I am a Ph.D. scientist who does not understand what the "March for Science" is even for...

I am a Ph.D. scientist who does not understand what the "March for Science" is even for. All of the people I know who are marching are not even scientists. Does anyone know what they are trying to accomplish or say?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVsAcwWTOsU
youtube.com/watch?v=W81A1kTXPa4
youtube.com/watch?v=CvYSPxvrq5s
youtube.com/watch?v=7NyX5CxGraE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

March for Science? Can I get a quick rundown on what is such event about?

Wouldn't April for Science be a better name anyway?
Brb killing myself.

>march for science
>in april
>tfw I typed out early but my captcha took time to load
JUST

>Why is Glumpf not taxing everybody to fight climate change????? Doesn't he know that we're DESTROYING the planet?????? I wish the HILLDAWG was President, then we'd have Le Bill Nye as head of the EPA!!!!!

I seriously do not understand what people think this will accomplish.

Just another grand example of virtue signalling. Going to guarantee that most of these guys aren't scientists but rather "science" enthusiasts who talk about FUCK YEAH SCIENCE and share garbage pop sci on reddit or facebook.

The small percentage that are scientists furthermore are likely scientists that fall under the "pseudo-science" range like sociology or the totally hip climate science. Their arguments rely on appeal to authority and skewed data so they just say "Science says so, my evidence is right."

Additionally it has created a platform for the more regressive leftists to hop on to address issues like transphobia, racism, GMOs.... subjects where these people's arguments are inherently anti-science and ignore blatant evidence.

Science loves me, Yes I know, because black Science man tells me so!

youtube.com/watch?v=pVsAcwWTOsU

I do like how lefties whine about GMOs yet every plant and animal we consume is the result of genetic modification/selective breeding.

These are the same people that scream when we want to spend money on space instead of welfare.

Ask them how a solar panel is made.
Whats the difference in 3/5 and silicon based panels?

Ideally we would sieze their assets, liquify them into petrochemicals and use the money to send more voyager like spacecraft to outer space.

Make science great again

Science is basically religion for liberals.

They don't understand it, they don't understand data or numbers, but they'll believe anything any "scientist" anywhere says because it came from a scientist.

Unless of course that scientist is proving race affects IQ.

>American
>PhD
>scientist

Sure, Jamal, that PhD in Gender Studies by the degree mill is science. Keep dreaming.

That hurts fee fees

Also this.

The methods don't change, just the parts used.

Thanks for typing it out, sounds like a horrible bunch there. Always have hated the FUCK YEAH SCIENCE kinds of people, since they hardly know anything about science besides few trivia facts they learned from Vsauce or something.

I am falling for this b8 but it is cool.

>I currently have an active research group and get published.
The piece of paper let's me do so. Without it no one in the government would give me grant money and no one in academia would accept my papers.

I hate them because they don't even understand science. They think that "facts" are static and don't change in the scientific community all the time, and when you argue that with them they act all high and mighty, when I'm the one with a masters in Biochemistry and they can't even graduate from their shitty community college.

On one hand I'm glad people take an interest in science. On the other hand most of these people are likely not qualified to make statements on stuff like climate change, etc. It's why Neil deGrasse Tyson gets mocked for his shitty facts on history because he has no merit to discuss history when his studies were in a completely different field.

Kind of like Bill Nye being an engineer and a children's entertainer being the face of this science movement. Science is great, but it is based in skepticism and experimentation, it's not complete fact. Scientific consensus has changed throughout our history in our quest to find the answer to everything. It's like dividing a number by two infinitely; you'll never reach that zero but you'll come closer.

I hear you. New age hippies are the worst to deal with though. They have never taken a science course but do not hesitate to tell you why vaccines are bad maaaaannnnn.

I think it's just trendy to "protest" nowadays.

I know you're a PhD but you don't have to be autistic, come on.

It's just a real life manifestation of those "#$@& YEAH SCIENCE" Facebook pages and the like

GMO's have done so much to keep our population fed and reduce starvation rates.

It's frankly terrifying to think about it when you have "Green" people like Jill Stein gain prominence while they are vocally against vaccines, GMO's, nuclear energy, etc.

>weekend
>nothing to do
>hey there's a protest why not

To understand their point you need to atleast have Ph.D in Gender Studies.

just curious, does anyone know if Obama did anything about "climate change?"

>scientists organize a march for science months ago, to protest Trump's le ebil view on science
>1000s of gender studies undergrads ask to help
>all the SJWs start using the march to spout their marxist propaganda
>all the reputable names in science drop out of the march

all you need to know

It's literally the same anti-Trump people at all the other rallies. They just unit under a different banner every time.

My genetics prof said it is supposed to stop our government from deleting climate change things like trump. Waste of time imo.

Attention without accomplishment.

they are trying to say "hey science is serious business" at a time where the president of the richest country on earth is calling global warming a hoax
if that still does not make sense, you may want to trade you "phd" for an uber driver licence

gibs for the NIH, EPA, etc.

That all makes sense and I wish I didn't read that.

WE WANT TO FIGHT GLOBAL WARMING!!!!

By, uh, taxing people...
Nevermind that the vast majority of pollution comes from shitholes like china and india.
Oh, and we are also completely opposed to nuclear energy, despite being clean, because.... "glowing green goo on The Simpsons!"
Oh, and no hydroelectric either, because that's habitat destruction!
What's that? The best way to fight manmade climate change is to combat overpopulation? What's that? The population explosions are happening in places like Africa and the Middle East entirely due to foreign aid money being used to prop up their population density?
No, that's good, we can't do that. 4 billion africans by 2040? That's okay.

See, this shit right here is why I don't take global warming alarmists serious. They're just crypto-marxists that are using an environmentalist slant as just another way to "smash the system" and go after muh evil porky capitalists and crusade against white people/societies/nations in favor of shitskins.

There was a bit of controversy in my state a while back when there was a proposal for imposing a "road tax" on people who use e-vehicles since they don't use gas and can't get the gas tax.

They were whining and complaining about it like mad.

Science has had it. We tried it, and it really didn't make people happier, so now we're going to try something else. This march is by people who want to save science, but it's too late.

is Soros somehow involved in this bullshit?

>Glumpf

I'm fully convinced that the only reason environmentalists do this bullshit is because they're just communists trying to fuck everyone over. Their goal is simply to destroy american/white/western/european businesses and markets.

For instance, America has the largest coal reserves in the entire goddamn world. And while it IS an industry, it's been severely hampered by these crypto-marxists, and they've been trying to completely destroy the industry entirely. And there are so many manufacturing businesses from lead smelt to plastics to whatever else that have had pack up and close down or move over to a country like china where they can still turn a profit. So of course, the "evil capitalist" doesn't even actually lose much, since they just head over to china. The only people getting fucked over are the workers they care so much about, allegedly.

These people are the type that circle jerk about Darwin and evolution vs creationism, yet don't realize that their political ideology is the specific end result of christianity.

It's just virtue signaling.

yeah I myself am a electrical engineering student and seeing all the pictures with so many ugly, tattooed, feminist women made me sceptical about what kind of "science" these people stand for. Surely not something with STEM.

>I have a phd in science

sure you do cleetus.

I was marching against Trumps denial of climate change, vaccines , and roll-backs on pollution standards

it is easier to signal your virtue by marching on the street than to sit shitload of hours in the lab, in the library or to invent something new

inb4 they should March of Science AND Math :P

>that their political ideology is the specific end result of christianity.
Oh boy here we go. That's right goy, christianity is just cuck propaganda! Nevermind the 2 millennia of based christianity. No no no, this modern christianity (which, coincidentally, only started spreading along with the jewish mass media) is actually the REAL form of christianity!

>march for science
>do the exact opposite

liberals when will they learn

Get the FUCK out of my city.

>There is no planet

redpilled af

Instead of marching, wouldn't it be more beneficial for actual science if all those marchers donated money to foundations instead?

It is the left attempting to organize a large march for something (does not matter what) that they can post brand as anti-trump.

Its the same thing as the pussy hat march on Washington. It was a woman's march that was claimed to be YUGE anti-trump.

Just wait for the blowback. Doing something like this just makes people hate you and whatever cause you are attempting to promote because you are violating somebody else's goodwill.

Just facebook normies really.

PhD scientist here bro

It's the fucking SJWs trying to brand "SCIENCE!!!" as some liberal shit.

Fuck these people so hard. How can you believe in 57 genders and support science? I hope they all fucking die.

I was around one of these rallies today. The woman talking seemed to blame the entire thing on white men and racism

>using this retarded argument

Selective breeding isn't the same thing as gene splicing, Shlomo.

Relax, there's enough of me there, I'm going to turn the springs into an abortion factory

It's so the "I Fucking Love Scienceā„¢" crowd can feel smug while discussing a few Mother Jones articles about "Climate Change."

kek

They have actually done nothing to keep our population fed. But they have done a lot to keep subhuman niggers fed, to the point of overpopulating.

Switch O Solar

we have to stop marginalizing ISIS

It's not about science at all thats for sure. It seems to me they are trying to push a 'climate change=science=truth' narrative.

It's Earth Week in the United States and the March for Science is to demonstrate how many people agree with the science behind global climate change.

I chuckled

>president calls climate chance a hoax made by china
>says he was just joking about that l-lol
>still defunds scientific programs

yeah idk what they are protesting no issue here

So they're just complaining about budget cuts?

Obama fucking denied that men and women existed in law. Where are people protesting about that?

>earth week

I thought it was just a day.

In my town, the Facebook site for the march says the speakers are going to be talking about the "intersection of science with social justice issues," whatever that means.

Science to leftists amounts to two things and two things only.

1. Evolution
2. Global Warming

These two things are useful because they can be used to bash conservatives with if they deny either to say they are anti-science and anti-truth. While the war over Creationism is basically over, debates on environmental policy are still going strong, and Trump is reversing some environmental measures so 90% of what concrete stated reason there is for doing this march is a pro-environmentalism message.

However, by framing it as a 'March for Science' even if most of the marchers have nothing more than a high school science education, they can try to make it seem like they're smart and high-status and their enemies are knuckle-dragging morons.

It is fucking embarrassing Trump either doesn't believe in global warming or is a massive shill and actively lies about it for muh shekels.

Science be racist yo, dem numbers an shit we made by da white devils !

oh man ace pic ~hardcore lulz
we need you

True on all points. I'm stuck in academia/research for a bit longer, but I can't wait to get out. 90% of people are complete bullshitters, the pace is glacial, the leftist bias all-pervasive. The worst part isn't even the Marxists, its the attitude which affects 2/3 of academics:

>tfw when too smart for society
>mfw populism
>the hoi polloi should trust experts
>democracy is overrated
>we need more science money for dem projects
>damn undergrads wasting time of an eminent science-kin like myself
>my 20 hour work-week and 4 month holidays are proof of the neoliberal agenda against universities
>the h index is flawed because reasons which are too complex to communicate

Most people on in this thread appear to agree with this assessment - in my opinion.

But im actually not sure if this is the entire answer. Perhaps they have a point in that people question authorities and science more - and in the process also question hard empirical facts.

I think it is hard to say, because the leftist have polluted this (possible) valid concern. Kind of remind me of a youtube video i saw with black pigeon and the Occupy Wallstreet movement.

THIS IS THEIR FUCKING SYMBOL

it is a march for a political agenda. Not science. Science is a conversation with nature, and these dudes are upset that Trump's administration wants to listen to what she is saying.

I'm going to pretend you are not larp'ing

Keep doing what you do, and don't worry about that other stuff.

Same happened with Occupy Wallstreet btw.

You forgot gender studies. As a fellow leaf, I'm surprised you forgot such an important part of our culture.

[spoiler]Fucking kill me.[/spoiler]

Also a PhD science student (although, admittedly, it's meme science psychology) and I agree. A bunch of people from my apartment block went to the one in London and wanted me to come along - all of them are Reddit-tier people who think they're intelligent but really aren't.

>Science is basically religion for liberals

But science is not the culprit.

An interesting perspective, for sure

>gender studies
>science

I was trying to refer only to things that people with a brain could acknowledge were science. But yeah, the marchers are really into that too.

I'm starting to get pissed at all the people I formerly looked up to as smart during the 2000s and early 2010s when the whole creationism debates were happening are turning out to just be virtue signalling dumb asses. This whole pro-science culture has been utterly corrupted beyond recognition.

its supposed to represent at atom you nutcase

Anyone canucks working lab jobs in ON? looking for something ~~~GTA area. Maybe QC something like that

Pop sci is getting corrupted
Hard science is more resistant to that corruption, simply because we're too far up our own asses to recognize them

Me too.

Anyone who thinks a man can be a woman is a moron.

Anyone who thinks little boys should cut their dicks off is a dangerous evil moron.

youtube.com/watch?v=W81A1kTXPa4

youtube.com/watch?v=CvYSPxvrq5s

jeesus chroist mayte

It has nothing to do with science.

Hard science is getting sucked into the pop science meme though. It's far easier to share the video results of a physicist's work that looks cool and unusual than to bore through pages of papers.

>Lanius
>The guy who talks about Hegelianism
>Implying that materialism can expand infinitely without self destruction in a world where this self destruction already occured

It's likely that you're an NCR retard who didn't ay through the Cass quests or who actually believe that the guy threatening his rivals with nukes would be some.sort of benevolent dictator.

It's time to stop posting.

It is, sorry. I live in NYC and a lot of places have events following up to Earth Day so they call it Earth Week.

>Using the orbit model and not electron probability cloud

ISHYGDDT

Liberals have to be seen virtue signaling to feel good about themselves

Experiments need funding. They have to do the bidding of the hands that pass out the grants. It started in psycology and is spreading.

youtube.com/watch?v=7NyX5CxGraE