Should switchblades, or knives be illegal to carry? Why?

What are Sup Forums's views on carrying a switchblade in your pocket?

I've carried a knife since I was five years old. It was a shitty knife, one of those with a 1.75" blade, nail file and bottle opener, but a knife nonetheless. Sure, I cut myself once as a kid, but only after some little snot-nosed bastard who had never been allowed to handle one excitedly grabbed at it and tried to snatch it from me, but I never injured myself or anyone else with it.

Now I carry an automatic, front-opening Microtech switchblade. (picture very similar, but mine has a bayonet-style blade) I've never used it out of aggression or had to defend myself with it, but I use it in a utility fashion at least daily. I keep it hair-splitting sharp. I use a leather strop and polishing compound. You can literally shave your face with it, but it's not fun.

What does Sup Forums think? Do you think these knives are more dangerous than any other knife? Do you believe they're illegal still for a good reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a4liYQC73do
kniferights.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i carry a fixed blade ka-bar replica in a sheath.
not sure about the legality, but i would honestly feel terrified to leave the house without it.
only started carrying since gun crime in my area skyrocketed, it has become a reality to be robbed at gunpoint or even shot in AUSTRALIA these days.

Wow! Good thing Australia made all guns illegal and confiscated them all; you're clearly safer over there. I'd carry three knives if I was you.

I've got a 2.5 in switchblade I keep in my backpack. Makes me feel safer even though I doubt I'd be able to use it effectively in combat. I found it on the side of the road a while ago and have been carrying it since. I'd say it should be legal in most public places- they're useful and can be good to at least ward people off if you don't have mace or a CCW.

I know they're completely illegal in GB. I was watching a stupid cop show where the police was watching the big brother cameras for small infractions, and half of the people arrested made the mistake of momentarily exposing a pocket knife to open a letter or something. I think they can carry a folding, non-locking pocketknife with a 1" blade or less, or something useless like that. Be careful down there. If they're illegal, the British cops hunted down pocket knives like they were drug runners.

Be careful. Most people who pull a knife on an attacker don't know what they're doing. Best case - sight is all that's needed to scare them off. Worst case - you're stripped of your weapon and killed with it.

Also, they're still illegal in some states, and it can be a felony if you use it even to defend yourself with it.

Cops are assholes. They don't have to be, but they are.

I carry one of those "mechanically assisted" folding knives with me everywhere. Completely legal where I live, as fast as a switch blade to open, and it has a wide blade with a pretty nasty serrated edge. I keep a .22 in my car. Once I get a CCL i'm just gonna buy a .357 to carry.

I've never carried a gun. I'd like to get my CCL, but just haven't. It's a pain in the ass in Illinois.

>state is illegal to buy in but not own
>leave state
>buy one
>bring it back
>set it next to my firearms
I think all commies should die

kek

No. You can kill someone with a pencil.

don;'t believe lies about britain, in britain u can legally own bb guns,nerf guns and even air guns

>Do you think these knives are more dangerous than any other knife?

No, because they aren't.

It's just regulation born out of ignorance. Switchblade regulation and ATF knife regulation is the "assault weapon" regulation of knives.

In a way it's culture dependent. Criminal idiots walk around threatening people with switchblades, they ban switchblades. Idiots flash butterfly knives, they ban butterfly knives. Mongs use ATF knives, and so on..

In reality a 10 dollar Mora knife is more lethal than any folding knife. A screwdriver is a better stabbing tool than a knife. And real criminals get a gun regardless. Not forgetting that almost every household owns a kitchen knife that is more lethal still.

It's just dumb.

They're only illegal because of wops and beaners.

It's dumb but at least it's state by state. Even if they're banned all you need to do is go to your local Chinatown. I live in Georgia where you can pretty much own whatever, we just have a blade length limit for carry if you don't have a ccw permit.

Fun Fact: it's legal to carry a switchblade in Texas

>Shall not be infringed.

if i lived in texas i would be conceal carrying this.
try bringing a switchblade to a nuclear war.

Hahaha! That'll stop a mugger.

Cold Steel Espada

Emerson knives top tier American made a little price but faster to get a blade open from your pocket then an automatic.

I carry this every day

Honestly carrying a spring powered opening switchblade in your pocket is probably more dangerous to yourself than carrying a pistol with the safety on. Of course this shouldnt mean you arent allowed to carry it, i aint a nanny state fag

What'll that run you?

I have a Godfather in addition to my Microtech. The godfather has opened in my pocket, but no more than inconvenience ensued. The front-opening knives don't have enough force to cut you when opening.

The most effective way to use a knife is not show it at all. One second their hand is behind their back and the next you feel like you're being punched in the gut. In reality, you've just been stabbed several times all before even noticing you've been stabbed.

225 ish they have many models though and the blade is chisel edge makes them easy to keep razor sharp. Probably the best knife company out there right now in my opinion.

I don't know what the big deal is with switchblades, but I always carry a folding knife just under 3". It comes in handy more often than I though it would.

go back to britain fagget

switchblades are already illegal in most places
i say fuck that. legalize open carry rocket launchers

many keys my friend

keks*

Not illegal in nh anymore. The argument for legalizing them was the ease of 1 handed opening.

I carry a knife on me made by SOG. I'm a big fan of their products.

OP isn't that knife dangerous due to the way the blade comes out? Seems like it could open in your pocket accidentally and stab yourself in the leg.

It's just a knife. Shittier in every way than a fixed-handle knife but compact and easier to hide.

It seemingly opens with great force, but a leaf of paper could stop it.

no they are just knives

Also, the switch to open it is very stout. When people try it for the first time, they usually can't open it. I have to tell them to stop being pussies and push hard. Chances of cutting yourself are almost nil.

Fucking retard doesn't even know the technical names for his knives or legality of them. That's called an OTF knife and they aren't illegal in my state. Yes I have one. I also have a few good balisongs and a good regular flip open knife. All legal, and pretty high end, a bit over a hundred bucks each (well not my OTF one) Plus some cheapo versions of each knife.

And no, there should be no restrictions on them. SHALL

>blessed to be born in a nation that guarantees your God-given right to bear arms
>check out my sick blade!

Fuck off, spic.

Switchblades are less dangerous than fixed-blade knives. They're more likely to break during use.

Switchblade/gravity blade bans are bullshit. They arose partially because of concerns about concealability but also because of racial associations between switchblades and certain ethnic groups.

I used to carry a balisong I bought in france when I was a kid till I figured it wasn't worth the jail time I'd get for it.

Nigger, you have no idea what I know. Being technical isn't the point of the thread. I also know the legality of all knives in all 50 states and several other countries. I know the history of the automatic knife laws and the propaganda that saw to their illegality. I also know the types and qualities of steel on all 73 of my knives and how to repair them. Now suck a wet fart and show off your pathetic knowledge elsewhere and let the adults speak. BTW, a hundred bucks for a knife means you can throw it in the dumpster when you're done using it. Now, piss off with your arrogance and your cheap, shitty throw-away knives, you fucking faggot child.

Noice

>ACKSHUALLY IM AN EXPERT ON THIS TOPIC
>but I won't talk technically when discussing it or be accurate in my OP about legality of anything
K. And I did put forth my discussion. But you chose to latch onto the part of my post that doesn't further the discussion. Like a petulant child.

with a. fucking. pencil.

Necessary for self defense. youtube.com/watch?v=a4liYQC73do

You offered the part that doesn't further the discussion, like a petulant child. Your input isn't necessary here.

>What are Sup Forums's views on carrying a switchblade in your pocket?
>What does Sup Forums think? Do you think these knives are more dangerous than any other knife? Do you believe they're illegal still for a good reason?

>And no, there should be no restrictions on them. SHALL
K, keep being asspained when someone answers your question and offers discussion.

I met a blade smith from your neck of the woods that made gorgeous folders using Hippo teeth scales called Lours Prinsloo (sp?) at a blade show. I didn't have $1600 on me, or I'd have bought one.

Funny thing about the knoife in your photo. I own it, and came about acquiring it after the person who broke into my car left it accidentally on the front passenger seat. I had nothing of value in my car to steal and the perp left empty handed. Love me some tweekers.

Those guys can carry a knife as their freedom of religion right.

Switch blades are generally just a scare tactic. Excessive use of most of em will loosen the casing until it falls apart. I used to swear by them but switched out for this reason.

You again? This is a peaceful discussion with no ad hom. Take your edge elsewhere. I don't care if you're a samurai swordsmith. Anything you had no offer became uninteresting the moment you started spouting off about how knowledgable you were, assuming I was retarded. This isn't a weapons thread; that's why it's on Sup Forums. It's a thread about perceptions and legality, not technical data. Maybe if you spend ten minutes talking to real people instead of spending all day online, you'll learn that not all conversations can be joined by first spouting off and calling any of the ones already discussing the topic a retard. Grow up, user.

I've had the same switchblade for a REALLY long time, this guy doesnt know anything, or buys garbage ass shitty switches....

Ha! That's a $230.00 gift!

Check out Microtech knives. They're very well-built autos. bladehq. com has the full line and about 5,000 others.

And I gave you my discussion that you keep ignoring and instead getting pissed that some random faggot on the internet called you names.

You just make yourself look like a cunt not knowing what a Benchmade knife is. Id have to give the top tier shit to microtech though, Its hard to top that kind of quality standard

When adults speak, we address each other respectfully. You can say whatever you want if i'm insulting your religion or political affiliation, but this isn't that type of thread. I'm done with you. I don't care if you're literally the only other person here. The thread will just die, I guess. Isn't there a legal age to buy knives? Or to be on Sup Forums?

>should x be illegal?
No

t. liberty

/thread

I know of them. Ive had my eye on the Ultratech model, but its a bit out of my price range atm lol

Sup Forums as a whole is supposed to be 18+

I love my Ultratech. It opens and closes with action like a fine firearm. I highly recommend it.

I also CC switchblades now OP and have for a while as it is legal in my state.

The switchblade restrictions on carry in some places are stupid as I can open manual folding knives faster than most of my automatic knives. It is nanny state legislation made by idiots who know nothing about knives.

A switchblade is no more deadly than any other sharp object. Pic related, some of my knives.

I'm sorry youre a poorfag that cant buy a good knife, but that doesnt make all switchblades poor quality, only the shitty ones you bought. I have one going on 12 years easily

Be sure to order the bit to disassemble it when you buy it. The mechanism isn't easy to gum up, but grit can slow it down, and cleaning it easy with the scale off. It's also impressively machined and interesting to look at internally.

you have no fucking idea what you are talking about

you do not feel like you are being punched
you feel like you are being stabbed

you know immediately that you are being stabbed neckbeard autist

My Microtech works well but I noticed it has some anodizing issues on the handle and my blade has a very small chip in it. I don't know if it is worth waiting the months for service when that stuff is so minor.

Nice selection, user. I can carry mine legally only if I'm hunting in Illinois, which means I can technically be arrested for carrying it, which sucks. How have other states gone about legalizing them? I'm curious if there's anything I an do to prompt the discussion amongst those with the power to do something rational about it. It's all I haven't really researched about it all yet.

Old knife that still works like a dream, buy good shit, take care of it, it will last. Shit is probably older than some of the people in this thread.

*keeping in mind that Illinois government is only surpassed in corruption by Washington DC and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Who the fuck can do that?!

>everything that's practical is also illegal in germany

i had a butterfly for some time though, went through airports (not carry on) just fine

pic related is best knife

why?

you can open your hand and not drop it

that means it's harder to disarm

also, no spring, no nothing, you just draw it. just drawing your knife is faster than drawing it, then flipping a switch, pressing a button, whatever.

the fastest to deploy knife is one that is sheathed with the handle where you can grab it

inside your belt is a good option

carry two. two knives is better than one, because most tactics vs knives is to disable the knife arm or knife hand with two hands, and just eat punches until you achieve disarm.

if you have two knives, especially harder-to-disarm knives like this one, they cannot disarm you by focusing on the knife hand, or slap it out of your hand. If they try you can stab them with the other one.

source:

i am not a fucking upper-middle class burger who buys "toy" weapons and faps to it on the internet. downtown santiago is a cess-pool of thugs, drug addicts, nutjobs and peruvians. i carry for protection, have never had to cut anyone but i have had to draw on a guy's throat and tell them to fuck off. hint: they fucked off. also i do weapons training as part of MMA training

the look on their face when they realize you are armed is priceless. mr. "they feel like being punched" was right about something- blades are not meant to be seen

they are meant to be felt. the enemy must not know about the blade until they -feel- it, either as a warning, or as an attack.

anyone can do that
watch a fucking prison weapon documentary if you want to understand "things you can and cannot stab people with"
in the category of things you can stab people with: pencils
they're also legal to carry everywhere

i personally recommend a pen, as heavy as possible, no plastic, all metal, stainless steel. two of them. sometimes when i don't want to carry because it's illegal, and i'm in a high security low risk area like a university, i carry two steel mechanical pencils with sharp tips. i filed them down a little so that they would be even sharper

university is full of faggots though, not sure why i even bother carrying. people seem to instinctually know not to fuck with me just because of how i look at them, they can tell i'm not normal

go outside burgers, stop weapon fapping, get some exercise you fat fucks

They are illegal in Germany

First thing would be to call your representatives and make them aware you are interested in having the law changed.

Second, you can support Knife Rights:
kniferights.org/

Which is an organization that has repealed switchblade bans in 12 states now (most recently Colorado) and carry restrictions in others.

Repealing knife bans seems to be much easier than repealing gun bans as the laws are usually 50 - 60 years old. The restrictions are redundant since pretty much every modern pocket knife has a thumb stud of some kind to make them open really fast anyway and assisted openers aren't considered switchblades.

I cc a pistol and think every qualifying person(with the ID) should be able to so idc about knives

The only problem with a knife like that is that law enforcement will assume its only purpose is as a weapon. In Chicago specifically, ANYTHING that isn't practical or under 2.5" long is illegal to carry. No one has EVER stopped me to bug me about anything I've ever carried, but it could be a problem if you just happen to have a dick cop bother you. Otherwise, I totally agree. I carry a Randall bowie in the woods. There's no finger loop, but a fixed blade is way more stable and easier to do most things with, other than conceal.

Knives are a very practical and in my opinion essential tool for everyday life. From food prep to opening boxes, knives are the exceptional tool that has proven itself time and time again since we progress from the club cave man.

I carry a Benchmade Osborne Rift Auto. But I live in a free state.

I believe they should be legal. Almost anything can be used as a weapon so why single pocket knives out?

Same here. When I need to open a package or cut some line I just shoot it a bunch. That's why I carry a few mags as well.

Thanks, user! I'll be calling and visiting knife rights.org. It is my personal opinion that no hand-held blade is too much more effective than any other. People get scared over the stupidest shit.

KEK

Hey guys, is this the autism thread?

That's the "Canadian General" over at r9k

It is now. I have to go.

OP out!

Nah, just your every day /normalmanlyboard/ thread to point out that politics is infringing on normal manly things.

My Bedlam you saw in the picture I posted is an automatic knife but Benchmade makes a non automatic version that is 100% the same. It cuts the same, has the same steel, etc but in some places my bedlam knife could land people in jail for carrying it or owning it while owning the non auto version is legal.

A knife shouldn't be banned because of how it opens, it is fucking stupid. Funnily enough I can open the non auto version faster than the auto one.

I don't understand why they would be illegal. Do people think you can use the opening mechanism to stab somebody? Try it and it just fails to open(pic related). They're inherently less sturdy and therefore less 'dangerous' than a fixed blade, or even regular folder.

Are Benchmade automatics good? I said above I have a cheapo OTF. I bought it when buying my Griptillian as a "fuck it, I'll see if I like this type of knife" sort of deal. I kinda do so I was thinking of buying an actual nice one. Or what brand would you guys recommend?

This applies to you as well even if we got off on the wrong foot. What do you recommend as your preferred brand for automatics? I have a Benchmade Griptillian as my favorite flip open manual and Bradley Kimura VII as my favorite balisong. Both of those brands I've had really good luck with. I don't carry the butterfly knife as a self defense EDC, but flppity flip stabby stabs are fun to just fuck around with. Just wondering if there's like a brand known to be THE brand to look for in automatics, or if you buy a good brand in general, you should be fine.

Shall not be infringed, faggot!
Pick related, muh freedom collection (minus the guns cause you didn't ask about them)

Don't carry my switchblade (stainless pardue, the black coated one is a friend's that I've been holding on to) though, because my state, does in fact, infringe. :(

I carry a switchblade daily