Arrested for DWI, EMT class out of state in two weeks

No court date yet, how fucked am I?

Here's the rundown: First off, I drive maybe once a year, and have never owned a car so I seriously lack driving experience.
I was driving my girlfriend home because she was drunk and I only had a few beers. She rushed me to turn and I ended up turning down a one-way. I knew what I had done the moment it happened, but already had three squads on me. Passed all the tests easily besides my Breathalyzer test (.116)
They kept me and released me within a few hours.
No previous violations.
Minnesota resident.

I have to go out of state to take an EMT class in two weeks.. How the fuck am I going to make it out of this one?

Other urls found in this thread:

aacriminallaw.com/minnesota-dui-laws/dwi-dos-and-donts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>drinking alcohol
>driving
You're a fucking idiot. Stop drinking and driving you degenerate fucking retard

You need a lawyer. Sorry, there's nothing Sup Forums can do for you.

>>I only had a few beers
>.116
Are you a 80 pound Asian woman?

Lexington ave holiday, Eagan? Three Fucking cops on a one way turn.

>.116

Damn dude, that sucks. I got a .09 last year and I barely got the charges dropped after spending 3k on a lawyer. Yeah don't drink and drive. NOT FUCKING WORTH RUINING your life or the life of others.

This is true degeneracy. Thank God for Uber

I didn't even feel inebriated, it was either she drive or I drive.

>Turning down a one way after drinking alcohol

Sounds like you were drunk as fuck lmao.

I hope you do get fucked by the long dick of the law. EMTs are nothing but quacks on wheels. You guys don't know shit but CPR and charcoal and a few other things.

I did a ridealong with EMTs in my teenage years. Some old lady complained she was cold and she had the AC on blast in her house. The EMTs recommend she go to the hospital anyway.

You guys are fuckin' quacks on wheels who rip off old people for a living.

For you, ya dumb drunk fuck who can't hold his alcohol.

prob gonna need to try and get an exemption or gonna need to go for a new field

I'm broke. Figured I'd get a public defender.
Dude how the fuck am I going to go to court? I have to leave the state for school in two weeks!

Honestly, if an EMT is called to an old ladies house, if he says "You're cool see ya later" and she dies, it'd be on him. Better to bring the old bag in.

North ST Paul.
I drive like once a year, never owned a vehicle, realized I was on a one-way the moment I had turned, but it was too late.

Where in MN? Get a Lawyer. Beg borrow steal, but get a fucking lawyer to plead you out to a careless. No fuckingother option. I haven't had a ticket in years, but had been charged with 3 DWIs in MN back in 99-2001. Beat the rap on the first 2. Lawyers. 3rd one I plead out guilty to have the gross misdemeanor refusal to test dropped. It was shit. And is still shit. I'm a medfag, and for the last 14 years I've had to relive that shit and explain what happened whenever I have to renew my license. Shit sucks. It cost me 15,000.00 by the time you calculate in insurance rates going through the roof, fines, and lost time. It's probably double that now.
Pro tip, but too late for you:
>you have 2 hours to blow/blood test. Go off your PBT at the scene- blew a .12 there? Might be good in 2 hours time. Blow a .2? Refuse to test.
>Sell your car if you must, but find a good DWI lawyer. Yellow pages are full of them. It'll cost you 3-5k, but if you can pay a 200.00 careless ticket instead of a DWI? Good investment, and you have EMT shit to think about too.
>Don't get behind the wheel even if you've had 1 drink. No mercy anymore. They make wayyyy too much money off these tickets.

I don't know how the laws are there in Minnesota. But I had to do 24 cs hours recommend and takes classes. When you get your lawyer just ask him if he can postpone your trial date until you can complete w/e require you have to do. But I recommend getting money some way. Because getting a Good lawyer is worth it.

Your court date will likely be after you get back from training. Don't know MN law, but you should be able to ask for a continuance if it interferes with training

There's no way you blew .116 after a few beers. How many did you actually have?

Fuck you, ya shitty driver. I hope you lose your goddamned license.

Too many shitty fuckin' drivers on the road. You turned the wrong way down a one-way street, could've caused an accident.

I feel no sympathy for you. Hope you lose your job prospect as an EMT and your license your shitty fuckin' driver.

Uber you kike. I hope you do jail time.

I don't have any cash for a lawyer, I have to go out of state for class in two weeks man.. I"m honestly scared shitless.
I turned on the one-way because I lack experience driving, not because I was inebriated, and the cops would even back me up on that.

He forgot to mention the 3 shots of Jagermeister

better get a lawyer to fight that dui... nobody wants to hire a emt with a dui

You replied to the wrong post user. I'm gonna need you to stand over here so I can ask you some questions. Did you have anything to drink before posting tonight? Any illegal drugs?

Hahaha! Look. You have 2 options: go with a public defender and get fucked.
Borrow money from your girl, her parents, your grandparents, and sell your sonic the hedgehog collection. And get a lawyer. Cuz those cops? No, they aren't going to attest to shit except what you were charged.

You should probably rant in fb about how everything is your girlfriends fault and turn on the fb live streaming while you go on a shooting spree

Yeah, sorry guys. I usually just stay off the road because I'm not comfortable driving.

I did actually have a few beers, but I had nothing really to eat or drink today.. Now I'm all worked up and can't eat a fucking thing.
That's what my friends were saying, god I hope you're right brother..
Why not just a public defender? What do you think the fine will be like?

>drink more than 1 beer, decides to drive
>have drunk girlfriend backseat drive you into a one-way
>"I didn't even feel inebriated"
>"only a few beers"
>"ok, maybe I drank on an empty stomach"

you deserved this
Also, don't you need to have a spotless driving record to work EMT?

Naw, I take full responsibility.
How is a public defender going to be any different than hiring a lawyer?
My record is clean, and I have never owned a car, I feel like it would probably be dropped to a reckless if i'm lucky.

>but I had nothing really to eat or drink today
Yeah that's kinda important. You fucked up pretty bad man. Time to lawyer up.

Not going to be a lying faggot to cover my degeneracy. Years ago I had a horrible drinking problem and accumulated 3 DUIs. Served time, lost my license, had to do community service, payed fines and all that crap. It sucks and I felt the same way, that I wasn't even drunk. DUI laws are great to protect innocent people, but some of the sentence such as the fines is an obvious money-grab. Cops literally dig deep to rack up DUIs.

Anyway, for a first offense you will likely lose your license for a couple months, have to take a class and at most spend a weekend in jail. No, they do not put first offense DUIs in with big black bubba searching for guys to rape, so try not to cry.

1) Retain a lawyer

2) Don't speak unless directed to by the lawyer

3) If you don't have a lawyer and some time passes before they start asking you questions again, still don't speak. They don't necessarily have to re-read you Miranda.

4) If your GF was charged with something, too you CANNOT have the same lawyer. Any lawyer will tell you that this raises major conflict of interests if you are both defendants in your own cases

5) If you have no previous violations and you're willing to shell out a lot of money for a good lawyer who knows the prosecutor very well, you may even be able to get off with no permanent consequences. I'm talking not just a deferred sentence or a lesser plea, but total deferred prosecution. This is something that a good (expensive) lawyer may be able to get for you. Basically, they approach the DA informally and convince them that your clean record and your current life situation (i.e. that you are making positive life choices, that you are a productive member of society - as proven by your EMP school) indicate that it would better suit the interests of the prosecution to decline to prosecute your case. If this happens, there's no double jeopardy to prevent actually opening a prosecution in the future. What this means in practical terms is that if your lawyer succeeds at making this argument, then you need to keep your nose clean for basically the remainder of your life, or at least until the statute of limitations runs out, because you are completely at the mercy of the prosecutor to exercise his discretion not to charge you.

There are cops with DWI's, and I'd be a "wildland EMT" for wildfire/forestry so I'm not driving or riding in an ambulance.

Lol a few ... exactly how many and what? Even on an empty stomach how could a guy go .1+ ?
OP ... Are you a manlet?

Already went to jail, it was a quick in and out.
Right now i'm worried about a court date interfering with my schooling.
Leaving state in two weeks for my classes, that's what i'm shitting my pants about.

>How is a public defender going to be any different than hiring a lawyer?

Thanks man. My mothers husband also has a family member working for the county, and he said that may help as well.. But I don't have money for a lawyer.. Can't a public defender make the same argument?

Sure they could. But they won't. They make jack shit and gain nothing by fighting for you. The faster they can close your case with a guilty plea or no contest the faster they can move onto defending the other 20 dindus at $45.00 per client.

The criminal penalties you may face in court for a 1st offense of a DWI will vary depending on your BAC. The legal limit for a DWI is 0.08%. However a motorist can be charged with a DWI under this amount depending on the circumstances.
For a BAC of under 0.16%, you will be charged with a misdemeanor and possibly face:
Up to 90 days in jail.
AND/OR
A $1,000 fine.

The Minnesota DPS administrative penalties you may face for a 1st offense of a DWI/DUI will also vary depending on your BAC and the circumstances of the violation. These penalties can be imposed regardless of the outcome of any criminal or court findings.
For a BAC under 0.16%:

A driver's license suspension of 90 days which will be:
No driving privileges for 15 days with limited license for the remaining 90 days
OR
Full driving privileges for a period of 90 days with an ignition interlock device

plus 6 months of DUI school

all that cost a shit load too

Addendum: When I say "good (expensive) lawyer", I'm talking somewhere in the 35k range.

A decent lawyer can get you off with just a slap on the wrist, but there'll still be a crime on your record, albeit a lesser one. But a good fucking lawyer can make it disappear entirely: it never happened, you were never charged, you don't have to admit anything to future employers.

When it comes to lawyers, shop around. Any relatives, friends, friends' parents who are lawyers - ask them to introduce you to someone who knows who the best defense attorneys in your area are. DON'T just pick up the phone and start calling lawyers based on something you read on a website or fucking avvo or something.

You want a good lawyer, you need to get the advice of a real person who knows the best lawyers in your area. It's the only way to know that you're not getting screwed.

Take out a loan. A public defender won't be able to get you off completely free. Here's what a public defender will do:

1) Someone from the office will meet with you briefly in their office. There's a strong chance that it'll be a law school student interning with the office.

2) They won't be able to answer any of your questions about what the likely outcomes of the case could be.

3) They'll try to push you to take a plea. They have huge dockets, and the more pleas they negotiate, the faster they get through them.

4) In all probability, they won't actually see the police report until the morning of the trial if you go to trial. So that plea they negotiated for you? Yeah, they made that without seeing any actual information.

Think of it this way: If you don't have a clean criminal record, your ability to earn a future income is severely limited. Hiring a good lawyer is an investment in your future, and if you have to beg your parents for a loan, then so be it.

this

Do your homework. DWI law is not a simple thing. Google it. Tons of good law firm resources and advice.

aacriminallaw.com/minnesota-dui-laws/dwi-dos-and-donts/

>My mothers husband
Wait, I just realized that you're literally a "my wife's son."

>drunk driving
No sympathy here. I hope you burn, and burn horribly. And if you ever have kids, I hope you get to watch them burn too, while they scream for you help them.

Basically, you're garbage, and you should kill yourself.

I'd also like to point out that if you want to go for the gold (deferred prosecution) then you're not gonna get there with a DUI lawyer most likely. You need someone who's old, respected, and has a good working relationship with the DA. Typically, this means they handle general criminal defense and haven't specialized in DUI.

Now, since you were actually charged, your deferred prosecution is not going to be 100% perfect: most employers are going to want to know if you were ever charged with a crime, so its up to you to decide if you want to tell them the truth.

Some clients, though, I can get perfect deferred adjudication for. These are the clients who know they committed a crime, who suspect that they're going to get caught, and who come to me before they've been charged with anything. With these clients, the deferred adjudication I can get for them is more of a gentleman's agreement between the prosecutor and me to not even bring any charges as long as the client stays out of trouble and maybe does some other stuff (restitution to any victims, etc.) Since you've got a court date and all that, that's not on the table, but you can still get the next best thing if you play your cards right.

They never gave me a court date.
First offence, they just booked me and let me go within two hours.
I can't afford an actual lawyer, so I'm probably going to have to get a public defender.. but like I said; I don't drive often, and have never owned a vehicle, can this work out to my advantage?
In your opinion, how do you think I'll be charged?

the courts dont care if you drive often senpai.. all first offense duis are the same with public defenders

I just scored a DUI in January.

Get ready to get gangfucked by everyone. DUIs cost on average 10k and it's going to take you six months to get out of it.

Hire a good attorney, not the most expensive attorney. I fucked up and spent 4k on the most expensive and biggest name firm in my area. Could have gotten the same service for half that if I wasn't so freaked out when this happened.

Since you've never been in trouble before, it won't be so bad. They'll just fuck out of 10 grand, put you on bench probation for two years. Take away your license for 3-6 months and make you go to a bunch of faggoty alcohol and drug classes.

They already took my license for 90 days.
Fucking 10 grand? I'm fucked.

I thought they'd set up a date for your arraignment. If not, then that's good; if you spend money on a good lawyer, you can still get the best outcome. But since you don't have the money for that, then it doesn't really matter. But DON'T get a public defender. You'd have a better chance talking to the prosecutor yourself and just trying to get mercy that way.

>In your opinion, how do you think I'll be charged?

I don't know the specifics of the Minnesota Criminal Code, so I couldn't tell you. And beyond that, it just varies from prosecutor to prosecutor as to what their practices for first offenses are. It may even be the case that prosecutors aren't allowed to agree to lesser charges in the absence of factual insufficiency, which is the case in some jurisdictions.

But you NEED to have a lawyer that's not a public defender. Even a cheapo DUI lawyer will work out better for you than a public defender.

Our criminal justice system simply wasn't designed for public defenders to take on the role they have today. I respect their work, but the system is built for them to fail because they've only been artificially grafted on relatively recently in our nation's history.

>Either her or I

Or a cab, Uber, a friend or you just fucking walk back. I have witnessed my best friends deaths because of stupid idiots like you.

It's not a valid excuse. You are a fucking degenerate. Somebody ought to slap some sense into you.

you might have to get an interlock device before you get your license back... its all about money an d time for u now

I wasn't sloshed, I wasn't even slurring my speech. The officers mentioned on 3 separate occasions that I did not seem intoxicated and even wrote it in their notes. I easily passed every test besides the breathalyzer, which I also thought I would pass.
I didn't get into the wrong lane because I was drunk.
I got into the wrong lane because I'm a shitty driver, and I was rushed into making a quick decision.

MINNESOTA BEST STATE!

>be vet
>cousin is also vet
>go get wasted on veterans day
>turn into my little neighborhood
>get pulled over
>tell cops we're vets and I just back from deployment
>cops says have a nice evening and fucks off