditional Lutheran then?

God isn't real

I can just smell the Axe

>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_doctrine

Keep saying that, maybe you can make your self deny the truth

youtube.com/watch?v=dTnxFgmQLKc

>Pic related
Good read. The first post there is sensible, I make this same point in attempting to get him to see the humanity in the "kikes." The point on exodus seems a bit of a reach, the point on the romans moreso, but it all emphasizes that the general cause for division is regarding your opponent as less than fully human. However, this does not excuse violence against someone else, which Jesus forbade in Gethsemene. As Christ said before sending his Apostles to perform miracles, "Be as wise as serpents, yet as innocent as doves."
Also I know some like to deny this given the context of Jewish citizenship in ancient times, but I still take the commandment "do not kill" as seriously as possible.

>To fight sin in the community naturally forms and defends a Christian nation.
This is not what I object too, I simply object when it leads to persecution and a refusal to see someone as God's child, which even this thread demonstrates is a common symptom of nationalism.

>told the apostles to buy swords.
You shouldn't post against points that have been addressed. Jesus said that two swords was enough not two lines down. As for the whipping, full authority is given to God to cleanse his temple, yet a whip is a tool of reproach, not slaughter. If Jesus thought that the sword was the solution he would have taken up the sword.

>Because the meek will not inherit the earth.
I'm surprised that a Christian would consciously invert Christ's word's in order to defend Christ. If those are the depths you're willing to sink to to defend your precious world than an anonymous poster won't be able to convince you, but I pray that Christ will.

Ah, well this is just semantics then. What they call development of doctrine I'd call the clarification of doctrine and what I'd call the development of doctrine they'd call the evolution of doctrine.
>this user
pls

>guys lets completely lose our traditions and history

The pope is already doing that without any outside help. You will soon be expected to pray to Allah.

ok i understand, i guess when you practice what you preach, you become conservative, but otherwise you're a liberal under the guise of virtue signaling? because it is hip to be virtuous but un-hip to be christian. so while 47% of catholics vote for hillary, it isn't a problem with catholicism but with the people who practice it. ok i got you

Fuck off, Wolfy. Go to where you belong

>1.2 billion Roman Catholics
1.1 billion since your last post
>15.8 million Mormons
15.9 million since your last post
Islam is overtaking Christianity soon due to Catholic lower birth rates and degeneracy. You want to stay Christian and be a fertile and non degenerate people? Look no further than Mormonism.

that will never happen, and yea this pope is way too weak on islam, but even if that did happen. God's will. but i guess you don't know about that since u throw out old testament which Jesus always spoke of

Don't forget to watch the Papal mass on Palm Sunday to be forgiven at a discount rate.

But then again:
>en.radiovaticana.va/news/2017/03/21/pope_the_confessional_is_not__the_dry_cleaners/1300117

More corruption of the catholic church.

And daily reminder that Pope prays only for Muslims and didn't even make a statement against the recent mass murders of Christians in Egypt.