What even are video games anymore?

Why do millenials seem to be so infatuated with vidya? As a filthy millenial myself when I meet other people around my age (especially guys) when I saw I don't play any games competitively I usually get a dissapointed "oh".

I treat video games like every other medium, moderation. The amount of people I know who have spent more than 2000 hours on a SINGLE game is astonishing.

If you go on tumblr, you'll find so many comics with the same vibe of pop culture and celebrating being inept. Is all this promoting degeneracy? I like vidya but really the less I play of it, the more productive I feel. Same goes for Sup Forums.

What is this new hyper devout fanaticism of video games among millenials now. They define themselves by it and as a result become a walking advertisement with tri force necklaces, marvel apparel, N7 jackets, anything mario or nintendo related, etc

Other urls found in this thread:

thehealthy.com/10-negative-effects-technology/
pbs.org/newshour/bb/the-drug-like-effect-of-screen-time-on-the-teenage-brain/
nypost.com/2017/04/16/new-york-teens-are-too-busy-playing-video-games-to-have-sex/
nbcnews.com/news/us-news/most-millennials-are-finding-it-hard-transition-adulthood-report-n748676
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RARE
A
R
E

holy shit what is that

They're incapable of creating, so they consume. Their minds and bodies are weak from consuming fast food and college propaganda, so they "relax" more than they do anything else.

Papua New Guinea my [DAY OF THE RAKE] friend :3
Could be. But I will never understand how people can say with pride "I have over 1500 hours in Dota 2" Great.

It's probably thinly-veiled depression. I used to love video games but even the games I loved most I never spent more than 100 hours on.

OP, it's because our generation is shit. No one does anything outside, and video games push the endorphines that they need to feel "alive".

I used to play video games when I was still in college living with my parents. Then I moved out and I don't really play them anymore. I'd rather go skiing or camping.

Consumerism really is shit though. Hell, I have a blackberry phone and people think that somehow defines me, like you're supposed to conform to societal standards of cell phones or you look strange.

Just ignore and live your life like you want.

I still play because what else would I do for entertainment other than read and listen to news podcasts? TV? Fuck outta here with that.

Wait, hol up.
What goes on in Papua New Guinea?!
Is it true one of your tribes ate a Rockefeller once?!

Some strategy games make you smart, you get into a chicken or egg problem when you expect STEM workers to stop playing video games.

i dunno man but ive been playing xcom 2 on legend mode all week and i honestly haven't been this mentally stressed for awhile.

like i set up an ambush for a sectopod and the sectopod advanced, shredding my armor and crashing into a two story building, causing my sniper to fall off and trampling him into a fire it started with its shred lasers

I fucking started screaming

>Papua New Guinea
How's prion these days lad

not sure i can hardly play them for over an hour without getting bored, and i cant even play shooter games for longer than 20 minutes.

do they even have internet in PNG? what the fuck.

hue

this game man... this fucking game

A lot are into online games because they are socially isolated and use it as a replacement for real community. Same as people here who post on Sup Forums.

it's really pathetic how they call being normal "adulting" and have to have workshop and classes about how not to be fucking children.

There is scientific evidence that they do make you more smart and alert etc but I think the control was like an hour a day or something I might be wrong
This is true. I value time playing video games less than time being outside because the weather is not always nice so good days need to be fully realised. I can play video games literally at any other time.
I didn't say stop playing video games. Im just perplexed at why people my age elecate it to an untouchable pedestal, the holy grail of entertainement and cringey af subcultures like pc masterace

Shit compared to what exactly?
Previous generations that got talked into killing each other for the government only so said governments could then impose quasi genocidal conditions upon them and their descendents generations?

Don't self yourself short.

It's really not a surprise that so many look to the escapism and artistry of computer games.

Online gaming is also very good for fostering a competitive, strategic and tactical mindset. It also encourages good communication.

Gamers sell themselves short, but if you see the way lots of strangers can come together quickly in voice chat to come up with a plan and then carry it out while responding to changing circumstances and defeat another team in a game, you can't really call them shit or inept.

The swarming behaviour of anons on Sup Forums when they actually decide upon a target and the way they go from being trolls to serious team players is VERY SIMILAR to the swarming behaviour of gamers in casual online matches.

It wouldn't surprise me if gaming has actually provided an environment for our generation that has allowed us to actually develop as individuals and competitive and competent team players.

That being said: it's important to know when to switch off.
Play serves an evolutionary function, but play is for living, not the other way around.

This. Our generation is spending time playing video games because that's the entertainment medium we grew up with. I'm sure if Atari/Nintendo had come out in the 50's boomers would be playing vidya instead of watching tv/movies.

I watch youtube and play games. You take those away I'd probably watch TV like everyone did and still does from the last few generations.

How many times have people watched every episode of Seinfeld or friends multiple times? Or movies dozens of times? Same damn sort of thing. Games are infinity more engaging.

>Not playing the fucking 15/10 Long War 2
Honestly Long War 2 gives you a good sense of progress, my top 3 soldiers have 100-150 kills each and I'm about halfway through the campaign. 10 soldiers per mission even though average mission has 20-30 high-tier aliens with a minimum of 10 health.

Pic related shows that there is sometimes no shame in retreat

Ok, I'm in my 30's, have played video games my whole life. I currently live in the Alaskan bush with internet as slow as dial-up and I don't have local TV or cable.
So I play video games, single player since I don't have the speed for online.
I've always been an early adaptor to new tech, I feel it's an investment and has largely paved the way for most advancements in consumer tech.
But yes blah blah moderations blah.
But seriously, do you have any local insight into the story that the Asmat tribe ate Micheal Rockefeller?

That's XCOM, Baby!

> new hyper devout fanaticism of video games
LoL there's always been fanaticism around videogames user; boardgames, cardgames and and stuff. Magic:The Gathering for ex. is from like 1993 or stg. Nothing new..

I remember some user here telling me this. I'll paraphrase.

>In today's world, it is easier than ever to not grow up. When people are faced with problems, it is easier than ever to distract yourself with movies, tv, video games to essentially flee from your problems and responsibilities.

He said it in like 4 paragraphs and it was way more captivating but that was the main message

this right here.
people who dont play videogames tend to be more creative and productive overall.

>like you're supposed to conform to societal standards of cell phones or you look strange

people gave me shit for owning an old iphone before.
I still use the 5 and see absolutely no reason to upgrade, all I do is use it for calls, navigation and spotify and it does all of those perfectly fine.

Our generation makes retarded decisions when it comes to consumer electronics and brand clothing.
It's the same people that cry they can't go out because they are short on cash that get a new phone and "jeezies", or whatever those shitty shoes are called, at every chance given.

Video games allow people with low social value to pretend that they do, whether playing the role of a general/ruler (strategy), elite soldier (FPS), fantasy chosen one hero (RPG), or hotshot "pro" (MOBAs and CS:GO)

It's normal for children to pretend to be important in their play and imagination, for example the young boys playing army or girls pretending to be pop stars. However, this behavior is expected to cease in adolescence as they become productive members of society.

The video gamer lifestyle is an extension of childhood as a consequence of low social value.

i grew up with it too but you gotta slow down at some point right

wow Sup Forums is popping with unusual flags tonight.

also videogames predate mtg. vidya was in the 70's.

If that's how you view vidya then how you do view the millions who just watch sports instead of interacting in any way. Since sports viewing has been around since the radio

>It's the same people that cry they can't go out because they are short on cash that get a new phone and "jeezies", or whatever those shitty shoes are called, at every chance given.

This shit isn't even generational.
People have always had money for alcohol, drugs, cigarettes and gambling, yet mysteriously private health care is a "problem" and the cost of just about everything that they NEED is always "too high".

People just basically don't understand money and hate to be confronted with the truth of such matters.

>He said it in like 4 paragraphs and it was way more captivating but that was the main message
Thats millennial speak. He didnt have one firm belief either? everything he said was just a feeling right?

wagecuck daily life:
>7 hours of sleep
>14 hours of work (including housework, shopping, paperwork, maintaining hygeine, cooking, etc.)
>3 hours of free time to do things you actually enjoy

NEET (living with parents) master race daily life:
>9 hours of sleep
>1 hour of work (maintaining hygeine, cooking, wiping dust off keyboard, etc.)
>14 hours of free time to do things you actually enjoy

and wageslaves like to call us bluepilled for not being productive members of (((society))), lmao

- Numbing agent
- Power fantasies
- Trendy (they play out of fear of being left out of popular culture).

Maybe you should get electricity in your country first before you comment

>that fucking pic

just advent burger me now senpai

because if you dont play dota and arent 8k mmr while fucking 100 different girls in a year, weight lifting and uni studying stem you are a failure

max out all your stats plebs.
Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma and Gains

>mfw I play vidya everyday
>mfw I built my Fiance her PC
>mfw we play all the vidya together
>mfw I go to work everyday
>mfw I spend my time off playing video games with friends

People who play a lot of video games are the same type of people who were chastised as a kid by other kids. It got to the point where I didn't talk to anyone or do anything. My whole job centers around being a people person. But deep down we fucking hate people. So we use video games as an escape to get the fuck away from the all misery and shitty people. Because half the population are fucking robots (NPCs) anyway. With no soul, personality, and follow whatever suits their routine. You were obviously a cocksucking chad faggot in school. Or too poor to actually enjoy video games as a kid.

thehealthy.com/10-negative-effects-technology/

pbs.org/newshour/bb/the-drug-like-effect-of-screen-time-on-the-teenage-brain/

is there anything more satisfying after destroying 5 people as a carry in 8k mmr dota while a girl sucks your dick while you are high as shit on meth and you just did leg day with your mates at the gym.

no there is not.

It's probably because we're the first generation to wholly embrace it (earlier gens it was still a "nerd" thing), probably some kinda cultural identity thing. It's like your dad and his fascination with glam metal, blanketing the walls of his man-cave/garage with Motley Crue and Twisted Sister posters.

For the next gen vidya will just be part of the norm and they'll treat it as nothing special.

>Dexterity
But don't tell anyone you leveled that up you fckn fggit

When I'm not working or spending time with my wife I either go shoot with my rifles and handguns or play video games. Shooting gets expensive and video games are as cheap as you want them to be.

disagree

I play a shit load of video games, but I spend even more time programming them. I consume video games, but I also create them. My mind is definitely not weak, and neither is my body. I am very confident that I have a stronger will than 90% of people.

>The amount of people I know who have spent more than 2000 hours on a SINGLE game is astonishing.
but 2000+ hours is a sport is okay?
>muh health
>muh gains
>muh physical activity
it's all just another distraction on the road to the grave

>Video games allow people with low social value to pretend that they do,

Who gets to say what "value" is?

Remember the "nobodies" that you see on the street are "somebodies" to others.

>It's normal for children to pretend to be important - However, this behavior is expected to cease in adolescence as they become productive members of society.

Expected by whom exactly?

Humans in general are basically role players. Professionalism for example, is full blown role-play.

Productivity is pretty subjective and society ultimately exists to cater to individuals so individuals catering to their own needs through their individual actions isn't really a contradiction in the long run.

>The video gamer lifestyle is an extension of childhood as a consequence of low social value.

Are you sure it isn't just entertainment, escapism and in some cases, training and not necessarily rooted in "social value" ?

To be fair to what you are saying: I've noticed that lots of "successful" people and "winners" tend not to play games as much but, that's not necessarily because they have higher social value and perhaps more to do with the fact that games are time/energy consuming and they simply cannot afford to play them.

It's like the comic in the OP. You sometimes just don't have time for games.

>shooting your guns
>in canada

Literally nobody is infatuated with 'competitive' gaming, especially wherever the fuck you live (rare). You probably talked to one guy who acted like this. A real life version of the 'sup cracka naw just kiddin u good' comic. The vast majority of people who play video games just play them in the same vein as you listen to music or playing catch the stick or whatever the fuck you do.

In addition: this is literally the same shit people were saying about books to radio and radio to television/film. Get over it. The game industry is larger than the film industry and it's only going to get bigger.

I've spent 4000 hours in Crusader Kings since 2012. I consider it time well spent

I can't play videogames anymore.

It was only 3 years ago that I was obsessed with gaming. I'd play everything, from obscure oldschool rpgs to whatever the current AAA big hit was. It was cool for a while right after I had graduated highschool and was finally making money working my first job. Just had to quit though. I have to finish uni and get my career started as soon as possible.

One of the things I hate about games nowadays is how big they are. Like that new Zelda. I tried playing it and I don't even know where the hell I'm supposed to go. My weapons keep breaking, enemies are harder to kill, the world is MASSIVE. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword weren't like this. Can't I just get to the next dungeon, kill boss, repeat, finish game, etc? An hour goes by and I feel like I haven't accomplished shit. Waste of time. I'm sure as hell not spening more than an hour playing a game. Way too fucking busy nowadays balancing work, classes, studying, and running. I'm also trying to learn Russian and play the piano.

I'm over video games. I might come back to Pokemon and Silent Hill (if there's ever a new game).

The short answer is that it's because video games are fun and there's nothing better to do.

The long answer is that video games are usually the last sanctuary young men have left. Get a job? Good luck with the market stagnating thanks to globalism making it easier to just hire Raj and Chang for pennies. And even if you do get a job, women are completely awful thanks to feminism. Get married and she can fuck Jamal on the side, have his kids, divorce you and she's entitled to half your stuff plus child support. Piss her off and she file false rape charges against you and ruin your life.

Those are really the two defining things that men spent their time on, work and family building. And now that they're being poisoned, they have to fall back to something else. And for a lot of young men, that's video games. That's pretty much all they spend their free time on. But unfortunately, that's been picked up on and now it's being infested with consumerist normies and moral policing feminazi's trying to shove their agenda down people's throats. Eventually, video games will go the way of every other popular medium and turn to absolute shit thanks to the lowest common denominator and men will find something else to turn their attention too. But until then, gaming is gonna be the primary time waster.

I don't know what's worse, the blatant normalfaggotry or the delusion that any of you boring, self-important redditors are any better.

the majority of people are playing multiplayer pvp games for this exact reason..

>Thinking we can't have fun with firearms
My cz75 is a lot cheaper to shoot than my rifles though.

They are popular. That's the only reason. Like movies, regular people play certain games solely because of socialization. They can discuss the game with their friends and that helps them fit in.

half symptom
another virtual hierarchy

there are the mainstream shallow shitters who purchase apparel and memorabilia and purchase every flavor of the month without even knowing some background about the game (these exist in anime too)
then there are the assfaggot "competitive" "gamers" who spend hours raising their virtual stats
then there are the patrician single player "loners" who play or replay older or favorite games and continue to expand their completed libraries
but outside of "bonding" with "friends", games are mostly non-constructive pursuits
I recommend emulating and playing older games if you want to drop out of life or retire (but fucking try first)

>They're incapable of creating, so they consume. Their minds and bodies are weak from consuming fast food and college propaganda, so they "relax" more than they do anything else.
I create at my job like a motherfucker...still enjoy unwinding with vidya

>To be fair to what you are saying: I've noticed that lots of "successful" people and "winners" tend not to play games as much but, that's not necessarily because they have higher social value and perhaps more to do with the fact that games are time/energy consuming and they simply cannot afford to play them.

I said it before and I'll say it again: The best thing to invest in is land and property and owning and managing it. Done right, you can do very little "work" with it and reap the profits well enough to only work 2 hours a day or so.

That and it gives a way for people to succeed (Game won -> "It was all me!") without ever failing(Game lost -> "The other people suck!"). This is why you hear people complain about being "stuck in bronze" or whatever in LoL and other MOBAs. Also pic related.

People are you are the cancer killing videogames and I'm glad you're leaving.

>That and it gives a way for people to succeed (Game won -> "It was all me!") without ever failing(Game lost -> "The other people suck!"). This is why you hear people complain about being "stuck in bronze" or whatever in LoL and other MOBAs. Also pic related.
yeh but you arent going to break into the upper tiers until you lose the ego

i treat a loss or win as my fault
usually download the replay and see what i can improve on / what went wrong

>The best thing to invest in is land and property and owning and managing it.

If everyone could do it everyone would. With current house prices, you need a fuck ton of startup capital which banks will never lend you

>be me
>foreign parents. can't speak english. old world polish beliefs [my mom thinks if you don't sleep with fur under your bed some sort of creature will eat your dreams or some shit. she's in her 50s]
>dad walked out
>mom doesn't know how to child support
>spent my entire childhood bouncing between homes of abusive assholes. usually foreigners as well
>sad. lonely. isolated child
>did poorly in social situation
>constantly stressed
>doing poorly in school
>mom can't help with homework cause she grew up on a farm and her only skill is cleaning, cooking, and taking dick
>mom yells and beats me cause i did poorly in class
>even more stressed
>nothing to really make me feel good about myself
>one day overhear someone talk about something called runescape
>loggon
>personal..i..zation..?
>my mom isn't going to beat me up cause i didn't wear the shirt she likes?
>huh.. cooking.. firemaking
>ding
>level up?
>dopamine surge
>good feels
>more.. more!!
>actually progressing in something
>making improvements in some way
>congratz. gratz. nice. what level are you now? recognition. "friends". adventure. escape

i spent years of my life playing these types of games. wow. league. runescape. not just mmos but gta. zelda. call of duty. you name it

cause they were the only fucking thing in my life where i felt welcomed and like i was good at something

i don't think the problem is video games. but there are just really shitty people out there who don't know shit about human development

Before I quit gaming, I was strictly playing Pokemon battles online with Sun/Moon. Had a whole army of my favorites injected into the game, spanning all 7 gens, with the perfect stats and moves. Was fun for a while, some matches definitely get your adrenaline going, which is odd considering it's just turn based combat. I guess it stems from me using my favorites and not the current top tier cutoff Pokemon most people use. It's a bit of a gamble playing that way. Karenfags are what the people who play that way are called. The play style is named after some character in the game.

Videogames are treated by society as a colossal waste of time and as such the industry and the consumers do nothing but turn it into a colossal waste of time.

Videogames have the potential to be the next cinema or the next literature, but they're held back by anti-intellectuals and millenials.

Sure, some fantastic and worthwhile videogames that hold timeless merits have come out and will be studied by historians, but they are in the vast minority and today, nobody plays them.

Today, People use videogames as a substitute to television. Something to do while you wait for the next thing you have to do.

Idk. Its a good escape sometimes. The only game that really really sucked me in (besides wow) which i have < 1000 hours played is Empire Total War. The total war games could always suck me in. But Empire was great. Id spend days and nights with mods, building up a nation the way i liked, with a little bit of role play thrown in. It was a fun kind of escape.

min maxing, IV + EV and status effects killed pokemon imo

I really only play R6:Siege and War Thunder any more, and really I'm not even that interested in the games themselves, I just like bullshitting with the people in our Mumble channel.

golden

I'm fucking pozzd, Sup Forums. I've played videogames so much I'm about to get fired from a fucking part-time job.
Just don't do it.

fixed

Dude XCOM 2 just fucks my shit up. I can beat Veteran and can get about halfway in Commander before my team just falls apart.

Its a better alternative to jerking off to tranny threads on /gif/

I thought video games were fun when I was a kid. Now they just bore the living fuck me. I've tried playing some games lately but after about an 30 minutes I just can't go on.

It's weird because as a kid I never would've imagined I'd be here today thinking it's much more exciting to read or study than to play games.

team based pvp + voice comms with friends is what adults play buddy

how did you got your opertive into such a shit show?

>+400h world of warcraft
>best time of my life
>game becomes shit
>now a ((((productive)))) member of ((((society))))

>deadly premonition
hehe

all the SJW trash has pushed me away from video games and now i spend all my spare money i save on my firearms hobby and fixing cars

Stop hating yourself and work it out.
People like you are no better than deranged leftists.

I've lost interest in modern games. I don't even consider buying new games and just play old crap I've had since forever. Currently running through the motions with Tomb Raider II again, doing the same old puzzles and leaps trying desperately to recapture the sense of wonder and excitement I used to have for it.

2500+ hours of Halo 3 alone here. I liked Halo 3 because it was the best combination of laid back + competitive gaming available. It was my way of always challenging myself before I discovered I was actually pretty good at sports.

Hockey is not a sport.

Fixed what this is OP's pic

You should all play Dwarf Fortress. It's the most red pilled game out there.

Jesus you sound like a huge fucking loser. Blame your problems on foreigners and women all you want, end of the day if you can't cut it in society it's because of you. If people can't fill the void in their lives that used to be spent working as a wage slave then coming home to some vapid bitch who only exists to shit out children and do housework with anything other than video games they were never going to make it anyways. If you can't handle women post feminism you are truly bitch made, it doesn't give them magic powers to dominate every narrative or win every argument. As far as your wife getting piped down by a mandingo and talking half your shit, yeah that seems like something that could happen in your future, because you are a whiney little pussy who can't deal with competition from people who can barely speak English or women who dare to talk back. You want to go back to a day where white men ran everything but even then you wouldn't be shit. No one I know who is successful is crying about women or immigrants in the workforce, it's actually pretty pathetic.

>+400days*

And I agree with you. While I'm old compared to the rest of the competition at 32 and my reflexes have always been bad, I still managed to get in the top 5-10% of the MOBAs I play.

My days of WoW were the best. Everyone I cared about played it, we played together, we raided together on the weekends on the same server. We all clicked and had a blast. We had two girls who spent all of their free time farming materials for our raids and so when the ten of us that got together on the weekends, we never had them pay for dinner. For five years we did this. Those were great times.

Thank god it isn't, because winter sports are not the kind I'm good at.

I excel at violent warm-weather sports like waterpolo, football, and any manner of combat.

>but really the less I play of it, the more productive I feel. Same goes for Sup Forums.
Remember when this place wasn't filled with normtroopers flaunting how proud they are about how little they use Sup Forums?

I don't...

I've done that too since many of my friends are gamers and it's even more boring. I was always into RPGs.

Whatever keeps your mind off the fact you'll eventually die either way.

Disagree. Sometimes people choose to not create and instead consume. Those who do nothing but create will sooner find themselves depressed and incapable of enjoying smaller things as they try to ascribe some sense of worth to every little facet of their lives. Just sit down and turn your fucking brain off, as much as that sounds horrible, it's not like you're incapable of controlling your own thoughts... Right?

nypost.com/2017/04/16/new-york-teens-are-too-busy-playing-video-games-to-have-sex/
granted this article is about new york specifically, but there's been a lot of writing over the past few years about how US teenagers are fucking less, doing drugs less, and drinking less because all they do is schoolwork and electronics (which inevitably includes video games).
on a related note:
nbcnews.com/news/us-news/most-millennials-are-finding-it-hard-transition-adulthood-report-n748676

have you created anything? are you creating anything?

yeh losing is boring
dominating real people with your friends isnt