Prove that building a Cabin, and living off the supply chain is a bad idea Sup Forums

Protip:

You can't

It's actually the ultimate redpill.

it's a great idea

being on the grid is a death wish these days

How many children does he have?

That's the one thing he didn't do. So obviously children would need to be included in any plans.

why does it always have to be a cabin?
You can build a modern home just as cheap if you stick to simple construction methods and design.
You can build a 12 x 30 house for less than 5k if you shop around (just the building itself, no insulation or interior work), build something that will be warm and will last. Cabins are cozy but its a lot of maintenance keeping it from leaking and rotting. It is wise to have 10-15 good acres in a remote area though. A solid investment, you will be able to retire early because you wont be spending as much. With a good cistern, well or spring you will never want for water. Solar power is economical and turn key now ways but hydro power is more reliable. Don't bother with wind. It costs to much to get it to work with batteries and solar right and tend to suffer mechanical problems. Wood gas is also a good intermittent source. A nice huge gen set running on wood gas is awesome for large power tools and motors.

Is it really living off the grid when you have a bush pilot friend periodically bringing you supplies and food?

This is actually called the dick pill

T. Been to his cabin

All fine and dandy until you encounter a bigfoot

This.

Honestly the cabin for me would be a temporary dwelling while I build my timberframe home. Connect that to a woodburing furnace, Solar and hydro electric.

Have small plots of vegetables and maybe animals.

Yes.

Ultimately truly offgrid is a meme. You need some things from the real world. the idea is to massively reduce this reliance though.

More comfy to just live the farmer life

The price of solar really has dropped and if you know where to look you can get great deals. Most people think a dollar a watt is good, but you can get 75 cents a watt with a little work. I've been on the hunt for a while and found it as low as 56 cents a watt for individual panels or 25 cents a watt for a pallet. I am considering buying and selling them.

Not anymore, just look at france. Their farmers have one of the highest (might actually be the highest) suicide rate of their country

French farmers have a high suicide rate means its a worldwide occurrence that all farmers have a high suicide rate?

yes

>wood
>lasting

Stop being a cheap faggot and use concrete and steel frames.

That shit will last forever with no maintenance and will require no insulation. It's also not much more expensive and you can later use it as foundation for a bigger structure.

>t. Grandfather built several to store tools and shit and they still stand today. Not a single scratch on em.

Most people who want a remote cabin, want it to get out of the rat race and the don't have that kind of money. With metal siding and roof a wooden standard stick built house can last more than 100 years.

>Implying concrete and steel are easy to repair with simple tools
>Implying it is easy to get these materials if society collapses.

concrete dosent last as long in the north because of frost action, same goes for asphalt.

My family is from Mexico and they build their houses for cheap using steel and concrete. And my familia isn't rich by Mexican standards at all, I'm sure you guys could afford it

I just want to live in that house from exmachina that is so remote you can only access it by helihopper

That house is beautiful, very well designed

DIGITS