San Francisco Building 200 Mil Suicide Barrier for Golden Gate Bridge

cbsnews.com/news/golden-gate-bridge-suicide-barriers-going-up-after-1500-deaths/

SAN FRANCISCO — Work officially began Thursday on a net under the Golden Gate Bridge intended to prevent and deter the dozens of suicides that take place at the iconic landmark each year, CBS San Francisco reported.

More than 1,500 people are thought to have died there over the bridge’s 80-year lifespan.

The stainless steel net, located about 20 feet below the bridge’s sidewalk, will span 1.7 miles of roadway on each side of the bridge and extend 20 feet out over the water.

It will be built over a period of four years, at a cost of just over $200 million drawn from a mix of federal, state and local sources.

At a ceremony today to mark the start of the project, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi said that during the long process of obtaining the funding for the project, people would ask her, “isn’t that a lot of money for a net?”

“And we would say no, it’s not a lot of money for a life, for all of these lives,” Pelosi* said.

*Though financial-disclosure forms list only ranges of assets and liabilities, Pelosi listed between $42.4 million and $199.5 million in assets in 2013, which was enough for Bloomberg Business to deem her the richest member of House leadership from either party. By 2014, she and her husband, investment banker Paul Pelosi, were doing even better: She reported between $43.4 million and $202 million in assets. (Pelosi’s husband, in fact, has done so well that he tried the quixotic hobby of investing in an alternative to the National Football League, losing between $100,000 and $1 million in 2014.)

nationalreview.com/article/420574/nancy-pelosis-life-01-percent-brooke-rogers

Other urls found in this thread:

goldengatebridge.org/research/ConstructionPrimeContr.php
news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/
foxnews.com/science/2015/08/19/la-black-ball-scheme-disaster-in-making-say-experts.html
youtube.com/watch?v=mn_hDivyfVU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>America needs a wall to stop them killing themselves
>Still no Mexico border wall

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAAAAA

What a disgusting waste of a city and land. Why hasn't MidWest America fucking taken over that shithole yet?

I am almost tempted.

>drop to barrier
>jump from there

200mil well spent lads

what is it with communist shit holes and suicide nets?

This.

It just means jumpers will need to jump twice. How the fuck is this going to help anything?

wtf just ban high bridges

what a waste of money...

What a waste of money

Came here to post this

Now those dastardly suiciders are foiled! They have no way to commit their vile deeds now!

I think it would be a interesting psychological experiment to see how many people took the second jump if they didn't know the net was there.

FIAT money can't be wasted. It is waste.

>jump off bridge
>hit net
>jump off net
>???

>Lots of people are killing themselves, should we investigate why depression rates are up and promote reforms to make life better for the average working class person?
>Nah, just dump millions into building a giant net around all our tall monuments that completely ruins the beauty of them

GOD BLESS THE U . S . A

But that was for killing depressed homosexuals

Well judging from the height of the initial drop, it's possible they'd break their legs and have to crawl to the edge for the second attempt.

A suicide net on one of our national landmarks. How about the statue of libery putting a gun to her head.

>going to school there this fall

REEEEEEEEEEE

So how do you get up from there?

This, what the fuck is the point of this.

Also original bridge only cost 27 million. Not sure why a net costs 200 million. Here the bridge closest to me has high iron bars that curve inward at the top. Not sure why they can't just extend the sidebars higher and curve them to discourage jumpers.

Eleven of the nation’s leading bridge engineering firms submitted construction proposals. On August 11, 1930, the War Department issued its final permit for the construction of a 4,200-foot main span with a vertical clearance of 220 feet at mid-span. On August 27, 1930, Joseph Strauss submitted final plans to the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway District Board of Directors. In November 1932, contracts totaling $23,843,905 were awarded for the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge. The authorized bond issue was for $35 million and the total construction cost came in at $35 million which included $27,125,000 for the construction of the structure, $2,050,000 for Engineering and Inspection, $423,000 for Administrative and Preliminary Expenses, $4,068,000 for Financing, and $1,334,000 in surplus. The $27 million for final construction of the span is higher than the $23 million for the initial construction bids as other items were included in the final cost such as the toll plaza ($450,000), toll collection equipment ($72,000), tower elevators ($60,000), miscellaneous equipment ($45,000), and Military replacements and improvements ($575,000).

goldengatebridge.org/research/ConstructionPrimeContr.php

Do it then, faggot

This is the same state that thought you could preserve water by putting black balls on it

news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150812-shade-balls-los-angeles-California-drought-water-environment/

foxnews.com/science/2015/08/19/la-black-ball-scheme-disaster-in-making-say-experts.html

reminder this is the state that voted for Hillary

>land on net
>crawl to edge
>continue suicide

Full fucking retard

youtube.com/watch?v=mn_hDivyfVU

$200 million dollars to keep people from killing themselves with some style. Thanks Nancy Ill just shoot myself.

What a dumb bitch.

>hurr durr do it then

Shut up, you little bender.

Wow, that's fucking ugly - what a stupid idea for safe space faggots.

San Francisco is such a fucking meme.

>chock full of homeless people
>oh shit, better not let these parasites who want to kill themselves follow through. Better spend all this money we could spend on homeless people who want to live on keeping a bunch of retards who dont alive.

>Here the bridge closest to me has high iron bars that curve inward at the top. Not sure why they can't just extend the sidebars higher and curve them to discourage jumpers.

Can't be seen ruining the a e s t h e t i c of sf with ugly bars mate.

>200 million for a project
>end result is that 20 people a year commit suicide somewhere else

Bravo

> Jump into net
> Jump from net into water
> ???

>1500 people
>80 years
Really not that bad

Seems like your country has fallen prey to corruption. Almost all third-world countries have massive corruption, doesn't matter if it's south america, asia or wherever. It's inherent in the people, and now your country is comprised or a part of these people that equal or even surpass your own white part. The only countries that aren't completely corrupt are white countries (even Japan is pretty corrupt with the yakuza and all), and your country is basically no longer white (less than half of your newborns are white and you counting everyone you are just at ~60%, and those statistics include arabs as white for some reason).

Your country is no longer white, and with that comes corruption, as can be seen here with a 200 million USD net.

>Not sure why a net costs 200 million
You clearly have no idea how awful California is.

>original bridge only cost 27 million

They could always just drive to the Macinac Bridge.

Or use a gun.

We should be encouraging suicide, not wasting money to 'prevent' it.

Regardless of the net, these people are depressed and will find another way to kill themselves. Fucking stupid ass virtue signalling policy that's going to change nothing and just make our country look even more pathetic.

When you build bridges not walls, so you build walls on your bridges where people benefit most from bridges not walls after building walls not bridges to keep out half of your userbase who preaches bridges not walls and losing to a guy who builds both bridges and walls.

Why jump twice? Even 10 feet would suffice.

>steel net
>land head first
>break neck
>???

>jump, break legs on stainless steel net 20 feet under the bridge
>overpaid anti-suicide personnel jumps down and saves you

>jump off bridge
>hit net
>come back to your senses and re-evaluate your life
>go to prison for attempted suicide
>anally raped by niggers daily
>hang yourself in jail cell
>thanks Nancy Pelosi

>jump off net
>break legs
>sue state for $6million dollars

I think the Golden Gate Bridge is in for some 9/11 style surprise demolition soon.

tfw the barrier acts as a trampoline bouncing them higher towards death

cant you just jump down to the net and, once there, down to the river?

Noice.

What in the absolute fuck did I just read

>The most progressive and liberal cities in the most progressive and liberal state
>Citizens kill themselves so often that the government needs to take measures to physically stop you

>$200 million dollars to build a net
>you can just climb across it and jump off into the water anyway

Holy fucking shit I'm literally dying right here. THAT is $200 million? Either some very corrupt shit is going on or liberals have absolutely no sense of cost (probably both).
What happens when they jump of the net? Looks high enough to be fatal. This just can't be serious.

SO I STILL HAVE TIME?

I thought the net costed 60 million and began construction in 2013

I've thought about jumping off this bridge so much since this advertised youtube video of some asshole that survived. I think its terrible that they wish to deny someone the peaceful landmark trip to that bridge after the kids have grown up, or their mother has died.

>Still no Mexico border wall

>MY BODY MY CHOI-
Oh wait

wouldnt falling on this net be lethal?
>jump off bridge
>head goes through net, metal wires slice head clean off
>watch your corpse spray blood in the air as you tumble into the ocean

That's simply not true.

You know nothing about how suicide occurs.

Suicide is an impulsive on-the-spot decision for 99.99% of suicide cases. Tiny obstacles that make it just that little bit harder to actually commit suicide can give people enough time for the suicidal impulse to pass.

But that's ILLEGAL user.

They will receive YUGE fines.

>these people are depressed and will find another way to kill themselves
That's a lot of the point, suicides need to be investigated and what not to make sure there was no foul play and it is a pain in the ass for everybody when there is extra traffic for police and press just because some asshole decided to off himself on the bridge instead of in their own home.

>Also original bridge only cost 27 million. Not sure why a net costs 200 million.

Because the net is being ordered from governors cousin, like always

If you adjust for inflation it's 1.5 billion dollars

Why not use rope? It would need to be repaired constantly, but suiciders would have more trouble climbing to the edge of the net and jumping again, and would be less injured by the 20 foot fall.

>build a net
>people who fall on it will not die but they might end up injuring themselves
>get sued for the injuries
>otherwise the people in the net will crawl their way to their deaths

>drop to barrier
>jump from there

More like; fat american jumps on STEEL NET, becomes sliced into 500 pieces.

>Want to kill myself because society has abandoned me and hates me

>Go to bridge to quickly and efficiently kill self

>Society is such a cunt that they won't even let me die relatively quickly and painlessly so now have to go and slowly strangle myself or slice my veins open

>Probably a liberal state where getting a gun is annoying

THANKS LIBERALS

Maybe you could electrify it to stun jumpers?

I'd kill myself too if I had to live in san fagsisco.

>>Also original bridge only cost 27 million. Not sure why a net costs 200 million.
What is inflation user?

Reminds me of China. SF is basically China tier.

I bet if someone REALLY wanted to suicide off that bridge, they could jump far enough to clear the net

why bother amerifats are so heavy they get sliced up by the net on the way down

>Getting together a helium escape pod is "impulsive"

>Driving to a notorious suicide spot and jumping over high barriers is "impulsive"

If a nigga is going over the barrier at the Golden Gate, he's thought about the subject and this isn't a spur of the moment "gee, I just suddenly feel like jumping off this bridge for no reason randomly right at this very moment".

Also - Why are they doing this.

My Body. My Choice.

Isn't California a Pro Choice state?

>Jumping the golden gate bridge is the only place high enough to kill yourself

>jump off bridge
>land in net
>jump off net

...okay?

:(

BIG

Ok so updated cost total was 35 million in 1933, adjusted for inflation that is 645 million. Even then a third of the original cost of the bridge for a net is pretty steep.

Maybe they can open a late abortion section in the fence

>Heat sensitivity
No wonder he ended it

California will make any excuse to put the next generation into more debt.

This story was sad.
I remember season 2 of League of Legends when the game first started getting big, he was a concept artist.
The police arrived too late and he had blown his brains out with a shotgun.
F

why prevent san fran residents from killing themselves?

>If a nigga is going over the barrier at the Golden Gate, he's thought about the subject and this isn't a spur of the moment "gee, I just suddenly feel like jumping off this bridge for no reason randomly right at this very moment".
It's not a continuous unstoppable chain of events from deciding to start up the car to actually making the jump. The person can stop at literally any time. Even climbing the barrier isn't the final step. Jumping is.

People "start" a suicide and then don't follow through all the time. I've done it myself. Doing the actual final thing that kills you IS an impulsive decision, and everyone who's trying to commit suicide is looking for a reason not to. Putting a hurdle in their way, even a tiny one, will stop most people.

>Will build fence to stop people making the decision to take their own lives off a bridge
Wow they want to stop a wall to stop illegal immigrants but they build a barrier to stop citizens killing themselves?! Such oppression in the modern world SF won't even let people make their own decision. We need to protest

If people want to die let them fucking die

While I think the net is dumb as shit, this is true. Unfortunately, everyone's going to know there's a net there and will probably just make an impulsive decision somewhere else.

>35 million in 1933, adjusted for inflation that is 645 million

An ounce of gold in 1933 cost $32.32

An ounce of gold today cost $1280

35Million * 1280 / 32.32 = 1.4 Billion

Maybe instead of building something that won't work anyway, they make their state less of a shithole to live in?

Now that looks like FUN, FUN, FUN FUN.
Shooting star videos.

>walk into traffic

>die

>jump off net

>die

well fuck, there goes 200 million!

>protip: its both

Yep.

But it will take time for that transition to happen, and in that time some lives will be saved. Everyone who was going to kill themselves on that bridge now won't, and though other people might do it somewhere else those people will keep on living. Mostly. Some of them will probably kill themselves some other way, but not all.

Funny that the US has $200,000,000 to save the lives of a handful of suicide cases but no money for universal healthcare though.

1930 27mio$ = 393,849,161$ today

still better than being a leaf

But how could you then funnel hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to your friends?

Learn how to corruption

FASCIST!

Literal retardation

RIP GENE SPRAGUE

"HE JUST WANTED TO FLY ONE TIME"

>california cucks

>better than anyone

no