What does Sup Forums think of Sherman specifically and the Union in general?

What does Sup Forums think of Sherman specifically and the Union in general?

As a southerner, I think Sherman was a piece of shit. But there is no denying he was a damned good General.

I don't know him, but im sure he's a great guy.

piece of shit war drunkard who was before his time in pioneering warcrimes. if he had been captured, he wouldve been hanged for his actions against civilians.

I like shermans approach, but the union was garbage too. I don't know how I feel anout the war. On one hand slavery probably incentized negro reproduction; however, short of just shooting them, there wasn't a better solution. The union was garbage for flooding every city with people with no connection to the founding stock of the nation. What's victory when you return and become a stranger in your own cities?

He did what any army is supposed to do to win a war destroy and disable everything your enemy needs, at the same time as destroying civilian moral behind a cause by bringing consequences of war to the civilian masses.

Man understood how to break an enemy in every way, He decided to take off the gloves and the south is still pissy about it. You wanted war and he showed you war.

Anyone could've done his job

Toughest general the US has ever produced, by a mile.

We need more Sherman's.

not even kidding, he was literally my hero when I was a kid, US Civil war was my thing and I fascinated by the man for some reason

my first borns middle name is Tecumseh

Sherman was good general and a smart man, but a ruthless man. The Union was and is shit.

Dude literally did the same strategy that Winfield Scott layout in the beginning of the war, that was originally rejected by Lincoln because it advocated a long, full scale war.

>What does Sup Forums think of Sherman specifically and the Union in general?

I think you should do your own homework

The Union was the bad guys in the War Between the States.
Just like WW2, the good guys lost.

Exactly it's easy to win when you have superior forces

I love him because he still triggers dixiecucks to this day

Sherman was fantastic. 10/10.

>Ulysses S. Grant called him "that devil Forrest." Another Union general, William Tecumseh Sherman, it is reported, considered him "the most remarkable man our civil war produced on either side." He was unquestionably one of the Civil War's most brilliant tacticians. Without military education or training, he became the scourge of Grant, Sherman, and almost every other Union general who fought in Tennessee, Alabama, or Kentucky. Forrest fought by simple rules: he maintained that "war means fighting and fighting means killing" and that the way to win was "to get there first with the most men." His cavalry, which Sherman reported in disgust "could travel one hundred miles in less time it takes ours to travel ten," secured more Union guns, horses, and supplies than any other single Confederate unit. He played pivotal roles at Fort Donelson, Shiloh, the capture of Murfreesboro, the Franklin-Nashville campaign, Brice's Cross Roads, and in pursuit and capture of Streight's Raiders.[5]

Dont mind me just posting the best American ever produced.

he proved that ultimately, the only way the Union could win was by shelling hospitals and schools, and deliberately starving civilians.

Homework?

Probably the most based man in American history. His dealings with the Indians were dope too and ultimately fair to both sides. His 40 acres and a mule order could have saved this country from its racial history after the civil war if freed slaves had been able to own their own land instead of become sharecroppers.

You do know that the only reason the South did as well as it did was because it fought a defensive war from the start.

The union was using "anyone" before if you recall

The real MVP of the war. Faggot lincoln made him a scapegoat, just because he had shitty subordinates.

Mcclellan was garbage and you know it.

Lincoln was working on sending them back to Africa and had money allocated by congress for that purpose. Idiots southerners couldn't see beyond their butthurt and killed him which fucked that up.

for 3 years the Union was fighting thinking they were playing Terran

Sherman and Grant realized they were playing Zerg and acted accordingly

Nice bait
>George "I have the enemies fucking battle plans and the means to defeat them but im just gonna sit on my ass and do jackshit" McClellan

lol u mad bitch?

I doubt it would have happened even had he lived. the (((abolitionists))) would never have allowed it

Mcclellan sat outside Richmond like a little bitch. Worst general ever.

We need another March to the Sea. The Southerners have become too degenerate to save. Heroin, meth, and fatties everywhere.

Pretty accurate, they didnt so much as defeat Lee as they did expend troops he couldnt replace

He literally had money from congress and it was underway Most abolitionists were not for equality or race mixing, they just wanted to end slavery and didn't think through the end effect.

Nah Lee got smashed but only because the Fishhook was so successful and he was on the attack. Defenders could squeeze off 5 shots by the time a Rebel got close enough with a bayonet. Defenders had a clear advantage over attackers.

>he didn't lose, he just lost

Sherman was the best general in that war

When normies were all celebrating and assuming they'd win he started drinking heavily

Sherman: "This war will take years and hundreds of thousands of lives."

He was busted down in rank. Once his prediction is proved true, he is quietly promoted again.

"We can only win by inflicting pain upon the south. War crimes = victory."

Goes down to the south and literally guts their fucking cities one after another.

Literal legend.

Except that there were 864K Southern casualties to 829K Northern casualties. The South did as well as they could being outnumbered and outgunned but they still did worse.

Look up Sherman's letter to the mayor of Atlanta. The mayor begged sherman to spare Atlanta. Sherman's response is 10 pages of "Yeah, I like you and I know it's a war crime but I'm going to burn your whole fucking city down because that's what war means. We need to inflict pain until you're done."

One of the most savage documents from American history.

War is hell. Keep it hell. The worse it is the quicker it ends. That was his strategy.

I understand it's logic and in the case of the US Civil War it basically worked.

When facing crazy bat shit insane ideological wars of the Middle East and religion in general it doesn't work though.

He was the right guy at the right time.

Much like Patton.

Wow you sure do sound like Ivanka right about now

And how much of that was the fact that the Union could field stronger armies in multiple theaters while the rebs couldn't?

In the main theater (Virginia), the rebs were constantly at 60-70% of the union strength, and kicked their asses hard. Chancelorsville, 7 days battle, Fredericksburg, etc.

We need Sherman to burn Atlanta again.
And how much was the natural defensive advantage? It's common for defenders to do 2:1 damage. The rebs failed to do even that. They did worse than average as defenders.

Sherman was a war criminal. He was also a crazy fucked up alcoholic

If you are in a Cavalry unit in the US Army a toast is drunk to him during the ceremonial part of the Dining In. It was one of the most interesting things I ever encounter in the Army

He burned down Atlanta.

you mean war hero?

You are thinking of Grant you retard, hes the one the fake news pinned a drunk

A fucking hero. Get drunk, kill the enemy, destroy their means of production. It seems common sense now, but it wasn't how things were done back then.

Everyone and their cousin claims that on here, and yet I never see anyone cite legislation or documents. I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a myth.

The Confederacy should have kept it's ass in the South.

They only lost when Lee went over the border and wanted DC.

He was a fool and lost it all. Nobody should ever immortalize Lee or honor him. Nearly every fucking time the Confederacy was waging a defensive position they did great.

Never would have won but would have looked a bit better in the pages of history.

>destroy their means of production. It seems common sense now, but it wasn't how things were done back then.
That's how it's been done since ancient times. The mesopotamian armies would salt the ground when they left and tear down the city's foundations so no one could ever rebuild. Sherman went easy on them.

His only fault was that he was too reserved for a combat general, as a administrative and training general, there was no one better.

War criminal, but good general. Being both a Southerner and a supporter of state's rights, I hate the Union as a whole though

Regardless of what you think of the Civil War, Sherman's approach of total war is the only valid approach when dealing with an enemy. You destroy them utterly, so that they no longer pose a threat.

well, yea they all went to west point and other commission schools. it was definitely about who could use all that tactical troop mobility and out flank each other

Apparently not considering how many generals the union burned through before then.

As a Floridian I think he was awesome for fucking the ever loving shit out of the south and as a reverse southerner I think he was even more awesome for specifically fucking up Atlanta of all places.

Sherman's march to the sea is more like the world's greatest summer band tour. I'd go to ever venue just to watch it burn to the ground.

Grant too. Sherman had serious boughts of depression with heavy drinking. This is basic history. He was the fucked up SJW of his time.

They lost the Mississippi, then were cut in half again by Sherman. Even if Lee held fast it would have been on the same time frame; they couldn't fight without food or arms. Everyone focus on the battles in the east, but the war was lost on the other side of the mountains.

can someone give me a quick rundown on what this sherman guy actually did ?

>implying standing in a line shooting each other is destroying means of production

I think Europeans were more interested in capture of means of production. The advent of military maneuverability with flexibility of trains and steamship changed the importance of the home front. Things could be moved in bulk, and even if you couldn't hold it you had to prevent it from getting to the front and the fighters.

War like that worked though. It was the most sound strategy.

Now? Assured destruction of everyone is a sound deterrent.

It now comes down to which meme candidate can we elect to play theater while we all talk about it on social media and have fun and talk about the past.

It's a lot better. At least our daughters aren't getting raped, our sons aren't dying in war (unless they want to), and the memes are growing fruitful. We have it so fucking good.

Named my dog after him. He's a good dog.

You're totally right tactically.

Strategically, I'm unsure if the south would have fared well under a sustained blockade. I think Lee's aggression came about as a means to strongarm a peace to create room for southern economic recovery.

You're just mad he proved Southerns can't protect their women from themselves. Bring the yankees through once more and watch your population become white again.

Only at the beginning of the war when the army fucked him over for being pessimistic
Comparing him to SJWs is as autistic as SJWs comparing everything to Harry Potter

Got command of a small Union force (plan was his brainchild), and rampaged through the south, living off the southern land, laying waste to anything he could find. He had a few victories over Confederate forces, and was one of the few enterprising commanders to cut deep into the South's underbelly. By creating uncertainty in the core of southern territory, he made it impossible for the south to keep their full attention on the major fronts. Given the fact that defensive warfare was so powerful at the time, this was critical.

Alright dude. I didn't know this faggot was your god. I'm sorry

Dude, fuck McClellan. He inspired fear of the enemy/paranoia in his own ranks.

If any "real MVPing" is going to be done in this thread, it's fucking Winfield Scott Hancock or GTFO.

"There are times when a corps commander's life does not count."

Read Sherman's letters from the war. He was red-pilled as fuck. The Union was necessary. The balkanization of the US would not lead to the amazing scientific and technical advances of today.

war is hell

What a great man.

>He was the fucked up SJW of his time.
WTF are you talking about? He said nigger more than an overseer.

so he went straight up fucking guerilla

I have Thanksgiving dinner on your ggggrandmothers china.

War Criminal.

Good, it was made with lead based paint.

kek. nice comeback, johnny reb.

You must have missed the part where he prevented the ravaging of the southern population, and limited it to some good arson and starvation.

Hes a yankee nigger lover

Lmao, are you retarded?

Your gggggrandmother's sacrifice is appreciated.

Holy goddamn shit. What a terrible plan. They were so doomed. I mean they could plan out an insurgency. ISIS would eat this shit up but just no.

>guys got a great plan lets go back down south and never address the blockades, try to fight on the fucking Mississippi and make it a defendable boarder as long as the Atlantic is on our right, all the while our northern boarder is basically dead.

wrong.
Ebenezer Creek, Georgia, where on December 9, 1864, Union troops prevented thousands of black refugees who had been following them during Sherman’s March from crossing, and hundreds of the refugees subsequently drowned trying to ford the creek seeking to escape pursuing Confederate cavalry.

They were all uniformed soldiers, in fairly 'good' order, at least for the time and quality of citizen soldier.

Dixiecucks are still assmad that they are a bunch of losers. Giants fucking losers.

Meanwhile the North doesn't get tired of winning.

Yessir, Julius Caesar style. Everyone who knew the dude knew he was the smartest motherfucker in the Union army. And he saw war with a awful clarity.

That's why he was so massively depressed. He knew exactly what was going on. No delusions.