How do people in non-english countries learn to write english well, but not speak it?

How do people in non-english countries learn to write english well, but not speak it?

I see these dudes on video games all the time, they type flawlessly. Punctuation, proper grammar, syntax, capitalization. "I am unable to properly explain this tactic through messaging. Try my discord channel, we'll talk more there."

I get on Discord and they sound like this:

"hibbi dibbi boop beep ey yu biji fop i beleef in de allah hobby bop"

Is English just a hard language to speak? I assumed it would be harder to write.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jNJ5mK26mZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY
youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5TL1l9QYQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Spoken fluency is harder than written fluency. When you are writing you have all the time you need to plan the sentence structure.

Punctuation rules are basically the same in all languages, so that's not a problem.

Americans just write poorly because they are shockingly illiterate.

English is insanely easy period. I was born French, but learned to speak English almost perfectly in about 2 years through playing MMOs with Americans. I still can't wrap my fucking around French.

It's easy to read it, write it and understand it by listening.

My pronounce mixed to my accent is terrible, though.

I guess that's what happens when you learn the language through videogames/movie/school and not by interacting with human beings who speak that language.

when you study english in non english native country, your pronounciation will be learnt through local teachers and peers. you dont actually get to hear native english in school, only in internet.

I still bet your accent is so thick nobody would understand you. I even asked people with this issue experimentally if my American accent was difficult to understand. They tell me I should do radio. Or at least, I think that's what they told me. Sounded like "Dyu sheld deee rabidibido hopsotch jengem".

Maybe you guys should try listening to radio or talkshows or something. I tried this when I was trying to teach myself gaeilge. I didn't learn shit because I gave up because I'm a lazy American, but you tiny-country tryhards might be able to pull it off.

English is hard for me to pronounce because russian phonetics are too different
I don't have that problem with german though

Here in Russia most schools teach you a specific pronounciation, which is further on enhanced by the accent.
For example, I have no fucking idea how to make the sound 'th'. All the internet guides, explanations from teachers, my already mediocre speaking ability just fucks it all and I no matter what make the 'z' sound.
I'd assume it's better when you're taught English right alongside your native tongue at the same time, from early years, and hear people talk in it as often as in the native tongue.
Don't get cheeky, though, it's extremely easy to tell when a non-native speaks Russian, even if they know the proper pronounciation they can't get rid of the accent.

try speak a language that isn't your native tongue, or ask someone from texas to drop his accent

and no, if you speak spanish; your accent isn't good

The english teachers I had in HS weren't native speakers and their teaching methods weren't really interactive. Even when we were speaking it was between students and everyone had a shitty accent

I read your entire post out loud in a russian accent and it's the best attempt at a russian accent I've ever done. I'm going to save the text from your post and practice. I have jamaican down perfect, russian can be next.

Amazing. I heard Russian accent goes well when you descend into the nigger tribe territory known as 'the hood'. Do try it out.

I have Texan relatives, and family reunions puts a twang on my usually normal accent.

Texan accents really do make people sound a bit more dumb, more careless. They're not all redneck retards though.

>you tiny-country tryhards
aaah

>talkshows
If you don't have legs, no matter how much you watch runners do their job you'll never walk.

I've pretty much only been communicating in English for the past 6 years, I pretty much lost my Quebecer accent. Most people I talk to think I'm from Ohio.

It's the same as trying to mimic a variable accent in your own language, I imagine. You're just learning the accent of another language. You could know english better than anyone alive but if nobody understands you because your accent is thicker than cum glue that isn't worth shit. Why even learn another language?

It's not the same.
For example, Moscow residents have a slight tendency to pronounce o's in some words as 'a'. Meanwhile some more Eastern regions, and especially the remote vilages, have this specific village talk, where they pronounce o's far firmer. Moooskva against Maskva.
Meanwhile there simply isn't an accent here that uses a sound alike 'th'. It's like trying to learn the clicking nigger languages, your vocal chords aren't trained for that.

Well through internet reading and writing in English is way more common than talking. So they are just used to it.

>"hibbi dibbi boop beep ey yu biji fop i beleef in de allah hobby bop"
that's chav speak innit

Bro, you just put your tongue on your front teeth and humm with your mouth open. relax your tongue and humm air through the gaps in your top teeth, don't let air go anywhere except through the teeth.

I feel like I'm being fucked with. Good thing I'm not in private, or I'd actually try this shit.

Seriously though, for whatever reason I cannot do this. Same as you probably can't outclick a Somalian or some shit.

For reals not fucking with you m8. Try it quietly then, I want to see if this works for you. I'll go to bed feeling like I changed the world in some way. I could take up a career in speech therapy. I'm good at describing things and that's the best way I can think of to describe the 'th' sound. "the" is that plus letting your tongue drop from your teeth.

try learning a foreign language and see for yourself
also

That's an accent, America. You have one too, and it probably sounds ridiculous to us, depending on where you're from.

You'd better not be from New York. I thought that shit was a joke until I heard it in real life.

I have the same accent as Tom Cruise in all his movies.

Because most languages are easier to write than speak, because normal people do not pick up accents easily, so they sound like retards trying to get their point accross, but at least, they're trying.....

Or they just use Google Translate and copy/paste what they want to say.

Have you ever had to learn a foreign language in school. It's a HELL of a lot easier to write than to actually speak one. With writing, you don't need to worry about pronunciation/accent. You can make sure to conjugate things properly instead of needing to do it off the top of your head as you're speaking.

he's not wrong

That's how I say 'the', I till make the sound too rough, for some reason. It turns out to be a so firm 'ze' I can feel vodka dripping out of my spleen.

You can tell the difference between google translate and proper grammar. If they had been using google translate it would have been

"You am is are good at is with videogame flying yes"

Tongue isn't far enough forward, you're putting your tongue just behind your teeth. You need to make your whole tongue flush with the very bottom tips of your top row of teeth.

Because when you spend your entire life speaking your native language with those around you, in most cases more than you're on the computer, that leaves a print in how you pronounce letters, often the same way as you pronounce it in your native language. There is not much you can do about that other than speak english, which is what these people you're referring to seem to be doing.

Blame the atrociously bad English teachers who can barely speak the language they're teaching. The students are put in an environment where speaking their whatever (Hunglish) accent is completely acceptable and they actually get a pat on the head if they say kántrí, szükszesz instead of kontrí, szákszes or some shit. It also doesn't help it that most people don't actually use English aside from watching MUH FUNNY VINE Compilations and nigger videos till they pass out. Should you actually ( or at least try to) speak like a normal person, they don't understand what the fuck you're saying and neither does the teacher.

Most people on the internet just have way more practise writing in English than speaking it.

You'd be amazed how Google translate has evolved.

You're trying to pronounce the /th/ sound? It's actually quite easy. It's the exact same thing as an /s/ except instead of your tongue being on the ridge right behind your front teeth, it's almost touching the backs of the two front teeth.

Honestly the hardest sound in english is probably our /r/. AFAIK it's completely unlikely the /r/ in any other language. Everyone else trills their /r/s on that same ridge behind the front teeth I mentioned earlier, whereas we bunch up our tongues to make this "errrrr" sound.

This is some high-degree Warp fuckery. Thank you for your assistance, though, have a reward.

fpbp

Additionally, many of the English sounds are hard to pronounce for some peoples.

can confirm, am learning French and i am passably fluent when reading/writing it but if i had to speak or listen to someone speak i'd be totally lost

Weird. I pronounce /r/ without touching the teeth at all.
Maybe I'm just incapable of proper speech. That would explain a lot of things.

For the "th" sound you put your two upper front teeth on your tongue and either blow out air as in "thick" or also vibrate your vocal chords as in "the"
For the "z" sound, you put your upper and bottom teeth together and vibrate your vocal chords while blowing out air through your teeth

>Weird. I pronounce /r/ without touching the teeth at all.
No, Russians (like most people) pronounce their /r/s by tapping the ridge JUST BEHIND the front teeth

I do this on purpose. While my team mates waste brain power trying to understand my ramble I design strategies to win the game, and just then I put on my decent accent.

>For the "z" sound, you put your upper and bottom teeth together and vibrate your vocal chords while blowing out air through your teeth

dafuq? That's not how you make a /z/ sound. You make a /z/ by putting your tongue in the same place as /s/ (on alveolar ridge behind the front top teeth) and blowing air while buzzing your vocal chords.

Excluding the case of ruskies, vowels are definitely the hardest thing to get used to along with th. It still baffles me how George Soros
can manage to speak with a thick hungarian accent after all these years. youtube.com/watch?v=jNJ5mK26mZ0

It's not a hard language to speak, it's just a matter of practice.

Written language and phonetical communication are two separate abilities that require two different cognitive (and muscular) processes.

Written English is available everywhere, but it's very difficult for people in other countries to practice the phonetic side. Understanding spoken English can be practiced via movies/media; but you just don't have that many opportunities to speak English with native speakers.

It's like any complex behavior or skill, like playing an instrument: even if you know how to play the piano and play it well, if you stop practicing you will gradually lose your ability to play it at that level. I used to be bilingual, but it's been a while since I've been to the States and when I speak English now I can feel my accent is way off.

Yeah they'll just think you're another degenerate criminal like them, part of the Russian mafia or something

>why are they better at something they do every day compared to something they hardly ever do?
really gets my neurons firing

What does english sound like to your ears? I'm especially curious about our P, T, and K sounds, because they are done differently than basically every other language.

>our P, T, and K sounds, because they are done differently than basically every other language.

What does that even mean?

I don't know what you mean. In fact, I think Americans pronounce P, T and K very similarly to the way Spaniards do... except for the explosive ending. All your consonants seem to be "explosive", they have like a "shock wave" of air. Our consonants are the same, but shorter, without that explosive ending.

Check this out if you want to know how you sound to us:

youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

youtube.com/watch?v=Kj5TL1l9QYQ

Oh right, you did talk about the ridge. Nevermind, then.

aspiration

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. When there's no "explosion" at the end, we actually can't tell the difference very well between p and b, t and d, or k and g.