>2018
>still using primarily diesel trains

why are americans so dumb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PtuDunAIpks
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cause who cares if it's bad for our environment or nonrenewable, we will all die before it starts to make a very noticeable impact.

diesel fuel contains lots of energy per unit weight, it's a perfect fuel for trains and ships.

this sure is a great political topic
excellent thread austria

Solar powered electric trains with built in starbucks when?

ffs

This

I am a hopeless loser who has never had a gf. So it's not like I have to worry about my kids or anything.

Its ok if you guys run out of fuel or have to buy it from Russia user, you don't have to be upset.

>2018
>exhaling carbon dioxide
Why are biological beings so dumb? Don't they know aerobic metabolism is bad for the environment?

trains can run on vegetable oil, retard. the first diesel engines ran on peanut oil

You sound like a boomer.

They think trains are communist. No joke.

kek

I just want old steam locomotives back

the aethestics were godlike

>what is an overhead line

less burgers more books

Diesel trains are cool desu. Plus the amount of track they have is beyond electrifying. The US power grid is notoriously shit too so I doubt they could really stand to electrify their rail network.

You guys use overhead electric for freight as well or just commuter? Most urban commuter trains use electricity but freight is still diesel

nope

Diesel is the best

youtube.com/watch?v=PtuDunAIpks

transmission loss over electric lines makes electricity inefficient compared to diesel. plus, all electric motors are only fifty percent efficient in themselves. so if you like to pay more for less, enjoy your electric trains.

Replacing the technology would mean some people who are currently making money wouldn't keep making money.
It's healthier for the politicians to not deal with it.

Because diesel is cleaner than coal/ no energy is lost due to transport of fuel. Leave the Engineering to your Arab neighbors.

I'd like to see that pull 2 miles of loaded coal up a 2.4 grade.

What is a gauss accelerator?

>p

>electricity goes out
>train stops

Damn straight.

doesn't solve any of the problems associated with the cost of electric trains vs diesel trains....unless you are suggesting some kind of perpetual motion. you aren't suggesting perpetual motion are you user?

because we have states that are bigger than your whole country you fuckwit.

They run generators. The trains run on electric engines Doofus

makes no difference

sorry i don't live in a second world country

electrical motors are near 100% efficiency

and the generator runs on what?

>Diesel
>bad
>muh exhaust
Diesel is made of by-products of gas, literally nothing wrong with it

>single stack containers
>train so short it doesn't need helper units
Only passenger trains are communist. Free market freight trains are literally rolling Capitalism (except for the eminent domain... BOO)

>electrical motors are near 100% efficiency

>Europeans bashing north American rail usage again

At it's peak there were over 400,000km of rail lines in the United states. The moon is only 380,000km away to help put that number in perspective.

That is more km of rail than all of Europe combined (Germany is the single largest rail user at 40,000km of rail lines).

How many nuclear power plants would it take to switch all of America's railroads to clean electric locomotives? Some areas have very low population density and electric power distribution is not lossless (about 6% of electricity is lost to the lines and transformers as waste heat). You will have tens of thousands of km of energized power lines waiting for that one train to pass by twice a day.

They did look at electric rail for a few mainlines, and cities run their own electric commuter services. Cargo is out of the question though.

America is just too big and lacks the population density to pull it off.

Canada is even bigger and has a fraction of the population so it would be even more difficult here.

Occasionally 25 kV is doubled to 50 kV to obtain greater power and increase the distance between substations. Such lines are usually isolated from other lines to avoid complications from interrunning. Examples are:

The Black Mesa and Lake Powell Railroad which is an isolated coal railway (60 Hz).
The now closed Tumbler Ridge Subdivision of BC Rail (60 Hz).[9]
The Sishen–Saldanha iron ore railway (50 Hz).

>Uses overhead line
>Powered by fossil fuels

Thanks train nerds.

Am i right in thinking that the diesel motors in modern trains just power electrical motors on the wheels or is that just some bullshit that i read somewhere?

Uhhhhh

Do you have any idea how big the US is?

Do you know how large the American rail system is compared to you puny Europoor states?

Moreover, we have private railroads. They can choose to electrify when it makes sense economically. The Milwaukee Road tried to do that in America. Oil is so cheap here that it doesn't make sense to string up wire all over.

That is true. Diesel-electric, technically, just like submarines.

what are powerline energy losses through resistance?

wind powered trains?

Those BNSF locos are diesel electric faglord.

Because it works fine and is reliable

t. A diesel and stock car mechanic

How co e americans wont adopt the bullet train

There are two kind of diesel locomotives, diesel-electric and diesel-hydraulic ( I guess most of them are from Voith) but yes generally the engine just drive a generator that power the eletric traction motors.

>it's another european not realizing the US is markedly different from Europe demographically and geographically thread

>2018
>Austria still only known for daughter-fucking.

>and the generator runs on what?
freedom juice

>completely linear layout
>labyrinth

Because someone would drive it into a school.

EUROTARDS BTFO. Why are all of you such pretentious faggots?

Also, I saw that documentary on Fritzl. You all live in concrete commieblocks in Austria. If anyone is second world, its you.