I don't know where else to post this so I'll post it here

I don't know where else to post this so I'll post it here.
Could terraforming massive rivers from the borders of Australia all the way to the center of it make the vast deserts a habitable zone?
I know it would take a lot of manpower and resources, but could this theoretically work?

Other urls found in this thread:

dezeen.com/2016/05/05/united-arab-emirates-uae-plans-man-made-mountain-increase-rainfall-cloud-seeding/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradfield_Scheme
nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants
youtube.com/watch?v=tatl1PBYim4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Isn't the reason Europe is so habitable is because of the many lakes and rivers it has? so in theory if we do it with another continent it could make it habitable, right?

Rivers flow out to sea.

I've had the same thought

Yeah sorry I just did a quick thing in paint and didn't really take much notice.

It may increase rainfall, but it will create hyper saline lakes do to evaporation so no inland fishing.

you want to irrigate the desert with seawater?

Are you mad ?

>Implying abbos wouldn't exploit and ruin it.

>Geoengineering rivers from a fucking ocean
>What could possibly go wrong

no but burning forests could work

Salt production

Where else would a river come from?

Due to polar magnetism effects, no? One would think one side would be feasible. Like, the Mississippi flows south, so why not northward rivers down under?

>terraform

Terraform means to make the land earthlike

Are you guys implying what I think you are?

>What is rain?

The rivers have to have water to flow into them. There isn't enough precipitation for there to be rivers leading from the Australian interior.

You'd be better off trying to build massive artificial mountains that would encourage rainfall in the more arid regions.

Look what the UAE is looking ot maybe do:
dezeen.com/2016/05/05/united-arab-emirates-uae-plans-man-made-mountain-increase-rainfall-cloud-seeding/

Would be a massive undertaking though.

please be a troll

I think in California 'Death Valley' and places like Israel dead sea, we should be a pipe to the ocean and use syphon technique to fill it up with water.

My vote is to dredge a HUUUUGE lake on the west side of Straya', then fill it up with sea-water then dam/trap it in. Then, de-salinate and sell the salt and then enjoy the beautiful rains! I could see a mass 'seed campaign' where planes drop seeds all over.

As long as they continually let down teh dam for new water, it's sustainable. Maybe a 2-stage process for desalination.

Doesn't rain come from the ocean as well?
Check mate

>when the Vegemite hits you

Magnetism?
No, Gravity.

If the land is at a lower elevation to the water then it's under it.

>Due to polar magnetism effects, no?

water flows downhill you fucking mongoloid

wat. There's many places inbetween minnesota and Mississippi in the river where the sea-level is -0

There was talk by the British of doing this exact thing. Originally, they wanted to construct a large inland sea to increase the amount of rainfall in the area. If I remember correctly, the center of Australia near Lake Eyre is below water level and the lowest point of Australia.

The theory was that by building a canal or continual water area, it would increase rainfall, allow more vegetation to be planted, and then the vegetation would change the environment. This has been proven to work and it is how we combat desertification.

Unfortunately, the cost would be too large. The australian population is too small and environmental organizations would be pissed to hear about any ecological changes in that area.

Did you even think this through for a second before you decided to post it?

Since I hate vague posts, I'll elaborate. Not only would that cost a shit load, but you'd have to constantly keep pumping water into it since we can infer there isn't enough precipitation to sustain such a water body because there isn't one there already, plus what do you want to accomplish? What OP wants, to make a place lush with plant growth? Because I have a spoiler for you: salt water isn't good for plants.

ah, I found it. It was called the Bradfield Scheme.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradfield_Scheme

Needs rainfall
Silver nitrate seeding would work but is prohibitively expensive
Creating a mountain would be an expensive one time cost that would cause rainfall on the wind-facing side

>Could terraforming massive rivers from the borders of Australia all the way to the center of it make the vast deserts a habitable zone?
>I know it would take a lot of manpower and resources, but could this theoretically work?
Most of the inland is above sea level by quite a bit though..

Well, if we were talking sweet water- then yes.

It what you drew were rivers that spring from the continents inner zones, it'd make sense, of course. Digging channels from the sea inwards wouldn't.

The only thing you could grow with salt-water would be sea-weeds and stuff and I for one don]t see a way to effectively turn all that salt-water into drinking water...

>The australian population is too small and environmental organizations would be pissed to hear about any ecological changes in that area.
its actually leftists going on about how aboriginal carvings would be destroyed

And guess what happens in that case? The water pools. It collects and collects and collects into giant bodies of waters call lakes. Then eventually the water gets so high, it finds an outlet and begins flowing again.

Fuck off, we are full.
All this is, is a globalist ploy to import more shitskins in to our country.

Kill yourself.

There are tons of rivers that flow north, the nile being the most famous probably. it has nothing to do with geomagnetism and everything to do with the elevation of the land as the river was forming.

please be bait...

They must have been filled up by water, because water flow downwards because of gravity. The Mississippi River is in the middle of the Mississippi valley, which is why tributaries from both the east and the west side flow into it. The continent also slowly decreases in elevation along the Mississippi River area as you go south, which is why the water flows into the Gulf of Mexico

>Could terraforming massive rivers from the borders of Australia all the way to the center of it make the vast deserts a habitable zone?

Finish the NBN first faggot.

It looks like those mountains might cause most moisture to drip before reaching the interior. Level them off by an amount and you will get rain

Hey strayans, tell me about Tasmania. What happens there?

see

Incest, whinging, and brain drain.

All the more reason to do it.

implying theres any brain to drain

>In 1947, W.H.R. Nimmo, conducted a critical review of the scheme.[5] He proved that Bradfield's estimates of the amount of water available from the easterly flowing rivers were about two and half times greater than it actually was. The error was attributed to the methodology used to calculate flow estimates was based on German rivers where the average temperature was much less than in northern Australia
:(

GTFO - We're FULL
> saged

fuck...

also I just looked at the location of Australia's artesian basin and I think it would overlap with the inland, if there was one to be created near the lake. You would effectively be destroying your major source of fresh water.

Even if you could get fresh water into the Australian interior, you still have the problem of dead soil. Most of the nutrients were long ago depleted. Add water and you're not going to get lush vegetation, you're going to get mud. You need to find a way to reinvigorate the soil. In nature this happens several ways, the most common being decaying organic matter or volcanic ash. You can't get enough organic matter to rebuild the soil unless you're willing to use an iterative approach that would take several millennia. So what you need instead is to pop open a hole in the Earth's crust to create a volcano.

You don't understand how rivers work

No I don't. Lol

Are you sure the soil is that fucked? I think the primary problem is actually just the heat and lack of water.

sweetie...

the real way to do it is two-pronged.

1. You need plants that grab and keep moisture and can survive in sand while also producing some kind of canopy that shades the earth.
2. You need to give these plants moisture in some way.
3. You provide that moisture by blowing wet ocean air at them using a specially-built self-powered fan floating in the ocean. Spend 10 billion and build 100,000 of them, create a new wind current that blows over the desert.

Result: After 1000-10000 years, you'll have cool soil under a canopy and congrats now its almost arable land (with dead sand under the 6" of soil, and the soil will be destroyed in under 10 years because it won't have white farmers taking care of it).

That big brown patch in the middle of Australia is mostly below sea level.

>I know it would take a lot of manpower and resources, but could this theoretically work?
Partially cunt, but you wouldn't have that much evaporation from a few poxy wee rivers cunt. You'd need like wind turbines pumping saltwater into the air to evaporate, and a couple bulldozers behind to gather up all the salt they generate. Listen, you'd want to study the prevailing winds, cunt, and be sure to consider the impact of any terraformation works you undertake on the continent, cunt, before you even begin, cunt.

The thing to keep in mind is that water likes salt, while water doesn't desalinate without massive inputs of energy, right cunt? At the same time Straya has massive amounts of energy just going to waste only just making you sweat, right, cunt?
Maths would be your friend figuring out where to go from there, cunt. But land and food is so cheap right now, and good workers so expensive, that I think that irrigation works would probably hardly be worth it, see, cunt?

>mostly below sea level
No it isn't.

>>ifgodprovidesrainandweatherchanges.png

If you look pic related, this is ayers rock after a week or so of out of the ordinary rain
Truly beautiful, the desert gets real green when it gets the odd rainfall

yeah but sadly inland australia gets no fucking rain, and is so hot the water that falls there doesn't stick around long.

snowfall on mountains

Through dams?

Yeah cunt, I got it.

goddamn upside down leafs

There's already too much salt in the underground water table, flooding the place with seawater wouldn't help.

Let's build a 15,000 foot wall in the middle of Australia, to irrigate the windward side of the country

That would destroy north america. The dust from australia deserts is carried to south america and supports the environment of the amazon forest

this is good bait

It's not. Here's an article about the Saharan dust and how it feeds the Amazon rainforest. Australian deserts perform in the same way.

nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants

huh. wow that's pretty cool. so each time i fart a bit of my ass-gas is shitposting some hue?

No.
Land is higher than sea level.
Water flows from higher level to lower level.
So this would be impossible.

Water freezing on mountain tops creates most of the worlds rivers.

No, you need a fresh water source going into the sea, not salt water going into the land. You need a big mountain with a lot of snow/ice.

Abos would claim muh sacred land and shut down any project.

Plus you have to pay abbos shitloads to do anything on "their land". When they were building a new railroad in the middle of australia, they paid some abbo $1000 a day to walk along infront of the construction to look for old bones and shit. If he found any, they had to re route the tracks to go around them. I dont understand why we pander to 2% of the population that contribute nothing and are a huge burden on society.

Bleeding heart faggots is why.

MUH LAND, MUH LAND BITCH. Get of there suck me off. Dumb dog. Get of there suck me of. DUH DUH. I thought so bitch, yeah yeah, bitch. Oooh suck me off at the next station please, suck my dick so hard and i'll say yeah yeah. Bitch. Thats what I thought bitch, ya dumb dog. Next time you've got something to say, say it right nigga.

And where would the fresh water come from for the rivers? Australia's Aridity problem is not enough rainfall.

I apologise for the trigger word that I used in my original post. I'll be sure to be more careful next time upon posting.

youtube.com/watch?v=tatl1PBYim4

Water would evaporate, creating a more humid environment

Alright since nobody is giving you any legitimate answers

1. The water will most likely drain right through the soil and into the water table without ever pooling. You would need to cover an area with organic matter or clay.

2. If you used salt water you very well could end up with a dead sea situation where the sea water evaporates faster than it is replenished. If that happened the area would be fucked forever.

3. Its completely possible that you still will not get any more rain water.

space for more gooks and abbos

no no silly faggot, dragging useless salt water hundreds of miles inland without any plan for desalinization would totally work wonders for the continent

with all the shitty leaf posts we have people have forgotten about quality australian shitposting

If we're talking about increasing rainfall in the arid regions, wouldn't cloud seeding work?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_seeding

Don't know if you know this but we have next to no mountains m8

Yea only in the SE where all the pozzed ausniggers live right?

OP is bang on. We will do this. You guys have a petrodollar mentality. Oil is shit. It's been obsolete since the 1960s. E=MC2, everything is made of energy. It is in no way limited.
We will do this. The only limitation on desalination is energy. It's not a limiting factor. A Thorium MSR or similar on the coast and a pipeline to the interior (the scale of the pipeline is only limited by oil).
We have had all this technology for 50 years. Everything you see is a lie and a scam. People are migrating due to manufactured poverty.

yeah yeah and I tell em that I wrot it alright la ahahaha suck me off faggot ah yes

Most of australia being uninhabitable is a meme drawn up by city dwelling faggots who have never traveled. Australia is megadiverse country with everything from alpine heaths to tropical rainforests to deserts. Of course most people live in the temperate areas where they're the most comfy and productive, and even these areas have plenty of wild land yet. But the population density is extremely low.

Tldr we're full.

of course its the yank that suggests chemtrails. get fucked

Tree-hugging and tree-logging

Other states shit on it but its one of the best states in the country, It has its problems but so do other places as well. It is fairly homogeneous, has unique environment and the people are nice as in you can go for a walk down the street at night and not get bashed by the apex gang or a drunken Aboriginal.

You're fucking dumb. You don't know what the term Syphon means. The Pipe would keep it at fucking ocean level you dumb shit.

By the way. I'm Lamb Bright. I'm brighter than you. So shut up and learn. Dumb ass.

Its not chemtrails you fucking retard its completely - oh man you almost had me there.

But yeah cloud seeding, I read once that the British military was conducting tests in secret in the 1950's and managed to cause a flood in a small town from all the rain the seeded clouds poured down.

Closest thing to weather manipulation we have, could help maybe. I'd love to see geoengineering in Australia yield actual results and increase the amount of livable space and forestry deep into the interior of the outback and across the coasts except maybe the Bight. Get back to the good old White Australia policy as well, stop sucking up to the abbos and chinks and Australia will be a great white continent again, imagine the numbers of white Australians you can support with a geoengineered Australia.

are you gonna run again for President in 2020?

This threads are always fucking retarded
>Lets redirect all of Australia limited fresh water thousands of Kms to an empty desert!
>If you dump sea water in a desert a lush rain forest will grow

>building massive mountains to encourage rainfall instead of massive bodies of water

leaf education hard at work

Your the guy who would have laughed at cars or steam engines or the internet. There is really no reason for you to be alive.

I had a premonition in a dream the other night that Australia will be the 'guinea pig' for major land mass terraforming.

This process will be successful, thus enabling a precursor testbed for the eventual terraforming and habitation of Mars.

Fuck yeah. I love geology. My favorite geological feature is an atoll btw

But yeah these river valleys would bring sick nutrients to the soil and allow civilizations to thrive crazy style. As for the aborigines they have to go back. Even though they're from there they gotta go back.