Taking on the Sugar Industry

Governments took on alcohol, tobacco, and trans fats via things like advertising restrictions, labels, etc., so why can't we do the same with sugar? Large amounts of dietary sugar are extremely unhealthy and addictive, much like the other substances described, and yet almost no government action is taken against the sugar industry.

The sugar lobby exists yes, but so does the tobacco lobby and action was still taken against it. Why don't we take actions like banning advertising of sugary foods a la tobacco, maybe taxing sugar more, trying to replace sugar with stevia, limit the amount of added sugar in products, etc.?

Sugar is possibly the largest contributor to obesity, and by taking such actions we could universally improve our countries by decreasing obesity and healthcare costs while improving general health and happiness.

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2003/11/29/opinion/america-s-sugar-daddies.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>addictive
>hurr durr It's not my fault I can't stop eating
Neck yourself you fat fuck

wtf i love nanny states now

jews
lardass detected

No. We do not need to regulate FOOD.

We need to improve our education system. Teach actual nutrition to kids. Bring back home ec classes to teach kids how to cook, because their mothers and their mothers' mothers don't know how to cook and never passed the knowledge down.

low iq slavshit detected

Education is a meme. Most kids dick off in class or forget what they learn anyway.

All of the food products that are available to fat people are also available to thin people... So if the reason for fatties existing is that sugary shit is not taxed or restricted enough then explain the existence of thin/healthy people.

Dem titties.

They're bored.

"Education" has become little more than training kids to perform well on standardized tests so that the schools can keep that gub'ment funding flowing in.

Home ec and other classes like shop are hands on and teach skills that apply to life. Much more interesting than being conditioned to regurgitate test responses.

This
This is why we need to bring back proper discipline in schools, teachers should be allowed to cane the shit out of cheeky cunts.

It's food. All food is addictive. Sugar has important uses in cooking and food preservation which is why it's in everything. It's also in practically every natural food because nearly every living organism consumes and produces it. This is like trying to regulate lipids: a fucking stupid idea. They're in everything for a reason. They're useful and delicious.

You aren't going to regulate butter and you aren't going to regulate sugar. It doesn't even make any sense since you're be taking acetic acid and ethanol along with it. Your beef is with the corn subsidy bloc.

You can say that about anything...

girl's instagram is emilyhelenbarry, thanks me later

Yep.

I seem to remember when our gub'ment was telling us eggs were bad for us. Raised our cholesterol, they said. (They were wrong.) What if they had regulated eggs back then?

It's only just now that it's being recognized that fats are actually good for you. They've only recently been talking about trans fats. If you recall, things like margarine were marketed as "better for you," when it was the REVERSE. What if our gub'ment had regulated all fats back then?

Leave the food alone.

Refined and added sugars are literal cancers to our food but I do a good job on my own without eating it and I don't think the government needs to help me

Stop posting this fat witch whore you kike shill

The point is, the fatty problem is not inherently a result of a lack of taxation/ government restriction. It's a mental illness issue.

I don't believe in free will, so the concept of willpower is lost on me for the most part. There are different environmental factors however you could manipulate or put in place to influence peoples' behaviors or decisions, like what to eat. Hopefully we could set things up such that people were less compelled to eat awful foods, if we could do so we could drastically reduce average weight, improve average health, save money, improve productivity, etc.

people have the dietary recommendations drilled into their heads from a young age you idiots
guess what's on the bottom? a bunch of fucking carbohydrate, which nobody really needs unless you're a growing child or participate in serious physical labor
but leave it to american puppets to dance to the personal accountability tune, wouldn't want to upset any of the fucking jews at the top who make it their life's work to sell 2k calories worth of sugar to a poor family for the same price of one fucking bellpepper

you can quit smoking too, but it's difficult and it's dangerous so we don't take that fucking chance and we tax the fuck out of it and hide in a cupboard above the cash register where it can't be advertised or on display

do the same with fucking sugar
i'm tired of you pig americans sucking the jew dick about this

It's also a big food industry issue.

Trans fats? That's all on the companies. We weren't eating that garbage until they started producing it and putting it in everything.

High fructose corn syrup and the like? Again, the food industry.

When you look at it, processed foods are the problem. Not fat, not sugar.

And there is soooo much cash to rake in selling this processed garbage.

Leave people to make their own decisions but make sure society makes the individual deal with and pay for all consequences of their decisions. No sympathy, No free help.

>sugar makes you fat

How does a a few tablespoons of dissolving crystals make you gain weight? The idea that sugar packs on pounds goes against the law of conservation of mass.

Yout brain requires sugar to operate, sugar isn't making you fat - it's the large fries, jumbo big mac and pizza that sticks around and makes you fat.

>T. Fit guy that eats sugar often and portions meals.

Exactly
> The problem is processed foods, not fats and sugars
Fat and added sugar comprise the overwhelming bulk of the caloric load of most processed foods, and sugar itself, as in, even normal table sugar, is unhealthy at anything other than very small doses, for blood sugar, insulin spikes, triglyceride levels, etc. it's honestly worse for you by itself than pretty much any other single ingredient I can think of. Fats other than Omega-6 polyunsaturated aren't inherently bad, but most people get way too much omega-6 anyway and it's horrible and inflammatory in the doses it's consumed.

Its hard to disagree with that but I would ask: if you know that trans fats and other crap is in the food and I assume you avoid it because of that? Then why are fatties ignorant of these facts and just shovel that shit down anyway?

They just shovel it down anyway. It is an addiction. That, and these sorts of processed foods are high carb, which don't keep you feeling "full" for very long, so they continue to "graze" throughout the day.

Other reasons are:
It's convenient, so they don't have to cook anything (if they know how)
It has a longer shelf life
It's cheaper than fresh ingredients

Mental illness!!

>>T. Fit guy

yeah no
its not how shit works
go back to curls kid

>ex athlete visiting this shit because my country is going to shit

a Florida sugar Barron donated so much money to Bill Clinton campaign he felt entitled to call bill whenever he wanted a shoot the shit with him.

Read it in Chris Hitchens book in the clintons and now you know why sugar is literally untouchable.

>buy diet soda goyim

>nevermind that aspartame and phenylalanine cause terminal cancer in all lab rat studies!

>have this sugar-free milkshake and this sugar-free cinnabon to stay healthy!

How about you keep your hands and moral sensibilities to yourself, you mini fucking tyrant.

Pls prohibit food at all.

All studies involved the rats being INJECTED with artificial sweeteners at 50x the normal dose per injection.

please stop posting this semen demon

I never said nor implied that any of that stuff or sugar substitutes other than maybe stevia were either healthy or at least not unhealthy, but atm sugar and its health consequences are a much more pressing public health issues than almost anything else, like sugar substitutes.

Modern day salt wars when?

hungary is not slavic you inbred moron
we wish it was though

Americans pay a lot more for sugar than Canadians do. You know why? Government "subsidies" turn a crop we can barely grow into a protected product so now certain sugar Barrons make way more money and suddenly feel inclined to "shar the wealth" with the politicians that ensure their riches.

It's fucking sickening desu

Yeah and then we should do the same with salt because too much salt can kill you.

Also no more ads for beach resorts because too much sun can give you cancer. In fact, ban all ads which feature the sun.

Also lobby against cars because over a million people are killed in road crashes world wide every year.

i see you two guys have a conflicting solutions to the same problem which you agree on, but just can't connect it, so brace yourselves.

It is addictive, and addiction is a form of mental illness. Person does not acquire this mental illness knowingly, it consumes sugary products and dopamine tolerance builds up gradually over time. Sure, you can choose which food you eat, but by the time you're independent enough to do that, you're stuffed with sugary food from all directions and are basically hooked on (the comparison would be giving nicotine patches to a kid and expecting him not to be a smoker when he grows up)

That wouldn't happen if we had regulations about processed food, added sugar, amount of high concentrated fructose corn syrup, etc.

The country that sorted that shit out correctly is Russia

If you have any questions, ask, i'm a medical biochemist

I don't buy it. Especially when you consider the economic incentives behind the food industry. Sugar cane can only be harvested in few places so a lot of food moguls don't want to pay full market price for it.

I assume you're totally fine with tobacco companies doing targeted advertising on TV/the Internet directly to 7 to 13 year-old children then

That mountain is literally autism.

Interesting proposition, OP. I think even if something had a high sugar content, it still wouldn't be as bad for you long-term if you follow regular dietary recommendations, so the responsibility is shifted more towards the consumer rather than the industry and the product. What I think should be done is just like pointed out, education, and not just for children, will create awareness of obesity and sugar's impact. It's also about presenting alternatives, things like simple exercises and making it easily accessible for people to eat healthy and well.

Why should i have to pay more tax for products with sugar in them just because some fat fuck cant control themselves? Im all for restricting advertisement of degenerate products such as foods that make you obese, but will never support a sugar tax.

> be me
> stop eating sugar-things
> lose 20 lbs in 3 months without sport
> feel good man

Enjoy your diabetes. Might want to try reading about sugar m8, it really is poison.

Also your brain requires glucose not fucking table sugar. Your body converts carbs into glucose.

Be more worried that fake sugar still causes an insulin response in the body as if you ate real sugar

What if it ended up saving you tax dollars by decreasing the costs of the NHS by drastically decreasing mean weight and obesity, thereby causing net treatment costs to plummet?

Yep. I agree it is an addiction.

The problem in our country is, there is money to be made selling this addictive food, and there is also big money to be made in the "diet" industry, where people buy "diet" foods that are equally horrible for them.

Add to that the "fat acceptance, big is beautiful" garbage the feminists are pumping out, and you have quite the problem.

Forgot to mention the big money in pharmaceuticals to be made over all of this as well. All of those drugs for hypertension, diabetes, and all other illnesses linked to obesity. Then of course you have the massive diet pill industry.

It just seems there is too much money being made all the way around for anything to be done about it.

>so why can't we do the same with sugar?
Fanjul brothers own half of Florida and 100% of the Florida legislature.

nytimes.com/2003/11/29/opinion/america-s-sugar-daddies.html

all of the things mentioned (food industry, fat acceptance, big pharma, etc.) are there for profit, and it's not the news, it's happening all over the World, not just USA.
The news were when i went to Russia and realized how rare of a sight fat people are there. The only overweight people were half of my family and some chink tourists. Russia may be a shithole in it's own way, but i was amazed how much they care about food: Almost no additives (canned food lasts max 24h after opening), non-GMO, low sugar, without fructose corn syrup, and with a ГOCT (some kind of state warrant that the food is hq)

But trust me, it's not all the money-machine's fault. I worked as a pharmacist one period of time, people are fine with chugging 5 tablets per day, as long as they don't change their habits/lifestyle (not exercising, smoking, eating garbage).

Conclusion: I hate people, people are stupid, and Russia kinda cares about what their citizens eat

>(((Fanjul)))

Fat causes obesity. Sugar doesn't.

Well, part of "drain the swamp" that I liked was getting rid of these ancient politicians on both sides of the aisle who take their little handouts from (or own interests in, or their family owns interests in) big companies. I know zip zero NADA about how Russia functions. Did they have that problem over there? Because that is our big problem here. Make money selling cheap food that keeps the people sick so that they'll pay money for phony weight loss schemes and money to big pharma to treat their illnesses... All of that money would come crashing down if the food were addressed. Which means less money for the politicians.

Pretty sure they're Lebanese-Cuban

I read that in a British accent

Sucrose is literally a dimer of glucose and fructose

more addictive than cocain

I liked the handouts abolishing idea too. An you know, USA is definitely #1 in company lobbying. But here in Serbia we don't have pronounced processed foods problem, but we do have problem with easily prescribed antibiotics and anxiolytics for example (+ lots of people are fat and on anti-hypertensives) so i'd say there's a pharma conspiracy here to some extent.

I went through almost whole Europe, and only in Russia i actually felt like the country cares about me. Enormous security checks and almost perfect food and drug management. It is Russia indeed, so i guess there's some corruption and lobbying here and there, but reading the ingredients of products, and reading the "list of essential drugs" made my heart warm. It's like someone ordered for companies to make as healthy products as possible. On the other side they're a lot poorer than EU and USA, so there's that.

This whole heartedly. Kids don't know respect anymore, unfortunately some of them need it beaten into them

Being addicted to something doesn't exist. It is just an excuse weak willed people use

>Almost no additives (canned food lasts max 24h after opening), non-GMO, low sugar, without fructose corn syrup, and with a ГOCT (some kind of state warrant that the food is hq)

My good man, there must have been alternative Russia you visited. Our food kinda sucks. A shitload of food is with additives and GMO (though I don't see anything wrong with the latter). Low sugar? I wouldn't say so. Just a regular amount of it. Why would we use HFCS? Corn is not our shtick, we use plain old cane sugar. ГOCT is something you are obligated to use, the majority of food falls under TУ (technical conditions), it's pretty much a quality standard set by the manufacturer itself, not the government, which means it is allowed to be shit.
The worst things is that after the sanctions a lot of food companies started cutting corners in a big way to stall the soaring prices. That means using palm oil and other inferior resources, smaller packaging, and so on. That was the point when our food truly started to suck badly for the most part.
But we indeed don't have that many fat people. Mostly because we don't have this eating out culture like in the US, which contributes greatly to the obesity of the population.

You don't need to tax sugar. All you need to do is tell the American Heart Association and the like to stop prostituting themselves to the sugar industry.

It's interesting how you mention the "eating out culture" over here. Call me crazy, but I started noticing a LOT more fat people after "all you can eat buffets" became so popular.

France has made a move in this direction : last month, all the MSM made a meme of the NASH : they called it "the soda disease", and explain that it's fatal.

I was in St. Petersburg for half a month last summer and my mother lives there for the past 4 years.

Every fucking product, even water, was obliged to have non-GMO label. There were almost no emulgators, even in canned food (which is almost impossible to find throughout the whole Europe, as far as i went). Quality indeed wasn't top class, but the healthiness is what bought my trust. I didn't know how they fucked you with prices and packaging, but it sure is better than fucking you up with ingredients (and even then, your prices are lower than here in Serbia)
You don't even realize how healthy and good you have it man. Visit Czech rep, it will change your mind. Lowest food prices but also fattest nation i saw.

Also, using sugar cane over hfcs is enormously better, and you're one of the rare countries to do so. It doesn't fuck up your liver, fertility, cardiovascular system and it doesn't store it as fat as quickly.

Free will doesn't exist.

>sugar

1. Sugar makes you stupid
2. Alcohol is sugar

That's where I live, and that has been my experience. The companies are often not 100% truthful with what they write in the ingredients, especially when it comes to dairy, half of it has the fucking palm oil, cheese suffers from this the most. There are web sites on the Internet that conduct independent expertise and breakdown of food, and quite often you get jewed one way or another, because the companies use the bottom of the barrel ingredients or straight up lie. I have a feeling that the quality standards are stricter in the EU. In St. Petersburg, it's a local hobby to travel to Finland (Imatra to be specific) because it's close and buy quality food en masse.

>Also, using sugar cane over hfcs is enormously better, and you're one of the rare countries to do so. It doesn't fuck up your liver, fertility, cardiovascular system and it doesn't store it as fat as quickly.
Does anyone even use HFCS aside from the US?

If you don't already know sugar is bad for you then you deserve to die. Fuck off with this nanny state bullshit.
Saged.

As someone who makes their own wine, I must correct you and say that alcohol WAS sugar, but then some yeast ate it and pissed out alcohol, and farted some CO2.
However, alcohol does indeed have the ability to make you stupid.

I heard about the Finland thing. Shit man, didn't know it was that bad. But as someone who works in the medical field, and can assure you that your citizens are 50x healthier than those in EU or USA, you can actually see that in people. I couldn't process how there are no fat people, for fucks sake, they're majority in this day and age.
Also, another thing that earned my trust and assured me that someone in your country cares about people is your list of vital and essential drugs. That shit pure gold. Fucking Semax, people would kill if they knew that shit exists. Closest thing the west managed to develop was Cerebrolysin, which kills your kidneys instantly

>Does anyone even use HFCS aside from the US?
you'd be surprised, Russia was the first country almost strictly without it. Even in countries where corn isn't popular or subsidized.

The corn industry is absolutely insane. I have a friend who writes health articles for various publications. She says anytime she runs a story about avoiding high fructose corn syrup and other corn products, she gets a snotty e-mail from somebody in PR with attachments of "studies" (pro tip: always checks who funds those studies) proving that it's harmless. Those guys comb the Internet constantly.

dem tiddies, tho

How about taking on the automobile industry? Eating sugar is not that much of a problem if people actually get enough excercise. Making walking or cycling to work an alternative to driving would solve a great deal of the problem.

Then again, banning a product is probably easier than reforming urban infrastructure like that.

>But as someone who works in the medical field, and can assure you that your citizens are 50x healthier than those in EU or USA, you can actually see that in people.
Perhaps, when we don't drink ourselves to death, inject opioids, or work in a depressing and dirty hellhole like Norilsk, because our life expectancy is significantly lower, by 9 years.
>Also, another thing that earned my trust and assured me that someone in your country cares about people is your list of vital and essential drugs.
Can't argue with that. Sometimes those are hard to get though, again, especially after the economy plummeted. 2 years St. Petersburg temporarily ran out of free insulin. And in general, the medication has become more expensive.

Sucks how (((they))) turn everything into profit. We could've had unlimited free electricity and 200+years lifespan by now if it weren't for the fucking pic related

Unlike the Netherlands and much of Europe, in America it's completely infeasible in much of the country to reasonably get around by biking or walking or without a car in general, the public transportation network and infrastructure overall just don't allow for it.

hahahahah, also one thing i noticed is how little alcohol Russians (in Petersburg at least) consume. Everyone thought me and my brother were insane when they saw how we drink (even though we have a saying "drinks like a Russian" in Serbia).
I heard most of the negative stereotypes about your country come from the central part, is that true?

>Sugar is possibly the largest contributor to obesity
I disagree, blame your fastfood chains and high fructose corn syrup(which is in carbonated beverages instead of table sugar) instead

I live 18 miles from the nearest town, population 100, and I would have to agree.

>Why can't gobbernment solve my problems?!?

Because that's not what a government is for, you stupid kid.

Exactly, and that's why the infrastructure overall should be changed to end the obesity problem wherever possible (it obviously does not apply to agricultural areas, not even here in the Netherlands).
Ofcourse this isn't very realistic. But then again, neither is banning sugar.
That makes complete sense, but living in an urban area and still having to drive everywhere does not, and the people who designed the cities to be like that are to blame.

>I heard most of the negative stereotypes about your country come from the central part, is that true?
Well, I guess we do have less raging alcoholics than other regions. St. Petersburg historically has been more developed economically, and culturally. Northern Venice, Northern Palmyra, the cultural capital of Russia, and all that. We do, however, have a lot of bars and entire bar streets like Dumskaya (mainstream pleb tier) and Rubinshteina (patrician tier). Also, St. Petersburg is more prominent in drug usage for some reason.
>I heard most of the negative stereotypes about your country come from the central part, is that true?
Yes. The regions are significantly poorer - less culture, education - more drinking and wallowing in depression.

>That makes complete sense, but living in an urban area and still having to drive everywhere does not, and the people who designed the cities to be like that are to blame.
Agreed, and when I go back to visit family in the city I do ride a bike at times, but it can be dangerous because the roads are made for cars and bikes are an afterthought. It's a cultural thing, Americans love their cars, and it's a lazy thing too.

>eat saturated fat
>2 tablespoons of pure sugar a day with milk
>350 g of carbs a day
>don't workout regularly other than brisk walking

1100 test, finally free from depression & adhd, lots of energy and optimism, optimally working HPA axis, healthy cholesterol and no other illnesses

checkmate atheists