Lunar colony or trip to Mars?

Apparently, Trump wants to send a man to Mars by his second term but wouldn't lunar colony make more sense?

He also wanted to build a wall, but now it's going to be a security parameter.

Babies born on a lunar colony would be all shitty so it's more practical to colonize a planet with more earth like gravity so we eventually won't have to keep shipping people up there.

It doesn't matter NASA is a scam you can't go to the moon in a tin can with rocket fuel.

Both are a fucking waste of time. There is nothing interesting nor valuable on both places, and the gravity there is so weak you'll get osteoporosis if you don't get back to Earth at frequent intervals. It is also harder to grow food as plants' roots can't use their capillary action as effectively when there is less gravity.
No planet in the solar system is fit for a colony, only robotic exploration.

How much would it actually take to terraform a planet, let's say the size of Mars. I've read about the idea that you can go start putting some kind of moss on these uninhabitable planets and they will begin to slowly terraform the surface.
Mars' atmosphere is 96% CO2, but then again it's also about 0.6% as dense as our atmosphere here on Earth. I get the feeling that any sort of terraforming would take millenia.

baby centrefuge

We could terraform Venus.

You cant naturally terraform Mars.You need a bigass magnetic field generator to shield you from the Sun and cosmic radiation.Without that shield there is exactly 0% chance at a succesful Mars colony happening.

only in the sense that it's closer.

Mars actually has an atmosphere, which, while inhospitable to us, at least exists and can probably block some apace rays and shit.

basically, building something on mars is more like building in an inhospitable desert, while building on the moon is like building on rocks, covered in fine powdered rock.

also, Mars has more comparable gravity than the moon. it's still only 37% the gravity of Earth, but it's more managable than the moon which is 17%

we dont have artificial gravity yet.

personally, I think a lunar colony would be the tits just to fulfill all my 90's fantasies, (and it would make for one hell of a tourist destination what with the view of the Earth) but both would be ok in my book, so long as we fucking actually do it.

See, the thing about going to Mars, as opposed to going back to the moon- is that our space program has deteriorated so badly since we first did it, that we dont know if we CAN do it again as we currently are.

So if we tried to revisit the moon and something went wrong, it would ruin our credibility, while if we go somewhere ELSE and it fails, "oh well, at least we've still got the moon under our belt"

I would do Mars first. We already did the moon.

Mars has no magnetic field so it's essentially impossible to realistically terraform suitably for human habitation.

Terraforming Mars requires figuring out what is wrong with it's core and kick starting it's "engine".

Kind of hard.

Then you gotta get a gazillion tons of co2 up into the atmosphere somehow.

we will never leave this planet. the human race is stuck here forever.
our best hope is to live underground in a virtual reality existence, which we probably are doing right now anyway.

This. Everything would be spinning so fast your body would feel 1g most of the time you were inside.

we did it to earth in like.. 80 years?
imagine if we actually tried.. lol

We need to build an orbital defense grid. The Klingons keep sending their rapists, their robbers, their criminals.

looks comfy af

isnt the surface of mars littered with radioactive materials?

and again, it cant be stated enough, that the Moon not having an atmosphere is a very big deal, because that makes the surface much more dangerous.

Remember Portal 2? Remember Cave Johnson talking about moon rocks and getting poisoned by them?

Lunar Regolith is actually very dangerous. it's basically like asbestos. because there's no atmosphere, and no water, the dust and ground rocks are bombarded by space radiation and friction, everything that can cause dry erosion- but there's nothing to smooth it out. So each microscopic grain of lunar dust is razor sharp, and WILL destroy your lungs if you breathe it in. And considering what it can do to Humans, I imagine it's effect on machinery and such would also be detrimental in the long term. And that's in addition to the fucking radiation. You've heard about how the American Flag on the moon is probably bleached white by now, well, thats the kind of radiation, both solar and non-solar, which would be constantly affecting whatever installations weve got there/

Lol. Mars is just a tiny hole in the dome.

Ball earth tards BTFO

I want a trump hotel on the moon

Centrifugal force and gravity just look the same,they are not the same.It just mitigates the effects.

we need some sort of facility to build even bigger space ships and stations..
someone needs to attempt a space elevator

But I love crackerbarrel
I also shop at whole foods sometimes also.
What's wrong with me?

Absolutely nothing. They are both good stores to shop at depending on your tastes.

There is absolutely no value in sending Homo sapiens (the organism) into deep space.

nonwhite see problems
white people find solutions

>Co2
Im pretty sure that's what Mars' atmosphere is ALREADY mostly composed of.

what we would need is to make Oxygen.