I hear people talk about 1984 a lot but brave new world seems closest to post modern culture...

I hear people talk about 1984 a lot but brave new world seems closest to post modern culture, perhaps with 1984 style surveillance but the even the surveillance is wrapped in a consumeristic and materialistic package (a smart phone being an example) reminiscent of brave new world.

Most people are drugged on some sort of medication and everything is pushed is related to personal as opposed to collective rights. We can also all agree that brave new world was far more degenerate culturally than 1984. What's your take on this Sup Forums? Are we heading towards a 1984 style society or a brave new world style society?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/detM0cKxWro
youtu.be/oBSvUlkB61s
youtu.be/C7cPUez_7v8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's both

If you're redpilled they have a 1984-style control system in place to keep you in check

If you're bluepilled they have a BNW-style control system in place to keep you distracted

This is a question related to politics.

Which one would you say it's closer to though? And which way do you think the future is headed?

>Which one would you say it's closer to though? And which way do you think the future is headed?
Its not closer to either. It depends on the individual. Both systems are 100% in place. The individual just "chooses" what they want to get subjected to.

If you actively avoid the celebrity worship, degeneracy and Soma indulgence then you end up realizing Big Brother is always watching and the ministry of truth engages in doublethink while sharing stories of fake wars and happenings on the news to keep us in our cage.

Both, somewhat. After all, these novels weren't meant to be literal prophecies. Both authors noticed disturbing sociopolitical trends and took them to the extreme in their fiction; so its to be expected that aspects of both would happen in real life.

>123335939
>the """question"""
go gather your data somewhere else. This isn' yahoo's Q&A blog

Fair enough but would you agree that the 1984 portion of our society is more or less rooted in the unofficial and unelected deep state while the economic and cultural portions of our society are more or less brave new world?

We are living brave new world but want something different, you know 1984 probley wasn't that bad. Our brave new world right now doesn't even give us free drugs.

Oh look.
It's this thread again.

I think we're closer to Huxley's vision. In the 1984 world, books are banned, censorship is from the top down and is everywhere pervasive. Although there is some soft censorship in our society, they don't need to go the full way because people have become so dulled by capitalism and liberalism that they don't bother seeking out dissentient information. You don't need to ban books if people aren't going to bother reading them in the first place. Political correctness is partly to blame. What will my friends think? What will my boss think? What will my family think? So you don't take the risk of seeking out counter ideas, you police yourself.

Fuck off Austria, go wear a hijab.

Why are these the only two dystopic novels in the universe apparently? Everywhere I go it's "was Brave New World or 1984 more accurate/better" like those are the only two relevant books.

Care to provide more examples?

>pick your poison

This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with a whimper.

See this thread mods? These are the type of threads you keep. FUCKING FOLLOW THE STICKY AND POL WILL BE GREAT AGAIN.

>Fair enough but would you agree that the 1984 portion of our society is more or less rooted in the unofficial and unelected deep state while the economic and cultural portions of our society are more or less brave new world?

No. Because the Deep State still has to pass legislation and that requires economic and cultural influence. Both sides are 100% at play it just depends on what pill you took.

Let's say you're a bluepilled degenerate, fully indulging in the Brave New World fantasy, and you finally start to wake up. You will find yourself a victim of thoughtcrime in your social circles. Just like that, flip from one control system to the next depending on the individuals perception of reality.

The most direct examples I can think of would be "Coke or Pepsi" which similarly throws out every other kind of carbonated sugar trash and gives you the choice of just one of those two to be your "favorite". I'll have to look for more common examples of asking a binomial question about something with way more than 2 outcomes.

>implying mods havent been told to keep datamine threads open for that Hiroshima moots can make at least some shekel off this godforsaken place

Why do you keep trying to force him into agreeing with you?

I'm talking about recommended dystopian books.

>Why are these the only two dystopic novels in the universe apparently? Everywhere I go it's "was Brave New World or 1984 more accurate/better" like those are the only two relevant books.
Because they are the two ends of the dystopian spectrum. Anything else would fall in the middle of the ideologies so it'd just be splitting hairs to discuss them

I'm not, I'm having a conversation, autist.

Fair enough.

We are living in a brave new world style society but I live in Iceland so I have it pretty good, no normies here, only intellectuals who couldn't be distracted by the Jews.

>victim of thoughtcrime
*Perpetrator of thoughtcrime

This is related to philosophy which is related to politics. This is a political thread.

What about Mad Max anarchy?

>A thread about belletristic
You are on the wrong board reddit
Again
and stop asking one line question to quantify the demographics you lazy piece of shit

I can only argue that in some societies there are 'free' drugs that come out of people's taxes. Here in the US, many of the distraction drugs are cheap enough and readily available so that even homeless people abuse them.

In 1984, being a prole was probably the best you could hope for, in my opinion. Inner party was too closed and outter party was just being a slave where your children hated you. Proles had prostitution, black markets, and were generally left alone to do what they wanted.

>anarchy
Then there's no control system in place and thus no reason to bring up 1984 or BNW to begin with ya dolt.

That would be interesting.

Rare

THIS IS MORE APPLICABLE TO REAL LIFE THAN THOSE TWO MEME BOOKS

Consumerism and degeneracy weren't the core aspects of BNW society. Everyone always forgets the heavy biological engineering, which made everything else work. It was basically genetic engineering before genes were properly discovered, so some weird fetal exposure theories are used instead, but it's the same general idea. In that sense the book is much deeper and more disturbing than 1984 but also farther off in our potential future because we can't achieve any of that sort of thing yet.

>because we can't achieve any of that sort of thing yet.
>can't achieve any of that sort of thing yet.
>that sort of thing yet.
>yet

That was really poorly written fan fiction.

This to be perfectly desu

I don't see you bitching on threads about tyrone's dick so stfu

Lad...
we are living in it.

>implying those who have the money aren't having designed children already

I also got the impression you were trying to make him agree with you, the point of conversation is not to affirm the question. You are more likely the autist.

These threads are always masturbatory in nature anyway. You didnt start this thread to discuss the topic, you just had an edgy (albeit unoriginal) idea for a post and wanted us to know.

I remember when I was 14 and discovered shit everybody older than me already knew about.

>pleb tier fictional dystopian writing.
If you want to know where shit is heading read this book desu.

>123339424
If those ain't obviously trash I don't know.
Btw, William, see you next week. Train a bit, I like to have fun while beating the shit out of you and sending your mother your cut off fingers

"The Circle" is pretty spot on

There is no other pill to take. So take the one that makes you ill.

We got both.

The soma, feelies, information & sensory overload of BNW

The surveillance, control of information & language, proles being an underclass to the ruling establishment, & the endless propaganda of war

>weren't meant to be literal prophecies
wrong.
both huxley and orwell were high-level secret society members.

It's been a while since I read it but wasn't that how it worked in 1984?
The vast majority of people were retards who were entirely content with gambling and whatever, but the books glossed over it because it's a much less interesting subject than how they control intelligent people.

i'd live in BNW town in a hot second

Yeah BNW isn't objectively bad like 1984.

BNW is literally the Institute from Fallout 4. The only bad thing about BNW is if you're a moralfag.

I wish

DHS reporting in:
youtu.be/detM0cKxWro
youtu.be/oBSvUlkB61s

>everything is pushed is related to personal as opposed to collective rights
you wot m8? we are being legally forced to associate with a collective that believes in ideas that we do not
you WISH we had personal rights
the bill nye videos sealed the brave new world for me.
history is bunk! MY OLD SCIeNCE FILMS ABOUT CHROMOSOMES? THOSE ARE HISTOBUNK!

MASSACHUSETTS BEST STATE

Got you covered pham

Here it is.

1984 is more like North Korea and China, Brave New World is more like a lot of the West. Only read 1984 though.

1984 is better art. Most people don't realize that's why they like it better. It's a subliminal thing, unless you really sit down and compare the two books for a while.

>The only bad thing about BNW is if you're a moralfag
where do you think you are

These books are trash

I don't actually agree with this. I think it's way too general. I also kinda think that the Institute has transcended ideological politics.

Yes, BNW is better and so was Huxley.

>/lit/ fag who can't have a discussion about a book because it doesn't have a Joyce fart scene

>become director
>still can't influence policy
It's pretty accurate. Post-WW2 Soviet Union government was mostly engineers.

Also, the Railroad sits squarely in the Retard Square.

Good god, what terrible fucking books.

Looks like all-inclusive Mordor

People are only traditionalist larpers on Sup Forums.

BNW is almost a perfect prediction of what western society would be if it weren't for political correctness. It's not meant to be a pure dystopian world like 1984 because there's still the drug addiction, caste systems, and cuckoldry. I truly believe that if WW1 never happened, of imperialism never stopped, and if whites never began bowing down to people because of their skin colors, BNW would be a reality by now.

>two well respected books regarded as literary classics
>"those books are trash"
HEADLINE: at just 19 years of age one Sup Forums user has developed literary tastes that far outstrip the general critical consensus of all other authors and scholars over the last 60 years

>BNW would be a reality by now
Thread Theme:
youtu.be/C7cPUez_7v8

proofs?

There really shouldn't even be a director of the Institute. There probably wouldn't be if it wasn't for Bethesda trying to surprise you with your son leading the Institute. It really doesn't make sense for them to have a leader. Just a coalition of leaders from the departments. Bethesda dropped the ball with the Institute. It could've been really incredibly cool.

Also the railroad is kinda a pointless faction with no real long term goals. They should just be a minor sect of the minutemen.

Is Bernard lives there?

This, people must not realize that we only explore the middle echelon of the 1984 society. Most people don't even have telescreens or if they do they aren't monitored through them. Goes to show many people didn't actually read 1984 and then complain about ignorance.

SPOILERS

One of the central problems in the modern world is the destruction of the family.

Brave New World describes it perfectly.

those quints

The simple fact that you can type this is the proof we're not in any of those dystopia

>letmefuckinggooglethatforyou
>what is fabian society
use a fucking computer pleb

I'm keeping my eye on you.

>not in any of those dystopia
its well know that the letter agencies troll Sup Forums and the chans on the regular.
>big brother is just dystopian fantasy

Libertarian alternative

>Lib right
>not neuromancer

It's actually reassuring that members of the IC still retain some of their humanity.

depends where you,re at geographically. if you oppose (((them))) in china its strait 1984 whereas in the west its more BNW

I think that or Snow Crash were the big alternatives for that chart, but I prefer

>If you're bluepilled they have a BNW-style control system in place to keep you distracted

I believe the term is "woke"

We nee more Huxley threads.

They're called Ancap meme threads

checked. kek says make one

The crux of 1984 is "he who controls language, controls the world."

It's a fucking important lesson and we should be horrified that so much control over the meanings of the words we use have been ceded to the insane fringes of the political left.

Or they use BNW and once the masses are dumb enough they slowly switch to 1984

why continue to spend monies on the masses, when they are so dumb you could all but enslave them

not only that, but if you start looking into the Mandela Effect reports, there may be evidence of actually tampering with the language - exact to the book. Words are now spelled and used differently than in many people's memories.

Fahrenheit 451 is the degradation of culture into laughable, palpable tidbits of shit so as to not offend anyone, with constant laugh tracks and "jokes", BuzzFeed, etc.
1984 is how the people LET themselves be taken over, in the name of tolerance and safety, it attacks any kind of totalitarianism, be it liberal or conservative it isn't okay because it always leads to chaos and lies
Brave New world is the people willingly ignoring the things that happen around them with government and media help
Yes, they "know" about it but they otherwise continue their hedonistic lifestyle and start other issues instead of focusing on what's important, glossing over things and acting like purely optimistic, over emotional children