The imperial measurement system is so fucking stupid. It's so goddamn complex, it's the worse thing about this country...

The imperial measurement system is so fucking stupid. It's so goddamn complex, it's the worse thing about this country. Who the fuck decided this shit is "better" than Metric?

>"i have a great idea!! lets make the rest of the world suffer as everyone has to translate between our measurement systems!!"

Fuck Imperial, this is an Imperial hate thread

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(force)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

y u mad tho??

Have you ever tried to describe the measurements of something to someone who only knows the opposite system? Its chaotic and pointless

my dog has the pink eye, I am very sad, please cure him God.

Woah really? It's like you're using a different system to them or something.

You're right OP. Multiplication and division are hard.

when we changed from imperial to metric companies made it an excuse to increase all prices artificially, when you have smaller values its harder to notice the difference

>someone who only knows the opposite system?

The only people who only know one system are communists.

Imperial is not a single system, its a collection of systems all designed to be optimal for a certain purpose, which over time have been standardized such that you can evenly translate measurements from one set into another, for convenience.

People who use imperials also use metric in the right situations, and most countries do use alternate units for certain tasks, its only russia that doesn't use anything but metric.

Newtons*
Now eat a dick

Not sure about other countries but metric is rarely used much less even taught over here. Atleast where im from

When was the last time you had to convert between units in your brain? Never. Imperial units are much more sensible from a human perspective than metric units.

Metric is only useful in scientific fields, and oh, would you look at that, metric is exclusively used in said fields.

>fight war of independence from empire
>be last country using imperial units

lul nope. In 20 years of life in germany i had never have to deal with anything that isnt metric. Only old words for some ammounts of metric units. But that stuff is only used in speech by old people.

Your just used to imperial units for personal things. They make sense for you, cause you use them everyday. And it would be the same with metric.

You dont buy your soda by the 2 liter bottle?
You dont measure very small things in mm? you still use fractions of an inch?

People in the US dont think in terms of meters or KM because feet and miles are superior, but mm are golden.

Metric fluid measurements are also superior untill you get up to gallons.

Yards are only used in sports in the US yet for some reason every europoor things we convert feet to yards all the time (or yards to miles) because they only know how to think in terms of converting units, not in just using one unit until another unit is a better idea.

>It's so goddamn complex
brainlet pls go
>lets make the rest of the world suffer
Who the fuck cares about how the rest of the world feels? Are you one of those redditors who think yurop should have a say in US presidential elections?

Yeah lets all switch to a generic jew measurement system. While we're at it lets just all learn one language and have 1 global country.

Anyone for a free helicopter ride?

>communists
checks out.

I dispute this based purely on the observation that imperial users have no confusion when it comes to using metric in terms of conversion, but metric users do not understand the way we use our units at all, as evident by their arguments against imperial always having to do with how clunky imperial is to convert, demonstrating a lack of awareness that you dont have to convert imperial units, the units are the perfect sizes, you never need to scale units up or down within a certain task. The fact that you have to convert shows the weakness of imperial.

I couldn't find a way to explain it, but thats perfect

Gov only keeps imperial to save money converting systems

Thats it

The US are cheap bastards

>Implying the UK isn't straddling the fence.
Ironically it's usually American products that have metric measurements over here.
>Coke is in liters.
>Milk and beer are in pints.

>Official "I failed that test because Imperial is hard" thread.

The metric system is just so much better. Everything is multiplied by 10 or 100. I don't understand why amerifats don't just use it.

>1000mg = 1g, 1000g = 1kg, 1000kg = 1 Ton,
>1000mL= 1L (which is also 1kg of water because 1mL of water is 1g)
>10mm = 1cm, 100cm = 1m, 1000m = 1km.

Can someone from america lay out this same thing but in the imperial system? I'd look it up but I'm too lazy.

Metric = best.

>when we changed from imperial to metric companies made it an excuse to increase all prices artificially, when you have smaller values its harder to notice the difference
That has been claimed, but not observed.

Why are yards never used to describe short distance across space? Whats so special about having an atmosphere that makes Imperial users use yards?

Pounds are a measurement of force and mass.
cf en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(force)

good post

A litre is a measure of volume not a measure of weight. How can you fuck your own system that badly?

>I need 5280 tiny steps to walk a mile, it's easy!

Subhuman filth.

obligatory

I agree. As an American I'd much prefer to use metric, there's no thought when converting and math by hand is much easier.

Having said that, I'm not a little bitch too stupid to understand Imperial just as well. Most Americans don't know it either.

Wasn't gallon 3.8 L??

>In 20 years of life in germany i had never have to deal with anything that isnt metric.

Horseshit, Hans.
What time is it in metric?

it was in the Berenstain universe...

Over here we buy coke etc in 1.5 Litre, 2 Litre or 2.25 Litre bottles. And we do measure very small things in mm.

I understand what you're saying about how each separate measurement is used for measuring different things and you don't often convert them, but do you not think it would be easier to have a more applicable measurement method where you could break it down with ease, i.e, you could call something half a metre, or 50cm, or 500m, depending on the accuracy needed? (trying to have a real discussion here, not just throwing what you said in the trash cos I'm a jerk)

Metric universally and irrevocably BTFO.

No one converts to your system, all international trade is done in SI units. You're the one that's forced to convert. In any case, imperial units are defined in SI units anyway so it doesn't even matter.

>Can someone from america lay out this same thing

We dont need to because you will never have to convert if you use imperial, thats the point of the system, different tasks have their own optimized unit. Things only evenly divide into each other so you can do things like buy lumber by the yard and carpet by the foot and end up with a house that fits together.

if you look into the history of each unit you see where they come from and why they are better.

The acre is superior to square km for example, because an acre actually represents the amount of farmland needed to feed one family (using traditional farming practices). Some german would come in and try to make things evenly divisible by 10 for optimal scaling and people would starve to death, causing them to seek out new land and pissing off poland. Its happened before.

Fahrenheit is the better system for just telling people the temperature outside and not doing lab shit though.

>Can someone from america lay out this same thing but in the imperial system?

Work involving measurement is always more convenient if everything can be expressed in whole numbers and lengths that can be readily visualized.

One mile is 63360 inches. A half mile is 31680 inches. A quarter mile is 15840 inches. 1/8th of a mile is 7920 inches. 1/16th of a mile is 3960 inches. 1/32nd of a mile is 1980 inches. 1/64th of a mile is 990 inches. 1/128th of a mile is 495 inches.

(side note: a gallon is 128 ounces, or 2 to the 7th power)

The brilliance of the design becomes even more apparent when dealing with thirds: 495 can be divided into three equal whole-number parts—165, which can again be divided into three equal whole-number parts—55. 55 is then divisible by 5 and 11.

A major disadvantage of the metric system in the real world is that thirds and elevenths cannot be expressed as whole numbers.

The number 63360 is admirably practical as it is composed of the factors 2, 3, 5, and 11.
A mile is 2x2x2x2x2x2x2x3x3x5x11 inches.

These factors are the basis of other units of Imperial measurement as well:
There are 2x2x2x2x2x3x5x11 feet in a mile.
There are 2x2x2x2x2x5x11 yards in a mile.
There are 2x3x3x11 inches in a pole.
There are 2x2x2x2x2x2x5 poles in a mile.
There are 2x2x2x2x3x5x11 yards in a domesday league.

NONE of this is coincidence.

11 is an extremely important number in real world estimations, because Pi.

For example, if you want to construct a circle with a circumference of one mile, the radius will be 280 yards, or 840 feet, or 10080 inches.

If the circumference is to be one third of a mile, the radius is 280 feet.

A circumference of one fifth of a mile, the radius is 56 yards.

A circumference of one thirtieth of a mile would have a radius of 28 feet.

1/36th of a mile, a radius of 280 inches.

And a circle with a circumference of 1/360th of a mile can be constructed with a radius of 28 inches.

Now, fuck off you commie mong.

The second is the metric unit of time.

Imperial is always better for telling people things that actually happen in reality.

I'm well aware of this thanks, I was just stating that if you were to weigh 1mL of water, it would weigh 1g. So if you were going to carry say 40L of water for 5km, which is not a pleasant experience, you could say you were carrying an extra 40kg of weight. It's just some handy knowledge.

Imperial hate thread? Alright!

>60 second to a minute.
Congratulations on making the most retarded comment of the thread.

The way i see it is those measurements were developed organically. We measure certain things in certain ways because those were the most convenient scales for measuring those things when the scales were just made up and standardized by the people dealing with those things.

There are certainly applications where metric is superior, which is why we use metric sometimes. I view metric as 'part of imperial' in all honesty, its just another tool in imperials toolbox.

Ideally over time our units will shift such that metric and imperial units are evenly divisible into each other in some way, and there will be no problem then, then you will be able to ship things measured in meters in containers measured in square feet and it wont be a problem. Imperial units did not always fit together as nicely as they do today.

>US gallon = UK gallon
Nigel. youre drunk

Im glad people can understand how when it comes to advancing society, imperial is as useful as bear shit

>Imperial units are much more sensible from a human perspective than metric units.
nope. you're just accustomed to imperial and now think it "FEELS more natural" or whatever. people who are accustomed to metric think the same about metric and to us imperial feels wrong.

Had a few laughs, but actually learnt something. Thank you for educating me.

When buying e.g. cheese we use the imperial names, but with different weights, e.g.
Pound = 500 gram
Ounce = 100 gram

thats amusing, because an ounce is 28 grams roughly

Your ignoring the fact thay burgers are so fucking retarded that you literally killed people when they standardized THE TIME due to railways.

> muh time

Fuck you

>We measure certain things in certain ways because those were the most convenient scales for measuring those things when the scales were just made up and standardized by the people dealing with those things.
>when the scales were just made up

The meter was originally defined as 1/10,000,000th of the distance from the North Pole to the equator, but because the faggot frog calculated wrong, it was later retconned to be the distance travelled by light in 1/299,792,458th of a second, in a vacuum.

WTF. Why?
Those are nowhere even close to the actual conversions.

No, you are wrong. Base 12 is better than base 10 for reality. Metric is literally shit at visualization compares to imperial, not because of what people are used to, but because it is literally more flexible. All metric can do is have a decimal point. The moment you start doing it different like say 4 and a third KM, is the moment you may as well be using imperial all along.

>>Autism Intensifies

>4 and a third
you mean 4.33 recurring? thats not hard to get your head around

Only thing I unironically buy in imperial is gold/silver.

>flag
How can you not know an ounce?

So it's just a matter of learning what's measured which way? I feel like that doesn't leave a lot of room for accuracy. But as you said, you also use metric for some things.

I don't know, personally I couldn't be bothered to learn a second system of measurement now that I'm past the age where your brain absorbs information the easiest, but I feel as though if I learnt imperial as a child in school and had the base knowledge of it I wouldn't mind so much.

I know how long a foot is, and an inch, and a mile, but after using the metric system and its.. Fluidity?- for 20+ years, it seems illogical to use such an outdated and archaic system.

Then again, it also seems illogical to me to stone people to death for shit, or for people to believe that an invisible man in the sky controls everything, yet millions of people would say otherwise.

4 inches is much easier.
>1/2 foot = 6 inches.
>1/3 foot = 4 inch
>1/4 foot = 3 inches

>not hard to get your head around
No, but you will never have a perfect third that way, and thats a lot longer to say. You are only ever going to divide one into three equal parts if you use fractions.

Fractions and geometry are the most superior forms of math for interacting with the real world.

> this much autism

You've lost.
Go REEEEE on your own time

It's only informal though, when buying gold we use the right measure.

Same here, and it's sometimes on drinks.

Tell me by heart, how many inches is 4 and 1/3 miles?
I can tell you instantly, that 4 1/3 km is 4.33(3)e5 cm

educate me on this please

The only usefull measurement in imperial is the furlong, because a cricket pitch is .1 furlong

he said the second is metric, not the minute... dealing with retards here, i'm out

>only russia
Most of the world uses just metric as it's perfectly sufficent

Drinks? You measure drinks in this shit?

>40ml is a 'shot' here.

You got a standard?

As a business owner, i have to constantly convert to ounces and mm, its so annoying ordering parts from different countries and have to constantly convert measurements. And then once youre selling it, you also have to lable the dimensions and weight as something the general populace can understand. Its a fucked up system with no winners.

The cheese things is just historical, we stuck with it after the French came. Other than that we never use imperial system, and are also not taught it.

Ps a lot of people use the metric system for cheese too.

>The only usefull measurement in imperial is the furlong, because a cricket pitch is .1 furlong

A furlong is 1/8th of a mile, or 660 feet.
A chain is 1/80th of a mile, or 66 feet.
An acre is one chain by one furlong.

kek - bolt and nuts in whitworth, BSB, metric doing your head in yet?

We use liters, but the can sometimes also indicates ounces.

>this post
>claiming superiority of the imperial system

So why don't they use kilosecond?

>superiority of the imperial system

The metric system was only invented because frogs wanted the length of their cock to sound bigger.

When the US started puttinf rail through towns, they had to 'standardise' time so everyone knew when the train would arrive.

Burgers speged out, cos freedumb
> the government cant tell me the time!

Small, local violence about what the time was.

Thats the basics

indeed. one cricket pitch is .1 furrows long. the rest of the time we use white person measurements

Its similar to knowing multiple languages. Different ones have different characteristics, it might be easier to communicate a concept using one or another. Like the languages with absolute direction might be more useful for discussing things compared to the more common relative direction languages.

We got along fine with out metric for a long time, and metric only users get alone fine as well. Its more that i dont really consider SI to be superior, its full of arbitrary things as much as anything else. Its like when people arguing for celsius insist that the behavior of an arbitrary molecule at an arbitrary altitude on an arbitrary planet is some holy justification for that system, and that the subdivisions must be 100 because base 10. Meanwhile fahrenheit at least has a unit-lenght that is based on an actual element (mercury) which can be reproduced regardless of your physical location.

It would be easier to reconstruct the fahrenheit scale on an alien planet on a space station or whatever as long as you had merucy and a human than it would to reconstruct celsius

>how many inches is 4 and 1/3 miles?
There is no reason i would ever convert miles to inches. When something is less than a mile we use factions of a mile. When something is less than a tenth of a mile we just point at it.

farenheit is inelegant
at 1 Bar, boilng point of water is 100 degrees, freezing 0

define a second

about 30.7 metres at the equator

Direct c/p from google

"One second is defined as the time it takes for the cesium frequency to oscillate 9,192,631,770 times."

The unit lenght of one degree farenheit is based on how mercury expands in a vacuum as its heated or cooled. Thats a lot better than celsius.

Pure water isnt even that meaningful, who cares about it? We are made of salt water, and F incorporates brine on its scale.

you're an idiot, metric was created in the french revolution by enlightenment cuntbags and now everyone is forced to use these autistic measurements rather than the human scale system we had used for literally thousands of years.

yes that is all very nice to the mind of an autistic but you can only divide 10 into 5s, 2s and 1s. Now, 12...
you can split 12 into ones, twos, threes, fours, and sixes.

48 has ten factors, but 50 only has four factors. 96 has more factors than 100, and so on. But now everything is dehumanized, you just click a button on a screen, and soon there will be no more cash. You metric cucks will be ripping out your hair when that happens. Metric is used for money because its marginally easier for banks to fuck you up the anus using it.

MPG is the stupidest thing ever tbqh, in comparison l/100km is completely linear and transparent.
Going from 20 to 30MPG is a much bigger improvement than going from 50 to 70MPG in the first case it's a difference of 3.86l vs 1.34l/100km.
Therefore the difference of 10MPG is 3 times more important than a difference of 20MPG lmao.

>standardising units
>bad
I'd have nothing against imperial if it had normal conversions like 1 feet = 10 inches. It doesn't matter what the base unit is as long as you use multiplications of 10 to convert between them. Instead you choose to still be cucked by Britain's long dead empire.

Just checking in here to post this for relevance sake.

>9,192,631,770 times
Oh yeah that makes perfect sense, good job using an elegant time unit there :^)

>One second is defined as the time it takes for the cesium frequency to oscillate 9,192,631,770 times

topkek
Yep. Nothing arbitrary about the metric system, at all.

We would use metric for such a specific calculation.

Metric money was the worst thing that ever happened to the UK.
>Centuries of money being worth similar amounts.
>Now a pound is worth half a frozen pizza and it looks like in a decade it'll be worth a quarter.

just cut off your foreskin and go

>I'd have nothing against imperial if it had normal conversions like 1 feet = 10 inches.

You must hate the real world and numbers like Pi and Phi.

Just wanted to post the same

reminder that anyone who measures their height in inches is a cunt