Christian Alliance General

For Catholics, Coptics, Orthodox, and Protestants alike, we are all brothers and sisters in Christ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8xLg2QlEpH8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church#Main_communion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediatrix_of_all_graces
vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_theory
catholic.com/tract/the-intercession-of-the-saints
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Orthodox here, hows everyone holding up?

Fuck prods
Only good prod is a dead one

Friendly reminder that Israel/CIA/Shariablue create religious threads in an attempt to cause infighting among us. It's classic D&C (divide and conquer). Ignore religion threads: the OP is NEVER sincere with his questions or points. It all just to start a fight.

>protestants
>Christian

Heretic pls go

Well, Catholics are alright by me, even if I don't agree with much of what they believe.

JOIN or DIE

These threads always follow the same pattern.

Everyone sort of agrees at first, and tries to remain civil.
But then they realize there is nothing to talk about, so it just descends into back and forth shitposting about sola fide and who proceeds from who

I admire what you are doing, but you are a fool if you think it will go any other way

Protestants are literally the only real Christians.

>John 5:24
>John 3:16

Catholics aren't Christian

youtube.com/watch?v=8xLg2QlEpH8

Why must every single fucking Christianity general descend into this cancer?
"So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another." "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Or did i misunderstand? Why must we infight because im orthodox, hes catholic, and shes protestant. Its wasted effort. We have bigger problems such as muslims or orthodox jews to deal with.

>tfw you want Christ-Chan to be your waifu but you're Jewish

I love all of my brothers in Christ, we live in dark times I pray for all of you.

This still isn't . Go be retarded there.

"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be anathema. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be anathema."

Why is it looked downed upon not being set on a existing denomination?

been praying for all Sup Forumsacks today
may the light of our lord Jesus shine into the world in these dark times

Genocide of moralistic therapeutic deists when ???

Ideally we should be trying to unify towards a goal. The issue OP has is logic like this is part of the issue itself. Whether we fight against apostates, pagans, or modernists we must uphold what is true and right. Allowing people to "agree to disagree" on the very core aspects of the faith like Protestants and Apostolics only works against this. This is not the time in our history to be nice but to be good.

The religious fighting of our forefathers caused this mess that we're in now in more ways than one and the only way forward from that is to finish this battle as well.

We could possibly do better and have the apostolic faiths (Catholic Orthodox, Oriental) together against modernism and apostates given they are fairly similar much like Protestants can find much unity between them but simply getting along will never prevail as long as there is not substantial unity of worldview between them. Threads like this are a good example of the failures of multiculturalism, which is why it is ironic to find on Sup Forums.

>prayer
>doing anything ever

>NCV
>The New Century Version of the Bible is a revision of the International Children's Bible. The ICB was aimed at young readers and those with low reading skills/limited vocabulary in English. It is written at a 3rd grade level (from the introduction) and is both conservative and evangelical in tone. The New Testament was first published in 1978 and the Old Testament followed in 1986.[1] The ICB was revised somewhat to be a bit more sophisticated (reading level grade 5) and was dubbed the New Century Version, released in 1987. A gender-neutral edition was first published in 1991, supplanting the original.[2]

I can't decide if I want to be Catholic or Orthodox, someone help

Nothing wrong with it per se, so long as you aren't some wishy washy "homosexual sex is totally fine with God" kind of Christian.

>Why must every single fucking Christianity general descend into this cancer?

Because the thread itself is trying to reconcile several contradictory groups without holding much truth between them and so in-fighting begins constantly. This happens with Christianity Generals always, which is why Sup Forums moved to Catholic Generals. Every couple months people think Christianity Generals are a good idea again and they start nice and become sectarian fighting.

Lcms Lutheran here. Blessed good Friday everyone.

>hey are fairly similar
They're not, it's a myth

Be Christian instead

Catholics. They are, at least, one church.

>Presently, there are two communions that reject each other and, in addition, some schismatic churches not in any communion, all three groups identifying as Eastern Orthodox.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_Church#Main_communion

Well, the Catholics believe that "there is no salvation outside the Church", by which they mean the Catholic church, so they tend to believe that the protestants will go to Hell.

The Protestants tend to believe that the Catholic church does not follow Biblical scripture, and so Galatians 1:8 means that they think that Catholics go to Hell.

Orthodox view Catholics like Catholics view Protestants, and since Protestants are just breakaways from Catholicism, they tend to believe that both Catholics and Protestants go to Hell.

That pic is disgusting blasphemy, idolatry and sacrilege

I like the pomp and ceremony of Orthodox Christianity. Plus I like Russian literature, so that also nudged me in that direction. Remember, religion is about practice. Pick whatever will get you involved and keep you involved. Check out pic related if you want more info on orthodoxy.

Friendly reminder that the Bible
Warned us against Catholics

Revelations 17:4
woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.

>religion is about practice
True religion is about truth

Go Catholic

This
And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Revelation 18:4

And you find truth through developing a relationship with God.

Coptic

I think it depends where you draw the line on core beliefs.
roman catholics, orthodox and almost all protestants can agree on the nicene creed which I would consider to be enough core for us to work together.
I would happily share the eucharist with anyone who can share these core beliefs, whether they be catholic, orthodox or protestant.

I am

I don't understand that image.

It's a pre-packaged Eucharist, some protestant churches use them.

Contemporary=/=Protestant

I still do not understand it; what's a Eucharist?

How do you view things like the Charismatic movement in the Catholic church or the Second Vatican Council?

I don't believe gay people have any right to be married as that is not meant for them.

As for what people stick their dicks into behind closed doors I could not give a rats ass about really.

How does that opinion sit with you as an American christian?

Catholics worship Mary and prays to her
As if a human mortal can forgive and save you

I am the Lord; that is My name. And My glory will I not give to another, neither My praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

Also

Exodus 20:4
You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

Also

Deuteronomy 4:23-24
Be careful not to forget the covenant of the LORD your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the LORD your God has forbidden. For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Also
Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

Also

Deuteronomy 4:16-18
so that you do not act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any animal that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the sky, the likeness of anything that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the water below the earth.

Also

Leviticus 26:1 “Do not make idols or set up carved images, or sacred pillars, or sculptured stones in your land so you may worship them. I am the LORD your God.

Also

Psalm 97:7 All who worship images are put to shame, those who boast in idols– worship him, all you gods!

Also

Habakkuk 2:18 “Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak.

Also
Jeremiah 10:14-15 Every man is stupid and without knowledge; every goldsmith is put to shame by his idols, for his images are false, and there is no breath in them. They are worthless, a work of delusion; at the time of their punishment they shall perish.
Also
Leviticus 19:4 Do not put your trust in idols or make metal images of gods for yourselves. I am the LORD your God.
CATHOLICS READ THE BIBLE.

You can attempt to defend such a claim whenever you'd like.

It is disrespect for those obviously under mortal sin to partake in the Eucharist. Heresy is one of them. Why would you be okay with people you find explicitly under mortal sin desecrating the Eucharist? Or do you not find this to be the case? Please explain yourself.

>roman catholics, orthodox and almost all protestants can agree on the nicene creed which I would consider to be enough core for us to work together.

Protestants would separate from it on relation to the church being apostolic and the nature of the church being "one" to an extent so I'd say your initial claim falls through.

>How does that opinion sit with you as an American christian?
Sin is sin, whether it is done in the open or in secret. But to give the government enough power to monitor and regulate sexual behavior behind closed doors is very dangerous and should be avoided.

>Protestants would separate from it on relation to the church being apostolic and the nature of the church being "one" to an extent so I'd say your initial claim falls through.
So then Orthodox, Catholics, and Coptics can't get along either, since they are so clearly divided and not one.

It's also called communion, The Lord's supper, or breaking of the bread sometimes. It comes from the last supper where Christ gave the disciples bread and said "Take, eat; this is my body", and gave them wine and said "Drink ye all of it; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many unto remission of sins". Furthermore, in John 6:22-58 Christ talks about the Eucharist and it's importance.

For Catholics and Orthodox it's a participation in Christ's sacrifice and Christ is believed to be present during it. Protestants just believe that it's a symbol or metaphor to be done in remembrance of Christ.

It is a blasphemy and a sacrilege, because it profanes the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus Christ, which perfects for all time all those who are being sanctified.
It is idolatry, because of the worship of bread and images, which clearly violates biblical command.

anyone have art of a trap/femboy Christ-chan?

Does anyone know of any charities where I can donate to helping Christians in the middle east?

>For Catholics and Orthodox it's a participation in Christ's sacrifice
That's false, Orthodox do not believe it to be a propitiatory sacrifice

Is it time again to just make fun of protestants?

Prayer =/= worship, and no one believes that Mary or the Saints will save you or forgive you, only God can do that. Prayer to Mary and the Saints are for intercession, meaning you ask them to pray for you. It's no different than asking a friend to pray for you.

The bread and wine in Communion.

The Charismatic Movement is entirely foolish. The gift of tongues is not this gibberish they call "angelic language" and the gift at Pentecost and this is just Protestants trying to more like early Christians again because of the continued meme of trying to be "true Christianity".

V2 has issues, mainly in regards to the idea of a Christian nation, but it still remains a pastoral council rather than one declaring doctrine by any means. I am supportive of traditionalists but I feel many of them are just seeing heresy by confirmation bias.

So those things in the previous image were pre packaged bread circles and wine? Is the reason it's seen as bad because the event is supposed to be personal and not rushed out? Or am I completely misunderstanding the whole thing?

Nothing wrong with busting some balls here and there.

>no one believes that Mary or the Saints will save you
Wrong
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediatrix_of_all_graces

>The Charismatic Movement is entirely foolish. The gift of tongues is not this gibberish they call "angelic language" and the gift at Pentecost and this is just Protestants trying to more like early Christians again because of the continued meme of trying to be "true Christianity".
So for the Catholics practicing it you believe that they are just Protestants in reality?

kind of, it's one of the most Sacred things for non-protestant Christians, It is viewed as the body and blood of Christ, and packaging the body and blood of Christ like a snack or fast food is offensive.

In a 1995 survey, 64% of U.S. Catholics said they disapproved of the statement that "abortion is morally wrong in every case".[50] On the other hand, a 2013 survey by the Pew Research Center found that, whatever views they held on whether abortion should be legal, 53% of white Catholics in the United States considered abortion morally wrong, as did 64% of Hispanic Catholics. Among Hispanic Catholics, this percentage did not vary significantly between those who went to Mass at least once a week and those who did not, but there was a considerable difference in the case of white Catholics, with 74% of those who went to Mass at least once a week declaring having an abortion to be immoral, as compared with 40% of those whose religious practice was laxer.[79] A 2008 survey found that 65% of American Catholics identified themselves as "pro-choice", but also found that 76% of these "pro-choice" Catholics believed that abortion should be significantly restricted.[80] In the same year some 58% of American Catholic women felt that they did not have to follow the abortion teaching of their bishop.[81] Only 22% of U.S. Catholics held that abortion should be illegal in all cases.[82]

A 1996 survey found that 72% of Australian Catholics say that the decision to have an abortion "should be left to individual women and their doctors."[50]

Babylon is the entire World Order. Every merchant from every land plies her waters, and they weep at her downfall. The Saints of Guard are the Vanguard of New Creation, a Royal Priesthood and a HOLY NATION whose job it is to persecute the war against Sin and Death in order to claim territory for the Kingdom of God. But one thing about the verse you cited is very true: WE MUST COME OUT FROM HER AND BE SEPARATE.

All that really matter is ultimate final allegiance to Jesus as King of a Kingdom composed of all the saints. The rest naturally follows. No one who disobeys his King deserves a place in his Kingdom. Theology will not save a man, because did the Lord not say "there will be many in that day who say to me, 'Lord, Lord... And I will say, depart from me for I knew you not." Those know know their king, who enlist in HOLY WAR FOR THE SAKE OF ALL LIFE will inherit the new creation and rule together with Christ. All who do not obey their King, who do not bend their ear to his words and listen to his commands will fail at their objectives. They have already greatly compromised the Kingdom. When the Judge returns, they will be found outside the gates of the city.

Christ is returning to this board in an unheardof way. This is a sign, a green shoot. Believers, examine yourselves against Christ's commands and his goals and objectives. Are you one body with his Church in your town, working as hard as you can TO LITERALLY FIGHT THE REAL DEVIL IN REAL LIFE? This is Jesus' war, after all. It is better than any movie or video game. Every book ever written pales in comparison. Now, we think when historians look at this time they will be talking about Trump. The truth is, they will be talking about the return of Jesus. The stage is set, and we are the Happening now.

Catholics mental gymnastics amuse me
Please show me the Bible verses
That states we need to pray to Mary or saints or images
I gave you several verses saying otherwise
Please enlighten me

>In Roman Catholic Mariology, the title Mediatrix refers to the intercessory role of the Blessed Virgin Mary as a mediator in the salvific redemption by her son Jesus Christ, and that he bestows graces through her.

It's through Christ and not Mary

>So then Orthodox, Catholics, and Coptics can't get along either, since they are so clearly divided and not one.

They each believe they are the one church and claim a single church authority on top of being one body. That they differ does not take away from each of their claims.
Protestants simply claim being one body but do not attempt to claim a church authority and so do not claim being one church in the same manner as apostolic faiths.

>It is a blasphemy and a sacrilege, because it profanes the once-for-all sacrifice of Jesus Christ, which perfects for all time all those who are being sanctified.

A re-presentation of it is not doing the sacrifice over again.

>We carry out this command of the Lord by celebrating the memorial of his sacrifice. In so doing, we offer to the Father what he has himself given us: the gifts of his creation, bread and wine which, by the power of the Holy Spirit and by the words of Christ, have become the body and blood of Christ. Christ is thus really and mysteriously made present.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p2s2c1a3.htm

>It is idolatry, because of the worship of bread and images, which clearly violates biblical command.

No one worships the bread. The bread is bread. The form is the same, the substance is different. That the difference between transformation and transubstantiation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substance_theory

I see. In any case, I thank you for educating me on the traditions and rituals of the church. It's quite appreciated.

It may or may not be in the article, but part of the doctrine is that Mary's emotional suffering at the cross is a part of the atonement

I find that churches like the Orthodox churches, the Coptics, the Eastern Catholic and all those churches have let themselves become too insular and drawn along ethnic lines.
They are like the Jews, or Hindus. They end up being too suspicious of outside converts, and no matter how accepting they are, they always will view adherents that are not the "right ethnicity" as "others".

It is no ones fault that it ended up this way, but it does seem to not reflect the spirit of Christianity. What made early Christianity so shocking and unusual in the olden days was how rapidly it spread in nearly all cultures in the known world. It didn't seem to be tied to any culture or bounded by any nation. How could it be? It wasn't just another religion. It was simply the truth, and people were merely accepting the truth.

When you hear about an anglo saxon being orthodox, or a black american being coptic, people even within those religions think its unusual or quaint. Just like when you hear about a black african hindu, or a white buddhist. Even Islam, an ostensibly "universal" religion suffers from this these days. Non-middle eastern or south east asian muslims are treated with distrust.

The only religions where someone from anywhere in the world from any nation or ethnicity can say they belong to and have no one bat an eye at it is Roman Catholicism or Protestantism.
They seem to be one of the few relgions, possibly the only ones, that can ever be considered truly "catholic" in every sense of the word. Why? Because even their adherents don't see it as a religion. It's just the truth. Why would the truth ever be drawn by ethnic lines? That makes no sense. It adds credibility to them.

It is time to throw your entire life away on an insane adventure involving a dead jew, the New World Order, and face to face community-based guerilla memetic warfare. That's the what fucking time it is.That's what time it should have been the whole time for the Christian Nation, but everybody wants their own thing. There is positively zero time for that sort of around-fucking, kindred. Why do we let our lives slip through our fingers like sand when Christ wants to put a lovebrick in our hand and start a movement.

Defend yourself, beloved. Or come on over. We love you so much, and we have been waiting.

fellow Orthobro here, just chilling

Their doctrines are not the same as Protestants so they are not Protestants by definition. They take a very stupid, if not disrespectful, form of worship.

>A re-presentation of it is not doing the sacrifice over again.
Functionally they are exactly the same. Therefore the arguments of Hebrews are equally as valid against it.
>No one worships the bread. The bread is bread. The form is the same, the substance is different
I don't care about Rome's myths concerning it, the bread remains bread, and you worship bread

So Charismatic Catholics are just worshipping in a disrespectful way in your eyes?

How do catholics justify worshiping more then 1 God?

>Functionally they are exactly the same. Therefore the arguments of Hebrews are equally as valid against it.
A memorial of an event and doing it again are two VERY different things, user.

>I don't care about Rome's myths concerning it, the bread remains bread, and you worship bread

The bread remains bread and no one worships the bread but the substance because they follow that "myth".

I would defend that as being the case, yes.

Join or die, brethren. Do not fight amongst each other regardless of doctrine, it is just a divide and conquer tactic (see ). We have Jesus and that is all we need. Shadilay.

So anyway, thinking of becoming a Mormon but I'm stuck on just about everything. Any sites that can argue (reasonably, with a scriptural basis and not CARM-tier websites featuring misinterpreted verses from the NIV Bible or something)

It's a very long explanation, see here:

catholic.com/tract/the-intercession-of-the-saints

It has scripture and writings of the church fathers explaining it.

also bump

You know swearing is a sin right?

>A memorial of an event and doing it again are two VERY different things, user.
Must the mass be done over and over again? Yes. Does it serve as a reminder of sin? Yes. Does it perfect anybody? No.
It is manifestly a different, and therefore false, sacrifice.
>no one worships the bread but the substance
The substance is bread

So no one knows any charities then?

just love one another as best you an. aint rocket surgery

It is important to understand finer points that divide the body, but as Paul would tell you true worship is placing your body into service with the Church to host the Kingdom of God in this yet-saved Age. I agree that charismatic [[[christian]]] music is trash for the most part, although some individuals are true prophets (and generally chafe at the mess they are in), but the greater point should be only obedience to Christ in cooperation with the Saints of God within the context of winning the HOLY WAR against sin and death in the world. Without that, we are like youth in the street, crying "We played the flute, but no-one was dancing; we played a sad song, but no-one was crying." It is not enough to articulate correct belief. Correct belief is a self-serving lie without correct action.

>Enlighten me

Communion of Saints is the teaching that those who die and are given salvation are given life in the Body of Christ. They exist together in the Body of Christ through the shared life of Christ.

The Intercession of Saints is the teaching that those alive can still pray for us. You can ask them to pray for you.

Common criticisms:

>Why even think they'd do it?
Paul asserts that intercessions are to be given to all people by the Body of the Church. Simply because you're alive in Heaven does not mean you stop being part of the Body of the Church.

>You're praying to them!
This is true but the issue here is semantic. Catholics define prayer as communication, not innately worship. What you do in prayer can make it worship. Prayer for saints is simply asking them to pray for you or simply honoring a good person.

>You're worshiping them
There is no worship involved. It's asking people to pray for you and honoring the good people that have lived.

>We're not to bow
This assume that even the Japanese bow used for greetings and goodbyes are sinful, despite their different cultural context. You're saying purely the pure act of bowing to others is sinful and not the intent behind it, which ignores that sin begins in the heart and people will have different things in their heart depending on the intent of the bowing thus the act is not the sin but the intent behind it. The intent behind the teaching of bowing here would be worship. There is no worship of saints, however, simply asking for prayers and honoring them.

>They can't hear you
There is also a mention of saints gathering prayers in the Book of Revelation and the reference to our actions still maintaining a "cloud of witnesses", saying that those who perish still watch over us. And Jesus mentions joy in Heaven over a sinner repenting in the Book of Luke. They couldn't be joyous if they were unable to know of whats going on there.

>God said to pray to him
Yes, when we need. Asking others to pray for you doesn't change this. The only reason it is called a prayer when asking another to pray for you in Heaven is because their unity with God in the first place.

>You could pray to God instead
That's fine. Asking others to pray for you was always just an option.

>It's necromancy
Jesus conversed with Moses and Elijah who died so the necromancy mentioned couldn't deal with this sort of thing, else Jesus would have sinned. If you look into the idea of necromancy at the time you see that it is the summoning of spirits and asking them for answers. This is not intercession.

>Jesus is mediator
Yes. Saints aren't mediators, they're intercessors.

>How do you know they're in Heaven?
As individuals, we have no idea. However, the Catholic Church has the authority to make these statements as they have the teaching authority whose authority stems from the passed on authority set up by the early church and has it's origins in the authority Jesus gave to the apostles to teach the faith that those apostles passed down to their successors. There is a difficult and formal process for this discerning which is called canonization.

>How do you know their patronage?
When discerning whether they are in Heaven or not, the church will look into what they personally dealt with and overcame in their life. Their patronage comes from that. You ask them to pray for you if what they pray deals with their patronage their personal experience will allow them to do a more experienced or better prayer.

Amen, but...

If you are interested in Mormons, you are either interested in something that either the Masons or Anabaptists do way better.In all seriousness, no one prioritizes family, community, and holy living like the AnBaps.

I hope this helps you:

No we cannot be friends just because we all believe in Jesus either you give up your wicked ways and repent or you go to hell.

>Stop the fighting between denominations
You can't stop niggers from being niggers OP

The differences between the churches always seem minor to me and I don't think these threads are really divisive. They help different denominations understand each other. Getting a bit worked up about deeply held beliefs is natural but on the whole the discussions are pretty civil.

Main thing that's always confused me is purgatory, limbo, confession to priests, and this idea that I'm supposed to believe they're the Apostolic church because of age when the Orthodox and Coptic churches have just as much, if not more of a claim to being the one true apostolic church.

That's pretty epic. Almost makes me want to convert.

No, Jesus was not a nice man, and more Christians need to realize that niceness is horrendously overrated. The Imitation of Christ is probably the worst book ever written.