Redpill me on cash-for-clunkers Sup Forums. Was it a good idea?

Redpill me on cash-for-clunkers Sup Forums. Was it a good idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks
youtube.com/watch?v=RATW0-Oy3OY
youtube.com/watch?v=JmvkLrVXBIk
youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek
youtube.com/watch?v=dzz4DjUnPJk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fraudsters LOVED it. Lots of people got very rich buying up junk cars and reselling them to Obama at a steep markup.

This.

Was not a good idea. Took some classic cars off the road, killed the used car market, which meant that car manufacturers could now charge (lots) more for new cars, because people couldn't just buy a used older car instead; the big 3 didn't have to compete nearly as much.

That is why a bare-bones Tahoe now costs $60,000.

I traded in my parents' minivan that barely ran. It was a good deal for me.
You needed documentation that you owned the car for at least a year before purchase. Not that faking such things is impossible.

/o/ here, this shit still triggers me up the walls

>all those wonderful AMC cars, lost forever

>haha just trade in your Supra bro, you'll get money for it haha

Hey review brah. Gimme a quick review on cash for clunkers.

Any stories about this? I was kinda checked out of things around the time. I heard it basically killed used cars for a while, and that the engine lock used to disable the "clunkers" was an environmental hazard.

Anyone got any cool fraud stories, etc?

Why?

>Took some classic cars off the road, killed the used car market
Unless someone was retarded the wouldn't be turning in a car that was worth less than 4,500. It did play havoc on the used car market since a lot of people do want cars that cost under $4,500 and those cars were destroyed. It seems to have recovered now. I see cars at the used car lots for prices around 3K and 4K regularly. I suppose the real bottom end of the market around $1K is still feeling the disruption.

Yes and it needs to be done again. Poors belong in jail, or the army - not out on the roads.

>worth less than 4,500.
Wouldn't be turning in a car that was worth more than 4500

it was neo-keynesian horseshit

No.

It trashed a lot of perfectly fine economy cars and ruined the used car market.

Same.
It fucked up the used car market and killed classics.

Not yet, my car is worth above $4500.

>and that the engine lock used to disable the "clunkers" was an environmental hazard.

youtube.com/watch?v=X0IcIxhd8ks

So many goddamn classic cars, cheap (not "cheap quality" cheap) jap+domestic cars...lost...like tears in rain...

meant to post that photo because my reaction to Cash 4 Clunkers is the therapy doggo's face

WHERE DO I START? You can't buy a decent-quality used car nowadays because everyone decided to sell and/or junk them under the C4C program. Lots of nice old cars (rare/classic or just plain ordinary but bulletproof) got purposefully ruined and destroyed beyond salvage just so they could scrap everything to smelt it down. There's fucking DOZENS of videos on youtube with cars like old volvos, old jeeps, old jaguars, etc. being ran to death with this mixture of silica and sand (or something, can't remember), and these were cars that were still in great condition and could run for another couple tens of thousands of miles (or more).

Jeep Grand Cherokee:
youtube.com/watch?v=RATW0-Oy3OY

'87 Ferd Mustang:
youtube.com/watch?v=JmvkLrVXBIk

2000 Volvo T80
youtube.com/watch?v=iD0Pv6yyGek

I didnt look very hard but you could find plenty more examples of DECENT cars that were purposefully ruined beyond being salvageable just so they could artificially stimulate the new car market. This shit unironically triggers me to no end.
>tl;dr: muh used car market

It's really quite simple:

>Gov gains an interest in major US car manufacturers through TARP bailout

>Manufacturers need to sell cars to make money.

>PROBLEM: too many old, cheap affordable cars out there.

>SOLUTION: remove millions of old cars from the market, driving up used car prices and thus indirectly fueling new car purchases.

The Gov used cash for clunkers to profit from their interest in US car manufacturers.

Also another side-effect of C4C is that a lot of the models of cars that got junked in the program are now worth more than before on the used car market (supply & demand).
>e.g: old economy-style cars, volvo station wagons, jeeps, old GM/Ford SUVs, etc.

>Olds Aurora V8
FUCK that makes me so mad.
I've always wanted a comfy V8 cruiser like that

How triggered do you want to get, my senpaitchi
youtube.com/watch?v=dzz4DjUnPJk

God I wish they would bring this back. My hand me down peice of shit is so old and so barely functional at this point that I'd be lucky if I could get $1000 for it.

It's fuel efficientcy is shit, the hood won't lock anymore, It's caked in shit cause my parking spot is under a tree that jizzes tree goo all over my car every day, the roof molding is coming off, and there's an oil leak than continues to get bigger every year.

The only selling point I could tell someone is "It runs. It will in fact get you from point A to point B".

Sell it on craigslist instead of asking the government to solve your problems, retardpants

No. Took affordable cars off the market. Designed to keep the poor, poor. Plus as a car enthusiast I'm sure some nice, future classics were destroyed.

>get rid of all those old ugly archaic cars goyim
>they are polluting earth so you need to buy a new car, nevermind the fact that manufacturing a new car releases more pollution than driving the old one
>oy vey the old cars dont even have up to date safety features and tracking systems, the cia couldnt even take control of your car and crash it if they wanted to
>now we have more people buying our new cars, more shekels
>now all those used cars we own have gone up in value, even more shekels
>good goyim, enjoy your prius

>low mile LT1
RREEEEEEEEE

Good goy. Turn in your running car and get a loan on a new one!

You have not taken the automotive redpill until you realize there were cars in the late 80s/ early 90s that got better mpg than modern day (((economy))) cars.

Like a diesel rabbit~55mpg avg
Or old geo/toyota honda models.
Google the MPG a Honda crx HF gets

Smart people who kept their old caprices (not googled) just saw a skyrocket in their value.

Yeah thats why I get pissed off about C4C, a lot of those old 80's jap cars that sipped gas were basically scrapped to make the new CIA-approved/controlled cuckboxes on the market today

The price of a used '96 Impala is fucking insane nowadays, and not even the SS trim. Just the base model.

>getting a loan
>ever
What are you retarded?

Oh, so its bacially sand. Ok.

And late stage capitalism + bs economics. Here's a perfectly fine vehicle. Lets destroy it!

One of the worst things to happen in my lifetime. The clinton gun ban expired after 10 years. With this cash for clunkers bullshit, the availability of parts for used vehicles evaporated. That is why you see every poor person driving a shitbox kia financed for 6 years rather than 15 year old jeep cherokee that just needs some TLC. Made the old cars too expensive to maintain.

Never thought about that it would also kill the parts economy for repairs on old cars too. Put a stupid nigger in charge of the country and you get poor economic decisions. No way...

But bro, the newer car is much cleeeeeeeaner :^) Don't you feel so much better :^) Now we just need to get rid of all these damned power plants :^) Then we'll all be so cleeeeeeeeeeeean and happy :^)

>his car is clean but his food isn't

This. The last two cars I've owned were '85 and '91 BMWs. Say what you want about the brand but those older models are like tanks. Where I live it's hard to find cool used parts

When I was in the states I had a 1985 Chevy Blazer CUCV, diesel, it is the supreme bug out truck, comes with gun rack, got like 25 mpg going 60 mph on the highway, I hated I had to sell it, I sold it for $2000 now they are going for like $6000 up, damn it

Sucked massive fucking dick for me. I was buying my first car at the time and all the cars that would have been in my price ranged were destroyed in cash for clunkers

Jesus I felt like I was watching a video of a perfectly good puppy at the pound be euthanized.

>1985 Chevy Blazer CUCV, diesel,

Why did you have to sell it?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle

>The Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle or CUCV/LSSV (CUCV, pronounced cuck-vee)
>cuck-vee