If Catholics hate gays, why are so many gay men Catholic priests?

archive.is/6Uis5

So how many gay priests actually exist? While there’s a glut of homoerotic writings from priests going back to the Middle Ages, obtaining an accurate count is tough. But most surveys (which, due to the sensitivity of the subject, admiittedly suffer from limited samples and other design issues) find between 15 percent and 50 percent of U.S. priests are gay, which is much greater than the 3.8 percent of people who identify as LGBTQ in the general population.

As straight priests left the church for domestic bliss, the proportion of remaining priests who were gay grew. In a survey of several thousand priests in the U.S., the Los Angeles Times found that 28 percent of priests between the ages of 46 and 55 reported that they were gay. This statistic was higher than the percentages found in other age brackets and reflected the outflow of straight priests throughout the 1970s and ’80s.

The high number of gay priests also became evident in the 1980s, when the priesthood was hit hard by the AIDS crisis that was afflicting the gay community. The Kansas City Star estimated that at least 300 U.S. priests suffered AIDS-related deaths between the mid-1980s and 1999. The Star concluded that priests were about twice as likely as other adult men to die from AIDS.
Given that the church has called a gay orientation an “objective disorder” and gay sex “an intrinsic moral evil,” it may seem bewildering why a gay man would chose this profession. But it makes more sense after realizing the church encourages sublimation of homosexuality through prayer. “Homosexual persons are called to chastity,” states the Catechism of the Catholic Church. “By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.”

Easy access to male children for them to sodomize, and an establishment that protects them from law enforcement?

Pretty simple really.

So why have the requirement that priests remain celibate if you don't want gay guys in the priesthood?

We don't hate gays, we think sodomy tends to lead to a self-destructive way of life, like adultery, masturbation, contraceptives etc.

>wow I wanna fuck dudes
>the bible says don't do that
>well I guess I'll become a priest so at least I have an excuse not to fuck woman
So complicated

>liberals criticize the Boy Scouts for not allowing gay troop leaders
>they also criticize the Catholic Church for sex abuse caused by gay priests

Doesn't orthodox Christianity allow priests to be married? Why not change that if it would reduce the % of gays involved in the priesthood? How can you have policies seemingly designed to encourage gays into the priesthood while condemning homosexuality?

>Catholics hate gays
lemme stop you right there. Catholics don't hate gays, catholics pity their souls and want them to stop being gay so they can reach salvation

Sounds like verbal gymnastics to avoid having to say you hate gays to me.

>masterbation is self destructive

Thats the equivalent of asking some mudslime if they disagree with all the ISIS killings.

I don't think they're gays that become priests, I think the celebate lifestyle and only being around young boys for most of their life turns them into gay pedos.

Source: I'm catholic

Men of faith who happen to be gay who see serving as a celibate priest as the best way to piously avoid the sin of homosexuality while serving God.

Its far better to be eunuch (castrated) than to use your balls for sin, Jesus said this. Therefore by being a Priest a gay man can get around sexual temptations.

>between 15 percent and 50 percent of U.S. priests are gay
yet they wont apply this math to pedos.
are catholic priest some sort of scapegoat

>So why have the requirement that priests remain celibate if you don't want gay guys in the priesthood?

How is that relevant? You obviously aren't here for a discussion, you are here to copy and paste your shitty opinion about a dumb topic.

Further proof you are here to argue:

You are probably a fag with a chip on his shoulder from being molested and liking it. Go jerk off to your rape trauma again, you retarded queer.

If your statistic range is 15 to 50% You have no clue. 35% margin of error means your data sucks. Fuck off and die OP

I was never molested but I don't see why you need to personally attack me.

>Doesn't orthodox Christianity allow priests to be married?
I don't know nor care.
>Why not change that if it would reduce the % of gays involved in the priesthood?
Why would it do that? You become a priest because you want to give your life to Christianity. Not because it's an interesting career and that it suits your sexual preference.

The modern weakness of Catholicism is far more to blame IMO.

>instant pleasure that you can trigger all by yourself, without any sort of obvious short-term consequence, is never harmful in the long run
Not saying that I've never masturbated, but it's a sin senpai.

Catholics don't hate gays. They hate gay sex. You can be gay as long as you don't fug any dudes.

Yes, catholics are this arbitrary.

U sound like u would enjoy an anal attack

Priests are traditionally de-sexualized professions. Gay men seeking to avoid homosexual urges end up in these de-sexualized professions. Another such profession is teaching.

I don't think you can separate people like that. Denying people freedom to act is cruel. Gay marriage helps reinforce monogamy. I don't know why they wouldn't prefer a priest who was married to another man vs. a closeted pedophile.

We hate any kind of sex that closes the way to conception. How is that arbitrary? The RCC catechism is pretty consistent and understandable on this subject.

>be homosexual before it was remotely socially acceptable to be so
>get socially ostracized and treated different if you're one of those weirdos who never marry a woman even if you're not gay
>group of dudes who are not only expected to never marry, but prohibited from relationships with women
>wonder why so many of them are gay

>You need sex and society celebrating your paraphilia for monogamy.
Arguable.

I don't see it as a paraphilia. Obviously we are never going to agree fully but I think it remains to be seen in 2040 if gay parents are as good as straight parents and no good research exists yet on the subject.

Fraternal birth order effects and the history of the church completely explains this. The priesthood provided a dumping ground for 3rd and 4th sons for centuries. These men have much higher chances of being homosexual than average, just due to birth order. Centuries of culture developing around that priesthood leads to where we are today.

Priestdom and the vow of chastity was a way out for many gay men who didn't want to sin. If a King found out his son was gay or a turbodegenerate he'd force him into robes as a monk or priest.

I see it as a fairly popular paraphilia (more common than footfags maybe) but the point is not saying homosexual are inferiors to heterosexuals.

Just that a promiscuous homosexual is worse than an abstaining one.

Yes a monogamous homosexual sounds less degenerate but you still won't have kids the natural way which is the point of marriage.

If you want to be viewed by society as the same thing as an heterosexual sterile couple fine, do so if you think you'll find happiness in this, the RCC just disagrees.

Then again I'm saying all of this while being an heterosexual planning to have kid next year, I really don't know what I would think if I were a homo.

This is news... how? People who are shocked by this would probably be shocked to know how many denizens of their local gym are also Peter Puffers.

You are DEFINITELY saying homosexuals are inferior people. Surrogacy and adoption are the best we've got.

tbqh that is the type of men a job that requires celibacy is going to attract, men who need to hide their sexuality or hate it, and those are going to be mostly gay men

How can you judge those who you are not as a Christian? How do you know what it is like to be a gay man? Do you believe sexual attraction is unconscious? Do you consciously decide to be attracted to women such as your wife?

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

You cannot know the nature of other men any more than the nature of God and to claim to do so, to me, is more sinful than being gay itself.

>You are DEFINITELY saying homosexuals are inferior people.
How so? I'm saying that you can't have kids the natural way. Some people never had kid and were far more influential that I could ever hope to be.
And again, all I'm saying is you, doing anal sex with your buddy is a sin. Just like me having sex with my gf out of wedlock and with contraceptives. Just like me before when I used to masturbate. We both are sinners.

>Surrogacy and adoption are the best we've got.
Yes, and you could adopt while still being abstinent. But surrogacy is a Pandora box I wouldn't like to see opened honestly.

Beyond the narrow concept of a dogma you are judging people who have a mind you don't understand. You have no idea what it is like to be gay and yet you claim to be able to tell us how to live our lives. It seems like a hollow way to live to judge others in the comfort of your own superiority. Maybe talk to some gay people in real life, get to know them, ask them your questions. To just say my book says to hate your actions so I will, seems Muslim-tier to me. I think you just want to feel better about yourself than other people.

You seriously think all gays are somehow going to become celibate because you tell us to? If you were working to improve the lives of gay people, that would be Christ-like but just shitting on people you don't interact with seems pretty sinful to me.

the celibacy was introduced to keep the lands and goods of the church in the churches hands, Priests cant have kids and therefore there cant be any inheritors for the wealth a priest might aquire. With gays, there wont be inheritors so it's actually not much of a problem to the church because gays wont have kids (unless they adopt but hey, thats why the catholic church doesnt openly support their priests being gay, they ... just look the other way and get faithful workers.

>go on Sup Forums
>see that headline

hehe

>You have no idea what it is like to be gay
I'm a far-right guy that grew in a liberal family and work in a liberal world.
I know perfectly how it feels to never be able to be your true self among family, friends or coworkers out of fear of them not understanding and hating you for a small fragment of your personality.

>It seems like a hollow way to live to judge others in the comfort of your own superiority.
When did I say I was superior to you? I said many times that I were a sinner. I said that masturbation, contraceptives are as bad as sodomy (which also implies oral sex btw), and I've done those things many times. Fuck, even sex out of wedlock is wrong.
There are reasons Catholics stick to those things and those reason are not pissing you off.

>You seriously think all gays are somehow going to become celibate because you tell us to?
No, I'm just explaining the RCC stance on the question and giving my own opinion. That's the point of a forum, debate...

> If you were working to improve the lives of gay people, that would be Christ-like
And here you are telling me how I should live my religion instead of telling you how you should live your love life.

Chill out fag.

LOL

Try meeting some gay people in real life.

Nobody says you have to love me but to judge a stranger seems immoral to me.

Nice way to address 0% of my post. Why do you have be so salty about just one people not celebrating sodomy on the internet?

I just find it odd that you judge us since I have never had thoughts about heterosexual people being in any way immoral or evil. Whatever makes you feel better about yourself I suppose as long as it doesn't affect my life.

I spent years explaining to people why we banned them, ultimately most people didn't understand that we were damned either way.

When did I say that homosexuals were immoral or evil?

Let priests have kids and you'll fix 80% problems of why christianity is dying

That will create a shit load of extra problems. killing christianity was a necessity.

Not really

Nobody becomes a priest anymore because
1.) They want to have a family (and sex)
2.) It is not a respectable job anymore

And the biggest reason for 2.) is that everyone thinks you'd need to be a gay pedophile to want to be a priest these days.

Once being a local pastor becomes as respectable as in 50s american flicks, you'll have much more people joining up who are actually charismatic, emphatetic and care about faith, bringing more people to church

None of my golden cross wearing christian friends even baptized their kids because they dont want them to get aids