So why do so few countries have nukes?

So why do so few countries have nukes?

While we're at it, where does nuclear material even come from?

second question answers the first.

?

few countries have nukes because they don't even know where nuclear material comes from.

do you know where it comes from user?

having nukes is expensive and most people don't need them

>better watch out for muh sampson option!!!
>80 nukes
What?

The abundance or Uranium in the Earth's crust is pretty low, Plutonium is essentially much non existent. On top of that, you need a specific isotope of Uranium to make a bomb which is rarer still, thus meaning you need a expensive enriching process to separate them.

>Essentially much

don't get Sup Forums to do your homework for you
google this shit yourself.
just don't fall for the nukes use refined uranium disinfo

There's a treaty that most countries have signed that, if you sign it, you get a good deal of aid but can't develop nukes.

quiet you
you bongs started the whole atoms for peace bullshit and are directly responsible for the amount of Pu in the world
did you know that you fuckers pay like 80 bongbucks a year to store your Pu pits?
why don't you do something with it?

If you don't need enriched uranium for a bomb, surely they would be a lot more common? It's not like it's hard to get uranium ore and shit off the internet, anyone who is able to extract uranium from ore would also be able to make a crude ww2 era nuke with it.

Simple - they have 20 different sources of Uranium(which can be distinguished btw.) and will drop them on targets that will generate retaliation. Russian-Uranium armed nukes will be fired at the US, Indian at Pakistan and Saudi Arabia and so on.

>his country hasn't even a single nuke

>not knowing uranium ore is quite common
>forgetting about syntheitic neutron sources
>dismissing thorium

It is not in other countries because the nuclear kids club bankrupt countries who pursue it and you have to give up a lot of resources to refine uranium/build a Pu reactor and build the bombs

btw. as for the OP's question

There's a treaty that makes all the "I wanna have a nuke and be like the big boys now" nations international pariahs running from ~70s plus, intelligence agencies of many countries try to assassinate and otherwise get rid of scientists involved in nuclear programs leading to bomb development. For example recently there were some top secret papers released showing that one of our communist dictators had his secret team of scientists(working on nukes) assassinated by KGB in the 1970's.

You have these things called enrichment plants. In there you usually have centrifuges that separate u-238 and u-235 (which is fissionable, the other isn't).

To shorten the explanation; you make the uranium to gas with flourine (because it has only one weight) and then spin the gas in the centrifuge. Repeat this process enough, removing u-238 (or if you want just take the higher concentration of u-235 part out).

This is measured in SWUs. If you have 1 SWU it will take x amount of time to produce x amount of fissionable material. To have an fission bomb, you need around 2kilos of over 80% u-235, if my memory serves right.

If you have one centrifuge, you are able to produce fission bomb, it is just matter of time.

putting up the resources for fizzy uranium are totally wasted in building single bomb
you put the uranium in a reactor with left over depleted uranium and make plutonium to make lots of bombs

you're right, fucking pu in the lus man.

There is plutionium in depleted nuclear power plant fuel, which is true. However, to separate it from other fission products might be expensive (and if you are Iran / NK) you might not have that much nuclear fuel around).

Only certain isotopes can cause a chain reaction needed for nuclear detonation. Extracting a certain isotope from others is a compilcated process and requires very specific machinery.

Using a centrifuge is common - less massive isotopes move further away from the center of rotation due to basic mechanics. But since the isotopes still have very similar masses - differing by only a few neutrons - then an extremely powerful centrifuge is required for the effect to be strong enough.

These kinds of devices are not easy to build or obtain and without them the naturally occuring mix of isotopes can not be used for a bomb.

Also you need some basic knowledge of how everything works in general, but all of it can be obtained from publicly available books, providing you know what to look for.

wait what. We let the turkroaches take care of our nukes?

There's very little to gain from having them, since they aren't a realistic means of retaliation to anything but a nuclear attack.

Also, the problem is only the fuel (high concentration of u-235 or plutonium-239) not the bomb itself. The chain reaction can be produced with fairly easy "gun"-type of a bomb.

You can do immense damage with 80 nukes, user. Life isn't a fucking game where deaths don't matter.

Jesus, we and burgers can held quite a party for this world.

NK: < 10
Americans actually believe this

56kg of 235 un tampered
one centrifuge would take a hundred years and the material would also degrade in storage so would be a nightmare

>where does nuclear material even come from
the ground?

True, Hiroshima bomb had something like that of uranium. My comment was more about minimum requirements.

Yes, with one centrifuge, it would be take too long. I was more commenting about the situation in Iran, where there is "good amount of centrifuges". I don't remember the SWU's they have, but they have enough to actually do it. Might just take long.

Doesn't matter, Dragonfire renders all nuclear delivery mechanisms useless.

Have fun with your now obsolete nuclear missiles.

yeah the whole can't make bombs out of reactor grade Pu is a lie too
you don't need a proper Pu bomb to trigger a tritium/duetrium/lithium thermal bomb, the pits that go in many of americas thermal bombs either require constant coolling (Pu 238 puts off lots of heat) or requires shielding/isolation due to hard radiation from pu240
weapons grade Pu doesn't have these requirements.

Also, countries like Iran wouldn't build a nuclear power plant, they would build a research reactor with the intent of making Plutonium which is how most weapons grade plutonium is produced...well laser resonance can get a lot of pu239 out of reactor grade but literally the reason the nuclear power plants exist is so the governments can sell electricity and get plutonium for bombs
britian was the very first to start the too cheap to meter lie when, infact, their first commercial power reactor took power off the grid and made the plutonium for pennys first Pu bomb

contrary to openheimers expectations the rifle style bomb proved less reliable than the implosion gizmo

>Why do so few countries have nukes?
>What does nuclear material even come from?

Rather than posing this question to Sup Forums a normal human being would do a five second google search to find these answers, or if he was so inclined he could read about the basics of world history and geology at his local library. But not the Brit, for the Brit (not unlike the Leaf, the Burger, or the Aussie) requires constant attention on boards and in threads, it is rumored that if a Brit fails to get his daily dose of attention he will surely perish. And thus their behavior of polluting boards with shitty threads will likely never end.

and a season Sup Forums user would do a 1 second ctrl-f to see if this was mentioned already.

Confused. I did not say that you cannot make bombs out of depleted fuel. If you have enough of used fuel and the chemical process to remove all the fission products, it is "easy". However, like you say, better way is to use a research reactor. They have that in Iran (most countries have this, due to the fact that you need it for medical purposes). Now, if you have a research reactor, why would you even try to separate plutonium from depleted fuel?

I was speaking purely about fission bombs, which is probably wrong since most of the stuff is fusion.

Implosion style apparatus (fission) is also fairly simple device, it is always about the fuel. Well, those fusion bombs are more complicated, but I think that technology is very well known.

>trusting google

not going to make it

History of this stuff is very interesting though. That destruction of heavy water plant in Norway included.

my bad, i articulate worse than reddit lately.
my whole point is the reason bombs arn't everywhere is because the first to the table nuclear club decided to do everything they can to prevent other countries from developing nuclear bombs
If a country didn't have to worry about being the most hated in the world, they could bootstrap a thorium breeder and make plutonium (india has a thorium breeder because they are smart)

>Pakistan was allowed to make nukes
How did this happen?

yeah i still believe the no-ways were helping hitler make a bomb

same way india got theirs
said they promise to to make electricity
break their promise

Think some mudshit who worked on it in America took the technological knowhow back to the motherland type shenanigans.

Do I remember correctly, that Germans canceled the project early because of miscalculation?

World would certainly look different without that calc error. They would have been first to achieve it (because Germans).

India indeed is smart playing with thorium. It has been while since I have been doing anything in this area, even though my education is in physics side of this thing. I can't even remember if thorium actually have fissionable isotopes (I believe it does)?