Antidepressants

What does Sup Forums think of antidepressants?

Legitimately helpful for those with mood disorders?

Or a sham manufactured by Big Pharma that does more harm than good?

I'm inclined to believe the latter given all the studies that show them being barely more effective than placebos, except with much nastier side effects.

Thoughts? Personal experiences?

Other urls found in this thread:

hub.jhu.edu/2016/12/01/hallucinogen-treats-cancer-depression-anxiety/
hub.jhu.edu/2017/01/04/bad-trips-mushrooms/
hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/single_dose_of_hallucinogen_may_create_lasting_personality_change
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Change your outside before you give yourself up to big pharmaceutical cartels

If you've ever had to deal with a chronically depressed whiny crying never-shuts-up dishrag, you will pray that they fill their head with as much medicine as they can get.

it might be helpful on the short term but long term it gets you hooked and you build up resistance to it

Also most people that are on it long term end up even more depressed and either commit suicide or shoot up a school

I probably going against the grain here, but Zoloft got rid of my anxiety and depression. Feels good man.

>implying depression is real

They're pointless, very addictive and make you potato and basically emotionless to make you feel "better"

I can tell you that they are not very effective. It's not a direct effect like if you took typical illegal drugs. It takes about 2 weeks to work and in my opinion i haven't met anyone on them that they really helped. I feel it might mess with your brain after stopping use.

I believe there was a new danish study that showed they are not very effective.

You should watch Garden State. The story centers around anti-depressents, one of the only jewish films with a good message.

>I feel it might mess with your brain after stopping use.
It does, I know a few people who are on it and they literally cant stop or else feel way worse than before

to anyone reading this thread, dont get jewed by farma

Stick to stimulants my dude.

I am going to get attentin (dextro sulfate) soon as ritalin is a bit trashy.

Anti depressants sedate you and make you feel like a lifeless zombie.

Sup Forums isnt joking about it being a pharmaceticul jew while stimulants at theuraptic doses will improve your cognitive and mood too.

Why do you think they always go for anti depressants and not for actual useful meds goy?

I mean the jews actually attempted to create their own "stimulant" for the market which is Strattera but its actually a recycled anti depressant.

Uppers are the ultimate red pill

I am on both antidepressants and ADHD medication. It works. Of course, there is no one size fits all solution, so you have to find what works for you. Or, you could just post memes and shit.

SSRI's are demon drugs, period. Fix your diet before you start destroying your brain. Drop all grains and animal products for a few months and see what happens. GL.

best one isn't showin in photo cipralex
changed my life zero side effects

Severe anxiety disorder since early teens. panic attacks and all that shit.

have been on and tried most major ssri and snri drugs.

currently on prostiq 100mg which has been the best/least side effects.

creates an overall flat line mood. no ups or downs just meh. i used to notice it in my early years but mid thirties now so its just become a normal state of being sadly.

i have had periods off the drugs over the year with mixed success. Not sure what triggers it but sometimes i'm fine others i need medication to function.

Problem im faced with is now i have been on so long i believe my body is conditioned to the external stimulation so when im off the medication i am quick to anger and easily stressed etc.. due to the lowered serotonin.

If i had my way i would detox than just use Low THC/ High CBD marijuana and occasionally therapeutic doses of OTC stimulants for mood enhancement.

unfortunate living in Australia neither of these things will be happening nay time soon.

/life story

What do you know of Straterra? I took it as a child for (((ADHD))) and it made me have migraines, gave me a urinary problem, and fucked up my prostate.

I was on anti-psychotics for a while and they made me into a total normie, I had no desire to play video games or browse Sup Forums, I just wanted to do school work, clean up the house and get things done. I stopped though because that's not me, I prefer being a lazy procrastinating faggot.

Much as I hate to admit it, I started taking Saint John's Wort a few months ago, and have found it to be very helpful for me. I used to always feel so awful, I just went to my office job, came home, and sat on the floor and waited till I fell asleep every day. Now I am a bit more even keeled, in that every little thing isn't the potential end of the world. I can do much more now.

Antidepressants are a fucking meme and there is endless sources online that prove it

The only way to be undepressed is to fix your actual life. However, the only way you're going to truly succeed is if you rely fully on God.

He loves and knows you inside and out and thus has the only perfect plan for you that's going to work.
>inb4 fedoras get thrown at me

you didn't become a le normie at all since you still had manchild desires to be a procrastinating faggot.

Strattera was supposed to be an anti depressant but it failed medical trials and had made things worse for people with actual depression.

The patent and marketing team had already been set to push the drug and they wouldnt let this setback stop them so they literally just labeled to help with "ADHD" but in reality doesnt do jack for it.

I cant make this up. Look it up.

Didn't help me. I am a vegetarian, haven't eaten meat in a decade and a half, mostly eat vegetables and homemade soups. Saint John's Wort 900mg a day has helped far more than dietary changes.

The only big downside so far is that I'm now a fucking sun sensitive gremlins, I burn in literal minutes even in overcast weather.

I've been on them for a while now, and the most they've ever done is just stabilize my mood inbetween happy and sad. That being said I guess it's better than being insanly depressed all the time, but they're definitely way overrated.
I agree with this guy. I've tried weaning off but I get lower than I was before I started.

Honestly, I would go back to recreational drugs before I ever put that shit into my body. A little coke never hurt anybody. Once a month or so have some MDMA or LSD. Smoke a joint and drink some scotch. Anti depressants and antipsychotics are the literal blue pill.

>The only big downside so far is that I'm now a fucking sun sensitive gremlins
nice quads

wonder what causes this? on cymbalta and currently pristiq and im HIGHLY sun sensitive.. when iw as younger could spend all day in sun anmd tanmned nicley?

When I took strattera it just made my heart beat faster than normal and gave me major anxiety

Population control. Being unhappy is a true redpill that can bring change and wake up western civilization from its selfdistructing nightmare.

Antidepressants may have ruined my hearing. I never had tinnitus until after I took those tablets in February/March. Even if they weren't the cause, I still got extreme fatigue and nose bleeds.

Never again.

a placebo when it works, poison when not.

only as final resort
change your diet, drink only water
try to hit a gym, or at least buy a pull up bar do some stuff in your house first

personally i already gave up on society and dont feel any need to have any contacts but lifting at least helped me to maintain mindset where all i want is to sustain myself and do stuff that i like in my free time
godspeed burger bro

It is a known side effect of many SSRIs. I just have to wear sunglasses all the time outside now. Happily, living in Newfie Scotia, I never see the sun anyway.

i never noticed them do anything.

living in australia im fucked lol

I have ocd and am a sperg. Luvox helps with ocd (maybe 30% reduction). I didn't have much choice as I couldn't function before them and wasn't able to complete my degree until I started them.

They have side-effects though, maybe even permanent ones. They are just an unfortunate last resort to the illnesses created by modern society.

Efexor and valium keep me from killing myself, but I know they are a crutch and I need to improve myself if I'm ever to get off them.

But at the moment valium is pretty comfy

I wasn't raised in a religious family. I've been attending an Anglican church, but I still haven't found my faith.

I know multiple people who were on that diet for years but still had severe mental illness so I don't think that does anything.

Tinnitus is stress based. Don't worry about it. It'll either go away or not. You have no reason to fear it. It will only make it more prevalent and worse.
I used to get auras in my eyes of glares that would expand and turn into migraines. It was nice, because the glares/aura didn't hurt until they fully spread through my eyes. It only happened around others. I'm pretty sure it was some empathetic thing because it would only happen during schooling and the way my perception was altered (and I'm amazing with stress and handling other's feelings) really makes me think it was something definitely mind-altering besides moods. Also, my physician was a jew. And, the only reason I even went on Straterra was to curb not eating all day from Ritalin/Adderall. I haven't had a single migraine except once or twice as soon as I went off it.

Do NOT take them.

When I was a teen I was the typical depressed shit, as teens are, boo hoo woe is me I am sad.

That sort of stuff.
I grew out of it eventually and matured, but my GP and psychiatrist said I had all these ailments and put me on tons of meds.

Conclusion?

They fucked me up bigtime. My hair is falling out. I'm blind in one eye due to it, my liver is slowly failing despite never drinking alcohol at all in my life and I'm pretty much emotionless and dont smile or frown.

Rather than admitting I'd suffered side effects that led me to where I am, they tried to put me on more and more. Thankfully the day I turned an adult I wasn't required to anymore and so I put a stop to it.

DO NOT. DO NOT. DO NOT take them.

t. someone who took them for 4 years.

>my psychian was a jew

There was your problem

it's not a solution, they can be useful temporaly. They shouldn't be prescribed to kids if anything else could work

that shit is really bad i tried paxil lexapro and some other shit and it makes you want to kill yourself, masterbating on lexapro was kinda cool but yeah that shit is horrible

What you are describing is someone who was put on anti-depressants inappropriately. That doesn't mean all people should not take them. People who have actual mental illnesses as opposed to temporary and normal depression are completely different to you.

>mfw 12 hours of jerking later

I agree. You must consider how bad is your life right now that you want to take this drug, considering it won't do much.

Over here doctors are paid by how many prescriptions they fill out, and their computers tell them what "is" and "isn't" wrong with a patient.

If it's like it in any other countries, I'd advise them not believe their diagnoses.

I agree, stress definitely adds fuel to the fire.

It's hard to remain calm though when it's always there, especially at night.

I'm hoping the cause is ear wax so when I get my ears cleaned it fades away. Still never touching antidepressants again though. Fuck that. Way too many risks.

Never trust anyone who wants to drug you before they help you.

Also, before you take tablets to medicate a 'chemical imbalance', make sure you actually have a chemical imbalance in the first place.

Feeling depressed =/= chemical imbalance

That is why anti-depressants don't work in most cases, because they are prescribed on a whim as soon as the word 'depression' comes up, without proper diagnoses or therapy.

If you are feeling depressed, go to therapy first. Think about what the trigger could be, and try to remove it.

>When I was a teen I was the typical depressed shit, as teens are, boo hoo woe is me I am sad.
yeah but not everyone is like that
i had to grow up with single depressed mother because my father died when i was 8 and it took a huge fucking effort to fix my life
not saying antidepressants are great but if someone thinks his life is fucked its okay to seek some sort of help, although i would advice to visit therapist instead of psychiatrist first

from personal experience i can say they work, at least lexapro in my case. The only longterm side effect i noticed was that I gained about 10 pounds after several months of taking them which eventually leveled out. 95% of the supposed 'risks' and 'negatives' people have listed in this thread are complete nonsense as far as im concerned. I don't feel controlled or dulled at all and I'm on the highest daily dose possible. My hatred for jews still burns with a passion

I'm sure that the children molested by your God's spokesmen, i.e. priests, would disagree.

Antidepressants suffer from a lot of interperson variability. What works for one person won't work for another. Change your lifestyle to the best of your ability before you try them either way. Depression often relates to life circumstances and drugs don't fix those.

Currently discontinuing my antidepressant (citalopram 20mg used daily for ~3 years). It was the first attempt to fix my brain chemistry, and it worked very well with no meaningful side effects. I had an episode where I was diagnosed with Major Depressive disorder, Panic disorder, Generalized anxiety disorder.

I've done a very gradual taper and I'm almost finished (currently week 3 of 10mg every other day) and it's just now catching up with me. Get really down on myself for periods of time involuntarily, and petty traumatic failures keep bubbling up into my subconscious and making me hate myself. I haven't had this happen at all before the taper, and it's getting more than annoying. Kinda don't want to get completely off of it anymore. I just don't know. People always use to tell me to smile before Celexa. If I go back to that people are just gonna hate my company more then they usually would.

I've had it for 5 years. It used to be so loud at night when I was drunk it was like being in a sound chamber. It's just a place of your mind. A static you have. It can only be gotten rid of by experiencing the lack of in the area. This requires pure thought and will. It's not easy to overcome as you have to literally tell your brain it doesn't exist as it's a stress-based response. Basically, you are over-hearing everything.

I remember reading that they work a lot better in women than men. I think a lot of it is the placebo effect and much of the rest is merely that they act as mild stimulants. Remember that modern antidepressants started as an effort to develop less addicting stimulant alternatives to amphetamines so most of these are merely mild stimulants of some sort.

The only thing antidepressants (at least SSRIs) DO do well is provide a safe, quick come-down from serotonergic hallucinogens such as LSD, psilocybin, and MDMA. They should be used in urgent care more typically for this purpose but AFAIK they are not. I have mostly used them for this purpose, finding them useless at improving my mood even when taken for months at a time.

Pic related is the most euphoric antidepressant I have ever tried (and the most addicting).

Outside of severe mood disorders (bipolar, borderline, schizo etc...), it does more harm than good.

the word is tolerance, not resistance. Dumbass

are you still on it? or were you able to quit?

There's dozens of different antidepressants. You've got to try out a few until you find one that helps. Then it's really helpful.

And, btw., they're not just "happy pills". It doesn't work that way. Depression is a complex sickness and the treatment is even as complex.

Bupropion/Wellbutrin = good
SSRIs = you will become fat and disgusting

Some drugs cause photosensitivity. Just a side effect.

You might want to look into phenylpiracetam as a clean stimulant that you can easily purchase anywhere (except Russia where it is a prescription med, phenotropil or something).

avoid them at all costs. examine your surroundings, lifestyle, diet, hobbies, etc. If you're in a depressing situation then it's natural to be depressed. Taking a pill that has a fuckton of potential side effects just to cope with a depressing situation is a giant mistake. You might need to make some changes in your life. Do everything you can to improve your situation, and if you're still feeling depressed then try magic mushrooms. Study them, treat them with reverence, get a trip sitter, and make sure your mindset and setting are accommodating for the trip. It isn't a party drug. It's a profound biological organism that has the potential to drastically change your life, for better or worse. If you go into the trip overemotional, around strangers, in a foreign setting, with nobody to guide you, then you'll have a horrific experience. If you go into the trip level headed, in a place you feel comfortable, with a guide, then you can potentially end your depression, have a spiritual experience, and come out of the trip a much better person.

You can read about mushrooms online, but here are some studies on their efficacy.

hub.jhu.edu/2016/12/01/hallucinogen-treats-cancer-depression-anxiety/
hub.jhu.edu/2017/01/04/bad-trips-mushrooms/
hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/single_dose_of_hallucinogen_may_create_lasting_personality_change

Worse case scenario you get used to it, well I got used to mine I don't hear it if I don't focus on it, stress and the lack of sleep makes it worse, when I drink a lot of coffee I hear them louder too. If you have some trouble to sleep you can always sleep with a fan or a background noise, there's videos on youtube for that.
I got mine because I go to concerts and clubs a lot, now I wear earplugs but some drugs can definitely trigger it

I have an MSc in psychology, and am very opposed to antidepressants in general. I could write pages about it, but basically the biggest problem is they treat the symptoms rather than the cause. That's why people become zombies when on antidepressants, they don't feel better, they just feel nothing. I'd only recommend them for when someone is so affected by the way they feel that they're completely irrational and/or seriously considering suicide. Talking therapies are always better.

How bad does it fuck your dick up?

>bubbling up from* my subconscious
I must have OCD too. Anyway, to answer OPs thread, it was absolutely not a placebo or sugar pill in my experience. When I first started the medication, I gave up on feeling any remarkable difference after the first week. Around week 5 or 6 I was pleasantly surprised by the head change. It felt like I literally got pulled out of a dark, foggy swamp, into the daylight. I had motivation, energy, and a general "can-do" and "why not do my best" attitude. I suffered no significant weight gain or sexual dysfunction as many people report. There are studies that suggest not to use this SSRIs for more than six months to avoid structural changes in the brain, and I'm well over that. As said earlier, I'm nearly off of it but am reconsidering just taking it for the foreseeable future. It's not a feeling I crave, it just produces results that others respond to more warmly. Nobody likes a miserable little cunt. I can't help it, and I really do try.

>What does Sup Forums think of antidepressants?

Horrible shit. Avoid them completely.

>muh tolerance
Shut up cuck

They are a bit of both. I've seen them make real differences to very ill people, but then again I've seen people attempt suicide, go through seratonin syndrome and experience unpleasant side effects.

The real problem is not medication itself but usage. (((DSM))) licensing anti depressants for things like grief or people looking for government gibsmedat are demanding ADs from thier gps etc.

T. Student psyche nurse

Chekt. Vegetarians are trash tier retarded subhuman garbage. Go fully raw and stick to mostly fruit. Pee in a jar and see if there is sediment in it, if there isn't that means your kidneys are chocked full and are rocks and aren't filtering blood and lymph. Get them moving with some herbs. Try a 40 day grape fast or something. I did 41 days on oranges, tomatoes, and grapes in 2012 and went from 250 lb to 120.

If you're kidneys aren't filtering intersticial lymphatic fluid and cellular/parasitic waste you are a walking ball of acid and suffering.

Fucking normies the movie.

you realize ambien is not an antidepressant right?

guess its different from person to person but not at all for me

suck my cock cyprus hill, what are you gonna go sing songs about smoking weed? you fag

This. Why anyone would voluntarily eat ingest a downer is beyond me.

there is no one answer on this. there are some people who really need the meds. there are others that could probably survive without them or with just a bit of st. johns wart or reefer.

fucking scam

SSRIs will be viewed in the same way as the lobotomy is now in 50 years

they chemically castrate your brain

>Implying lobotomies aren't the future
Kek, joking aside i think ECT will be used a lot more once better understood

the fuck is ECT?

Electroconvulsive therapy or PENCE'D

Lol you sound like one of those retarded mothers on Facebook autism groups. You gotta FILTER the TOXINS maaan.

I'm not a fat fuck like you were, so I think I'll stick to healthy fruits and vegetables, and homemade bread and a good portion of cheese. I eat like a hobbit, and no binge on fucking grapes is going to clear the TOXINS out of my chakras

I dislike the narrative of this thread.

You're all telling everyone "do all of these active and competant things and it'll fix you".

Well, what if I have to be blacked out drunk and stoned every day and have been for 15 years and if I don't black out by noon I'll be violently shaking in a depressed panic?

There isn't a list of self help things I can do to get better.(inb4 hurr durr stop drinking and smoking) I'm rekt. I plan to begin taking anti-anxiety meds in a few weeks so that I can potentially become sober and get a job.

>be Danish
>diagnosed with depression
>say fuck no to antidepressants
>decide to travel the world instead

The nightmares are already gone. I'm off to a good start.

In actual fact a you are doing is abdicating the responsibilities of being a man into a morass of drunken extended adolescence, and trying to feel more worthwhile by putting yourself into situations of inherent novelty.

You will do this for some time and find that you aren't growing as a man, and eventually you'll be a burned out vagrant in your late twenties with no skills except sleeping with other people on the run from their lives.

This is the only movie I've ever seen that was so terrible it actually made me angry.
It's the most pretentious, pretending to be subtle while actually being a sledgehammer, unapologetically up its own ass, disrespectul of the viewer's intelligence, smug, smarmy piece of pseudo-intellectual trash that has ever existed.
Fuck Garden State and every fucking subhuman numale hipster piece of human garbage that shills it.

I am on zoloft (sertraline) 50mg/day and it god rid my anxiety (GAD) and panic attacks. Feels lot better now.

And i pay total 2$ / a month.

It's vodka for western cucks.

Yes, yes goy. Take your capsulized heroi-er i mean anti depressants.

Dude i was on AD but i got tinnitus a few later, in my case it cant be because of ADs, i can feel you trough what hell you are going, after 2 years tinnitus calmed down, i can still hear it at night but only when i think about it, but it will get better so dont worry bro.

OP here. Interesting variety in the responses.

Lots of people saying to avoid them, which isn't too surprising.

Also a fair number of people saying that they helped them.

Seems like no matter what, antidepressants are a crapshoot and depend on way too many biological variables to easily predict what their effects will be. And we still don't really know what the long term effects will be.

It's highly needed for most metropolitan people who dealing with their stress everyday. Damn, I wish xanax were freely sell in drugstore here, like in US

Shrooms just make me feel absolutely miserable. The most "enlightening" realization I made on them was that perhaps having a couple of friends more would be nice. Gee, thanks mushroom god!

The eternal fungi is perhaps the most overhyped thing on the internet at the moment. I don't know anyone whose life shrooms has impacted in any significant way.

KEK

I didnt decide to kill myself until after I was on drugs. Quit cold turkey (twice) and then started changing things about my life. I am 1000% fine right now, and have been for a year.

>how to be a man

Enlighten us. No spooks, please.

>worked with
Where have you worked at, user?

You can't measure brain chemistry don't do it. Plenty of herbs to help. St. John's wart. Lenon balm, valerian root, the list goes on.

>resistance

Nigga, you retarded

My doc just gave me some Zoloft. What mg are you on?

>foreigner with a shitty flag always is against mental health

You're either the exception and/or you didn't do enough.