What are Sup Forums's thoughts on the Vietnam War?

What are Sup Forums's thoughts on the Vietnam War?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_xZVhaAKs
m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuQMJEKHw
youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

unnecessary conflict that could have been settled diplomatically, that enriched the bloated military industrial complex left over from WW2, and destroyed millions of innocent lives

it showed the elites that you will need a bigger false flag attack to motivate people to fight your wars

It was a good way to promote helicopters

Game of chess, to see what the United States was capable of.
population control

few rice farmers beat the entire overrated usa army

A proof of the American intelligence agency and military complex Egocentrism,

No scouting ahead, Just use the tactics we did before. No need to get ready at all or even just test our stuff before going, let's just send tanks in Vietnam.

Then there's that guy, Diem. Diem is the principal reason Vietnam was lost. But the fault goes also on the CIA. They tried to place him ontop of the government like they did with another guy to supress a minor conflict in Malaysia, except that Diem went rogue. He cheated his election overly, massacred buddhists, and instead of looking like a good little neat American pawn, he went dictatorship. And the CIA wasn't careful. Diem suspected Americans would try to replace him, so he killed his brother, who was the one that the CIA had for 'backup plan' if he went rogue(Remind you of a potbelly north korean?). Vietnamese generals soon took over, but the will to fight was gone from the South vietnamese. To them, it was now America's war, not their war.

>TLDR: America began walking into mud, hoping it'd be over soon, but they just got deeper and deeper while the south vietnamese were singing on their shoulders.

it was an experiment in sustaining war for as long as possible, for profit (as well as resources)

Pretty aesthetic style choices

Didn't have to happen. Vietnam wanted independence but the west was unwiling to give it. This made it so they turned toward communism to get it. If French fags gave it to them like the english did to their colonies then Viets would probs still be a catholic/buddust split country that would be a lot better off. I think the US had no roll to try and help the Viets regardless of all the shit going on, it was a French colony and they should have been responsible to them.

I disagree with you there.
Americans were pro vietnam independence. Problem started when communism got involved and the Domino theory, put in place by the President "Ike" Eisenhower took over.

>if one country in a region falls to communism, the rest will shortly follow. America must prevent the dominos from falling.

This

Dien Bien Phu was a desaster

Aesthetic as fuck

m.youtube.com/watch?v=bf_xZVhaAKs

>best looking guns
>best looking aircraft
>best sounding music
>canopy jungle
>riverine warfare
>me so horny

IT

AIN'T

MEH SOU HONAY
ME LUV U LONG TIME
SAKY SAKY FAW DORRAH

Really like the aesthetics, hate that it happened. The gulf of tonkin was a hoax.

The Vietnamese we such loving people

ME

58,000+ americans lead to their deaths because of CIA trickery.

God knows how many gooks.

Unnecessary.

Domino theory and president Johnson domineering personality combined with the press getting coverage on the ground that in turn destroyed the publics confidence in the war.

>faggots release music called It ain't me
>hate to type Fortunate Son

Why America? Why are you doing that?

Its a big meh. Sick and tired to see it in the judeo-american globalist media.

Johnson inherited the war, he didn't start it.

It was pretty good especially when Kurtz was wilding the fuck out but my favourite part was when rambo had to go back and he had that bow that blew shit up

I knew a guy who was in Pu Bic
He said it was hairy

lawl lawl lawl lawl lawl le epic funny man xD desu~

It was fun

>Vietnam War
>Sweden was a good guy
SWEDEN YES

Anyway, the war was fucked for countless reasons, but the single biggest factors for why it was such a shot show was:

1. Terrain and geopolitics. People don't want to admit that just because a country is one big jungle can make the difference between a war being winnable or not but it can. Especially when they can just infiltrate by using soyrroubding countries

2. There was never a good strategy. Body counts? That's a war of attrition and while the US easily has the manufacturing capability to win such a war, they never have the stomach for it. They'll lose support long before it's over.

3. Media. The US failed to harness it. So the Tet Offensive, which should have been seen as the catastrophic defeat for the North that it was, was see as a major defeat for the US. Didn't help that they told everyone the war was almost over.

4. This is really the fundamental problem: the South Vietnamese were not willing to die for American democracy. You can't actually liberate a people if they aren't willing to liberate themselves. Che learned this the hard way in Africa. You can arm them. You can train them. You can fight their battles for them. But unless they are willing to sacrifice everything for it, it will never be sustainable.

The South Vietnamese feared the communists more than wanted American style democracy. They weren't willing to endure their families getting executed by VC. And without the will of the people, they couldn't really win.

It's like Eight-ball said in FMJ: "They took away our freedom and gave it to the gookers. They don't want it. They'd rather be alive than free."

m.youtube.com/watch?v=A4BuQMJEKHw

>Us get's paid yet again by (((them))) to fight a foreign war for $$$
>get's BTFO'd by asian rice farmers

Well it prevented us from going into a recession. Only reason we fought it. Essentially a pointless was short term, maybe useful long term but the USSR wasn't fond of trannys so maybe bankrupting them wasn't a good long term outcome

This. Also soviets used it to subvert American culture

Why?: The War.

Just about the same number of drugfags who die each year from opioids.

I was anti-war back in those days.

Comfiest war imo

I grew up thinking it was mostly walking around, smoking dope, chilling with your bros, fucking prostitutes and doing jack shit 99% of the time.

I ended up talking to some vets and they more or less said the same thing. One thing I didn't know was, they sent them out into the bush for months at a time. I thought they just did patrols during the day and went back to base camp at night.

MAC V SOG were a bunch of big dick pipe swingers

If the US had listened to Curtis LeMay and flattened every structure above 9' in North Viet Nam the war would've been over in a few years. But the liberal "whiz kids" decided bombing dirt footpaths would be more effective.

In WWII he managed to flatten 50% of all the metropolitan areas in the Home islands. Keep in mind Japan is a much larger country than North Viet Nam, and the USAAF of the 40's was NOTHING compared to the USAF of the 60's.

youtube.com/watch?v=hOCYcgOnWUM

We EASILY could've flattened every major city in North Viet Nam. With no cities, no ports, and no infrastructure how could they've kept on fighting?

Old man was in Vietnam. Shit sucked. Growing up he never told me shit but these last few years after strokes, heart attacks, etc hes opened up. Told me how sometimes helicopters couldn't land so they'd literally get thrown out the chopper. Sure they tried to aim for rice paddies and mud but still fucked up his legs. Came back home with a limp and his legs never developed the way his upper body did. Also accidenlt got burned by agent Orange which in turn led to his descendants having bad skin and some cleft lip. I once asked him if he ever talked to a Vietcong and told me yes. One particularly funny story is when it was night and he was on guard duty and some slick Charlie came up crawling and asked "you American gi?" And my old man replied "yes. Get the fuck away if I find you I'm killing you" and Charlie replied "America GI good. I scared I forced" anyways when he came back through the bay area he was greeted by white liberal college fuck hippies calling him a spic baby killer. Mind you our Spanish ancestors been in Texas since the 1700s and our Indian ancestors far longer. Worst part is it took the military 30+ years to pay him compensation since he was disabled since he came back. Also had ptsd and could've taken the agent Orange shit to court but nah too time consuming plus he has Alzheimer's. Vietnam war fucking sucked. They saw way more combat then any iraqi, Afghanistan, ww2 etc vets

Did they throw gooks out of helicopters from high altitudes?

No but he did tell me how his staff sergeant executed a VC teenager by throwing him the side of the hill because the teenager was responsible for killing the baby of a friendly rice farmer the day before.

DONT FUCKING INTEGRATE KNEEPADS INTO THE PANTS ITS SO FUCKING STUPID

why is it that you don't see a display of that magnitude nowadays? Was it only because back then choppers were a fairly recent invention and also dick waving?

NO IT'S NOT, IF YOU HAVE PANTS THAT FIT THEN IT'S NOT A FUCKING PROBLEM

Probably had to do with the terrain in Vietnam, in Iraq or Afghanistan you can just drive a Humvee wherever you want.

no it doesn't dipshit

1) I dont want to fucking wear them in the office, so stupid for 99% of the time
2) they don't work anywhere as well as proper knee pads
3) pretty much everyone just removes them and uses proper kneepads
4) you can slide them down when not on patrol so your knees don't get all sweaty

its like they don't even ask soldiers about the equipment they create

re: the rest of the picture

just give the infantry an allowance to buy their own gear in the proper colour scheme. thats an awful vest, i couldn't begin to imagine how shitty that is to use

>2 posts in a row
>2 duubs in a row
The man has it, they're shit.

Sad that it's all happening over again now in the mid east. We really shouldn't be there...

U mean Syria?
U guys actually sent forces there now ?!