Women in the military: US Navy redesigning its submarines

Every submarine in the U.S. fleet was designed with the height, reach and strength of men in mind, from the way valves are placed to how display screens are angled.

That's going to change.

With women now serving aboard submarines, defense contractor Electric Boat is designing what will be the first Navy subs built specifically to accommodate female crew members.

The designers are doing the obvious things, such as adding more doors and washrooms to create separate sleeping and bathing areas for men and women and to give them more privacy. But they are also making more subtle modifications that may not have been in everyone's periscope when the Navy admitted women into the Silent Service.

For example, they are lowering some overhead valves and making them easier to turn, and installing steps in front of the triple-high bunk beds and stacked laundry machines.

The first vessel built with some of the new features, the future USS New Jersey, is expected to be delivered to the Navy in 2021.

Other urls found in this thread:

abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/women-military-us-navy-redesigning-submarines-46885373
youtube.com/watch?v=csTFaXt2Ud0
youtube.com/watch?v=8KfpXZn_Nac
youtube.com/watch?v=PBSzm5ns5TU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Navy lifted its ban on women on submarines in 2010, starting with officers. About 80 female officers and roughly 50 enlisted women are now serving on subs, and their numbers are expected to climb into the hundreds over the next few years.

For now, the Navy is retrofitting existing subs with extra doors and designated washrooms to accommodate women. But Electric Boat in Groton, Connecticut, is at work on a redesign of the Navy's Virginia-class fast-attack subs and is also developing a brand-new class of ballistic-missile submarines, relying on body measurements for both men and women.

"We have a clean sheet of paper, so from the ground up, we'll optimize for both men and women," said Brian Wilson, Electric Boat director of the new ballistic-missile sub program.

Electric Boat officials had no immediate estimate of how much the modifications will cost.

As anyone who watches war movies knows, submariners are always turning valves, whether to operate machinery, redistribute water between tanks or isolate part of a system that has been damaged.

On the Columbia-class boats, valves will generally be placed lower, Wilson said. Sometimes there will be an extension handle, and some will be easier to turn. Sailors will be able to connect their masks into the emergency air system at the side of passageways, instead of overhead.

Emergency air masks are being moved on fast-attack submarines, too, but the bulk of the changes on those subs are to ensure privacy.

Seats in the control room on the ballistic-missile submarines will adjust forward a little more so everyone can touch each display and reach every joystick. Steps will be added so shorter people can climb into the top bunk or see into the washers and dryers, since clothes that get stuck in the machines are a fire hazard.

The first Columbia-class ballistic-missile sub is scheduled to join the fleet in 2031.

At 5-foot-6, Lt. Marquette Leveque, one of the first women to serve on a submarine, said that she didn't have any trouble reaching valves and other equipment but that the ergonomic changes will be helpful for shorter crewmates.

Leveque was assigned to a compartment with two other female officers on the USS Wyoming. They shared a washroom with male officers. A sign on the door could be flipped to show whether a man or woman was using it.

With so few women on board, the timesharing worked, she said. But with more on the way, the need for separate spaces is greater, she added.

"Privacy is important anywhere you are," she said. "We live on this boat, as well as work there."

Source: abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/women-military-us-navy-redesigning-submarines-46885373

bump

Obama has fucked our military so badly with diversity that I wouldn't be surprised if the Norks manage to fight for a couple of weeks instead of having a Desert Storm style steamroll.

>Women in submarines
Holy shit she is going to be a jizz bucket for every guy on board.
I don't want WW3 to pop off, but it would be interesting to see an army of women, trannies, and minorities go to war against a serious military like Russia or China.

Hell let's let downies and paraplegic's in too while we are at it.

>we'll optimize for both men and women
derp

Yeah, this just is asking for trouble.

>Steps will be added so shorter people can climb into the top bunk
wait a second, are they claiming there is a average height difference between men and women?

>PROBLEMATIC!!!!

As a former bubblehead from the all male days, Jesus Tapdancing Christ.

i t thought this crap would end under trump ?

To get in the top bunk you grab a handhold in the overhead and pull yourself up. It's not that hard.

Did you just assume my upper body strength!?!?

As a manlet this annoys these shit out of me extra. We deal with shit if its made for someone taller. Women come into the service, and now everything is redesigned? And they want the same respect?

She better get used to the smell of seamen semen unless navy compromises stealth for cum stench air filtering systems

Its like a car, its still got momentum from Obama and its heading towards a cliff and the brakes only just got depressed now.

Submarines have passive air filtration systems and circulation fans. How do you think they get rid of carbon monoxide? Magic?

>5 10 or so, 22
>walk around mall
>teen girls are like my height
>tfw genetic trash
>eh not gonna have kids anyways, let the 6 3 chads reproduce

Is our navy made of Mexicans? How the fuck are there women under 5 6 in military? I refuse to believe this.

No but what if officer princess is uncomfortable when ppl fart on her love sub? It needs to be higher performance.

What if the valve grips hurt her handy hands?

Subs have literally always been the manlet patrol, why do they need to change the height of shit?

Norks will defeat you and run over Worst Korea if you even try to attack them!

It's because 90% of the women that enlist are either flips or spics. Not even joking. It was like that even when I was in. Subs are pretty much the whitest part of the Navy.

As someone who is 5'7" I can tell you there are plenty of short chicks, white or mexican or asian.

>giving up because you are 5'10"
Yeah your height isnt whats weak, you are.

>Officer
>Touching a valve
But yeah, I'm with you.

You post white women hate threads, don't you?

They probably dont want lawsuits up the ass due to sexual harassment and shit.

This is the state of things.

If a man in a sub can't keep a cool enough head to not cause trouble, he can't keep a cool enough head to do his job in the sub.

So long as it does not disadvantage men, why is this a problem?

Most military chicks I've met ain't prissy bitches

Kek and trannies too. But don't worry if shit hits the fan you'll be drafted to fight while they stay behind.

>grab a handhold in the overhead
overhead? is that one of the ranks on the ship?

>Most military chicks I've met ain't prissy bitches
Actually I agree with you for the most part, but then why must they insist on treating them like prissy bitches?

>5 7 legit manlet calling me weak

fuck off paco you may be tall in Tijuana but in the rest of the world women are like 6 foot.

>women need extra comforts on subs
>need steps for their bunks
>need easier turning valves
This is why I hope North Korea wins the war. We tried to be post-scarcity and became post-civilization

Nah m8 overhead is a Navy thing ;)

You know sailors.

I'm in the U.S. Army. There are a few female soldiers who are high speed, but most of the females are complete wastes.

>redesign subs with extra comfort for the sake of diversity
>increase costs and time to build
>sailors will have to deal with bitchy women on periods
>women who aren't even as physically strong as the men on average
>not a problem

it's above the toilet? help me out here

>tfw my gf is actually 6 feet and im 6'5feet.

It's the area between the roof and ceiling. Since most navy ships/subs don't have ceilings it's exposed so you can grab or work on stuff up there.

>>If a man in a sub can't keep a cool enough head to not cause trouble, he can't keep a cool enough head to do his job in the sub.
Yeah let's take all the normal stress of being on a sub and add sexual tension to it. That's a great idea.
>why is it a problem?
Because it costs taxpayer dollars for no benefit. What good does having women in submarines provide? What tangible benefit? None. There isn't any. It's only being done as a progressive leftist social experiment. So you're wasting taxpayers' money on modifications that add zero effectiveness.

>*Sirens Blaring*
>NNNNNNNNNGGGG
>NNNNNNNNNGGGG
>"Commander we've been hit! Water is pouring in the crew quarters!"
>"CLOSE THE HATCH GOD DAMN IT!"
>"Aye aye, sir!"
>Runs quickly to seal off the flooding, smack my head on a lowered valve and go unconscious
>The female corpsman sees the blood pouring out of my head, she starts having a panic attack, screaming and crying
>"Oh god! Oh god! Oh god!"
>"CORPSMAN WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING TREAT THE CAUSALITY!"
>"Stop yelling at me! Oh god! We're all going to die!"
>Female Officer chimes in
>YOU'RE FREAKING HER OUT YOU PATRIARCH! LEAVE HER ALONE!
>All the women simultaneously start panicking and yelling
>Men and bending their necks and hunched over trying to work with screens and valves made for manlet womyns
>"Commander! Anti-sub torpedo inbound!"
>"EVASIVE MANEUVERS!"
>Female sub pilot shaking, panics at tips the submarine nose down
"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING I SAID EVASIVE MANEU-"
>*BOOM*

Yeah I'm sure this will work out. Diversity is our strength after all.

I laughed harder than I should have at this.

Increasing the degree to which they are effective at their jobs isn't making them prissy bitches, it's making them more efficient at their jobs. It'd be a problem if these changes made men less efficient, but how the fuck could the proposed changes hamper men?

>Increase costs and time to build
Citation needed. It's not like before we were never going to make new subs. Now when we do we just also make things more efficient for women because literally why the fuck wouldn't you?
>Sailors who have to deal with bitchy women on periods
If you're so affected by your period that this would be a problem you'd A) probably not be in the military and B) almost definitely not be assigned to something sensitive like sub duty. Tons of women I know don't act crazy while on their periods, those that do (and they exist, don't get me wrong) are definitely the minority.
>Women who aren't even as physically strong as men on average
What, is ISIS going to board your sub? Are you going to have to ruck 10 meters? Why the fuck does strength matter in a sub? If you say for turning valves or whatever, what harm is there in making them less hard to turn?

Not everyone is incapable of working with females without creating sexual tension. I don't think sub-types are typically roaring with testosterone either.

>taxpayer dollars
#1 it makes women more efficient, therefore benefit
#2 A body you can get to do a sub job and do it right is a good body.
#3 Why would this cost more? They're barely adding anything. If they said "retrofit all subs now" then sure, that'd be a problem, but if its just changing on subs which don't even currently exist why is it a problem?

This is sickening

They need to be killed
All of them

>Increasing the degree to which they are effective at their jobs isn't making them prissy bitches, it's making them more efficient at their jobs. It'd be a problem if these changes made men less efficient, but how the fuck could the proposed changes hamper men?
prissy bitch detected

go away roastie

The vaerage height of women is 5'4
That's changing because the genetically modified people are starting to have kids but they're still a minority by a massive amount

>Sailors will be able to connect their masks into the emergency air system at the side of passageways, instead of overhead.
now imagine that you are in that metal coffin and something went horribly wrong - so you and your buddy are hurring to the opposite sides of the ship

what could possibly go wrong

>we'll optimize for both men and women
that is not possible

consider removing yourself from the gene pool you retarded

They died with the ultimate satisfaction of knowing that nobody called them sexist. God speed, good sailors.

Think about this for one fucking second. You are advocating sending the most important resource (women) to go and potentially die in warfare. A civilization can survive the death of a significant amount of men but not women. Women need to stay home and be mothers not amazon dyke warriors.

But whatever, its already to late, he warned us, it's happening. The ship is going down, save your selves.

They better install a maternity ward on the subs.

I'm 5 11.5 almost 6 feet and I feel like a manlet in my city. It fucking hurts, bros.

If you're too short to reach a goddamn EAB connection you don't need to be in the military in the first place.

Why do subs have washrooms?

Just piss out the window

the only time problems are addressed is when they effect women

You do notice this wasn't pushed by women navy officers right?

This is an excuse for the company making subs to charge extra for 'female ergonomics'

Damn it feels good to be 6'6" master race

The contractors have to go

This is a horrible idea from any viewpoint. Special accommodations aside, having a suzy rottencrotch in a sub thats already a tight fit, where youll be stuck with her for months on end, where youll have to tolerate the smell of her yeast infection she will inevitably get, furthermore taking precious resources in the sub to create separate accommodations for one maybe 2 crew members. Fuck that

>but it would be interesting to see an army of women, trannies, and minorities go to war against a serious military

If history is anything to go by, women are always the first to surrender and even fornicate with the men that killed their brothers and fathers.

They will just surrender as soon their sanitary towels run out.

I mean for reference I don't support lowering standards to let women join the infantry or anything like that.

Show me why I'm wrong. If a woman can hack it in the military enough to get sub duty, her fitness is good enough. And again, how do the changes hurt men?

>Most important resource
Supply and demand, we have plenty of women. More women than men if I recall, so it doesn't hurt us having them in the military. Plus post-military they can have kids, or even while in. My aunt will be a general soon and she's had kids. She excelled in her field regardless because she wasn't a grunt or in a position where her choices would limit her ability to do the job.

What you're arguing would be true if we didn't have hundreds of millions of civilians. The military is a tiny tiny portion of the populace and the type of women who join would probably be doing equally bad-for-motherhood jobs anyway.

Y'all gotta fight the right battles. Shit like this is a non-issue. Women in the military is a non-issue. Lowering expectations for women for jobs where not being in absolute tip top physical shape will kill you and many people IS an issue.

>defense contractor Electric Boat

I'm 6,3 and you are a freak

Electric Boat is the actual name of who builds about half the subs in the US. It's a subsidiary of GE if I remember correctly.

making dual accommodations is easy on a boat where weight isn't a major issue (unlike with aircraft), desu I find this hilarious because it's basically saying that women are inferior to men

that said having women aboard will likely do wonders for morale, the turnover on sub positions is huge but having prostitutes onboard will obviously bring it down

Except women and trannies are all officers, they'll be fine while they sebd white guys to die

Look at this photo and tell me that women belong in the military.

The only people who join the military are minorities and blind patriots.

At my college there are these recruiters who are at a table and a obese female mulatto went up there, a puerto rican girl, a manlet Indian, a janitor telling stories about his son, and a Jew with aspergers. Not even joking these were the people that came up to see them.
It's unbelievable that we spend nearly a trillion dollars on our "military".

>reverse image search
>"Hispanics in the military"
Kek. "Diversity is strength". Still though, that image is showing brotherly love. No woman would ever get that dirty.

>If a woman can hack it in the military enough to get sub duty, her fitness is good enough. And again, how do the changes hurt men?
affirmative action is explicitly designed to reduce the number of Straight White Men, in employment, education, academia and management

perhaps you could explain why we need cunts, niggers or spics to take our jobs?

have we run out of men who want to join the military?

America, what the fuck are you doing.

Whatever, might as well let the military go to shit just like everything else.

>vids related women trying to do a man's job

youtube.com/watch?v=csTFaXt2Ud0

youtube.com/watch?v=8KfpXZn_Nac

youtube.com/watch?v=PBSzm5ns5TU

We're stuck in the SJW bullshit trap that Obongo forced us into, anyone who has a shred of intellect knows this submarine idea is awful.

>an obese female mulatoo, puerto rican girl, mantlet Indian, a Jew with aspergers
>the army of democracy

It really is pathetic. We would be better off with a bunch of soviet soldiers zerg rushing. I feel bad for the guys at the table who are forced to deal with people like that and lose faith.

If I sad out, do I still get the GI Bill?

Super nutshell:

I'm an SRO at a large nuke plant. We only have 1 female on site with a license. We have only had 3 total ever go to class, with a total of 2 pass.

The first pass was married and caught fucking another married operator ON SHIFT.

The second pass and the fail were in the same class and would bicker constantly. There were literal tears in the simulator over pointless emotional shit. Seriously, they were running a drill and couldn't even get along well enough to work together for like 45 minutes.

Needless to say, no one wants females on shift. It's just horrible. I can't imagine what it would be like dealing with that for months at a time under water.

>explicit
Ok, where in the codification of affirmative action does it say this? Because that's what explicit means.

>take our jobs
What jobs do you think they're taking?

>Want to join the military
There are positions which the average man cannot fill (like high intelligence jobs, like subs). We need the best of the best to fill these jobs, sometimes the most intellectually capable are women. We got a lot of subs, mind. If we had like one, and were just going for the best of the best, it'd probably be all men, but when we have many, eventually you start reaching into lower quality men that women can beat.

For the jobs where it matters that a woman would be there (maybe infantry), we want all the bodies we can get anyway

Are they going to add a nursery too?

Lt. Cmdr Dodge: Men, at ease. I'd like to introduce you to the newest member of our crew, Lt. Emily Lake. Emily is part of a pilot program to test the feasibility of women serving on submarines. She's going to be our diving officer.
Stepanek: Can she do a one-and-a-half inward back in the layout position?
[laughter]
Lt. Cmdr Dodge: All right, look, gentlemen! I know this is an unusual situation. Can't be easy for Lt. Lake here to be thrown into a jungle such as this, and I know it will make things hard on all of us...
[laughter]
Lt. Cmdr Dodge: Let me re-phrase that. It's going to make things *difficult* on all of us as well. But if we just work together as a team, I'm sure we can handle ourselves...
[laughter]
Lt. Cmdr Dodge: *Comport* ourselves as professionals. That is all.

It's a sign of the degeneration of the nation.
Our military used to be respectable. If this is the future for it, then the nation is surely dying. This is no country of mine.

>those eyes
Lieutenant is fighting the urge to stare at those tits

100,000 Suns of Pure Righteous Anger

Obama needs to rot the rest of his years away in prison. Bill Clinton seems to be ravaged by syphilis so he got what was coming. Fucking scum of the earth.

I see the new design already.

the people in the subs could technically be the only ones survive the apocalypse, so they need some women

How fucking stupid is it that US Navy sailors wear BLUE CAMO UNIFORMS?

Like they're going to blend in with the deep blue sea?!

They're switching to green type 3's soon

This is utter PC-bullshit, we have had women serving on our subs for 15 years and nothing had to be changed to accomodate them.

>Ok, where in the codification of affirmative action does it say this? Because that's what explicit means.
oh come on now, are you really going to play word games? you really think that hiring cunts, niggers, spics, pajeets, homos or gooks over White men increases the number of White men in those positions?

>What jobs do you think they're taking?
in this case, submariner and officer jobs. in general, all jobs are somewhat at risk for White men from affirmative action

are you really this stupid? or just dishonest?

>eventually you start reaching into lower quality men that women can beat
you are under the impression that women in the military is done on merit? not quotas?

any evidence to back up this ridiculous claim?

t. Never been in the military

Another problem is the inevitable increase in sexual assault briefings across all services. What the hell are they thinking? The powers that be always bitch about rapes happening, spend money and time "educating" people who aren't gonna do this shit in the first place, then set up conditions for it to happen where they didn't exist before. I'm sure plenty of fucking has been going on in submarines for years when it was a boys club, but this is only opening a whole new can of worms.

That's because you have had a long tradition of shieldmaidens fighting alongside with vikings. That's why scandivanian women are physically equivalent to their male counterparts.

Top bantz m8.

This doesn't make sense to me. The minimum height requirement for the Navy is 4'8". I've been told by guys in the navy, they look for shorter guys to serve on subs. So who are they lowering this shit for?

The Navy height minimum is 52 inches, or 4'8".