Can you redpill me on ((((Modern art)))) and the "everything is art" social construct? Do you have any book...

Can you redpill me on ((((Modern art)))) and the "everything is art" social construct? Do you have any book, article about this? Is the Art Culture full of unskilled people who have to hide behind "muh you can't criticize this subjective piece of art"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0yHy9JdF5aY
strawpoll.me/12774575
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it's pretty nuanced

Only one thing to know : buying "art" is often exempted from taxes.
It's an investment that can change hand easily and against which the IRS (or local equivalent) is powerless.

That's why rich folks are willing to pay 6 gorillions dollars for a painted turd. They don't give a fuck about "art". It's just fiscal shenanigans.

You can't draw attention to well painted picture anymore, because everyone has cameras now.
The only way to draw attention is doing something shocking and retarded.
Pretty obvious

Artistic expression means anything has the potential to be art, no matter the skill involved

"art requires skill"/"only realistic art is True Art" is a holdover from back when "art" was mostly commissioned pictures of rich people. because they couldn't just have a photographer take a portrait of them. in that sense, the closest thing to "true art" we have today are skilled furry artists who charge $400 for a lovingly rendered picture of two animal people bumping uglies

art goes beyond the art piece itself, it's also about intent. a can of shit might or a urinal not be 'art' but it has a meaning, it's transgressive, it fucks with the barrier of what is and isn't "true art". in the same way, a Jackson Pollock isn't art because it's a canvas with paint on it, it's art because it shares art galleries with traditional pieces and it's got a recognizable name behind it

art history and the interpretation of art is a huge subject. you're not going to get a satisfactory answer from a Sup Forums thread.

/ic/ here
The short answer to your question is "Yes"
A longer answer is that ignorance reigns supreme among humans and thinking is ultimately much harder than believing in your own ignorance.

Also please dont spread the "painting is obsolete because cameras" idea, all it does is make you look dumb and show that you dont know anything about art

youtube.com/watch?v=0yHy9JdF5aY

Modern art is a way of ridiculing art and therefore ridiculing culture and history as a way of destroying the Western identity.

I saved this synopsis from here a long time ago. Knew it would come in handy:

Short version: it's a scam.

Long version:
Art has become a tax evasion loophole for the ultra-rich. Instead of having a million dollar, you just get some shitty modern art piece that you will sell to someone else when you need liquidity. Maybe eventually it'll stop, but by then, it may well have been bought by some public institution, museum or whatever else, hence bankrolling tax evasion in the name of "art".
That's the economic reason for modern art. The cultural reason is simply pedantry. "Artists" hate more than anything else being similar to the hoi polloi, so they find more and more ways to make sure the average man cannot comprehend their art, despite the average man being more and more educated. To accomplish this, they simply removed the whole "pursuit of beauty" from art and replaced it with pseudo-symbolic bullshit that really dont need to make a sense, just need to seems intricate to the outside eye. And intricate it is, since you'd try to find meaning where there is just the equivalent of smashing your head against your keyboard.

Some more stuff:
Once you remove any sort of meaning and standart from art, you're left with art pieces you cant rate other than 'i like/dont like it", and cant formulate much reasons for it. You're left with a field where the most mediocre sacks of trash can still hope to compete off the credulity of acultured "new rich" and middle upper class.
Hence, a way to make richs cough up some dough to incompetent "artists".

Why everytime I ask people to explain why they like Art or a specifically thing they consider Art I always get this kind of shitty responses?

"You can't understand bruh, here a stupid quote from this random famous artist that will explain it for me"

Some of the more "out there" type art like Picasso requires looking at it from a more open stance which led to people trying all sorts of bullshit and then telling stories to try to get people to interpret it as something more.

Modern art has gotten to a point where it can't be interpreted on its own which makes it worthless, since it often requires having someone tell you a story to try and make you see something that isn't there a la The Emperor's New Clothes.

Technical ability has a great deal to do with art. You can't really express your idea effectively if you lack mastery.

I couldn't do that by hand, so it's art to me.

Modern art is a giant money laundering scheme for drugs, trafficking, etc. a red square on a white background isn't 200m but when you need the money to exchange hands on the books, it suddenly is.

Money laundering scheme and political back-hander when its not possible to repay the patron in any other way. Ergo, the person who funded your campaign actually doesn't have a stake in industry which you can handily employ once elected as compensation. Which means it's highly likely that it's used for repaying criminal sources. It baffles he how it's not under more legal scrutiny because of this.

Actually you can. I know how to explain something I like, I know exactly why I like a movie, or a paint or whatever.

I used to grown up in cinema related enviroments and they are the worst wanna be an artist shitholes in the world. But if I like something I can explain the reason behind it, clearly and without the necessity to pull out abstract and vague shit about philosophy.

Eyyyy, nice Dantes Inferno drop. I'm working on a little value practice using Ugolino and his Sons.

Work in progress, obviously.

Trying to bring back the classical style.

T-that penis is actually p-pretty aesthetic innit?

strawpoll.me/12774575

pls vote

I like both of those pictures honestly
There is worse art out there

I meant an artist who has more skill is more likely to successfully convey whatever it is they are attempting to express. The viewer of art created with skill won't have to perform mental gymnastics to understand what the artist intended.