NYC Mayor raising Price Floor on Cigs to $13 a pack

nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Cigarette-Pack-Floor-Price-13-Dollars-Mayor-Bill-de-Blasio-Proposal-419868963.html

>Mayor Bill de Blasio want to raise the floor on the cost of a pack of cigarettes in New York City to $13, which would make it the highest in the country.

>The current floor price on a pack of cigarettes in the city is $10.50.

>De Blasio says the city already has a record-low percentage of smokers, 14 percent. But he wants to further cut the number of smokers in the city by 160,000 by 2020, he said Wednesday. An estimated 900,000 New York city residents currently smoke.

>"In a way of too many addictive challenges, how supremely addictive this chemical is and what it does to people -- we have to treat it aggressively," he said during the news conference at the American Heart Association's office in midtown.

>City and state taxes on a pack of cigarettes already total $5.85, making it the highest in the country.

Smoking is bad for your health, prove me wrong

Time to smuggle and sell cigarettes in NY

Don't need to.

Explain how this justifies raising the floor price.

this already happens.

Too late. Black market is already big business here. *snickers*

smoke up, goyim

I make cartons of filtered cigs for about $9
Under $1 a pack
Eventually this will prompt a black market in tobacco products

Most cigarettes are bought and sold illegally in NYC IIRC anyway. Thing is this nigger lover will probably bitch about the Eric Garner case without realizing shit like this is exactly why Eric Garner was smuggling and died in the first place.

On a serious note. Now that more and more people are vaping and/or black market cigs and less and less are smoking the overly taxed cigarettes, he has to make up for the loss.

Wouldn't recommend it unless you're a nonthreatening little cuck

That guy was an idiot. That's not how you do black market sales.

This is hardly news. Lots of cities like to slap a tax on cigs and divert that money to healthcare as a PR stunt; then less people smoke, the money dries up and now they're on the hook to find money elsewhere.

It's the cycle of cronyism.

>This is hardly news. Lots of cities like to slap a tax on cigs and divert that money to healthcare as a PR stunt

I know that all too well. There was a report back in the early 2000's about cig tax money that was being diverted to building a ritzy golf club upstate. I was part of the anti-tax crusade but we lost badly. Oh well. War is hell.

good. drugs are degeneracy.

Good fuck those smoking degenerates

>pol will oppose this for some reason

This will drive the black marked up

>buy trunk full of smokes

>drive to NYC

>profit

I remember when pol was libertarian-lite

How far they have fallen

Yeah lets ban every thing that is bad for us ! ban guns and cars too those can kill people.

ok, badass.
you're a fucking idiot.
he was selling loosies. cigs in nyc are expensive, you a lot of people and places sell illegal ones from virginia

Reminder that Big Bird DeBlasio got Eric Garner killed with his retarded cig laws.

Be careful. At the bridges the port authority have tobacco sniffing dogs.

>This will drive the black marked up

Some of the black market yet, there is a black market for everything, but for the most part, no people will go in and buy cigs at the local department or whatever. Things like increasing the age to 21, taxing the shit out of them, IDs or everyone, does make it harder for people to smoke overall.

Tax free native american smoke shops literally an hour outside of the city

hope you don't have Asthma bro

Why does anyone pay the highest rent in the nation to live in a militarized police compound?

WHEN will the New York meme die.

A proper black market is underground and you have to know people. Not selling loosies or packs out in the streets.

BUT BUT MUH TAX OPPRESSION

>>Mayor Bill de Blasio want to raise the floor on the cost of a pack of cigarettes in New York City to $13, which would make it the highest in the country.

Still cheaper than Australia.

I stay here to fight the good fight. Someone has to make the sacrifice.

I remember when I was able to order online from those reservations until the state called in the troops and stopped it and then went after the delivery carriers like ups and postal. None of these online retailers will sell and ship their product to NY since it is illegal to do so. I use to go to NJ where the cigs were still half the price.

Just get out man, fuck that shitty island. You know it's gonna be underwater in 50 years anyway.

>Bill de Blasio
reminder

No one on Sup Forums that is sincere will argue that you fucking mong

It's all good. I'm vaping now anyway and by the time this place is underwater I'll be long gone thank god.

poor working class people in new york and obviously enraged by this, because if you work a shitty job for well over 40 hours a week, when you get home for the day, obviously a cigarette sounds fucking great.

but at the same time, increasing the price/generally making them less accessible has been shown to decrease smoking, which is objectively bad for your health, so it's probably ultimately a good thing.

Create more demand for loosies.

Bill DeBlasio is a job creator now.

Drive to Indian territory and skip taxes then head back to the city.

why does so many countries care about cigarettes so much but not things like weed or alcohol
are they the secret to living forever?

Well that depends. It's not everybody. You would have to look at your family for cancer sensitivity. My great aunt was 95 when she passed and she died a normal age related death. She drank like a water drain and smoked like chimney. And there are many many many stories like that.

because cigarettes kills 50% of smokers and kill way more than all other drugs combined, alcohol included.

Nicotine doesn't impair you like weed or alcohol. They are both better highs but you can smoke when you're working.

Cigarettes kill you faster and kill those around you.

>localised price increase

An excellent way to encourage the black market.

Sure it does. I bet when I die of a heart attack at age 75 they'll say it was directly related to being a smoker in my 20's.

>but at the same time, increasing the price/generally making them less accessible has been shown to decrease smoking, which is objectively bad for your health, so it's probably ultimately a good thing.
If they were serious about reversing addiction, they would make alternatives more readily accessible.

They don't really give a fuck about the health of smokers though, in fact I would imagine di Blasio and his ilk have nothing but scorn for smokers. He's probably hoping for a few more Eric Garners out of all this.

These price floors don't help anyone kick the habit, they just make it more expensive or more dangerous to keep the habit up.

>directly related to being a smoker in my 20's

That's exactly what they do to pad up the statistics. Even if you died at 95 of natural causes and were a smoker.

You sound like a moron. What about Mcdonalds or Coca Cola? If the state sees right to tax tobacco at that rate, they should tax ALL items detrimental to the citizenry and should not have lotteries, as that promotes gambling. The state is acting unreasonably in this case.

one thing at a time dogg

>Cigarettes kill you faster and kill those around you.
And what do you think is going to happen to all the fatbodies we have in the US? Tobacco isn't going to kill 30% of the population, but beetus will.
Should we tax soda and fast food at the same rate as tobacco?

I lived in that hellhole up until 2012 and cigs were $15 a pack then unless you went to the nigger neighborhoods and bought the packs with VA tax stamps from the arabs.

Even in upstate NY theyre more than $10.50 a pack now.

Either way, smoking is degenerate and I'd tell you to kill yourselves but you already are.

I don't think so, dogg. The state has no right to pick and choose which evil will be acceptable. Either tax it all, or fuck off.

I wish burgers had a tax on fat people too.

I don't see the need to overcharge a dying man.

>$15 a pack

Those are downtown prices. Think they are up to $17 a pack now. Go to local neighborhoods and a pack of Newports will cost you legally $12.50.

>The state has no right to pick and choose which evil will be acceptable
What are you talking about. That is exactly their right, it's basically the whole point of a local government. To keep order.

An actual "just" code of laws would fit on an index card, but that's not the point of the game anymore.

Why dont people vape..?
>healthier
>chepear

Bill Deblasio can choke on my fat cock. Fuck that retarded coal burning piece of shit

The first rule to black market sales is to not actually be black while doing them.

>Bitch, please.

Go and look up what a pack of cigarettes in Australia costs.

Who cares? Life is not a game about who lives the longest.

isn't raising the price of cigarettes racist because it's a tax on black people?

>vaping
>not a faggot

pick one

Congratulations America you're almost there! A packet here costs fucking $32.

kek I'm a poorfag who lived in nyc all my life and I've been paying full price for cigs because I'm too lazy to go to Jersey/don't really care about money all that much

I don't give a fuck if packs were $20 a pop I'd still buy them

Fuck off, user. The state is us, the people. They can't pick and choose what evil is acceptable based on what will be tolerated. Put the same tax on soda and fast food, see what happens. Tobacco is an easy mark because not enough people smoke that could vote whomever raises these taxes, out. I want fatbodies taxed so they can't afford to get fat, and I don't want my kids seeing walls of scratchoff tickets, every time they walk in a store. This is pure hypocrisy.

A lot of us do. I can't tell you how many vape stores have opened up in the city. They are beginning to outnumber the optimo stores. Even the optimo stores are carrying vape products. I still get my stuff online though. That's the problem Deblasio faces. The cigarette tax income has dwindled and he needs to make up for the shortfall on the people that still smoke cigarettes. Though, the government has stepped up the attack on vapes because you know muh children crap.

At some point you abbos are going to learn agriculture and just grow your own.

Hurts low income worse, just like gasoline taxes.

Your people literally burn books; we all know Australia is a shithole. I mean you're a fucking ex penal colony, what do you expect?

smoking rates have already been plummeting among human citizens without these measures, they're just trying to use vice taxes as a revenue stream since their liberal politics can't fund themselves and this always ends badly

It's a tax on the poor.

I did look into that as well. If only I had a backyard! Then I'd have to worry about the government raiding my property confiscating my tobacco crop and charging me for tax evasion.

>smoking rates have already been plummeting among human citizens
those goddamn xenos though, they cannot get off the Terran coffin nail

Whatever....I already get my cigs at Virginia prices. Fuck DeBlasio...he can suck my cunt...I didn't vote for his stupid ass!

Fuck off. People have bad breath and is unconfortable to others.

Everytime people see mine or warn me, ask about the price or If its a pain to charge it. Like wtf

>Australia is a shithole

Can't really disagree mate. Sorry for your fail attempt at a insult ;)

not ordering a lb of natural grown pesticide and poison free handrolling tobacco wholesale online for 20$.

It's not an insult if it's objective fact stated flatly. Sorry user.

Bloomberg is still worse so far. He's the reason they tax is so high in the first place.

Smokers are fucking stupid. Buy a bag of pipe tobacco for $6. If you refuse to use a pipe then buy empty cigarette cartridges and shove the pipe tobacco in there.

$25 a pack or go home

Look at this man. Look at how fucking cool he is. All the coolness is derived from that cigarette. Now, try telling me it's bad for you again.

I used to be a total lolbertarian cuck on shit like this, but not anymore. Good. Tobacco products should be fucking banned. I don't give a fuck how cool Clint Eastwood or Arnold looked smoking cigars. That shit is bad for you in basically every way imaginable. In my line of work, I deal with far too many people with COPD, heart disease, stroke, cancer, and other diseases all linked with tobacco to think it should still be around. Fuck individual freedoms. Fuck ancapistan. Fuck "my body, my choice". You are someone's father or mother or uncle or brother or friend. You have an obligation to your family and your folk to be a healthy contributing member of society. Not some fucking leech on disability carrying around an O2 tank who has to go to the hospital every other week and waste untold thousands of dollars in healthcare costs on the system.

My beef is that the people who typically crusade against tobacco, the leftists, are also TOTALLY IN FAVOR of marijuana. Motherfucker, you're still inhaling burnt leaves into your throat. That shit is bad as well. It's totally hypocritical to fight against tobacco while lobbying for the legalization of DUDE WEED LMAO

Having people willingly hurt their health, also hurts the health of the state

and the State is more important than the individual

prove me wrong(you can't)

>I used to be a total lolbertarian
Stopped reading right there

good cause smokers are giants fags. They smoke and give 2nd hand smoke to everyone.

That's a Kramer scheme if I've ever heard one

california is gonna ban fruit flavored blunts
niggers gonn be butthurt as fuck

That's the other aspect of this issue. "morality tax" is something I normally approve of, but with tobacco, that shit is addicted. And on the surface, their reasoning is that the higher price will dissuade people from using it. But that isn't what happens. All that happens is people still have to pay out the ass for it. End result? You didn't help at all, and you're lining your own pockets with tax money.

That's why they should just fucking be banned outright.

He's a manlet 3 term mayor kike billionaire...of course he's worse.

If New York of all places banned cigarettes, they'd be the butt of so many more jokes and get lambasted globally which is something they really don't want any more of .

This. It would be helpful.

Still $30USD a pack.

Sure you can try to ban but we humans find our ways around that. All too easy.

Pretty sure you can grow it for personal use.

Homosexuals on average live 10 years less than smokers
Let that sink in.